Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

you might be able to look up last year's stuff via however you're filing, or it might be in your email as an attachment. Either the AGI itself or the stuff you used to find your AGI last year - w2, whatever. You could also try to call the state's tax office, but I don't know how well that would work.
that's the deal, i have emails and files for everything else, i just missed this one somehow. i called them and got an access code in about 2 minutes. whew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

two fish posted:

Do you think I could pull off something like asking for their autograph? It would be cool to have a collection of those, like a snapshot of 2024 governors.

Most high level executives have a png of their signature that their staff can put on whatever. I assume the same is true of elected officials with staff. So yeah, you probably can and also it will be a print of a png.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

butt dickus posted:

i am a stupid rear end in a top hat who waits until the last day to do his taxes. normally this is not an issue as they're pretty simple, but it seems last year i didn't save my state form. this means i don't know what my AGI was, and i need that to verify my identity. i have my federal return and w-2. is there a way to figure out what my kansas AGI was for last year?
If your Kansas AGI last year was the same as your federal AGI, you can find it by requesting a transcript of your 2022 federal tax return from the IRS.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

BonHair posted:

Most high level executives have a png of their signature that their staff can put on whatever. I assume the same is true of elected officials with staff. So yeah, you probably can and also it will be a print of a png.

As long as I get it with an official letter, that's good enough for me!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How bad a sign is it that I can hear my external hard drive in my speakers? I noticed recently that the external SSD that holds my DJ library likes to make some little beeping sounds, when I load a track in the software. I can hear it out of the drive and also out of my speakers. And right now I'm copying a video file from another external SSD and I can hear a constant dull beeping through my speakers as well.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Speakers love to pick up electromagnetic interference. I had a pair that got pretty good radio reception, even when disconnected from power.

Is the speaker cable entangled with other cables and/or are you using the front panel headphone jack? Those tend to have poor isolation. If it's laptop speakers, then good luck fixing it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I figured it was some sort of interference getting it into the speakers, the odd part is being able to hear the drives themselves. And the fact that it's a recent development.

They're my studio monitors; maybe it's time for some new cables and to clean up the small rat's nest behind my desk has become. Thanks for the quick reply!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You're probably hearing the changes in power draw over usb.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-BHI667po

The ssd itself can make a faint actual sound as well.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-BHI667po

The ssd itself can make a faint actual sound as well.

What if SSDs can feel pain and they are constantly yelling in agony?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

What if SSDs can feel pain and they are constantly yelling in agony?

Then computers and I have something in common

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i effectively paid off my mortgage this month with 1 cent remaining because they wouldn't let me pay the full amount. i assume i am going to be inundated with junk mail for home warranty garbage. i have already been getting these infrequently and i every time i call them and say "dogg i know you gotta get a paycheck but tell your scam company to stop mailing me garbage." is there something i can do to stop this ahead of time?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What you’re actually going to get in 5 to 10 years is a notice that they kept all your info on file forever and your SSN was stolen in a data breach.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i effectively paid off my mortgage this month with 1 cent remaining because they wouldn't let me pay the full amount. i assume i am going to be inundated with junk mail for home warranty garbage. i have already been getting these infrequently and i every time i call them and say "dogg i know you gotta get a paycheck but tell your scam company to stop mailing me garbage." is there something i can do to stop this ahead of time?

not really

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Is it possible to "over-harvest" a geothermal site and cool off the rocks at the bottom of the well to the point of uselessness?

If that did happen, I'm sure the site would heat up again but I have zero idea how long that'd take. Hours? Decades?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Is it possible to "over-harvest" a geothermal site and cool off the rocks at the bottom of the well to the point of uselessness?

If that did happen, I'm sure the site would heat up again but I have zero idea how long that'd take. Hours? Decades?

Not without cooling off the entire interior of the earth, no. All geothermal energy is doing is using the heat to create steam, there's an insignificant level of additional cooling as compared to the natural processes.

Like 95% of our non-solar (and some of our solar) power generation is just 'steam make turbine go brr' variously. That number is made up but approximately accurate.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Geothermal energy has an even longer expiration date than solar energy, it'll be 90 billion years or so until the earth cools and the sun's only got like 4.5 billion or so until it explodes.

