Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've never played the guitar before. I recently sort of remembered that my ex had given me this Ensenada FG-43 and I had it re-strung (though I've learned to do it myself since) and started strumming around. It was really a bitch to play and learn with because it was so old and lovely, so I sunk a little money last night into a new Martin DXK2AE. I was fooling around with a bunch of different steel string guitars and I just ended up loving that one.

I am reading up on all of this music theory while my first thumb blister goes away from my old lovely guitar, but I can't wait to jump into things with what I am learning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been really looking at Rock Band 3 but I don't want my first electric to be some poo poo electric just to play a videogame. I wish there was some way to adapt a guitar to the game but I know that there's sensors built into the board :(

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am currently shopping around for an electric and I have come across the following two items at guitar center:

Fender 72 Telecaster Thinline Electric Guitar - $800

Fender Super Champ XD Guitar Combo Amp - $300

From what I've played in my price range (pretty much $1,100) so far, I like the combo. Apparently the Tele parts are made in the US but assembled in Mexico. Can anyone (without being a dick) recommend anything else I may want to look at in the same price range for either a guitar or amp? If you had to ask what I was looking to eventually play, I'd probably say chicago style 50's blues but I guess you never know.

I heard one of the employees complaining about Domino's and I figured I found someone who might help me get a better price. He told me basically that I could use a 10% off coupon with one of the items, but if I purchased both in two weeks at full retail and then came in with them on Black Friday I'd be looking at 20% off on it all in the long run from the 30 day price guarantee. Anyone know if this sounds legit?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the good advice there. My only hang up with the used market (besides the usuals) is the whole deal with the coupon, as it may allow me to buy a new guitar for what a used might run, so hopefully someone here may know something about it. I am definitely looking for more suggestions, and will be scouring my local Best Buy music store for other used guitars in the interim.

Edit: Well, that sealed the deal! I went into Best Buy during lunch just to fool around while I waited and I saw the exact same guitar, on clearance for $650, and had them take an additional 10% off since I was buying an amp. Which amp?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-III-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-H12886-i1552007.gc

That is about as good as an amp I can afford is going to get, I figured. I really loved the tones.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 20, 2010

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Those are some beautiful looking guitars IMO.

Man that 72' Strat would be a hell of a pairing with my 72' Thinline Tele

:swoon:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Isn't there a difference in the quality control and parts used? Whenever I shopped around my guitar playing friends would all agree that an american made fender was vastly superior to whatever squire knockoff version.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan from last year posted:

I've never played the guitar before. I recently sort of remembered that my ex had given me this Ensenada FG-43 and I had it re-strung (though I've learned to do it myself since) and started strumming around. It was really a bitch to play and learn with because it was so old and lovely, so I sunk a little money last night into a new Martin DXK2AE. I was fooling around with a bunch of different steel string guitars and I just ended up loving that one.

I am reading up on all of this music theory while my first thumb blister goes away from my old lovely guitar, but I can't wait to jump into things with what I am learning!

Woah - update on my progress from page two of an excellent thread! I now play twice a week with a mixture of very skilled and beginner musicians who are also my close friends. We all meet at my buddy's house, and his father has been in a million bands and has tons of equipment (awesome living room setup) and he jams on keyboards while we all play old songs, and he teaches us as we play. In the beginning I only really "practiced" while jamming, but now I practice all the time and have learned all the usual music theory for my level. The "band" even gifted me with a nice keyboard for Christmas, which I use to compose after I've thought about it for a while. I now own two guitars, the Martin above and a Fender 72' Telecaster Thinline. I bought a Fender Blue Jr. III amp with the Tele, and the combo I found to just be amazing.

I sort of ignored the Martin for a few months while I played the Tele, but recently I have come to have a real appreciation and love for my acoustic, especially after playing so many others at the jams. There's really a universal love among all the musicians there for that Martin, and I can't recommend it enough for a beginning guitar player who wants a quality acoustic that will likely hold a lot of its value and keep you wanting to play.

