Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

El Kabong posted:

I'm working through Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar and I was wondering if it is better to practice just one exercise for 30 mins?

I've been working through the same book (I have 1-3 bound together), and I've found that there are some lessons that only take 10 minutes to grasp, and others that take me a few days to get through. Basically, don't worry about moving on until you're comfortable with what you were supposed to be learning in that lesson. I will also occasionally revisit older lessons just to make sure I can still do those exercises well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheGopher posted:

Will do, would never have guessed the toggle switch could be the issue rather than the pickups themselves.

That's the exact reason I haven't used the bridge pickup on my guitar in ~6 months. All it would take is a 5 minute trip to Radio Shack too, but I'm lazy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheGopher posted:

How the gently caress do I make noises like Jack White can? Jesus christ the guy turns the guitar into a noise machine just as well as Tom Morello, only I can understand how Morello can make some of the sounds through feedback, clever toggle switch usage etc. It just seems like Jack White stands there and doesn't do anything obvious but can make the guitar shriek and wail like he's taking a hammer to it. Please somebody enlighten me because it's a loving mystery to me.

Watch It Might Get Loud, that should provide you with a little insight into his attitude and the sounds he makes. Also, revel in how poorly "The Edge" is actually able to play.

edit: that post was farther back in the thread than I thought. oh well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Philthy posted:

The Edge seemed more obsessed with effects more than anything else. I didn't think he was a poor player, just someone who wanted to use any and every tool available to him to make unique sounds for each song.

There's a scene towards the end where they're all sitting around talking about the chord progression of a specific song, and Edge seems to be totally lost.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SaucyPants posted:

I think it has more to do with that deep south blues style he seems to like more than the punk side. Think about the part when he is explaining that song I can't remember the name but its the guy that just claps and sings. He talks about the off-beat clapping and how everything doesn't have to be perfect.

That's a son house song, and he talks about it in the docu that I linked earlier.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Justin Guitar has some good ear training lessons, which have helped me out a bit.

http://justinguitar.com/en/AU-000-AuralTraining.php

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Philthy posted:

I've been a fan of the Jackson necks with the sharktooth design for whatever reason. I noticed this over at Guitarfetish. I currently have an ESP LTD M-10 starter guitar that I've swapped some SD pickups in and I'm enjoying it for what it is. I was thinking of getting this neck and some tuners and basically turn this into my beginner/build guitar.

Would this just bolt right in place of my current neck? Current is bolted on with 4. This looks the same.

Current guitar does not have a Floyd Rose, it's just a string through body. Would that even matter? I have no idea what a Floyd Rose nut really is.. Does that just mean it's a locking nut? Shouldn't really matter, should it?

Any comments about this idea I'm banging around?

I've been looking for my second guitar, and I've tried so many with not much luck. So in the mean time I'm just modding my current one until I find "the one".

The floyd rose nuts should be three square nuts that clamp the strings in place to help keep the guitar in tune when using a floyd rose bridge. Shouldn't make a difference if don't have a floyd rose bridge, and you can just take them off and leave them off.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I know a bunch of scales, but only to the point where if you said "Play A natural minor" and I'd be able to. Similarly, if you played a chord progression that began with Am I'd happily use that scale to improvise a lead over it.

Annoyingly I've only ever learned these scales as a finger pattern so while I can play them, I'm not solid on intervals or even the notes that I'm playing in the drat scale.

Does anybody have any recommendations for theory books, and is it the kind of thing I can learn without having a guitar handy? Something to work at during my lunchbreak would be ideal.

If you have a computer available, https://musictheory.net has a number of interactive exercises, including fretboard identification.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

crm posted:

Where can I find some backing tracks? Specifically some basic, slower blues stuff

Record yourself playing a slow 12-bar? 12-bar starting with A7 is really easy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My wife bought me a new acoustic guitar for christmas this year, and I've been noticing a buzz coming from the bridge on some of the strings. It was set up by a local shop when she bought it, but is there any adjustments I can do myself to fix it, or should I just bring it back by there?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wanted to try to learn Calamity Song [youtube]from The Decemberists' new album, but all of the tabs I can find are obviously wrong. Anyone willing to help me out?

edit: found one: http://www.indieguitartabs.com/bands/decemberists/calamity_song.html
never seen this tab site before, looks pretty good

also the iphone app Capo, while being ridiculously overpriced, is unbelievably useful for figuring out new songs.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 14, 2011

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I would just like to comment that I picked up a slide yesterday. Tuning to Open G and everything I do sounds awesome.

Any suggestions for actual songs to try out?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SUBLIME! posted:

I've got myself a guitar and while I'm still trying to get an amp I was wondering about instructors. Are online guitar lessons worth anything at all or would it be much more beneficial to have lessons in person? I came across guitartricks.com and it looked alright but I'm a bit wary of websites with terrible names designed to take your money and be lovely.

My recommendations:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

plus a decent instructor

and maybe either the Mel Bay or Hal Leonord method books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, and if this is the case, please bear with me.

I'm just looking for some advice about some guitar modeling software. I am planning on picking up a Scarlett 2i2 soon, and would like to know what the consensus would be on either Amplitube 3 or Guitar Rig 5. Is there a clear winner, or is it super subjective?

I feel like this would be right up Agreed 's alley.

I've used both, and bought Amplitube. In my opinion they're both equally good in modeling quality, I greatly prefer the UI of Amplitube. Guitar Rig should have a demo, and Amplitube has a free version and is now using an al a carte model for additional effects and amps.