Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a really dumb and really random question that has bothered me for years. Here's the place to ask I guess!

In Disney's Aladdin (the original animated one from 1995 or whenever that was) I could swear that the opening song, "Arabian Nights" had slightly different lyrics in the original theatrical release.

I quite clearly remember the dude singing "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face./ It's barbaric but hey, it's home!"

But when I got the movie on VHS, the line was definitely "It's black and immense and the heat is intense." Nothing about cutting off ears.

Did kid me just imagine this or did they really change it between theatrical release and home video?

Looks like the change was made a year after the theatrical release so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They changed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctjB_IIKC-U

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
edit: beaten twice

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

:aaa: Oh wow. Kid me is vindicated! Even as a kid I thought that line was a little dark, never even considered the racist implications. Cuz I was a dumb kid.

Probably a good change tbh...

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
What is the use of a VR headset in a like practical sense? It would be useful for a desktop to get all comfy while working except you still need to sit in front of a kb/m to get anything done. I'm guessing it's purely for gaming but is it a fundamentally different gaming experience vs. monitors?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

shirunei posted:

What is the use of a VR headset in a like practical sense? It would be useful for a desktop to get all comfy while working except you still need to sit in front of a kb/m to get anything done. I'm guessing it's purely for gaming but is it a fundamentally different gaming experience vs. monitors?

I played Resident Evil 7 in VR and I've NEVER had a game make me feel like that. There was a moment early on where someone leans in real close to your face and it felt really bad because it felt like my personal space was being invaded. Lots of lizard brain reactions like that all over the place.

I also played the VR demo for Ace Combat 7 and being able to track stuff with my head and move the jet around underneath me made me much better at the game. I was even better at it in regular 2D because I now understood how the jets moved relative to each other.

It hits different.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I feel nothing when I play horror games except the one time I played a VR horror game. Despite how heavy it was and the giant cables dragging behind me I straight up forgot taking the headset off was an option

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll start with, flight simulators in VR are incredible. MSFS 2020 has great scenery and adding the ability to rubberneck from 5000 feet is a transcendent experience. As a bonus, dogfighting in biplanes in VR slaps, that's a huge amount of fun.

A buddy of mine swears by 3D movies on his Meta 3.

A VR headset is a surprisingly good piece of exercise equipment. There are a lot of very good games that encourage you to stand up and do cool stuff until you're sweating. Beatsaber is the canonical example, you swat at stuff with dual lightsabers to sick beats. Here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rqgu2d3QG8

I can also recommend getting a boxing game. There are a couple, I have Creed, it's good. Shadowboxing is excellent cardio and a pretty good upper body workout - compared to hitting a bag, you have to burn energy to stop your punches and pull them back. A full bout is a terrific cardio workout.

None of those experiences is the same as sitting in a chair, looking at however many monitors you have.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've never owned a VR headset but I've tried out a friend's setup on a few occasions.

It's fun but I never for a moment lost my sense of "place". I was always 100% aware that I was just standing in my friend's living room, looking at a 3D screen in a head-mounted thingy.

I'm almost envious of the people who get so into it that they have to crawl on their knees or leap into the TV or whatever else they do on the youtube videos. To me it's more like "okay, I can't be more than a foot or two from the coffee table from here, better be careful about that".

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I've never owned a VR headset but I've tried out a friend's setup on a few occasions.

It's fun but I never for a moment lost my sense of "place". I was always 100% aware that I was just standing in my friend's living room, looking at a 3D screen in a head-mounted thingy.

I'm almost envious of the people who get so into it that they have to crawl on their knees or leap into the TV or whatever else they do on the youtube videos. To me it's more like "okay, I can't be more than a foot or two from the coffee table from here, better be careful about that".

The new ones have a feature where you map out your area, so in-game the headset throws up a grid of lights when you get near an object or wall irl. Lets you not worry about what's nearby because it will tell you when you get close.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

shirunei posted:

I haven't used them too much, but one thing that made an impact was that we were at a VR arcade and played Prince of Persia VR which is like an escape room type puzzle game. You very quickly feel at home in the virtual world because it feels natural and real to your brain, even though you do need to warp to move.

There was a point where we had to cross a deep chasm by climbing some vines and I got very strong vertigo. I had to look up during that point. I don't like heights.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How is matzo generally eaten during Passover, and are there any particular rituals or significance surrounding them?