My guitar playing has really satisfied the creative side of me and I don't think that from this point forward I could go without being able to compose and play on my guitar. I love the Tele and have babied it like nothing else, but I plan on selling it soon and grabbing either an american standard Tele or Strat - I'm going to play a lot of both and decide which. It's all pretty exciting! Actually, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to sell my Tele? I'm guessing maybe Craigslist will have to do - I don't want to pay for auctions, etc.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I did go out and get a Strat after all - Fender Billy Corgan. What a beautiful sounding guitar - no hum whatsoever and just incredibly clean and bright tones. The guys at Best Buy all begged me to take turns playing some solos on it before I left, since it was the last in stock and their favorite on the wall. Did I mention this was Best Buy? Their music store here really owns - all the employees are musicians who don't work on quotas or commissions, so they are really cool and laid back and just want to help you find the best sound you can. After this guy I know there spent almost an hour and a half asking me all sorts of questions while adjusting the heck out of my new guitar, the manager offered to buy my old one.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I purchased a Boss ME-70 multi effects processor the other day to go with that new strat, and I'm totally in love with it so far. It has a lot of those things you sort of go "man, that would be cool to have" (especially the 38 sec phrase loop). I'd say check out that demo video, but for me my reasoning was really that I'd rather have one of these from a well known name than a collection of different pedals that would end up costing more.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was at a buddy's house and brought my Blues Jr. III over so I could jam with some guys for a bit. This dude pulled my cord out while the amp was on (I was turned away talking for a moment) so he could plug his piece of poo poo Burnswood strat in and I heard a massive pop. I had then switched over to drums for a bit and didn't get to try the amp until the next day. I turned it on and just plugged my Fender in without any sort of preamp and there was some sort of feedbacky, echoing high pitched sound I don't think I've ever heard before ringing out without me playing anything. I said feedback because it seemed to oscillate and would get louder then softer after a crescendo of sorts. This is at just 2.5 volume. It seemed to not be noticeable or otherwise went away after I played for a bit (it persisted a while through my playing) and the amp seemed to be "warmed up". Is my amp damaged?

Btw this is the same guy that insists on using this Burnswood because it bowing horribly under his bed for years makes it "perfect for slide guitar" (i.e. ready for unbelievably dissonant, out of rythym playing at all times). Dude also gives me nasty looks with I decide to put some gain on my Billy Corgan strat because "real musicians don't need gain".

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 8, 2011

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

meatcookie posted:

Please kick him square in the genitals as hard as you possibly can.
I mean really rear back and put some hip into it.
Then, once he's stopped crying and rolling around, lean down and tell him that real musicians use whatever they damned well please to broaden their sonic palette.

e: VVV Absolutely. I'm probably reading too much into the guy but I've heard that exact phrase before from snooty-rear end retards who're still pissed at Bob Dylan for going electric.

Dude only listens to Big Bill Broonzy and old blues or older musicians. Music officially died at 1979 apparently. Don't get me wrong, I love the blues and the older stuff. I ran an internet radio blues show for months introducing people to everyone from Robert Johnson to Lightnin' Hopkins to Otha Turner & the Rising Star Drum & Fife Band. I ran a Beatles bootleg show for months as well that had a nice little goon following, but I believe you should never set boundaries when it comes to music.

The amp is now making a hissing sound constantly when on, even when volume is turned off entirely.

Lackadaisical - Some quick things to check about your F:

You are probably doing this naturally, but roll your barre finger a bit so that you are a bit more on the bonier edge as opposed to having all that finger padding.

For some reason I am temporarily losing the ability to describe the human finger, but make sure you don't have any strings in the knuckle crevices of your barre finger. If you are playing F, you are probably having trouble with your G or B strings due to this. You'll have to shift around your finger a bit and figure out where you need to press a little harder, etc.

Pretty basic, but make sure you are as close to the frets as possible on your strings. When you are first learning to barre it is easy to sort of lose track of where your other fingers are and how hard they are pressing.

Most importantly, don't get frustrated. A lot of it is simply the fact that your muscle needs to develop. Three days is not enough time for this to physically happen. It is an extremely useful technique that is just one of those things you need to be able to do to open up your guitar potential. Plus, once you start moving some voicings around you'll have tons of fun!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 9, 2011

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Calvin, from reading your earlier posts about tube amps, I believe I'll probably have to replace one of these tubes. How should I go about safely isolating the tube in question and replacing it? Is this something a store should be handling? Like you said, they are all groove tubes.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Excellent, thanks for the advice. I'm sure that it is just an issue with a preamp tube, but a second opinion is always nice!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just recently got some spare preamp tubes and am in the process of switching them around - hopefully this'll clear my amp issue up. At the same time, now my Strat is acting up. The output jack is loose (a common problem) - but instead of my guitar just cutting out, there is a horrific feedback explosion when it moves that makes me dive to turn the amp volume off. I am going to try just tightening some things tonight to see if there's improvement.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just opened it up and that's exactly it - loose wire. Let that damned jack get loose too long and it must have rotated it right out.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

