Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Zakalwe posted:

The trem is a fairly underused device that on cheaper (and even expensive) guitars can just cause headaches. A Floyd Rose trem in particular can be a pain in the rear end to setup and retuning your guitar to a different key is more difficult.

This is incredibly true. For a beginner's guitar, I'd avoid tremolo systems all together. They're just a headache to maintain and use. Plus, they're not nearly as cool as hair metal would make them out to be.

One of my favorite guitars, which I'm quite sad I sold a few years back, was a fender double fat strat (2 SD humbuckers) with a hard tail. No tremolo whatsoever. We were playing a gig and I snapped 2 strings in one song and the thing 100% stayed in tune. My beloved mexi-strat with it's never-used tremolo system would've shot outta tune in a heartbeat.

Likewise, I bought a DeArmond M75T (T for Tremolo) with a huge bigsby tailpiece on it. Within a year, I'd had a hard tail installed on it as the stupid thing would go out of tune in one song.

Anyway, yeah, avoid tremolo systems unless it's something you're absolutely 100% dead set on and plan to use often. As a beginner, you should focus on the basics and finding a solid, reliable guitar before being concerned with flashy things like tremolo systems.

Edit: Sad day, just realized Fender's not making any dual-humbucker hard tails anymore. :(

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Kaddish posted:

How hard would it be to get a humbucker installed on a standard 3 single coil strat? A guy at work is willing to sell his mexi strat and I'm thinking about getting that instead of an Agile but I like the idea of the noise reducing pick ups.

Or should I not even worry about it?

I adore my Mexi-Strat, but I replaced the pickups with vintage noiseless "stacked" humbuckers. They look like single coils and fit into a single coil slot, but they don't buzz like crazy. Best $100 I ever spent.

Fender's whole point of making these were to make humbuckers that sound very close to a single coil, but without the hum & buzz. They're not 100% accurate single coil recreations, but they're awful darned close.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

man thats gross posted:

I'm actually going to be starting guitar lessons this week to fill in these seriously ugly blanks. It's something I should have done 10 years ago.

Let me know how it goes since the rest of your post sounds so incredibly similar to my story. I took two lessons about 8-9 years ago but stopped when the stupid poo poo tried to buy pot off me during a lesson. I don't smoke and the whole situation struck me as very awkward.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Meh, my go to guitar for ~14 years has been a Mexican Standard Stratocaster w/vintage noiseless pickups. A value of less than $400 when I bought the guitar and pickups. I have an American reissue Jazzmaster too. It cost me $1300. Is there a noticeable $900 difference between the two? Nope. I love the way both of them sound and play.

The bottom line is play what you like. Handle a ton of different guitars before you buy and see which ones feel and sound the best. Even if you can't play yet, you can appreciate if a neck is too fat for your hands, the frets are too far apart for your reach, or if the loving thing slides off your lap while you're playing (ovation, I'm looking directly at you).

I'll be in the market for a new acoustic here shortly and I plan to visit every guitar shop I can find to see what I like best.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Ha. The closest I came was having 2 strats at once years ago. That double fat strat with a hard tail I mentioned a few pages ago, and my mexi-strat. I've never been much of a guitar collector because all my disposable income goes to guns. :)