Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It could also be D major (D E F# G A B C#) which could work since it sounds like your melody ends on a D, or E minor (same notes as G major, slightly different chords, but your melody notes outline an Em7 or Em9 chord). Could be B minor too (same notes as D major) but you didn't mention a B, so it might not imply that one too strongly.

VII is actually a great chord that pulls back to the tonic, it's not used so much in modern pop music but it's definitely a part of classic standard progressions. This really isn't my area but since they're both dominant chords, the V and the VII are interchangeable and both pull back to the I. You might want to look at your melody though, see what the strong notes are in each bar and work out which chords feature those notes - work out what progression your melody implies, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bar chords might be a good step too, they're difficult at first but it's good to start early!

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-006-BasicBarres.php

You should look at the lessons on that site too, it's a great resource and it'll give you a study plan to work through. Also, what songs would you like to be able to play? If you name a few artists people would have some suggestions, or you could check out the Favorite acoustic songs to play thread which has some popular simple open-chord suggestions. It's good to have a song to aim for!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Rothgil posted:

Apologies about the late response. I'm on an electric and I'm looking to get into blues later on.

In that case, if you already know E A and D then I'd learn E7 A7 and B7 so you can start riffing on some blues progressions!
http://www.torvund.net/guitar/index.php?page=Bl_12-bar-blues-in-e

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^ You love it! Personally I can appreciate a bar chord like B taking the effort to throw in an open chord version of itself, now that's class

Hanpan posted:

I'm trying to learn the Rage version of Maggie's Farm. Annoyingly, I can't seem to find a tab which sounds right, I got together with my friends for a jam and my guitar parts sounded totally wrong. I was wondering if anyone knows how to play this song and can help me find an accurate tab? I was looking for a tab book to buy but I guess because it's a cover such a book does not exist.

This seems mostly right:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/rage_against_the_machine/maggies_farm_ver2_tab.htm

The bottom string's tuned down to B though, which might be why you don't sound right. (Ignore the 'tuning' part at the top where the entire guitar's tuned down, the tab only has the bottom string tuned down.) You could just play everything an octave up on a normally tuned guitar but it would sound a bit weaker.

Anyway I'd change the D and B chords (x577xx and x244xx) that show up, they sound more like A and E to me (x022xx and 022xxx, although if you're in drop B that E power chord will be 522xxx) - try x0223x for the A in the parts where you just let it ring out, like the "scrubs the floors" bit. The part where it says solo should be a B I think, so 12th fret on the B string instead of the G string, and there's more palm muting in the 1:45 part:
-0---0---x-x-0---x-x-0---x-x-x-x-

The riff at the end is the usual one only it alternates the ascending/descending run with the A and E power chords. That's about it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hanpan posted:

Thanks for the detailed reply. It seems like this part:

B|--0-0-3p0--0-----0-3p0-5b---0-0--3p0

Is missing a note or something, I tried playing along with the song and it certainly seems to missing a note somewhere but I honestly can't figure out where :smith:

Haha sorry, I totally glossed over that - honestly this would be better as a listening exercise for yourself, try humming the riff or going 'da naaa nana' so you know in your mind exactly what you're trying to play. You're right that it's missing a few notes on that tab, they're repetitions of the three notes that are there though, so really it's about pinning the rhythm down and working out which of the notes you're hitting. If you're having trouble try skipping to 5:00 (I'm going off this version) where it's a lot slower and easier to pick out. Try listening over and over and humming it until you think you've got it, then grab the guitar

If you're stuck this is what I've got, but it's definitely worth doing yourself - it'll help you develop your ear :)

B|--0---0---3p0-0-0---0-3p0---5b----0---0---3p0-0-0

Actually to be more accurate it's more like
B|--0.--0---3bp0-0-0.--0-3bp0-x-5b----0.--0---3p0-0-0.-
The notes with the dot after them are cut short, like the one at the start of the riff is palm-muted slightly (it goes dn-daaah-deeenow na nw). The note on the third fret is bent up slightly before you pull it off, it gives it a kind of dirty bluesy sound, and that x is a percussive chuck you get by muting the string with your left hand and strumming it (or you could palm mute it) - you can hear this way better in the slow part at 5:00, it's covered up by a snare hit during the main song, but nobody would mind too much if you just played the string open.

