Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Rotten Cookies posted:

I find that people underestimate what "comfortable" means in an effort to move on earlier. This doesn't mean when you can play it a like 2 times without messing up. It means, if somebody were to ask you "Hey, can you play ex. no. 19?" you could say "Sure, no problem!" and play it 3 times right in a row. Know it. And DEFINITELY go back to older exercises. Just because you've moved on to other things doesn't mean you can't benefit from more basic exercises. It's humbling to trip up on "easier" stuff.

I don't know if this is great advice. To quote from the introduction of that book:

quote:

Do not skip or "slight" anything, and also do not attempt to "completely perfect" any one lesson before going on. Playing technique is an accumulative process and you will find that each time you review material already studied it will seem easier to play.

Basically, you should review constantly, but don't hesitate to move on after you've got a handle on the exercise. If you spend too much time on one exercise you might regress in some other area. That said, you shouldn't be too eager to move on. Never skip material that is difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Also it might help to take your fretting finger off the string as soon as you sound the harmonic, so it can ring out cleanly

Um, does this actually work? Shouldn't it change the note when you change the length of the vibrating string?

quote:

might it be useful to put "buying my first guitar" questions in a larger gear recommendation thread? It seems like at least half the questions in this one are about purchasing a guitar rather than playing it.

Part of me wants this to happen, another part feels that this thread will see no action if you cut out the gear discussion.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Dickeye posted:

See, I've got the relative pitch thing down. It's knowing what that first chord is that kills me, because now that I get the I-IV-V and I-V-IV thing (depending on the song!) it's even easier to put it together if I could figure out that first loving chord

You can't figure it out just by listening. To do that you'd need absolute pitch, which is widely regarded as impossible for an adult to learn (don't let that get you down though, absolute pitch isn't required to be a good musician and can even be a hindrance sometimes). As has been pointed out, you'll have to use a known reference pitch to find out what key the song is in.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Tarnien posted:

No I know how to figure out what the notes should be on paper - I'm saying in terms of finger arrangement. So if I know G is 320003 - from this, is there anyway to know G7 is 320001, without just knowing what G7 is? For instance "Oh, you want to make a major chord into a 7th? Just slide your highest pitch note down 2 frets!" or something similar (but obviously more complicated, I'd imagine).

For every chord you know, you should also know what function each note you are holding down serves. Taking the Gmaj example, from the lowest string to the highest, you have the: Root (G), Third (B), Fifth (D), Root again (G), Third again (B) and lastly the root again (G). Most seventh chord voicings replace one of the higher roots with a 7th (F in this case). Since you can't shift down on the open G, that leaves you to slide the highest G down to the first fret. Also note the other common phrasing of that chord, 320033, replaces a third (B) with a fifth (D) on the B string.

Thinking of things in this way is useful for other shapes, especially the movable ones. It is also useful for learning the difference between major and minor chords (although they are pretty easy to memorize too). Going from a major chord to a minor one simply involves sliding the 3rd down a fret so that it is a major third as opposed to a minor one. For example, in the x02220 A major chord, the 2 on the B string (C#) is the major third. Moving it down to a minor third (C) gives you A minor: x02210. And if instead you wanted the 7th, you can replace the A on the G string with an open G: x02020. And since that shape is a barre chord you can apply that all over.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Got a new guitar, when I play with the strap standing up the headstock likes to dip down (below level even). I like to play "classical" style when I'm sitting, ideally the guitar would be in the same position while standing. Any suggestions for fixing this?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Joe Pass Emperor II (hollow body). The leather strap is a decent idea, I'll look into it

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Does anyone have a good definitive source of chords? Most of the ones I see don't have inversions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Fugue Stater posted:

I'm finding this fretboard memorization game to be pretty useful:

http://www.fretboardmaster.com/fretboardgame.html

I've been doing the "Find The Note" version and focusing on one string at a time. Medium difficulty is perfect for me, since it does everything at the 7th fret and above, which is where I have trouble. Oddly enough, this has now helped me sorta memorize the 17th fret: AECGDA (OK that did take me like 6 seconds to write).

I found this exercise very helpful for learning the fretboard: http://musicdiscipline.com/lead-guitar/notes-fretboard/1/

I've been memorizing one or two more notes per day, going through the circle of fifths (might as well learn that at the same time). I've got 4 more to go before I have every note on the first 12 frets for all six strings.