Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Elphiem posted:

But don't most lawyers specialize in certain areas of law? You wouldn't call a corporate lawyer for a divorce case.

So wouldn't most people need to research/find a lawyer?

"you'll be hearing from my lawyer" irl and in tv shows sounds a lot more intimidating than "I don't currently have a lawyer but I'm going to research lawyers in the local area for a couple weeks, and find one who is very good at dealing with this specific topic, hire him and he will be contacting you, if he is available and if I have the funds to pay for a retainer."

E: Hmm what happened to my custom title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Elphiem posted:

That's not really what I was getting at.

I was talking about how these characters in TV and movies have a lawyer that they know personally, and are usually on a first-name basis with. So when they say "their lawyer", they really mean it. These lawyers may have other clients, but it seems that they are always available, and waiting in the wings for these characters.

Most people in the real world don't have that, they usually have to research/find a lawyer for their particular problem, and then hire someone that they've never met before.

Lawyers are like plungers. Get one before you need one.

I "have" a lawyer and I'm not some big time hot shot guy. He is the guy I would call if I needed a criminal attorney or if I needed another kind of lawyer recommended to me. I know his price and respect his opinion.
A lawyer is someone you really have to trust, so it's a good idea to "have" one that isn't going to screw you over.
The best lawyers are also going to be like the best of other services: You won't be able to get them on short notice because they have no time and are not taking on new clients.

In movies, TV, and sometimes real life, when a criminal has a lawyer, it's because they're a career criminal and part of the budget is to have a lawyer on retainer. Business people have lawyers too because their business involves legal doings on a regular basis.

Q: I need the best Shoofly Pie between Cleveland and Sandusky. I see some Amish furniture places on Google, but the only bakery is an hour the other way.

Also, could someone address my earlier question? If there is a Class 1 hurricane 100 miles East of Boston on Saturday morning will flights be delayed that are going West?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I am trying to make a bunch of stupid gifs from a video but adobe premier exports the gifs with scan lines in them what is a good program to use to convert short video clips (1-3 seconds) into gifs?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Very Strange Things posted:

Also, could someone address my earlier question? If there is a Class 1 hurricane 100 miles East of Boston on Saturday morning will flights be delayed that are going West?

I see really no reason why. Hurricanes move relatively slow and a cat 1 100 miles away is just a windy day for the most part. I guess it's possible if inbound flights from the east are delayed causing a ripple effect.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

What's a good low-mid range wireless router? The one I used to have was terrible.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

What's a good low-mid range wireless router? The one I used to have was terrible.

Price versus capabilities? Linksys WRT54GL hands down.

The only issues you may have with it is that it does not have GigE or Wireless N so if you're doing a lot of LAN work you will not be at the best possible speeds.

You can also hack it and make it do tons of other stuff if you're into that kind of thing.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
edit: ^yup, beaten.

Econosaurus posted:

You can find a linksys wrg 54 for $30 usually at amazon or newegg. Just search for 'linksys' and 'wireless', sort by price low to high and grab the first 5-star rated one.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Sometimes on sunny days I see people (okay, women) (okay, usually Asian women and usually older) walking around with umbrellas to protect them from the sun. I have very fair skin that burns easily (never tans, just burns & goes back to pale) and this seems like a great idea. Sunscreen is okay, but it itches & makes me sticky, and also sometimes I'm not expecting to be out very long and welp 15 minutes later I'm burned so it'd be easier to carry a small umbrella in my bag just in case.

My question is: just how eccentric/stupid does it look to you? I know this shouldn't matter, but I'd like to get some other impressions regardless.

I suspect the answer is "stop being such a loving goon"

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 2, 2010

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

The answer is do whatever the gently caress you want if it helps you not burn.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My question is: just how eccentric/stupid does it look to you? I know this shouldn't matter, but I'd like to get some other impressions regardless.

You live in a gluttonous society that will ridicule you for anything that is not in keeping with what they deem "normal". Don't give a poo poo what people think and live your life (especially if you are doing something you think will make your life longer or better).

That's coming from someone who would probably ridicule you behind your back though. ;) ;)

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Eyeball posted:

I'm pretty sure you want to keep the car flat so the oil drains properly. If your car is lowered enough that you can't squeeze under, you just have to take it to a shop unless you know someone with a lift.
Only has to be jacked while you pop the plug, you can put it back down while it drains :eng101:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not going to argue that but it's anything other than dumb conformity but if you're an American dude carrying an umbrella in the sun, you're absolutely going to get made fun of by like every single person who sees you. Many people might not even get that it's for the sun and would just assume you're a lunatic.

