Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What kind of coin should I be looking at spending on my first electric? I'm factoring in 2nd hand ones too.

e: I should mention, I'm in the UK.

Falken fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, I'm going to be the proud owner of a Fender Stratocaster in brown sunburst thanks to a trade with a friend.

All it needs is a jack put in which shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I'll still need an amp, so I'll pop down the local music shop and see what they have. I've been advised that Vox make some good stuff?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, I ordered a Vintage V100 in Flamed honeyburst from Dolphin Music. I had a go of one in my local music shop and fell in love with the thing. I'll be going into town on monday to get a tuner too.

As I've not really played before, would I be advised to have the thing checked over before attempting to use it, or should just getting a tuner work ok.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Is it new or is it used? If it's used, definitely go get it checked out. Most places will charge you $50 US or thereabouts and they'll go through the basics, unless you ask for something a little more specific (ie I had to tell the guy to straighten my neck, it was included in the price but wasn't an ordinary service). They'll check the electronics, restring/retune, that kinda poo poo

If it's new, you could probably get away with just getting a tuner if you wanted, but feel free to take someone else's word on this over mine.
It's new.

How much should I look to spend on a tuner?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I have a problem, not sure how to solve it.

I'm currently training myself on switching chords around, and I'm hitting a pretty big wall with D to A. Other chords don't give me problems, but I think my guitar isn't set up right.

If I get onto A chord quickly, I find that the 3rd string buzzes like crazy, even if it's in the middle of the 2nd fret. Other frets don't do this, and it seems to be a problem across the entire 2nd fret.

All of the demonstration videos and images I've seen seem to show that I haven't got my finger too far up the fret, and I'm certainly pressing down hard enough (can barely feel my finger after a while).

Should I go take the thing back to the shop to have them to look it over? There's no reason why I should be having trouble with this when I can switch from D minor to D without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Right, I'm in the market for a new guitar. I'm still pretty new but I do love the hell out of playing. Right now I have a Vintage V100 (Les Paul clone), and a Squier Stratocaster (got it off a friend for free, hate the poo poo out of it. I will never play this thing most likely).

I'm definetely a fan of the thicker neck that's on the V100, and I had a go of a Michael Kelly Patriot, and thought it was absolutely fantastic to play. Everything just felt spot on, and I was definitely more comfortable playing it than my V100.

Before I go and put the cash down on one, is there anything else I should look into that'd be up my street? A thicker neck is very important, and I didn't like the thinner neck on the Strat.