Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
How long should it take for a company (specifically, Amazon.com) to charge my debit card? I used it for three purchases on their website (one each on the 26th, 27th, and 29th), and none of them are listed in the charges on my card. I have actually received one of the three items, and I'm due to receive the other two tomorrow, if Amazon's shipping estimations are correct.

How long does this type of thing normally take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Does a higher elevation help with stargazing?

Or is it the case that given the distances involved, an extra 5,000 feet don't mean poo poo?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Purple Rain Man posted:

How long should it take for a company (specifically, Amazon.com) to charge my debit card? I used it for three purchases on their website (one each on the 26th, 27th, and 29th), and none of them are listed in the charges on my card. I have actually received one of the three items, and I'm due to receive the other two tomorrow, if Amazon's shipping estimations are correct.

How long does this type of thing normally take?

Nothing happens on the weekend, so it hasn't been that long. But if it wasn't charged by Wednesday (the one on the 26th), that would seem weird to me.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Or is it the case that given the distances involved, an extra 5,000 feet don't mean poo poo?

Being above light noise and pollution would mean better contrast and less atmospheric stuff I guess?

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

It seems to me that a higher elevation could help if it either clears clutter blocking the edges of the skyline (trees, mountains, etc.) or if it is in a place where there is less light in the area-- the stars will be brighter and more will be visible.

Although, when you look at it, it's not really the elevation that's helping with the stargazing, as you can find dark, uncluttered areas that aren't elevated, as well.

Just my two cents.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The extra 5,000 feet mean a lot less air between you and the star, and the air is what fucks up the stars. If you're just looking at it through your eyes, or a pair of binoculars, then it's not going to help much. It helps most with a telescope. That's why a lot of earth-based observatories are on mountains.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Nothing happens on the weekend, so it hasn't been that long. But if it wasn't charged by Wednesday (the one on the 26th), that would seem weird to me.

Hmm. I just checked my online banking again, and noticed something else. My account lists both a "balance" (this is what's shown as a result of the list of charges), and an "available balance". My available balance is my balance minus the cost of the three Amazon orders, to the penny. What does this mean? Is it my bank that isn't posting the charges? Because they obviously know that Amazon charged my account the exact amount.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Purple Rain Man posted:

Is it my bank that isn't posting the charges?

Most likely. Amazon runs the charge instantly to make sure you have the money. It's the bank that is lagging.

I don't know why it takes so long. It seems if they can verify the money is in there, they should be able to deduct it at the same time.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

onesickvdub posted:

How do I export the PDF to I,ages and recompile it to a PDF? Which software is ideal for this?

Can you just reprint it as PDF or XPS (then XPS back to PDF)? Do this through whatever PDF software you have.

Purple Rain Man posted:

Hmm. I just checked my online banking again, and noticed something else. My account lists both a "balance" (this is what's shown as a result of the list of charges), and an "available balance". My available balance is my balance minus the cost of the three Amazon orders, to the penny. What does this mean? Is it my bank that isn't posting the charges? Because they obviously know that Amazon charged my account the exact amount.

Debit accounts let you take funds out of your account (obviously), but some accounts let you go over your agreed 0 or overdraft limit. If you spend more than is in your account in a day, you have until the end of that (banking) day to pay monies into your account to cover the cost.

You are shown an available and a current figure because of the way banks process accounts. They do this at the end of each day (so your current will become what your available was the day before) and they process all reciepts before all debits to make sure you don't get screwed.

This is UK advice though, so it may be different where you are.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 31, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

onesickvdub posted:

Ismt there a way to make it a normal, old school PDF? Where every page is essentially a picture??

Pdfs are almost never just picture of the page. They can be, but they rarely are.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Mastiff posted:

:(

I guess my next question is, how do I stop feeling suicidal when little things go wrong?

Try to book yourself in for some Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, or failing that, at least read up on the techniques online and try to absorb them a bit. It's all about patterns of thinking - learning not to be so black-and-white, for instance.

Hope it goes well for you, and please don't kill yourself ever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Pdfs are almost never just picture of the page. They can be, but they rarely are.

To add to this, having a PDF that is just a scanned image is a relatively recent development, when PDF was developed you almost exclusively would use it for computer generated stuff.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
If I mix 1 L water at 20° C with 1 L water at 40°, do I get 2 L water at 30°, or is it somehow more complicated than that? How about 500 mL 20° with 1 L 40° - would I get 35° water? Or would it take 1.5 L of 40°?