Really it's a simple riff, but it's all about the feel. As you get comfortable with the rhythm and the nuances of it it'll click, and you'll get naturally expressive with your playing, and it'll be fun as hell

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

I'm asking, since in the guitar setup Youtubes, they seem to talk about it as a rule: lower pickup height = less magnetic pull on the strings therefore longer string vibration time.

I dunno about how much this matters at normal guitar distances, but I'd guess that a string very far away from the pickup would have little pull but it would have a weak effect on the pickup as well. As you moved them closer together the signal (and sustain) would improve until you hit the sweet spot, and after that the magnetic pull would start to have a greater (negative) effect than the increase in sensitivity from a closer string. Otherwise it would always be best to have the pickup as far away from the string as possible! So if you're below that sweet spot it probably does help to raise your pups a little. This is all guesswork but it makes sense logically... right? :ohdear:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 7, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There's a few tabs here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=move+on+up&search_type=title

The Kanye version's slowed down a half step though. You could go the funk route with the chords played on the top three strings, or these seemed to work kinda well:

Fsus4 x81010118
Eb7sus4 x68696
Ab6 4x354x
Bbm7 6x666(6)

You could use Ebm7 instead of the sus4 (x68676) but I wanted to get some of the notes from the horns in there too since it's a huge part of the sound, you could always jump between the two

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Also the full barre (it's called this because you just lay a finger across all the strings like a bar) is pretty difficult at first, but to make it easier you can rotate the finger away slightly (towards the headstock). That way you're using the edge of your finger and you avoid the gaps in the underside giving you uneven pressure.

You also don't need to fret all the strings - you have fingers fretting some strings higher up the guitar, the ones in bold: 133211. That means that although your index finger will be barring the whole first fret, it doesn't matter if you put pressure on those strings since they're being fretted higher up. You can concentrate more on the strings that do need to be fretted cleanly

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WolfAndRaven posted:

Yeah I was just wording it weird, I know the numbers ( 1234 ) refer to the fingers I use. Basically I just can't hold it right, or rather hold it tightly enough, so was thinking maybe I was gripping it in a weird way but after reading both your guys' tips on the barre chords it's just something I'll have to keep practicing.

Just a matter of training my fingers, cause it's super awkward right now and it sounds like poo poo simply because as Baka mentions I can't get full pressure on the strings that aren't fretted.

Thanks for the info guys! :unsmith:

Have a look at this too, it's always easier to see stuff!
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-161-F-chord.php

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Philthy posted:

Just to be more clear. Sometimes the hum is louder, some not. It happens in all 5 positions. On both of my amps. I have sat down with it once or twice with it being completely quiet. This past time the hum quiet until I plucked a string and the hum started. I know single coils are supposed to be a little noisy, but this would be too much for me to stand at lower volume levels. You hear the hum more than the actual guitar which is unacceptable. My other guitar (two humbuckers) is dead silent as far as hum goes.

It could be a shielding issue (there's a site about that here) but also keep your phone away from the thing!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm about to put my Jackson SLSMG in Standard D. What are the best string guages to use? I normally play a standard set of 9s and the general consensus for D standard online seems to be 11-52s. Sound about right?

I've not intonated it properly yet (can't see it making a huge difference though), but I put 11s on my Pacifica when I tuned it to D standard and they feel a bit floppy to me - pretty sure they were 11-49 though. The lower strings are the worst, a tiny squeeze on the bottom string and you get a serious pitch bend, but the heavier strings in the 11-52 set might fix that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Philthy posted:

I've been digging into blues a lot lately, and I'm finding playing with my thumb over a pick is giving me drastically better tone. I am coaxing out sounds I don't think I could ever do with a pick. Is this going to get me stuck later on when I move into metal and such? I am basically a total beginner still as far as I am concerned.

