Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Ok so I'm having trouble figuring out how to strum both down AND up. Until now, I've always just strum down which is causing major issues now when I'm trying to play faster stuff. Does anyone know of any good videos or exercises I can do to try and improve my upward strumming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

You are talking about strumming and not plucking, right? Good up and down strums are an essential skill so it's good that you're taking this on.

Yea, somehow I missed this really basic skill and I'm paying for it now. I'll give what you suggest a try and hopefully I can pick it up quickly.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Gah, guitar is so frustrating. I've been playing pretty much every day for a month (sometimes for more than 2 hours) and I just feel like I'm not really making any progress. I'm playing Blink 182 - Dammit fairly well, but it's kind of fast and I'm struggling to get all the way through it. The intro in particular I struggle to play clean and after a month of practicing it over and over I guess I was expecting to be able to play it by now :smith:

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how long it took them to get fairly competent, at least enough to make a simple song like Dammit no problem. I know a month isn't a very long time but I can't help but feel I should be better for the amount of hours I have put in.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Need to work on my timing and playing it cleaner but it's there. So loving happy right now.

Yea it's keeping that drat intro clean that I'm having problems with.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

My biggest difficulty is most definitely going from the intro to the power chords and back in time with the song. It's so incredibly fast, and despite playing it endlessly I just can't seem to get anywhere close to being in time with the recording.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Words

Thanks for the sound advice. I think I am definitely being too hard on myself because I tried out some other stuff last night (House of the rising sun etc) and I managed to get them down pretty well... I'll have to work on my punk rock harder!

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Is it wrong that the only way I can comfortably play an F chord is by sliding my thumb around (so rather than have it resting against the neck, I'm holding it baseball style or whatever it's called)? I get the feeling I shouldn't be doing it.

Also, I could really use some help here. I honestly have no idea why, but my up strumming absolutely sucks. I don't know if I am holding the pick wrong or perhaps my body position isn't right but my strumming is total garbage. I've been practising loads but I just don't seem to see any improvement and I'm starting to think I am literally just doing it wrong. If anyone has any guides/videos to basic up strumming / guitar playing posture that would be really appreciated.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

I'm trying to learn the Rage version of Maggie's Farm. Annoyingly, I can't seem to find a tab which sounds right, I got together with my friends for a jam and my guitar parts sounded totally wrong. I was wondering if anyone knows how to play this song and can help me find an accurate tab? I was looking for a tab book to buy but I guess because it's a cover such a book does not exist.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks for the detailed reply. It seems like this part:

B|--0-0-3p0--0-----0-3p0-5b---0-0--3p0

Is missing a note or something, I tried playing along with the song and it certainly seems to missing a note somewhere but I honestly can't figure out where :smith:

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

I want a nice metal pedal to gently caress around with, the crunch effect on my amp doesn't quite cut it and I was wondering what the popular option is for kicking out meaty tones, like that of Korn or Pendulum?

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 10, 2011

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

It's a Fender Strat 09 (stock) alongside a Line 6 Spyder IV. I know it's a pretty lovely amp but I am just starting out.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

So I really want to get some more effects going on... I've been looking at the Line 6 POD devices as they seem to be relatively popular. I'm struggling to figure out which one would be most appropriate for someone at my level (beginner/intermediate). One thing I know is that I want to be able to change effects mid song, so I'm guessing I'll need one like this http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00065430.html ?

The POD 3 looks pretty good (http://line6.com/podx3/) but I assume you need some kind of external pedal setup in order to chop and change mid song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

I have a standard Fender Strat, I like it quite a lot, never really had any problems with it. I never noticed before but the trem on my strat is floating... I know JustinGuitar suggests having it flat. My question is, if I am happy enough with the sound and action, is it really worth changing it so that it's flat? I'm not really sure what I'll gain but that Justin guy can sure be convincing.