Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I have a simple question that isn't just about guitars: Are you ever too old to learn a musical instrument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Yeah that's what I always thought I just wanted anonymous confirmation.

I realise it's going to be more difficult when I'm older but I'm sure the satisfaction from learning an instrument will be greater.

Now I just have to decide on which instrument. I'm leaning towards the guitar but it seems more complex than I thought.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Dolphin posted:

Practice 8 hours a day for 2 years and you'll be better than anyone on your block.

Practice fatigue blah blah, whatever.

You're never too old to learn an instrument. I started learning violin at 7 and there was an 80 year old woman in my instructor's slot before me. She had been playing for 2 years and was really damned good because all she did was practice. This was violin, arguably a much less friendly instrument to get into.
This is awesome. Makes me want to go out right now and get a guitar and start practicing.