Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Famicom Bunko posted:

So I don't really know what I'm looking for here. What exactly is the extra $100 getting me? Could anyone recommend anything better for someone who has been learning the chords to a bunch of John Frusciante songs and recently started learning songs that involve picking? Which is to say up until now I've mostly just been a folky campfire guitarist.

You can compare specs here:

http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

The 3100 is a better guitar built from higher quality materials. If you don't need the whammy bar, the 3100 will be much easier to restring. If money is an issue the 2500 will work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Aredna posted:

Are there any recommended inexpensive metronomes? I'm looking for something standalone currently, but would be willing to use something on my Android phone if it's highly recommended.

I'd go with the Korg TM-40 which is $22 on Amazon and combines the Korg tuner (ca1) and metronome (the above KA30) into one unit.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

nrr posted:

It looks like I'll probably only be able to afford a studio, but there's a slight possibility I could get talked into the next level up, so any advice on customs etc might be a bit out of my league, but any help you guys can send my way would be great.

I think bitching about Gibson's QC is the flavor of the month really. Of course some guitars have defects, but the majority come out just fine.

I assume you want a guitar that says "Gibson" on the headstock and not "Epiphone," and there's nothing wrong with that. If your budget is around $1k, so I'd suggest the 50s/60s tribute studios, which were about $850 new and can be had used for less.

The best value on a custom will be a used r7 or r8, which are 1957/58 historic reissues - some of the best les pauls you can buy (all solid body, no PCBs, etc), but they will be $2400+ (used).

Realjones fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 12, 2012

Realjones
May 16, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I asked this a couple of pages back and didn't get a reply so I figured I'd ask again.

Does anyone know of or have a trusted guitar luthier in the NoVA/DC area? I need to have one of my electric guitars set up, badly and would hate to have to take it to Guitar Center.

Thanks as always!

I've taken guitars to Crossroads Guitar Shop in Arlington several times and never had any issues. They have a plek machine if you are looking for that as well.

There is also Action Music - I have not had any guitars set up there, but it is the same type of small guitar shop and I have seen them working on guitars while shopping around and I would have no issues on taking a guitar there either.