DaJe posted:

Alright, so I haven't been playing for too long. I first really got into it sometime last year, when I got the mom of my at the time boyfriend to ship out his guitar he had laying around there house out to here. And then when I broke up with him, he took it with him, so I was without it for over half a year, until I managed to convince him to give it back to me last month. It's a really cheap Fender, pretty much the lowest end guitar they make, just a beginners guitar.

I don't really like it that much though. I more have it just because it was a free guitar at the time. But it's just been giving me trouble, has been difficult to play on, and just has a bad sound to it, ever since I first started playing it. It's just really cheap is all, and I'm wanting to move onto something more.

I suppose I don't need something too spectacular, as I'm not that great, though I know that's also not the right attitude to have. Point is, I want to get a new guitar. I'm wanting an acoustic, and forgive me if I suck at guitar terminology, but I want an acoustic electric, and by that I mean the type that can be played as a regular acoustic, but also plugged in to an amp or something (would that be called acoustic electric?).

Of course I'd love something amazing, but I'd say my budget is probably between $200 and $400. I can't really go over $400 at the moment, and that's really the most I feel comfortable spending on a guitar at this time anyway. But I'd also be happy if it was less than $400 (and maybe even more around $200).

There's a thrift shop one town over that usually gets all sorts of guitars in all the time. I was thinking of heading over there and seeing if they have anything available. That way I could pick one up, hold it, see how it feels, and just strum it a little to get a general feel for the sound and everything. Thing is it's not guaranteed they'll have a guitar in stock, or that they'll have anything good, or even what I'm looking for. I did stop by there once last year, and the guy that owns the place is real nice, and if I wanted to I could give him my contact information and he'd be happy to call me up when he gets something in. But there's also no telling how long that could take. I really don't enjoy going to places like Guitar Center (don't like the feel I get in that store, plus they feel overpriced to me), but I don't know of any guitar shops nearby (besides that one Guitar Center). And I'm a little wary about buying something like a guitar online, but I'm not fully against it (especially because it's more convenient).

I did hear from a friends dad that Yamaha makes pretty good guitars that sound surprisingly well for how cheap some of them are, but I don't really know. I also do not know what to really look for in a guitar. So yeah, sorry for kind of rambling a bit there, but could anyone offer some advice on buying a new guitar, and what I might want to look for?

This is at the top of your price range, but I'd go ahead and recommend what ended up being my first bought acoustic electric - the Martin DXk2AE. You should be able to find it cheaper than this if you hunt a bit, but basically the higher cost is absolutely worth it. IMO this has the quality and sound of more expensive acoustic, and in fact my friend after borrowing it for a few days is getting rid of his Ovation AE for one. I link to this on Guitar Center just because it is convenient, but if your Best Buy has a music store they should have one of these as well to play. Even though it is Best Buy (lol), their music store employees do not work on commission, and at least at my local one the manager there only hires musicians who know what they are talking about and aren't dicks. Plus, I've worked out deals on my last two guitar purchases there for a few hundred (!) off each. If you do play it, just be sure not to use DADGAD at first because you'll instantly buy it without looking around which is never smart ;)

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like I have basic rhythm and ideas about progressions down. Right now I can still basically only strum - which is fine since I play with some friends now and they handle the tough stuff :). I wanted to mess around and try recording some stuff for myself to be able to hear what mistakes I am making, etc. I hooked up my little effects processor to my soundcard and the recordings were really...flat and muffled I guess? I'm assuming I need some piece of equipment I can plug my cable into from out of my processor that would then plug into the soundcard so things don't sound so awful. Anyone have any recommendations? Here's a quick thing I did for some GBS thread about mermaids over someone's fish lyrics (ignore the joke singing ;) ). The guitar just sounds really crappy IMO:

