Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I had played acoustic guitar for about a year, dropped it for a year, then decided to get back into guitar playing with a brand new electric. I just got an Agile AL-2000 from Rondo Music and it sounds awesome for a $230 guitar, paired with a small amp (I got a Roland Micro Cube) it's great for relearning how to play chords and should give me room to grow without sounding awful for a while.

So yeah, for people starting out or getting back into guitar, check out https://www.rondomusic.com great service (I got my guitar 2 days after I ordered it) and they make some awesome looking and decent sounding cheap guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Holy poo poo that pinky

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Nevergirls posted:

Can I plug an electric guitar into a DJ mixer (using a 1/4" to RCA adapter orsomething)? Will it sound like complete poo poo? My idea is I want to buy a guitar, run it through a DJ mixer and then use a DJ effects unit to throw delay on the guitar etc.

Going to buy a guitar on Friday.

no don't

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dickeye posted:

I was

Then I realized Blink182 was too high-brow for me, and I started learning songs that only use D C and G

And they all start by playing the D a million times

Anyway, yeah I'm definitely gonna work some of this stuff in. Upstrokes are just ridiculously hard for me for some reason. They gently caress my rhythm sideways

Sadly I think playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band for a billion hours trained me to play upstrums perfectly on rhythm :kiddo:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Rodney Chops posted:

I bought a nice acoustic guitar last year, and I've been having a lot of fun learning and playing it. But now for some reason my first 2 frets on the e and A strings are buzzing really bad now. It started with just the first fret on the e, but now its 4 frets and is really annoying. Can I fix this myself or do I just take it to a guitar shop? Googled the heck out of this, but all I really got out of that is I can raise my action with an allen key. I bought this guitar because it had such close action and I really don't want to do that. Would new strings help maybe?

Try replacing the strings first. If that doesn't work, you may need to mess with the neck of the guitar (and probably get it properly set up), which most people would recommend you take to a shop to do.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If you want to sound exactly like Mick Ronson, he used a Les Paul, and probably heavily customized.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Hey man I know some people that shred on one of those

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

CalvinDooglas posted:

The irony is totally not worth the price. It's also hard to take an act seriously when they do crap like that - notice he's playing on the floor rather than a raised stage.

I'm pretty sure that's on a (tiny) raised stage, I'd recognize the lovely rug at the Middle East Upstairs stage from anywhere.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Lackadaisical posted:

So I'm determined, after only an hour of playing, to learn this:

http://www.indieguitartabs.com/bands/neko_case/11_moon.html

But I'm struggling with the F. Any good videos or advice for doing it without killing my fingers?

Keep playing, really.
Barre chords will gently caress you up until you keep playing them over and over and over again.
Check out justinguitar.com for some walkthroughs.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-161-F-chord.php

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Lackadaisical posted:

Lesson I learned on day one: Don't try to play for like 5 straight hours. My fingers loving hurt and I have a massive test tomorrow where I need to write a lot. :(

Also, awesome tips. I'm determined to master the F chord and then this song in a matter of days. There is no such thing as over ambitious.

I'm giving like a 3-5 days minimum before it stops hurting after playing with it for 30-60 minutes, and at least a week until you get it, but let us know how it goes!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I've been playing with my Malden Bulldozer for a week or so, and it's a well playing and super light guitar, and pretty much a steal at $220+shipping.

http://www.maldenguitars.com/store.htm

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

revolther posted:

Not trying to crap on your guitar at all but what is it about SG's that makes them hold no value? I mean Gibson SG's run what like 800 bucks then resell for half that usually on CL. I've played them on stage as a backup, solid humbucking rock sound for sure, way more preferable than those melody makers. What kind of cougar blood was this Malden guy rubbing on the pickups? I'm assuming hand made instead of machined body then set up by an American? I mean 220 sounds fair for parts and labor, and the finishes look nice, but the original price was ridiculous for something not inhabited by the ghost of an AC/DC roadie.

No idea, I would never spend a grand on one of these, but for $200 it's way more than worth it.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Anyone have a suggestion for a tab application for iPhone? I normally try to figure it out by ear, but sometimes it's nice to have a reference if I don't know what the gently caress is going on.

There's a handful of high rated ones out there, like the Ultimate Guitar app, TabToolkit, and Songsterr, I just don't know if any of them are good/bad and figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has any reference before I blow $5 on one.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

lazerwolf posted:

I have kind of a technique question. I've been learning some riffs with bends in them (like the solo in Dancing in the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy). When bending the G or B string up, for instance, my nail will catch on the next lower string (D for G bends or G for B bends, etc) and my nail isn't abnormally long or anything. How do I stop this from happening? I'm getting some string noise from the nail vibrating those strings. I play a tele if that makes a difference

It sounds like you're pressing the strings with the pad on your finger instead of your fingertip?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

baka kaba posted:

I think someone bought stock in D'addario!

I have an Amazon subscription for 3 sets of strings every 2 months :shobon:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Have you tried putting on a new set of strings?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

DerLeo posted:

Is Justin Guitar any good?