Fingerstyle's going to give you a different sound for sure, and there's definitely nothing wrong with playing that way - a few rock guitarists do it too (Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits is the first one that comes to mind). For something like the blues expressive is very good.

That said if you're relying on that exclusively you will have trouble with metal, where speed and precision are usually really important. A pick gives you a very clean, focused sound with a strong attack, and you can play very quickly too. Fast rhythm playing with chugging power chords probably won't come out too well without a pick either. I mean I'm sure there are a couple of metal players out there who play fingerstyle (there's always someone) but if that's your goal you should keep your hand in with both techniques. But use what works!

Thoren posted:

Can anyone tell me how to play these chords properly in Harry Chaplin's "Cats in the Cradle"?

Those are slash chords, all they are are D chords with a different note in the bass. So say you're playing open D, xx0232, the lowest note there is a D. For D/C# you just need to change that low D to a C#, like x4x232 (if you left that open string there it would clash something horrible). D/B would be x2x232 and so on - if you notice that bass note is walking down to the E chord at the end. If you're having trouble actually playing the chords let me know, sometimes with this kind of thing you can keep the chord fretted somehow and just move spare fingers around, other times you have to change your fingering as you go.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 7, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hypersober posted:

I bought a Yamaha Pacifica on ebay. The guitar only works puts out sound when the volume knob is turned all the way up to 10 (the seller neglected to mention this issue, btw). Is this an easy fix?

Been a while since I did any electronics but it's probably just that the potentiometer needs replacing - should be easy if you have basic soldering skills.
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/electric-guitar/electronics.php
Cleaning it might help too, although in my experience dirty pots tend to at least crackle and produce some signal as you turn them. This might not be the issue but it shouldn't be a problem if it is

uncle jimbo posted:

Just a tv and xbox maybe 15 feet away; stock Jackson DK2 through a Peavey Vypyr 60.

Is your phone in your pocket near the guitar? And are we talking hiss or hum or what

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Have a look at that link I just posted, it shows how you can pop them off with a rag or a couple of picks

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Moogs posted:

Is there any secret to memorizing the notes on the guitar or is it just a matter of practice? I'm going to try some flashcards tomorrow.

This is another great memorisation technique, and it'll teach you the circle of 4ths too!

http://www.studybass.com/lessons/fretboard-notes/studybass-note-name-memorization-method/

Basically the idea is you pick an octave range on one string (frets 0-11, 11-22 or whatever 12-note range reaches your highest fret), grab a metronome and play each note in the cycle to the beat. You're only focusing on a block of 12 frets on a single string at a time, and the challenge is to be ready for the next note when the beat comes around. You start slow and build up, until you can clear the entire fretboard in less than a minute.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Male on Sunday posted:

what are some good strings to put on an acoustic washburn (WD32SCE) with the primary style being folk/singer-songwriter type fingerpicking? I've tried some steel and silk D'Addarios, and although I really like the mellowness they sound a little "meek" for lack of a better word. Any suggestions?

You can look here to compare the types they make and the mellowness, if you liked the sound of those maybe flatwounds would be worth a try... do you know what gauge you put on though? Lighter gauges tend to sound weaker, if you bought the 11's then 12's might sound better to you

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's totally the B string that's the rear end in a top hat string.

Fuckin B string...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ honestly it shouldn't sound wildly different if your intonation's out, if your open strings are in tune they should sound fine until you start moving up the neck

Dickeye posted:

I posted this in CineD's chat thread to, but there's a problem with the way I'm leaving slack, because the few strings that I've managed to get on there have been in the wrong octave.

Like, low E and A? Those sound similar, but then I play the D (which was already on there) and it's a huge difference and doesn't sound right at all.

All you need to do when you're stringing it is pull the string taut, then let it out a couple of inches - I think someone said you should have enough slack to pull the string a finger's length away from the fretboard at the 12th fret, which is a good guideline.

As far as tuning it goes I don't think the slack should make a huge difference, unless you've left so much that the string can't physically wind around the peg enough (unlikely). Playing the A string at the 5th fret should be exactly the same as the open D string - if the D string is an octave higher then you'd have to play the A string at the 17th fret to get the same note, if it's an octave lower then the 7th fret of the D string should match the open A. Either way something is tuned too high or too low, you just need to retune those strings.