Thanks for the advice - I don't know jack about any of this stuff

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's not a real answer :(

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My soundcard is a ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Basically I'm running my line out of my guitar, into my multi effects processor and then out of the L Amp Out (mono) on the processor into my souncard's line in. Oh boy, I just saw that the headphone port also says "Rec Out" so I may have just been using a totally wrong port! It would suck to not be able to hear what I sound like while I'm playing but I think that's what I need to do. The unfortunate thing with the Xonar is while I think its great for playing music theres a small delay if you are monitoring the line in and it really fucks with you if you are playing and listening

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all of the excellent information, guys! Pretty much covers everything I need to know to get started

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Might as well ask a question since it has been bugging me. I'm really wanting to get into the blues. I'm comfortable with the basics, 12 bar (and standard variations) in all 12 keys, a few basic licks to spice things up and I can put together an average at best solo over someone else putting down a the rhythm. But I really want to get into it and I'm a bit stuck, never really got exposed to it when growing up and non of my friends are into it. So where to go from here?

Is there a site out there that will guide me through the blues? Can anyone recommend me a few people to check out and emulate, especially acoustic blues rather than electric. I know all (most) the big name players, your kings, hendrix, stevie ray etc, but can find very little acoustic blues.

I ran an all-blues internet radio show for a while where I would set up a flow throughout the different blues eras and get drunk and talk over the music horribly but also talk about the artists : ). I actually have them archived in a new thread for the goon DJ station Ghettoradio so feel free to check it out. Blues episodes are prefaces with "TCS" or some variation of (for The Chicken Shack). Be forewarned - I was even worse of a DJ back then but I will say I played it all. If you have a question about what a particular song is let me know and I'll try and consult my playlist from that night. I often switched things around on the fly but there's a good chance I'd remember who did it.

For acoustic blues some names off the top of my head in NO order -

Mississippi John Hurt - Not only a very unique blues sound but also a humble, excellent human being. I often included him in the "wind down" tempo portions of my show because he has something of a whispering singing style and a very gentle and melodic way of playing. Spent the majority of his life working on farms and playing for parties. Released a few unsuccessful recordings back in the 20s before being re-discovered 40 years later. I think his Coffee Blues is another great showcasing of his style!

Son House - You likely already know of him but I figured I would link to a video of him playing so you could see how he handles the guitar. Hard to find a more expressive and raw emotional interpretation of the early blues

John Cephas and Phil Wiggins - A duo every bit as good as Sonny & Terry IMO. While they joined up together after the "golden era" of the blues revival they are both excellent blues players who really just sound better together (the same could have been said for Willie Big Eyes & Pinetop Perkins - not acoustic players though).

Not much free time left at work. Other greats include Reverend Gary Davis, Lonnie Johnson (not an acoustic video but shows him playing) and Lightnin' Hopkins.

One last artists who is not really a "blues" man (more folk with occasional blues) but combined all styles and in my opinion should be looked up to by any aspiring acoustic player - Davy Graham. Flavors of east and west, old and new in all of his compositions. One man on guitar who manages to sound like two (at minimum!) and helped in the revival of the folk movement during the 60s. If you've heard of DADGAD or Jimmy Page you likely already know of him but if you didn't there you go!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 21, 2011

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tony Montana posted:

I think I really want to play an instrument again.

I did it when I was a kid, I haven't done it for something like 10 years. I used to play piano and double bass and eventually concentrated on trumpet, jazz bands and the like. I was never really good, probably stopping before I really progressed.

Anyways lots of the theory is still stuck in my head somewhere and muscle memory for stuff like the trumpet doesn't go away. Except the trumpet is a bit of a fucker, it's really loud and can only really be played for a few types of music, none of which are that popular. I went through my beret wearing days where I didn't give a gently caress and smoked cigarettes and noone understood me, but I really don't care about any of that now.

I just want to have some fun, meet some new people and have an activity that isn't drinking yourself into numbness (which is scarily what lots of people past 30 years old seem to only do).

I guess I want maximum versatility and cross-over. By that I know from experience that learning the piano means you really learn music, you can play pretty much anything else after (once you've learned the specific technique). Learning all the chords means you can later improvise properly and switch between instruments (I remember my trumpet was in b flat) more easily.

The guitar is cool and it's versatility (electric rock to classical and acoustic) is great. You can just pull one out easily somewhere while a piano is a bit harder.

Could you learn piano and guitar at the same time sorta easily? Would they really complement each other?