I feel like high-school chemistry prepared me for this, but all I remember is PV=nRT, and I don't remember how I'm supposed to use 'n' in this situation.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I just got contacts for the first time in my life now that I'm pushing thirty. Seem to work well, but I'm plagued by the feeling of something in my eye. I realize that there is now a hunk of plastic resting on the surface of my eye, but is this something you get used to over time? If you've worn contacts for a long time, does it ever get to the point that it feels completely normal to have them in?

Also, any protips from any nice goons would be greatly appreciated.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

If I mix 1 L water at 20° C with 1 L water at 40°, do I get 2 L water at 30°, or is it somehow more complicated than that? How about 500 mL 20° with 1 L 40° - would I get 35° water? Or would it take 1.5 L of 40°?

I feel like high-school chemistry prepared me for this, but all I remember is PV=nRT, and I don't remember how I'm supposed to use 'n' in this situation.

You don't use n in this situation, because PV=nRT is the ideal gas law, and you're working with liquids. I could have answered the rest of your question a long time ago, but I'm afraid I have long since forgotten most of the thermodynamics I learned in college.

e: This implies that you are correct.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 31, 2010

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Danger Mahoney posted:

So I just got contacts for the first time in my life now that I'm pushing thirty. Seem to work well, but I'm plagued by the feeling of something in my eye. I realize that there is now a hunk of plastic resting on the surface of my eye, but is this something you get used to over time? If you've worn contacts for a long time, does it ever get to the point that it feels completely normal to have them in?

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to having them in, then it was completely natural. I had much more trouble learning how to jam my fingers into my eyes to get the contacts in and out than I did learning to live with them once they were in. My only tip is don't eat spicy food with your fingers at night. No matter how well you wash your hands, you won't be able to get all the hot sauce off your fingertips.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'm (hoping I'm) flying West out of Boston, Saturday in the early morning.
It looks to be about exactly the time that "Earl" is projected to be cruising by there -but most likely some distance off the coast.
Do they close an airport/cancel or postpone flights for a Class 1 that is nearby and heading the other direction?

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I'm a 17 year old junior in high school looking towards quitting and getting my GED either to enter college early or do something more productive than high school for a year. My SAT scores are well above average so I should be able to pass the GED easily.

I'm a year old for my grade (parents started me in school late), so I'll be 18 if I enter college next year. So no worrying about the financial annoyances of being a minor in college.

I wouldn't want to miss my senior high school year except that I go to a private school with only a few people in my class. It's more like a "learning center" than a school I guess you could say..

Questions:
Would getting my GED after this semester (first half of junior year) be a good idea? I'm not sure what I would do with the rest of the year.. can one start ACC courses mid-year? Otherwise I suppose I could do volunteer work or get a job. Half a year of volunteer work wouldn't be bad for college applications

That brings up another issue.. is it very likely I'd be able to apply to colleges for next year? What's the latest time of year I could send stuff in?
And if I did do volunteer work/ACC courses instead of finishing out my junior year, I guess I couldn't put that on my transcript

Fake edit: Just talked to my mom and she says it might be best to apply to colleges first, and if they're interested in me, THEN take the GED. Reason being the GED is really just a technicality and all the colleges can tell from me taking it is that I'm not a complete dumbass, so it wouldn't factor into their decision. This would mean I wouldn't have to drop out of school before hand (can't take it if you're currently enrolled). True?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there any truth to the perception that microwaved foods and liquids seem to cool down faster than normally heated items?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

It will most certainly take some time to get used to, but if you're wearing soft contacts you shouldn't be feeling them in a few weeks' time. If you've got hard contacts, you will always feel them when you first put them in and when your eyes get dry at the end of the day.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Is there any truth to the perception that microwaved foods and liquids seem to cool down faster than normally heated items?

No.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wyatt posted:

No.

Well, overall temp for temp no. But the perception is there because of uneven heating.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I am 28 years old and have never touched a car part in my life except to maybe put a little oil in my car. How or where can I learn to start learning the basics of how an engine and car works and how to service my own car? This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but I have no idea where to go about learning it.