I'm not Jewish myself, but I'll usually see whole crates of them on clearance after Passover ends, so I'll buy them and eat them because to me as an outsider they're big, tasty crackers.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
The original passover was a meal meant to be eaten in a hurry with your shoes and everything on. No time for bread to rise, just eat it unleavened, because once the angel of death moves through Egypt we're all going to be headed out in a hurry.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

two fish posted:

How is matzo generally eaten during Passover, and are there any particular rituals or significance surrounding them?

I'm not Jewish myself, but I'll usually see whole crates of them on clearance after Passover ends, so I'll buy them and eat them because to me as an outsider they're big, tasty crackers.

Matzah is so integrated into Passover that it's unfortunately difficult to answer this question without mostly answering "how does Passover happen." Sorry the post is correspondingly really long for this thread.

The name given to Passover in the Bible is "Chag haMatzot" - the festival of matzah. During the holiday (which lasts 7 days in Israel and 8 days outside Israel), you can't eat any leavened grain products. The only grain product allowed to you is unleavened grain aka matzah, which you are commanded to eat.

Except there is reason to believe that the "festival of matzah" actually existed as a festival long before the development of what we now associate with the Passover festival - the sacrifice of the Pesach lamb, commemoration of the mythical Exodus from Egypt, etc. Over time they merged into one event. But that would've been thousands of years ago.

Passover begins at nightfall with a structured dinner called a "Seder" literally meaning "order." The Seder includes a substantial array of ritual declarations and eating/drinking certain foods - depending on how the Jews are the table want to do it, there are maybe 1 or 2 hours between the start of the seder and actually eating brisket or whatever else they cooked for the night. During that time the table will eat multiple rounds of matzah - both plain matzah shards and matzah as the buns of sandwich with other ritual ingredients. Thoughout the meal, Matzah is ritually covered and uncovered; at one point, a matzah sheet is theatrically split into halves.

The dinner will also end with matzah, so that each diner leaves with the taste of matzah on their lips. This matzah is called the "afikomen" (dessert) and it is one of the halves from earlier. Many families hide the afikomen for children to go find it, a way of entertaining them during the long pre-dinner proceedings.

Throughout the meal, the book guiding proceedings (called the "Haggadah" meaning "telling") will comment on the symbolism of matzah.

quote:

That on all other nights we eat both chametz and matzah, on this night, we eat only matzah?

We eat only matzah because our ancestors could not wait for their breads to rise when they were fleeing slavery in Egypt, and so they were flat when they came out of the oven.

Diners also thank God for commanding them to eat matzah.

quote:

Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us concerning the eating of matzah.

Outside Israel, a Seder takes place on the second night, following the exact same script. Within Israel there's only one Seder a year. This is an ancient Babylonian solution to impracticalities in maintaining a centralized lunisolar calendar throughout a broad diaspora - back then it was very possible that some village would be desynchronized from everyone else by a day, the solution was to do 2 seders to make sure.

Following the Seder(s), Passover continues for six more days. During this time there is no more ritual/commanded use of Matzah, except that it replaces bread in the contexts where bread would be ritually eaten, like Friday night dinners. But many Jewish homes use this time to use Matzahs as a normal ingredient - matzah ball soup, matzah brei, matzah pizza etc. Some households don't do this because they believe touching matzah to water might cause a small amount of pure flour to touch the water (because the dough wasn't totally kneaded) thus inciting leavening.

TL;DR very carefully for 1-2 nights, then mostly ordinarily for 6 nights.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 24, 2024

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

shirunei posted:

The only time I used a VR headset was for work a few years ago. I was on a very large project that was building several facilities. We did the normal drawing reviews, but at one point the consultant had built out the facility in the VR software and we were able to use the headset to walk down the site and get a better feel for equipment location, working heights, and clearances. It was neat and certainly gives a perspective that 2D drawings or even a 3D model cannot.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Sorry the post is correspondingly really long for this thread.

It's actually very concise for how much info you cover, good job imo

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

jjack229 posted:

The only time I used a VR headset was for work a few years ago. I was on a very large project that was building several facilities. We did the normal drawing reviews, but at one point the consultant had built out the facility in the VR software and we were able to use the headset to walk down the site and get a better feel for equipment location, working heights, and clearances. It was neat and certainly gives a perspective that 2D drawings or even a 3D model cannot.