Here's a guide to how they should sound
http://www.pure-tone.com/catalog/cyberpitch_free_online_guitar_tuner.html

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 19, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

I know what you're saying, but the problem comes when I get to about the B, when the bit sticking past the post doesn't like to stay even after I bend it, and it keeps loving up the tension.

Is this an acoustic? I do what meatcookie does, hold the peg in with my knee and use one hand to turn the tuning peg, the other holds the string at the peg and guides it into place (I usually use my thumb to hold the string down so it wraps lower and lower around the peg.

Once it kinda grabs and you get tension it gets a whole lot easier, until then you want to make sure the string stays in place and the string's winding the way you want it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

Electric. Getting it to wrap lower is easier, I just make sure that I'm applying tension in the middle: Keeps the end at the bridge from coming loose, and by keeping it taut after the first loop you basically ensure it's going to go down.

It's getting the string to grab and get tension that's hard on the high strings, because it's so thin that it just slips around and doesn't actually tighten unless you magically grow a third hand to hold it at the peg so that it doesn't slip, while still applying pressure by the nut to make sure that it wraps.

What kind of bridge is this? The only reason acoustics are tricky is because you have to hold the strings in with pegs, until you get some tension on them the pegs are liable to pop out - I haven't seen any electric guitars with that setup before

Anyhow try doing it like this, it should hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhdxCECcl4

Locking tuner supremacy :smugdog:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Spider Crusoe posted:

Is there a reason I haven't seen a fretless guitar?

I don't know, is there? :v:

There are a few out there, the one I remember is the Surfretter but I think there are a few others. I was going to say maybe they're not generally useful, compared to say a fretless bass - if you're playing several notes at once and getting them to sound good could be tricky etc., but looking around youtube there are actually a lot of great videos so who knows!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

After the whole restringing debacle last weekend, I think I need to redo the low E next weekend. I wrapped it too many times, and there's nowhere for the string to go when I tighten it now. The last loop takes up the bottom of the post. Oh well, it's good practice.

You can still tighten it so it starts overlapping, it'll look messy but all you're doing is increasing the string tension

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Walked posted:

2) God drat it. gently caress the "A-shape" major bar-chord. God drat.

Personally I bar that with my pinky, I can't do it with my ring finger and clear the top string. Might be a bad habit but there it is!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Is that how it is for everyone? I just thought my finger was useless for not being able to bend like that. I do like my high E though, and if I need to do any sus4's or whatever I usually do the three finger thing though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you're having trouble moving your ring finger far enough, try doing the exercise higher up on the neck where the frets are narrower. It also might be worth doing the same exercise only fretting one finger at a time (instead of keeping them all down) just to get your finger used to moving around and fretting notes, to build up a bit of strength. It is your weakest finger too so it needs the help!

This will probably be helpful too, once you get that finger under control - try it anyway, seeing a video of the technique might help something click too
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-007-FingerStretch.php

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ABlix- posted:

I did have another question -- at the moment I don't have an armless chair and usually practice sitting on my bed. I do notice my posture slipping from time to time and sometimes my neck hurts after I practice. Is practicing on a bed a no-no or should I just be more mindful of my posture when I practice (most of the times it's when I'm frustrated and tense up a bit that my posture suffers).

If it's all you've got then go for it, it just might be harder to keep your back straight and not tense up. If you don't have support you have to use your muscles to hold a certain position. Try practicing standing up if you have a strap (which will help if you ever perform too)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's a shame things get archived so quick in here - it's not so high traffic that we get a mass of threads, and many of them are pretty high-content so it would be nice if they could stick around longer

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You mean tune your B to C and your E to F? I don't see why you couldn't play with it, it will make some chords difficult (including bar chords) but I guess it will let you stretch and get a couple of chord sounds you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

It is a crutch though, and you won't be able to play another guitar properly without changing it to your tuning. Why not just focus some of your practice on learning scale patterns and how the octaves work up there?