Thanks!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Get a Haynes manual and some socket wrenches, then just start fixing poo poo. It's honestly not that complicated, if you can put legos together, you can take apart/put together car parts.

Be prepared to curse a lot and cut your hands, by the way.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dandy Cat posted:

I am 28 years old and have never touched a car part in my life except to maybe put a little oil in my car. How or where can I learn to start learning the basics of how an engine and car works and how to service my own car? This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but I have no idea where to go about learning it.

Thanks!

Auto mechanics is a very "hands on" type trade/skill. There's a lot of "book learning" you can do but the problem is that without "tool in hand" a lot of it won't mean much to you.

In the age of the internet it's a lot easier to learn but it helps to start with a specific topic, like how to R&R (remove and replace) a wheel hub on x car. I wouldn't recommend "learning" on your car or something that you may need to use but getting an old lawn mower or something and restoring/rebuilding it will go miles in teaching you the basics. (rebuilding a lawnmower engine is the start of the US army auto mechanics course)

The big hump is tools. You'll need quite a few to do even the most basic stuff and they aren't cheap, well they are if you buy the 151 piece kits that have 141 pieces you'll never use, and the remaining 10 will break or be a bad fit.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
Well, I don't really have like a huge goal of completely servicing my car by myself, but I would really like to learn maybe how to change oil and replace my brake pads and all that jazz.

Also, no garage kind of scraps those plans until maybe after this winter. Basically my dream is to one day be able to own an older model car(think 60s or 70s) and be able to fix it myself and drive it around. I've always wanted a mustang or a charger. I love old cars. :3:

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dandy Cat posted:

Well, I don't really have like a huge goal of completely servicing my car by myself, but I would really like to learn maybe how to change oil and replace my brake pads and all that jazz.

Also, no garage kind of scraps those plans until maybe after this winter. Basically my dream is to one day be able to own an older model car(think 60s or 70s) and be able to fix it myself and drive it around. I've always wanted a mustang or a charger. I love old cars. :3:

Ahh, then do it yourself but be meticulous in reading and understanding what and why you are doing whatever it is. When the manual says to buy a new "crush washer" do it and google why.

Older cars are definitely easier to work on but going into it "eyes wide open" is imperative (you'll need a shitload of tools, equpiment and know-how). Cutting corners in auto mechanics is ok when it's an emergency (also a nice skill) but overall is a really bad practice: "Always use the right tool/part for the job"

E: And if you get in over your head get help or start over, I've known people who have caused others to overheat and blow a head gasket (destroy the engine for the most pat) because they didn't adjust the brakes properly after replacing the pads.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 1, 2010

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The big hump is tools. You'll need quite a few to do even the most basic stuff and they aren't cheap, well they are if you buy the 151 piece kits that have 141 pieces you'll never use, and the remaining 10 will break or be a bad fit.

I assume brake pads are more complicated, but for changing oil all you really need is a jack (or some method of ramp or something to help you get under your car), a wrench, and something to catch old oil. Also a band wrench if you're unsure of your hand strength in removing and installing the filter.

Honestly, changing oil isn't too difficult technically, but doing it in your driveway with a jack or what have you sounds like it could be a pain in the rear end. All you do is pop the oil drain plug, let the oil drain, reinstall the plug, remove and install the new filter, and add oil. Once you figure out what an oil filter and oil pan look like (and I'm sure Google image search and videos on Youtube could help you with that) you're pretty much good to go. I knew nothing about cars either a few months ago and got a job at a quick lube place. Still no car genius, hence my lack of knowledge on brake pads, but changing oil is easier than you'd think.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Changing the oil is super easy. I'm not a car person (I don't even own one), but I've done it. However, once you factor in the cost of the filter & oil, you end up spending about $20... the same price you'd be charged at a shop.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Dandy Cat posted:

Do you have a garage? The way I learned about cars was I bought a 73 mustang convertible in awful condition, but with a decent, rust free body, and started tooling it at, teaching myself along the way, occasionally getting help from friends occasionally. I made a lot of mistakes, but I can say that I've held every piece of my car in my hand, and I know what literally everything in it does. It was a great way to learn from me, but YMMV.

And you really don't need a billion tools. If you have an american car, especially an older one, a set of standard sockets and some screwdrivers is really all you need, save for specialty tools like shock compressors and the such.