Supposedly VR and AR are also useful for planning film sets if something has to be built on-site

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

shirunei posted:

n-thing the responses iterating that in its current form it's mostly for gaming and media consumption, where it does offer something pretty unique. Back in uni I was part of a study trying to gauge whether VR could improve the workflow doing 3D modelling stuff, since that seemed like a natural fit. Unfortunately that turned out to be a nope, gaining real-time 3D vision of what you're working on is a fairly minor advantage that didn't really make up for the drawbacks like no longer having the keyboard in your peripheral vision (hotkeys are important) or the lowered effective resolution.

There's probably a greater case for digital 3D sculpting (as opposed to the polygonal modelling I was doing), but there too the workflow for doing it in 2D has been optimized so much for so long that there's a big uphill climb until VR can offer something that's truly superior.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 25, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i can think of some awesome uses for VR in a more educational/museum context, like touring ancient cities or observing domestic life in different eras, or observing the interior of the human body from the perspective of a microscopic camera, or training on various kinds of complicated or historic machiner like a simulation where you could disassemble and reassemble the engines of various ancient cars etc

it could also be cool for theatre or music, lots of people watch concert videos and documentaries etc and i'd bet full 360 video captured from a really good seat or even a position on stage could be fun to watch in VR

but i dont think most of that kind of stuff will exist or be accessible until VR is a lot more affordable and isnt just something for gamers and early adopter tech people

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Another use for AR/VR is in scientific visualization. Nanome displays a 3d model of a complex molecule and lets a group interact with it. They have a powerful API so you can offload heavy compute work from the headset or access libraries of known molecules; finding the actual shape of large molecules like proteins is computationally Really Hard. They also have really powerful collaboration functionality. In the video you'll see two people in the same room using AR, and a third person using VR from a. remote location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghD9e_VKS6s

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A webcomic I used to read used to sometimes post fake IMDB writeups, with made up quotes, trivia, goofs, etc for real movies. But I can't remember which comic it was. Anyone else remember such a thing?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

mllaneza posted:

Another use for AR/VR is in scientific visualization. Nanome displays a 3d model of a complex molecule and lets a group interact with it. They have a powerful API so you can offload heavy compute work from the headset or access libraries of known molecules; finding the actual shape of large molecules like proteins is computationally Really Hard. They also have really powerful collaboration functionality. In the video you'll see two people in the same room using AR, and a third person using VR from a. remote location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghD9e_VKS6s

Haha it's the :actually: guy

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My Pixel 3 phone no longer accepts being plugged into my car. It can still access the audio system over bluetooth, but it can't charge or show navigation on the car's main display. I assume this is down to the phone's USB-C port degrading with age, since the connection was kinda crotchety for awhile, and I've tried using a different cable to no avail. Similarly, cleaning out the port with air from a squeeze bulb hasn't helped.

I found a video on the process for replacing the port, which involves using a heat gun to loosen adhesive, as well as removing a bunch of delicate components to get access to the USB system. That doesn't look like something I'm willing to attempt myself, especially since the phone is otherwise in good shape and still charges just fine.

Any suggestions?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any suggestions?
you specifically mentioned your car, does it charge anywhere else? if so, the problem could be with your car.

use something non-conductive like a toothpick to clean out the port, air isn't going to cut it. it's more durable than you think, just don't flex the tab in the middle. i would also recommend upgrading soon, that phone has been out of support for two years now and is no longer getting security updates. the current models will get updates for 7 years

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

My Pixel 3 phone no longer accepts being plugged into my car. It can still access the audio system over bluetooth, but it can't charge or show navigation on the car's main display. I assume this is down to the phone's USB-C port degrading with age, since the connection was kinda crotchety for awhile, and I've tried using a different cable to no avail. Similarly, cleaning out the port with air from a squeeze bulb hasn't helped.

I found a video on the process for replacing the port, which involves using a heat gun to loosen adhesive, as well as removing a bunch of delicate components to get access to the USB system. That doesn't look like something I'm willing to attempt myself, especially since the phone is otherwise in good shape and still charges just fine.

Any suggestions?