All you really have to worry about is playing notes on the B string one fret higher (e.g. a fifth above is 3 frets higher instead of 2), and the same on the E string if your start note is below the B string (so an octave with the root on the G string would be played 3 frets higher on the E string). Another way to look at it is if you move up across the G/B string divide you hop one fret higher, and one lower if you're going down. The B->E interval is the same as all the other strings, and it means the top and bottom strings are the same note too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Honestly you'd be best learning your box patterns over all the strings, just so your fingers know their way around. If you learn the note names so you know exactly what you're trying to play, that's another way of approaching it, and you could practice things like octaves so you get familiar with intervals. The more directions you approach it from the more it all gels into a picture. But if nothing else, learn your scale patterns so you don't even have to think about it.

And if you're actually going to school to learn to play, you really really want to stay in standard tuning - if you're using two slightly similar ones you'll end up making mistakes and second-guessing yourself, especially if you're struggling to deal with the strings now.

I know that all sounds negative and people do have success doing their own thing, but I wouldn't want you to limit yourself and then be bound to that crutch, just because this one aspect of guitar seems like it could be made to fit a better pattern, y'know?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

404notfound posted:

Are there any tricks to doing barre chords in the shape of 13331? It always trips me up when I'm switching chords quickly, and I can't find a way to reliably use only one or two fingers to press on the lower frets.

I just barre with my index (you only need to worry about the upper and lower strings of course) and fret the block of three with my pinky. I can't do it with my ring finger without muting the high E. Switching fast is a matter of practice but this one works for me. You can also do it with the ring finger or use all three spare fingers, which can be convenient for switching to minor/maj7/sus2/7th etc (all your open A chord variations basically)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

crm posted:

I'm trying to work on transitioning between chords, and I found that playing playing along with a song helped me - if not actually helped my technique, it certainly made practice more enjoyable.

So I've been playing the hell out of Wish You Were Here.

Any recommendations on songs I can play chords to that will that utilize a lot of C/G and specifically F? That's the big one, I can nail C/G/Am/A/E but F is kicking my tail all up and down.

You could try this trick too:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php
Basically it's a practice session challenge, trying to change chords as many times as you can in one minute, then trying to beat that target the next time. Even if it's not the funnest thing ever it's only a minute per session! You can do this kind of thing while you're doing other stuff (say watching TV), just sit there and fret different chords over and over. Building muscle memory's a huge part of it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MurraneousX posted:

drat, I gotta thank this thread. I had originally tried to play the guitar some 12 years ago. Unfortunately I was stuck with the school music teachers, feebly twanging my unamplified electric guitar in a room full of acoustic players, one of whom actually had some great musical talent. Unsurprisingly it turned out to be quite the disheartening experience.

That's honestly ridiculous - I don't know how some people end up as music teachers when they don't seem to care about people's enjoyment or the experience. I got told I wasn't allowed to learn how to play chords on the keyboard and I should stick to the way we were taught (Auto-Chord mode, press a low key for a chord).

The best music lesson was when the P.E. (gym) teacher had to look after us and just sat on a stool in the middle of the room reading and ignoring everyone, while we went rampant grabbing The Forbidden Instruments and actually enjoying music. I ended up doing a piano duet with a girl who could play clarinet :3:

A lot of people suggest getting a decent amp before worrying about your guitar, just because a crap guitar can still sound good through a great amp, but not vice-versa. My other recommendation is to try and play whatever you'd like to be able to play, any songs you love, and get as much enjoyment out of it as you can!

Millions posted:

I went to Guitar Center and plucked around on a few guitars as per this thread's recommendation, and found that the thin neck of a Stratocaster feels pretty comfortable in my hands. I've gotten big into David Bowie recently and am hoping to play some Ziggy Stardust era music, is a Strat the right guitar for this?

Honestly worrying about the tone of a guitar is probably way down your list of priorities, you probably won't even be able to tell the difference between the sound of a Strat and a Les Paul for a lonnnnng time (and sound is heavily influenced by the rest of your equipment anyway). If a Strat-style guitar feels right, go for it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Incredulous Dylan posted:

So I did go out and get a Strat after all - Fender Billy Corgan.