Brake pads are a pain in the rear end, btw. I will do anything on my car, but I hate brake pads. It's not worth the time you spend on it, cheaper/easier to have it done, as long as you know what you're talking about and don't let them fleece you.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

...but for changing oil all you really need is a jack (or some method of ramp or something to help you get under your car)...

I'm pretty sure you want to keep the car flat so the oil drains properly. If your car is lowered enough that you can't squeeze under, you just have to take it to a shop unless you know someone with a lift.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Changing the oil is super easy. I'm not a car person (I don't even own one), but I've done it. However, once you factor in the cost of the filter & oil, you end up spending about $20... the same price you'd be charged at a shop.

This is so very true. Add to that the fact that you have to pay to properly dispose of used motor (or commit a felony by illegally dumping it) and there is no reason to ever change your oil yourself.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Why do characters in movies and TV always say that they want to "call their lawyer"?

Don't most people just hire lawyers on an ad hoc basis? Maybe some people do have their own lawyers, but isn't this mostly rich people? In TV and movies it seems like everyone has their own lawyer just waiting in the wings.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elphiem posted:

Why do characters in movies and TV always say that they want to "call their lawyer"?

Don't most people just hire lawyers on an ad hoc basis? Maybe some people do have their own lawyers, but isn't this mostly rich people? In TV and movies it seems like everyone has their own lawyer just waiting in the wings.

Lawyers themselves don't typically sit around police stations waiting for clients, they are at their own offices and need to be called. The pronoun "their" merely possesses the lawyer predicate because the lawyer will be theirs personally.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

baquerd posted:

Lawyers themselves don't typically sit around police stations waiting for clients, they are at their own offices and need to be called. The pronoun "their" merely possesses the lawyer predicate because the lawyer will be theirs personally.

That's not really what I was getting at.

I was talking about how these characters in TV and movies have a lawyer that they know personally, and are usually on a first-name basis with. So when they say "their lawyer", they really mean it. These lawyers may have other clients, but it seems that they are always available, and waiting in the wings for these characters.

Most people in the real world don't have that, they usually have to research/find a lawyer for their particular problem, and then hire someone that they've never met before.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 1, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elphiem posted:

That's not really what I was getting at.

I was talking about how these characters in TV and movies have a lawyer that they know personally, and are usually on a first-name basis with. So when they say "their lawyer", they really mean it.

Most people in the real world don't have that, they usually have to research/find a lawyer for their particular problem, and then hire someone that they've never met before.

It's an easy way for writers to skip the plot of lawyer getting to know the client? Maybe they're trying to convey this person is fairly wealthy or influential. Do you have any particular examples to disucss? They likely have varying answers.

Edit:
I have a lawyer's number on me right now, never met the guy but I could be on the phone with a lawyer's office like that if I felt I needed one. I think just about everyone should have some guy's card on them.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 1, 2010

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

baquerd posted:

I have a lawyer's number on me right now, never met the guy but I could be on the phone with a lawyer's office like that if I felt I needed one. I think just about everyone should have some guy's card on them.

But don't most lawyers specialize in certain areas of law? You wouldn't call a corporate lawyer for a divorce case.

So wouldn't most people need to research/find a lawyer?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elphiem posted:

But don't most lawyers specialize in certain areas of law? You wouldn't call a corporate lawyer for a divorce case.

So wouldn't most people need to research/find a lawyer?

Any lawyer will do for a start, and can recommend you another lawyer if they are not specialists in what you need one for.

Protip: If you need a lawyer in a hurry it's pretty much always going to be a criminal one.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

This is so very true. Add to that the fact that you have to pay to properly dispose of used motor (or commit a felony by illegally dumping it) and there is no reason to ever change your oil yourself.

I'm not sure if this is widespread, but in Massachusetts at least, I believe any place that sells motor oil has to take it back for disposal. So you just funnel the old stuff into old bottles and bring it back to Autozone or where ever you bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm not sure if this is widespread, but in Massachusetts at least, I believe any place that sells motor oil has to take it back for disposal. So you just funnel the old stuff into old bottles and bring it back to Autozone or where ever you bought it.

This is true in Washington also. They have a big self service bin in the back of the parking lot for your old stuff. poo poo, we even have free hazmat service at the dump for antifreeze and the like.