Exceptions: if you're willing to tell everyone it's a legit medical necessity, or if you travel in a something like a fashionista/hipster crowd and can pass it off as trendsetting.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

A Violence Gang posted:

Not going to argue that but it's anything other than dumb conformity but if you're an American dude carrying an umbrella in the sun, you're absolutely going to get made fun of by like every single person who sees you. Many people might not even get that it's for the sun and would just assume you're a lunatic.

Exceptions: if you're willing to tell everyone it's a legit medical necessity, or if you travel in a something like a fashionista/hipster crowd and can pass it off as trendsetting.

Does it help that I'm a chick?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

A Violence Gang posted:

I dont know if its just the area that I live in (DC metro), but I see people with umbrellas walking around every time it is super sunny. I know its weird, but I have just gotten used to it I guess.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Does it help that I'm a chick?

Yeah, that helps a lot. Maybe a little eccentric depending on your area but shouldn't make you look like a total weirdo, go for it.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
I'm posting this question for my friend who would like to see if anyone has any experience with this kind of stuff:

I recently resigned from my place of employment because I was pretty much forced out, it was going to lead to being fired. My supervisor was verbally very abusing and had made my life very difficult in addition to scheming to get me fired. Anyway, upon leaving the company, they offered me a severance package which I have accepted - I guess because they didn't want me to sue them? The HR rep said I can say it was a mutual understanding between the company and I and I was headed towards termination. He would confirm this if I put it in the claim.

I was also paying 80% of my paycheck to day care which didnt make sense for me to work since the other 20% covered my commute expenses

I am trying to apply for California unemployment benefits, but for my reason for being unemployed, I'm not sure what to write to ensure I get accepted for benefiits. Two options are:

1. It was a mutual agreement between Company and I and I have received a severance package from Company (very vague).

2. I resigned from my position because my salary was pretty much covering day care costs + commute. I plan on working from home in tech evenings and on weekends when my husband can care for our children.

Since I accepted the severance package, part of it was that I cannot file anything against the company or bad mouth them in anyway. Plus the HR guy would not confirm this if I apply for benefits.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is a stronger case?

I appreciate your responses!

rndm fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 2, 2010

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

What would happen, if anything, to a bird/cat/dog etc if it ate a black widow or brown recluse? Ignoring the possibility of the spider biting the animal as it was ingested, would the venom in the spider, upon entering the animal's digestive system, cause the animal to die?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Eating a black widow will normally not kill a small predator (birds, et cetera), but the sickness that follows digestion is enough for the creature to remember that the bright red means not to eat.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If anyone gives you poo poo about it, just tell them you have a rare skin disorder and too much sun will give you vitamin D poisoning and you'll die. Turn it around and make them feel like the rear end in a top hat.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

rndm posted:

I'm posting this question for my wife who would like to see if anyone has any experience with this kind of stuff:

I'm really not sure I understand what happened here. Is your wife trying to figure out if she's eligible for unemployment benefits?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

A Violence Gang posted:

Yeah, that helps a lot. Maybe a little eccentric depending on your area but shouldn't make you look like a total weirdo, go for it.

Gotta disagree. Instead of being "that guy with the umbrella" she'll be "that girl with the umbrella."

Also seconding the dude that said it depends on your style of dress/company you keep. If you're kind of a hipster type it'll go over better than if you're kind of nerdy/geeky.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Sometimes on sunny days I see people (okay, women) (okay, usually Asian women and usually older) walking around with umbrellas to protect them from the sun. I have very fair skin that burns easily (never tans, just burns & goes back to pale) and this seems like a great idea. Sunscreen is okay, but it itches & makes me sticky, and also sometimes I'm not expecting to be out very long and welp 15 minutes later I'm burned so it'd be easier to carry a small umbrella in my bag just in case.

I don't see many women carrying a parasol or umbrella on a bright sunny day, but it's not eccentric to me.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kari Byron does it all the time on Mythbusters.

And I don't know about anyone else, but if I see a girl carrying an umbrella on a sunny day, I think "She probably burns really easily". I then go back to doing whatever I was doing before. I don't think it'll be a big deal.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Guy with an umbrella: What is that freak doing with an umbrella?

Girl with an umbrella: Man she is kind of cute - I should avoid her because I am a goony goony goon.

If it works for you, go for it. I mean, maybe aim for a parasol instead of a rain umbrella, but the fact that these things exist mean that they're not too horrible, right?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
If you use an umbrella on a sunny day, yeah a little odd but I'd assume you haven't got a parasol. If you want to do it regularly, get a parasol - they're lighter and look nicer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently bought a baseball cap, and the brim is pre-curved. However, it's curved too much for my taste. Is there a way I can flatten it out somewhat that's better than just setting books or something on it for a while?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

hooah posted:

I recently bought a baseball cap, and the brim is pre-curved. However, it's curved too much for my taste. Is there a way I can flatten it out somewhat that's better than just setting books or something on it for a while?