Hahaha, I didn't even know he had a signature one. No Lace Sensor pickups though :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That was cool, I haven't really read much about that before (although I've played around with voice leading without knowing what it was), thanks!

You put an X in the wrong place for your last G7 up there though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pyrthas posted:

Looks right to me.

DooGLAAAAASSSS!!!

Nah it got fixed ;)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Walked posted:

1) What's the difference really between delay and reverb?

I think technically reverb is the way that sound waves reflect off surfaces and arrive back at various times, sometimes with frequencies affected, which basically defines the sound of the space. So you can get a room sound, an 'I'm in the shower' sound, the sound of a hall or a cave or a whoaaaa space canyon etc. Think of it as the sound of the environment, from a room sound to an extreme sonic vista of spaciness. It's used a lot on vocals (sparingly), drums and atmospheric parts.

Delay is basically a sound repeating, sometimes just once and sometimes repeating several times and usually fading away. It can be used rhythmically or just for atmosphere - if you turn the delay time right down it acts like a really basic 'room sound' reverb (sound reflections get back to you real quick), and if you turn the feedback up enough the repeats stack up and you can get a really dense sound

This looks like a basic delay pedal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTVpc8b-vw

And here's a pretty basic reverb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJDEcLTyYdU

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 29, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

coolbian57 posted:

Hello everyone, I was wondering if an experienced guitar player could help me with some things I am a little confused about when it comes to mastering guitar. Most of my guitar playing career has been spent playing classical style guitars, or steel string acoustic guitars. For this reason, I do not have much experience with amplification, effects pedals, etc. However, I have a fairly nice guitar and amplifier. I have a Schecter Omen 6 guitar, and a Laney Hardcore Max 15w Amplifier. My question has to do with effects pedals. Basically, from what I have read online, I have learned that I have a Solid State amplifier, and that this alters my sound. I have read that the recommended pedal for me to buy now would be a distortion or overdrive pedal, so that I do not have to use the overdrive setting or way up the gain on my amplifier. This will result in a crunchy, yet still 'good' sound. It won't sound too 'bunched up', and there will be less useless noise in replace of crunch. Correct me if I am wrong here, or if you have other suggestions that would be awesome as well. I don't know much about Delay, Reverb, or other types of pedals, and a primer on those would be good as well. I know that I would love to be able to have a sweet Surf Rock type guitar tone, which means I will need some reverb. I guess this is a long winded question, but really my overall question is what guitar pedals should I get if I have $100-$200 to spend, and I want to have both a good clean guitar tone and a good distorted tone for metal.

Not 'experienced' (although I really should be after this long) but let's see. Have a look a few posts up, there was a little discussion about delay vs reverb and I posted some videos to give an idea. Have a dig around on youtube and listen to some pedal demos, you'll get to know the basic sounds of different effects and might start noticing them in songs you like. In general single pedals are best, and you'll probably end up building a collection, but it might be worth looking at a multi-effects unit too - that's an all-in-one unit that simulates lots of different effects. I don't know what's good now but you could probably get something like a Pod used for cheap.

Guitar amps traditionally used valves, which give a particular colour and character to the sound. More expensive amps still use them, but for small amps especially you're more likely to have solid-state technology (transistors basically). Some actually like this sound better, some amps have technology to make them sound and respond more like a valve amp... anyway an overdrive/distortion pedal will probably sound a lot better than the distortion on your amp, and you want to play metal your amp's distortion might not cut it at all. Try going to a music store (bring a guitarist friend if you like) and ask to try a few pedals out, get a feel for the noises you can make.

coolbian57 posted:

Another question I have is that the A-string on my guitar seems to be buzzing worse and worse every time I play it. How do I fix this? From my research, it is most likely that I will need to take it to a guitar luthier to have it 'set up'. What does 'set up' mean in laymen terms? And how much would this cost me? This buzzing is coming through the amp and it really pisses my guitar teacher off every time it comes through.

