Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004

Coritani posted:

How do I hold the neck properly? I've seen places suggest that you just touch it with your thumb. I tend to sort of grip it with my whole palm, like I'm holding a bat. Is this the right way to do it or will it just hold me back in the long run?

If Dolphin happens to catch this, it might be worth putting a few links and some blurbs in the OP concerning proper technique, i.e. wrist angles, neck grip, holding a pick, finger positions, etc. and so on.

To answer briefly, you'll often hear that the "correct" way to hold the neck is the classical way -- thumb behind the neck, palm aligned with the strings and fingers perpendicular to the frets so they have maximum access across the fretboard. There are some pictures along with a decent article here: http://www.ultimate-guitar-online.com/classical-guitar-lessons-3.htm .

Classical techniques by and large are the "correct" techniques, but they're not everything. I say "correct" in quotes just 'cause I tend to think that the "correct" way to play a guitar is whatever way serves you best and gets what you want out of the instrument. I mean, I doubt that anyone said to Jimi that he was doing it wrong 'cause he used the "death grip/baseball bat" style grip and wasn't playing by the rules. However, I'd say that by playing with those classical techniques as a base and point of reference that you'll be able to more easily adapt your own technique. Classical technique scales better as you improve, I guess, if that makes sense.

Meanwhile, I say these things having taught myself many, many wrong techniques since I picked up the guitar, and any purist would likely find my own technique atrocious, so take heed that I'm saying this in retrospect having blown the mission long ago. It's very difficult to get out of bad habits after the fact, and when I try to get myself to straighten out my form it's always frustrating and I end up abandoning any efforts real quick. Learn from my ignorance and try to start out doing the Right Thing and building up your own technique from a solid starting point rather than the more-or-less random flailing that was the basis of my playing style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004
Another barre chord tip: use the side of your finger and not the fleshy part. Try to rotate your towards the headstock (counter-clockwise for righties). I find that using the fleshier part of your finger can often result in muted strings, which probably isn't what you're looking for most of the time.

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004
Worked for Jimi and Kurt, although they went the opposite way 'round. You'll probably have to take it to a guitar shop and have someone else re-string it, though, as it's more than simply a matter of taking the strings off and reversing them.

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Yeah. Well, the other option is take it to Guitar Center and do a trade-in, and put what I was gonna spend on getting it serviced towards something that's righty. I dunno. I'll figure it out.

It's http://www.silvertoneguitar.com/products/electric_ssl1/index.htm this bad boy by the way, just lefty (It is lefty).

If it's just a beginners guitar like that and doesn't hold any sentimental value, then yeah, may as well.

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Because I doubt it'd be my technique that's causing this issue: I use only my wrist to pick.

This actually could be the problem: you're putting too much wrist into it. You want to use a combination of wrist and elbow action: picking on one string should be mostly wrist-based, but movement from string to string across the fretboard should be largely elbow-based. Basically the fine movements you want to use your wrist as the angle of your wrist is largely going to go unchanged for picking against an individual string, but to move to another string, you'd have to increase the strain on the wrist, so your elbow has to make this adjustment.

If that makes any sense, anyways. I'm certainly not much of a shredder, but when I do get down to extended picking playing this is how I roll and how I've seen a lot of others get to it. YMMV.

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004

JD posted:

Anyone know Bob Dylan - Hurricane well? I've been working on this song for awhile and can sing and play it pretty well, but I've never been able to figure out what he's doing when he does that "gallop" kind of sound during the chorus. He's switching from C to F I'm assuming, anyone got a tip?

It is indeed C and F. Don't really have any advice 'cause I'm sure what you're doing, but for all your Dylan song needs, if you haven't seen it yet, http://dylanchords.info/ is basically the canonical reference.

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004
This is sorta-kinda on-topic, and since this is the go-to thread for guitar and guitar newbs I figured some of y'all might find it interesting.

Anyways, I saw this the other day on reddit and I think it's pretty cool: the Loog Guitar, which is basically a three-stringed guitar aimed at children but I think it's just a cool little instrument all the same.

http://loogguitars.com/kickstarter/index.html

The three models to be made:

A Montgomery Ward Airline shaped body for Jack White fans:

A cigar box-style model. Or Bo Diddley, if you prefer.

And a triangular body that is reminiscent of the Doane-style ukuleles that were introduced into Canadian schools during the 60's.

The project is part of some dude's masters thesis in music or something to that effect and they're looking for donations to get up and running. It looks like they've already beaten their goal by a mile, so these things should be in production for a May release.

I think that they're pretty slick and I'd like to get my hands on one of the Airline models. I've heard people bemoaning the lack of strings saying "It's not a real guitar! Six strings!?!?!" but I think that if it helps get someone into playing music then that's awesome.

Having owned a Strumstick and enjoyed its simple open tuning (G-D-G), I'm interested in donating to get my hands on one, 'cause that Strumstick was fun as gently caress. I'm a sucker for off-beat instruments I guess.

edit: grammar

dark_panda fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 10, 2011

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004

Manky posted:

These are really cool, but they are priced way too high - even the donation price of $150 is steep. You can get a not-totally-horrible real guitar for that much, and a decent starter ukulele for about $40.

e: ^^^^ looks like we had the same thought.

Oh, yeah, they've way overpriced and I hope they get some sanity to them. I mean, they don't even come assembled, although that's supposedly 'cause it gets you to "know the instrument better" or some such nonsense. Uh, putting together my Ikea furniture doesn't help me know it any better, so please, just put the damned things together when you ship them please.

That said, I still think they're pretty slick, even having owned a Strumstick and a decent uke. Again, I'm a sucker for poo poo like this though.

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004

seigfox posted:

Having something like this would have made the jump between complete novice and beginner guitarist a great deal smoother. Given the choice between a scaled guitar or a uke for $150 and this for $250 for my kid I think I'd be willing to part with an extra $100 to give the best chance of success.

Oh no, I agree that it's a great little instrument and anything that makes playing music more accessible to people and especially to kids is a good thing. I just hope that they can get that price down to make it more attractive to parents to take that plunge and get their kids into music. That $100 can be a lot for some people, and I think the price point is just a bit on the side of high. It's not astronomical, but I think it would be a point of contention. I'd be more worried that someone would look at this, see the price, then look at a lower priced full-on six-string that would perhaps be more difficult to play due to it being a "budget guitar" (high action, bad intonation, etc.) and potentially more confusing (all six strings, not geared towards kids with the colour coding, etc.) and that the kid would give up in frustration rather than plow through the pain. For that to occur because of a higher price, regardless of whether the higher price is justified or perceived, would be a tough pill to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dark_panda
Oct 25, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Went to local guitar shop thinking I'd buy a Seagull S6, but came out with a used Seagull Maritime. It was cheaper than the S6, all solid wood, came with a case, and seems in good shape for a used guitar. Now I'm curious what year the guitar is from.

What's the serial number on your guitar? Godin has a system where the general date the guitar was made is built into the serial. If the serial number contains 8 digits you can enter the number here to get some information:

http://www.guitardating.com/godin.php

If your serial number contains 12 digits, the system goes thusly: the first six digits are a model number, and the last six digits represent the year and the sequential number of the guitar as it was built. So, one of my Seagulls has a serial number of 029839001596, which means 029839 is the model number and 001596 means the first "0" for 2010 and 1596 meaning it was the 1596th guitar produced in that year.

As explained here: http://seagullguitars.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57