If you've ever built your own PC or swapped out internal components on a laptop, cell phones are pretty much the same thing but smaller. It's not as hard as you probably think that it is, if you're careful. The trick with the heat gun stuff is really just to not overdo it, you're warming it up and gently prying, not trying to cook things. You could pay a cell phone repair shop to swap the port (trivia: they typically use a sort of flat heat press rather than heat guns), but it looks like that phone is 6 years old and the replacement port itself costs near as much as the phone.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
My own small question, anyone have any experience using a 120V battery pack? There are a million on Amazon aimed at campers and for emergencies. They all seem to have overall pretty good reviews. Most have the generic fake company random assortment of letters for their brand name, which I'm assuming means they're highly volatile packs of low-quality lithium ion batteries that will work fine but may incinerate me and my loved ones if I'm unlucky. Recommendations/anecdotes?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My Pixel 3 phone no longer accepts being plugged into my car.

Security updates for the Pixel 3 ended in October goddamn 2021.

My dude. Dudette? Non-binary dude analog? Whatever the case might be... GET A NEW PHONE. They aren't that expensive.

I completely understand the attitude of "this is still working just fine, why should I replace it". In a just world, security updates would keep coming for as long as the hardware can remain relevant. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world, and your phone is now dangerously outdated. Replace that thing ASAP.

I replaced my Pixel 3XL with a 6a in December 2022 and I'm already looking ahead to what's going to replace that, probably sometime later this year.

YOU ARE RUNNING OLD INSECURE HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE and you are begging to get taken over by malware. The car thing is the least of your worries.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

two fish posted:

Let me be blunt with you: if it's possible, and you have the means to do so, just move. Get out. Please. I've been in your situation. There is no escape. You cannot reason with these people.

Your mileage may vary. I've complained about noisy neighbours before to building management, and they have indeed acted on it. That said, I'm in Melbourne, Australia and things might be different where you are.

shirunei posted:

I only use mine for gaming, and can't really see any other use case for it.

Flying a simulated jet/starfighter/mech/etc and being able to look around is pretty amazing. So are shooters where it's my own aim that matters, and there's often some actual "tactile" reloading or whatnot. A shooter is a very different experience when you have to sight correctly and shoot the first baddie before they get you, or reload quickly and correctly while under fire using your actual human hands to take the old magazine out, store it without dropping it, get a new one in, etc.

And then there's stuff like being able to look one way while pointing your gun/lockpick/etc another way, or what have you.

A number of times, I have tried to scratch my real nose with the butt of a virtual weapon. It's that good.

Honestly, just having binocular vision is pretty nice too. I was just thinking the other day that I'd like to play something like Homeworld in VR, not for immersion but so that I can see objects floating in three dimensional space better.

two fish posted:

Nice!

I like em with jam, or just butter, or fish paste, or horseradish, or chopped herring, or charoset left over from the festive meal. (That's a kind of spread made from apples, nuts, cinnamon and wine).

Or you can make pizza with them (pretty common, since religious Jews can't eat normal pizza bases during Passover, because it's leavened bread).

Or plain. I made some myself one year, and I couldn't stop eating them as I took them out of the oven...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 26, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It's most likely just compacted lint. Blowing air won't get that out. You want some stiff pointy nonconductive thing to scrape against the bottom of the port. Zip cut at an angle to make a point work well

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Something I haven't seen mentioned in VR chat is nature scenes. During the pandemic it was really nice to just watch someone's 360 camera that they dropped on a beach somewhere or next to a waterfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW9VYhytk-c

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

litany of gulps posted:

My own small question, anyone have any experience using a 120V battery pack? There are a million on Amazon aimed at campers and for emergencies. They all seem to have overall pretty good reviews. Most have the generic fake company random assortment of letters for their brand name, which I'm assuming means they're highly volatile packs of low-quality lithium ion batteries that will work fine but may incinerate me and my loved ones if I'm unlucky. Recommendations/anecdotes?

I got one of the generic Chinese ones on a great deal and it's been fine, although that model isn't available any more.

The one thing I would recommend is going for a bank with LiPo or LiFePO4 chemistry vs regular degular lithium-ion. LiPo is better if you plan to regularly use it pretty heavily, LiFePO4 if it's going to be more lightly used and often as a backup solution that you don't need to worry about if it has held its charge since you last recharged it 3 months ago.

A decent brand that has been around for a bit and isn't a fly by night random name China brand but also isn't Anker-expensive is Jackery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I have a 1000W Jackery. It works great and seems well made (it's fallen 2-3 feet onto the ground more than once). It was also pretty expensive, but I think it was money well spent (ie, not worrying about how likely it is to explode or catch fire).