You don't need to take it to an actual luthier, most guitar stores will do a basic set up. They basically restring it, adjust the neck and the action (the string height) to avoid buzzing while keeping it comfortable to play, and adjust the intonation to make sure it's in tune everywhere on the neck. They might do some other basic stuff too like filing the frets a little. Should cost around $45-60 or so? Read around on Yelp or something to find a local store with good reviews, Guitar Center probably isn't a good idea.

It's possible there could be a bigger problem - my second-hand guitar had a really worn fret that buzzed like crazy and needed to be replaced. They can let you know what needs doing though, try bringing your guitar in and letting them see what they think.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Honestly people are gonna recommend you get a Rondo guitar set up too - if you buy a guitar from a reputable music store they'll probably have it set up when you buy it, not so much if it's a mail-order one. It could be fine, but the idea is you make sure it's as playable as possible - especially important if you're new, you want to know what a guitar should feel like and you don't want to start developing your technique around a badly set-up guitar.

It's up to you if you think setting up your current guitar is worth it though. If it doesn't feel like something you want to sink any more money into you're probably better off putting it towards a guitar you really like.

Here's a quick round-up of some of the current multi-fxes
http://magazine.dv247.com/2010/11/12/which-guitar-multi-effect/
I have no idea what's good right now, and those are all probably pretty expensive but they have cheaper versions too. If you see anything in your price range have a read up or listen to some youtube demos and see if it looks good

This seems like a pretty cool effects blog by the way:
http://effectextra.blogspot.com/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

coolbian57 posted:

Thank you for your input. I'm going to go ahead and take my Schecter to the store and see what's up. I will get it set up and see if that makes it better to play with... if not I will sell it and go with the Rondo.

Another question I have, and I fear that the answer may be simply that I have poor equipment, but why would my amplifier produce background static when I plug my guitar into it? There is a noticeable level of static occurring and I can hear it during recordings. It also crackles sometimes. What is going on here?

I don't really know! You should check out the Rondo thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1937279

I think the basic deal is the cheap ones are decent for the price, and some of the more expensive ones are hella awesome for the price. So either way you're getting a good instrument. The reason I mention it is people might recommend some other Rondos as better than the one you want, but they might cost more too, but you're probably not losing out by getting a cheaper one, y'know? The one you mentioned might be one of the rad ones, I don't know.

You could always take your Schecter down to the store and ask them to have a quick look at it - they should be able to tell what the problem after a quick play with it, and tell you if it can be fixed with a set up or if it's a bigger issue. Most indie stores won't mind at all. You could also pick up a Les Paul-style guitar (like your Agile) and see how it feels!

Oh the crackling thing, it could be a crappy cord (jiggle it and see) or a bad jack connection or just bad shielding. Or it could be the amp too, if it's old and has dirty pots (the components behind the knobs). I think shielding issues are more obvious when you touch the strings and get a click - I get that with my bass but my practice amp runs on batteries so I just use those now, the problem's only there when I'm using mains power.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 3, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

coolbian57 posted:

Yes! It clicks and clacks around when I press down on the strings. I always thought this was normal, but I guess not. What does it mean that I have a shielding issue?

Something like this? http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/qa0904-8.htm

It might be more of a grounding issue, but it's not really my area - I just ignored it on my bass since I use the batteries :v: It might be an internal wiring issue, like a loose ground connection on your volume control:
http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php

If you mention it when you go for a set up they'll probably be able to take a look at it for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Faffel posted:

I'm just working on chord changes and some scales now... I'm staying away from playing music because any songs I can play with such poor skill are songs I don't really listen to. I hope I can work my way into the kind of music I like in the next few months. Stuff like stoner, doom and drone music would be awesome to play, but I suck too much right now!

That's not necessarily true, a lot of that music is about the sound and the atmosphere and isn't technically difficult at all (like say some Earth songs). There's a skill to making it sound good, but that's technique that comes from trying to play the material. Keep up with your practicing, but don't be afraid to give things a try and have some fun! You are learning guitar so you can play music, after all