I suppose you could think up a science fiction device that drills deep enough into the earth to more directly harvest thermal energy like it's apokolips or something and speed up the cooling of the earth but that's probably pretty much impossible.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 17, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Forgive that this question borders on politics, but: regarding Rishi Sunak's proposed age-based tobacco purchasing ban, based on what we've seen in the past with prohibitionist policies on alcohol and marijuana, what makes us think it will work in this case? For the record, I'm personally against all three of those substances, but I am also not loving blind and can see that the bans haven't worked out.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
On the one hand those prohibitions haven't worked on the other hand those substances are a lot cooler than tobacco, probably see more people vaping.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Magnetic North posted:

Forgive that this question borders on politics, but: regarding Rishi Sunak's proposed age-based tobacco purchasing ban, based on what we've seen in the past with prohibitionist policies on alcohol and marijuana, what makes us think it will work in this case? For the record, I'm personally against all three of those substances, but I am also not loving blind and can see that the bans haven't worked out.

Smoking rates have decreased dramatically throughout the Western world, so it's obvious that both government policies and cultural change have already worked well. Presumably the blanket bans wouldn't include harsh punishments, and the small minority who would still want to import tobacco products or grow their own could still do so, the way you can very easily acquire weed in countries where it's decriminalised but not fully legal.

And you could probably argue that prohibitionist policies are actually very successful in a lot of places, if you take the goal to be low rates of consumption rather than total absence throughout society. Alcohol consumption rates are miniscule in many Muslim countries, and cannabis has essentially not been a part of European society for most of the 20th century. It's a question of balancing out harms - using police resources to control small-time weed growing or home brewing operations is stupid, but a ban on public sales will always significantly limit consumption*.

*I'm aware of the studies showing that alcohol consumption increased during prohibition in some Western countries, but the changes weren't huge and were probably associated with cultural change rather than the simple effect of prohibition.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The risk/reward calculations for alcohol and weed are a lot better than for tobacco if they were banned. Basically, going to a black market to get cigarettes will not be worth it for the majority of smokers, because the high is not that good. Obviously illegal import from neighbouring countries would be easier than smuggling weed, but I'm still not sure the criminal networks would have enough incentive to keep it up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

BonHair posted:

The risk/reward calculations for alcohol and weed are a lot better than for tobacco if they were banned. Basically, going to a black market to get cigarettes will not be worth it for the majority of smokers, because the high is not that good. Obviously illegal import from neighbouring countries would be easier than smuggling weed, but I'm still not sure the criminal networks would have enough incentive to keep it up.

I was thinking that too, but we already have people selling untaxed tobacco in the form of loosies in large cities with high taxes like NY. It's not like they card people. So, why wouldn't that continue and increase? I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to understand the efficacy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I was thinking that too, but we already have people selling untaxed tobacco in the form of loosies in large cities with high taxes like NY. It's not like they card people. So, why wouldn't that continue and increase? I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to understand the efficacy.

It's a lot easier to buy a pack of cigarettes (legal, available nearly everywhere) and sell them individually (illegal) than it is to buy a pack (illegal, not available at any major store) and sell them individually.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Tobacco is just a lovely drug that's easy to legislate against. Smoking rates dropped hugely as a result of getting schools to teach kids the actual truth about what smoking does to you, in opposition to how badly the war on drugs stuff failed when they tried to lie to kids about what weed and alcohol do.

Making it harder to get cigarettes works pretty well because most people only smoke as a result of addiction, not because smoking is fun or social or good, so when people have to pay a lot more to get them illegally they just don't bother.

I dunno what the specific legislation you're talking about is but it'll probably have some minor effect on reducing tobacco use just by making it harder to get, but unlikely to help people stop smoking who are already addicted.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I think bans are the only real solution, since there's really little room to tax the desirability out of tobacco.

Research has shown that smokers (at least those who can afford it) are willing to pay even $60 for a pack if taxes are raised that far.