Probably the best guitar instructional site I've found on the internet.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I use Amazon or Musician's Friend for accessories and stuff.

Guitars and amps I shop around. Check local stores and online places like Rondo Music, or craigslist and ebay.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

WickedHate posted:

Thank you. That was my main fear with a guitar. I'm a very nervous person, though if I get too paranoid I can always wear a wielding mask.

Just always wear sunglasses when handling a guitar, problem solved and you'll always look cool. :cool:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Grawl posted:

I haven't touched or restringed my guitar for at least 5 years, but I ordered Rocksmith, so I removed the strings and cleaned the guitar. I'm going to a music store tomorrow to get new strings, however, I can't really find a decisive answer online what strings I should use on my guitar. It's a cheap Washburn WR120 (electrical guitar).

Just get some D'Addario Regular Light strings, those should be fine unless you're looking for a particular sound?

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...+guitar+strings

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

iostream.h posted:

What're some good shops to check out in the Boston/MetroWest area? I found a decent-ish one in Salem that was kind of neat, haven't really found anything around other than Guitar Center in Natick and 2 absolute poo poo shops otherwise.

Rockin Bob's by Davis in Somerville is a neat little place.
There's also the Music Emporium on Mass Ave in Lexington if you're looking for ridiculously nice ($3000 and up) acoustic guitars.

rip Daddy's :smith:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Pocket Billiards posted:

I tried it, it told me the only correct tuning is not to tune.

Tuning is for chumps, figure out what each string currently is tuned to and work it out from there.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Just blew a string on my electric, and it looks like my pack of spares is empty. What are some cheap, durable strings that will sound okay and be nice to my fingers? I'm just a beginner, so this will be played exclusively in my office through the shittiest $50 amp in the world. I have really big fingers and the strings that came on the guitar ($99 Squier strat) bit my fingers quite a bit because they were so thin.

Unless you're going after a specific tone, regular D'Addario Light strings should be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...+guitar+strings

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

HollisBrown posted:

I picked up a Malden Liquid 3 years ago when they were blowing out their stock for $180. It's easily my favorite guitar.

I think they were moving their production from Korea to the USA when they were blowing out their stock, so who knows when they will be selling again.

I grabbed a Bulldozer a few years ago during the clearance for a couple hundred bux, it's definitely my favorite guitar when I want to just pick up a guitar and mess around. Super comfortable to play, awesome action, and it's way lighter than any of my other guitars.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

PopZeus posted:

So I've been using a Big Muff pedal for the last few weeks and everything has worked great. Today, though, it has suddenly stopped working. The cables all work with the guitar and amp outside of the pedal, and they even work while the pedal is switched off. But when I click the pedal on, the red LED turns on, and then no sound comes out at all.

Anyone run into anything similar? I'm wondering (since it runs off battery currently) if the battery is powering the LED but not strong enough to run the pedal? I really have no clue.

Replace the battery, my friend's will do the same thing.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

HollisBrown posted:

I have a Malden Liquid, same style with different pickups, and I love it. Same build quality as any American Fender.

My Malden Bulldozer is my favorite and most comfortable guitar to play and is built solid, definitely recommended if they're ever stupidly cheap again.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

New wacky guitar day yaaaaaay!

Special edition Fernandes ZO-3, has a little built in speaker on it and plays surprisingly well!
Gotta move the strap button onto the body of it, according to someone that has one, the current spot has it on the back of the headstock and it's super unwieldy to play while standing.

Apparently this the best spot for it: http://ow.ly/i/4oxIc

I was gonna buy a straplock anyway, so what the hell why not?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

field balm posted:

That Lammy guitar owns so hard, GAS rising. How does it sound out of the speaker?

It sounds surprisingly decent for a tiny 5W thing running off a 9V battery!
Fernandes apparently makes a bunch of deluxe models that has a whole built in effects suite, and I love this guitar so much I'm considering buying one. It's basically the ultimate "grab and gently caress around for 15 minutes" thing.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

booshi posted:

Anyone in the Boston area with good luthier recommendations feel free to let me know.

Go to Mouradian Guitar in Winchester, for reals.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

booshi posted:

I'm not leaving you alone near it...

By the way, whoever recommended Mouradian Guitar in the thread thanks, that place is awesome. iostream, it's an awesome place with tons of guitars to check out.

No problem! They used to be in Porter years and years ago apparently, and they moved out to Winchester to have more space. Super cool dudes and they really seem to know what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mine is going to be here tomorrow, I'm incredibly excited. I'm still laughing over how i went "man I sure am glad this j mascis guy helped put out this awesome cheap guitar" to "hey maybe this means I should finally get into him" and now I'm in full blast mascis appreciation mode, have an entire huge back catalogue to dig through for inspiration, and a perfect guitar to learn that on. 2014 the year of the Jazzmaster.

Pretty much all of Dinosaur Jr's albums range from solid to incredible, even the new stuff they're putting out.