I'd just like to say that I've been progressing on my own (bad, I know :)) in guitar for just about two years now. I started playing piano earlier this year in May and I felt that it 100% improved my understanding of not only guitar but music in general. I went from playing covers with the guys all the time to regularly coming up with new compositions on piano and guitar! In fact I keep my guitars right next to my digital piano as I practice so I can easily switch and play them off each other. It's awesome! I tend to take little breaks from one and focus on the other for a week or two and when I come back I always find I learn something new with a fresh perspective.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did someone say moving bassline?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My little group took the time to rearrange our playing space so that everything ended up (somehow) on clean power and it really makes a difference!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I eventually got my Billy Corgan strat I was really psyched and I haven't stopped enjoying just how awesome it is to have a quality instrument. If you have a good quality strat with a multi-effects processor (I use a Boss ME-70) you can get almost any sound you'd want. I play with friends weekly and we play a wide range of stuff so it's great to be able to bust out whatever is needed and have it sound great! I was using a nice classic series 72' Tele thinline before but all of the little things that are improved by making the jump just makes it so worth it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I probably should have just let that recording go and not bothered to post it, listening to it again, it makes me sound way worse than I actually am. Maybe this weekend I'll get a new version up to redeem myself. (Sans bass since my friend who played on the track is about 300 miles away.)

This may be blasphemy in the guitar thread (;)) but personally I believe nothing will further your ear training and general ability to compose more than taking up piano. While these days I prefer my piano to my guitar I still play both and you'll find that they improve your understanding of music that much more when you play both.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

RE90 posted:

Hate to barge in like this but I'm going to Guitar Center tomorrow with a $450 budget (think $400+), and have no clue how I will decide on an acoustic guitar (after my roommate's drunk friend ran off with my previous one).

Last time, the choice was easy. I didn't know how to play yet, so I just went to zzsounds, saw a $200 Washburn at the top of the 'popular' list...and that was it.

I only play in bursts lasting maybe a week every few months, and the extent of my skill is playing the chords for whatever song has been stuck in my head for the past few days, and then a ton of Jason Mraz. I can play barre chords, but wish to do more in the future (play from the heart, know what I mean?).

Where can I find some reputable sources online (perhaps your own expertise?) to guide me towards a particular guitar?

Echoing the "play it all man" sentiment. I just missed Martin dropping by my local Guitar Center and doing a big thing there :(. Please do not leave GC without putting your hands on a DXK2AE. It is right in your budget and is a hell of a great Martin for that amount of money. They also offer a non-electric variant (or used to). Also check if your local Best Buy has a music department - I believe many of those carry this guitar as well and the BB music departments are separate from the rest of the store and will actually haggle with you on price. I actually bought mine (off the wall) at my local BB two years ago and paid just a bit under $400 IIRC. I've bought every one of my guitars off the wall at a Best Buy (even ones running over a grand) and they have all been superb instruments - the fact is that nobody plays guitars at Best Buy.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

Is there any way to tell, by the way? I have yet to find one around me that does.

Since I'm around a large city it could just be a targeted thing. You'd have to get someone on the phone (HAH) at the store and ask. However, I did just look up a locator for stores that offer music lessons, which I assume means they have a music department to take place in. Try this link and go to your state on the "Lessons Store Locator". Good luck!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use a standard set of coated Elixirs on my Martin DXK2AE and while they definitely are too bright at first, when they get worn in the sound is just fantastic. Really, though, you just gotta use them strings and get them sounding old. I was actually wondering about what strings to try out next - looking for something to compliment that rich dreadnought sound. I want those strings to sound right at home in DADGAD or something.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have that bridge on my Nashville tele and it ownnnsssss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Torabi posted:

Thanks for all of the tips. Good thing you guys are around to stop me from doing something stupid. I'll keep looking around. The Les Paul ones are the ones I'm leaning towards right now though but that is mostly because I've actually tried them.

The different kinds of wood were a part of the body seamlessly and not for better looks in this case. The side facing outwards had a second type of wood for better sound or something along those lines. I feel like my short term memory is failing me.

I'll just echo the sentiments here that you should buy what you love the sound of. Out of all my guitar purchases my absolute favorite (and the one that still gets a ton of compliments) is my Martin DXK2AE. Made of high-pressed laminate wood scraps with a fake koa wood texture. The sound is out of this world for the price of the guitar and I've kept it over some $1,500+ Fender strat purchases.