And the "anyone born after 200x can't buy tobacco" model is actually fairly generous if you compare it to what happens when other things get put on the list of illegal substances (or alcohol during prohibition). At least the old people who are super addicted still get to buy cigarettes.
I recognize that this is also politics: Only people who can't vote yet get their cigarettes taken away from them, so no one is going to vote against the govt over this ban. But I hope it works! And that the tories get voted out of office for all of their other crimes

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

EricBauman posted:

Research has shown that smokers (at least those who can afford it) are willing to pay even $60 for a pack if taxes are raised that far.

:staredog: holy poo poo. I'm so glad I am hopelessly unsalvagably uncool so I never had to try smoking.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Flournival Dixon posted:

Geothermal energy has an even longer expiration date than solar energy, it'll be 90 billion years or so until the earth cools and the sun's only got like 4.5 billion or so until it explodes.

I suppose you could think up a science fiction device that drills deep enough into the earth to more directly harvest thermal energy like it's apokolips or something and speed up the cooling of the earth but that's probably pretty much impossible.

To clarify, I wasn't talking about cooling the entire Earth, just one local site. There's obviously always more heat coming up from below, but is it even possible to over-cool the particular rocks through which a geothermal well flows, and then have to wait for a reheating to happen before it can produce usable amounts of power again?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

To clarify, I wasn't talking about cooling the entire Earth, just one local site. There's obviously always more heat coming up from below, but is it even possible to over-cool the particular rocks through which a geothermal well flows, and then have to wait for a reheating to happen before it can produce usable amounts of power again?

No, the rocks aren't being significantly cooled and are (almost) eternally being reheated. What mechanism do you think is extracting heat here?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Powered Descent posted:

no, that site will stay warm until the tectonic plates move in such a way that it is sealed or transported, likely hundreds of thousands of years or even millions from now

a geothermal site is already full of water, we don't have technology that can like pull heat out of the ground in any accelerated way that could cool a specific spot

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
We're doing the equivalent of tossing (much) less than a drop of water onto the side of a cast iron skillet that's sitting on an active burner.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

EricBauman posted:

Not so long ago I used to work in a community services/public health role in a regional Australian town. I can assure you that there's LOTS of people around here who are well below the poverty line still spending $60 a packet on cigarettes. Or buying black market tobacco or vapes and smoking those. The price isn't much of a deterrent at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Flournival Dixon posted:

Making it harder to get cigarettes works pretty well because most people only smoke as a result of addiction, not because smoking is fun or social or good, so when people have to pay a lot more to get them illegally they just don't bother.
Most people who are addicted to smoking started because it is fun and social and good (well, enjoyable, obviously not good in a health sense). I haven't smoked regularly for years but I certainly enjoy the one pack I allow myself per year.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think the types of "bans" that had the most affect re: cigarettes are not age restrictions and price increases but simply reducing the number of places where it's allowed or socially acceptable to smoke. the main thing that led to a culture shift where i live was the widespread banning of smoking inside restaurants and bars.

once it became the kind of thing where you have to stop your conversation and get up and go outside to have a smoke, it just stopped being a part of the experience for most people except for those who were heavily addicted, and by now most of those people (i was one of them) have either quit or died. when i was a teenager i smoked a lot at the cafe where i hung out because it was allowed and even if i wasn't legally able to buy cigarettes it was easy to bum them from people at the cafe or get a friend there to go buy me a pack. now you can't smoke within 25 feet of the doorway of a cafe, so the once common practice of sitting around endlessly drinking coffee and smoking is just no longer a thing.

i still find myself tempted whenever i'm travelling in certain european countries where, in spite of indoor smoking bans, smoking is still allowed at outdoor restaurant/cafe tables. the whole atmosphere of casual social smoking is still there in certain areas and it absolutely brings the cravings back

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

No, the rocks aren't being significantly cooled and are (almost) eternally being reheated. What mechanism do you think is extracting heat here?