Bend it back, what's the issue?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hooah posted:

Using an industrial metal press, apply 20,000 pounds of pressure. Flat hat.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

hooah posted:

is it a steel baseball cap?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

WillieWestwood posted:

I don't see many women carrying a parasol or umbrella on a bright sunny day, but it's not eccentric to me.

It may be an cultural thing; I live in a very Latino neighborhood (about 98%), and it is very common to see women with umbrellas on hot, sunshiny days. I also see it quite frequently in Jewish neighborhoods. But hardly ever in predominantly white neighborhoods.

It seems very practical to me, but I'd never do it. But my Mexican girlfriend certainly has toted an umbrella with her when we have to do any significant walking on hot days, simply because that's 'what you do for a hot day, like putting on a raincoat for wet.'

Makes sense.

But even then, I rarely see men with them, anywhere.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there some nerd website that grades or tests the ridiculous designs of fictional (melee) weapons? I'm sure there must be, but I can't seem to find to google combination that doesn't bring up special effects tests, video game demos or similar. Some, like that Klingon sword or Riddick's Ulaks, look a little unwieldy but possibly effective, but others, like anything from a JRPG, look impossible, even with ultralight metals.

It would be awesome if there was a youtube channel that put replica weapons in the hands of actual weapons masters and had them point out flaws or strengths.

:awesome:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Loopyface posted:

Bend it back, what's the issue?

Yeah, I can bend it flatter with my hands, but it won't stay that way for more than a few seconds.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hooah posted:

Yeah, I can bend it flatter with my hands, but it won't stay that way for more than a few seconds.

Over bend it the other way.

Protip: Try on things before you buy them and don't buy things you don't like. ;)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Tons of Asian people in the city here (Canada) use umbrellas or those poker-type hats with the huge brims on them. My Asian buddy said they just don't like being exposed to sun. Fair enough.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is is possible on Facebook to have status updates and pictures and poo poo visible to all your friends, but only certain people are allowed to add comments?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

stubblyhead posted:

Is is possible on Facebook to have status updates and pictures and poo poo visible to all your friends, but only certain people are allowed to add comments?

No, but you can block individual status updates from particular people or lists of people by clicking the padlock icon, so if you wanted to put up a status and didn't want a particular person commenting, you could just hide that one status from them.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I swear there's a specific name/term for the crop pest control strategy where you leave rows or patches that act as a refuge for natural enemies of crop pests. I should know this, I know I used to know, but I just can't remember. Any AgriGoons know the answer?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
My girlfriend bought a mobile phone from play.co.uk a few days ago, received it today, but when she opened it it's much smaller than she expected and she wants to return it and swap it for another model. However, looking at play.co.uk's return policy they say:

quote:

You may return any unopened item within 7 days of receiving it, for a full refund. We will refund your card once we have received and processed the item.

* We will only refund delivery costs if the return is a result of our error.
* We cannot refund or exchange an opened item unless it is faulty, or if the item was sent to you through our error.

Isn't this illegal? I thought the Distance Selling Act gave you 7 days to return goods, even if they'd been opened.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

Is there a way to block mail from a certain address? I'm talking about real SNAIL mail here, not email. An ex keeps sending letters and cards in the mail. As much as I've pleaded with him to stop, I still receive the occasional birthday card or "Hey what's up girl" letter... which my fiance is not too happy about.

Can I just go to the post office and tell them to block his address and mark it "return to sender"? I've searched relentlessly on Google for the answer to this, with no avail.

(don't say get a restraining order, because I live in a different country, I'm not in jeopardy and I only receive a letter once every couple months usually)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Is there a way to block mail from a certain address? I'm talking about real SNAIL mail here, not email. An ex keeps sending letters and cards in the mail. As much as I've pleaded with him to stop, I still receive the occasional birthday card or "Hey what's up girl" letter... which my fiance is not too happy about.

Can I just go to the post office and tell them to block his address and mark it "return to sender"? I've searched relentlessly on Google for the answer to this, with no avail.

(don't say get a restraining order, because I live in a different country, I'm not in jeopardy and I only receive a letter once every couple months usually)

I don't think you can block a specific address, and after spending the last few minutes searching around I am pretty positive of that. Question one, why does your ex have your address in the first place. Still living at the same house I assume? Mark it return to sender and maybe he will get the idea?