By running cold water through it, which then warms up and carries some heat away to the surface. By definition, taking away thermal energy like that will lower the temperature there, just like a water cooling block on a CPU. Yes, there's always more energy arriving from below, but the speed of heat transfer through a material like rock isn't instantaneous, and so I got to wondering if (temporarily!) over-cooling the local rock was something that might happen. But it's sounding like my mistake is in underestimating the sheer scale of the thermal mass we're talking about here (even in a small area), and any cooling we could conceivably produce down there wouldn't even be measurable, let alone significant.

e: Looks like I may have spoken to soon on that; see alnilam's post below.

Flournival Dixon posted:

a geothermal site is already full of water, we don't have technology that can like pull heat out of the ground in any accelerated way that could cool a specific spot

I asked after reading an article about new types of power plant that do exactly that -- see particularly the "closed loop" style at lower left.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 17, 2024

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My understanding is vaping has absolutely hosed the good work of anti-smoking campaigns stopping young people from smoking.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

My understanding is vaping has absolutely hosed the good work of anti-smoking campaigns stopping young people from smoking.

maybe to some degree. but it used to be that impressionable kids would turn on tv or movies and see cool badass people smoking cigarettes and thus want to smoke themelves. i dont think that's happened with vaping at all. i've certain a couple of movies in which a character attempts to "vape menacingly" and it just does not come off the same way at all

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I asked this exact question when visiting a geothermal plant once (Geysers in northern California) and the answer is yes. At that site, just as one example, heat is being extracted from the thermal reservoir faster than it comes back in from the deeper places of the earth and it will be effectively "mined out" in a few decades. In fact its output has slowed considerably since it came online. Of course then you could wait for it to reheat, which I imagine might occur on a similar timescale, or you could slow down and reach a point of equilibrium where it's replenished at the same rate of extraction.

Google sucks these days but one thing I could find beyond just my memory is this page, which looks very 90s but is actually course material from a geology course at a major university, so it's pretty legit. You can see there the math worked out for the Geysers site specifically. I will say the math looks very back of the envelope (it's a medium level course) and kind of hand-waves away the rate of replenishment as being "much slower than the rate of extraction" which I guess you have to take at face value. But then the Wikipedia page on geothermal energy also has two citations for measurable cooldowns (and reductions in output) at three very old geothermal power plants:

Wikipedia posted:

However, local effects of heat extraction must be considered. Over the course of decades, individual wells draw down local temperatures and water levels. The three oldest sites, at Larderello, Wairakei, and the Geysers experienced reduced output because of local depletion. Heat and water, in uncertain proportions, were extracted faster than they were replenished. Reducing production and injecting additional water could allow these wells to recover their original capacity. Such strategies have been implemented at some sites. These sites continue to provide significant energy.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Earwicker posted:

maybe to some degree. but it used to be that impressionable kids would turn on tv or movies and see cool badass people smoking cigarettes and thus want to smoke themelves. i dont think that's happened with vaping at all. i've certain a couple of movies in which a character attempts to "vape menacingly" and it just does not come off the same way at all

The stats say young people are into vaping, whatever is going on in the media.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

The stats say young people are into vaping, whatever is going on in the media.
Hasn't vaping has also lead to more younger people smoking cigarettes too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

alnilam posted:

I asked this exact question when visiting a geothermal plant once (Geysers in northern California) and the answer is yes. At that site, just as one example, heat is being extracted from the thermal reservoir faster than it comes back in from the deeper places of the earth and it will be effectively "mined out" in a few decades. In fact its output has slowed considerably since it came online. Of course then you could wait for it to reheat, which I imagine might occur on a similar timescale, or you could slow down and reach a point of equilibrium where it's replenished at the same rate of extraction.

Google sucks these days but one thing I could find beyond just my memory is this page, which looks very 90s but is actually course material from a geology course at a major university, so it's pretty legit. You can see there the math worked out for the Geysers site specifically. I will say the math looks very back of the envelope (it's a medium level course) and kind of hand-waves away the rate of replenishment as being "much slower than the rate of extraction" which I guess you have to take at face value. But then the Wikipedia page on geothermal energy also has two citations for measurable cooldowns (and reductions in output) at three very old geothermal power plants:

Huh, I asked when I was visiting Iceland and they said there was effectively limitless heat based on current technology, I guess I was wrong.