Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Return to sender a couple of times. If he persists and it's actually annoying, contact your police station and ask if they can contact his and ask him to stop. Or just contact his local police department directly.

Tell them that you're sure it's harmless, but it's annoying receiving mail from him when you don't want it and he's not listening to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone here have a MiFi/ know someone who does (more specifically, the Virgin Mobile MiFi)? I love the idea of being some kind of cyberpunk nerd

change my name fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 3, 2010

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Tons of Asian people in the city here (Canada) use umbrellas or those poker-type hats with the huge brims on them. My Asian buddy said they just don't like being exposed to sun. Fair enough.

I've seen traffic cops in Houston (as in, big, burly cops) holding an umbrella while directing traffic. I think people are sort of starting to realize that Asian women are on to something here.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

What's a franchise restaurant that has a good Monte Cristo sandwich?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

wheres my arm posted:

EDIT: I am so dumb. I thought I was in the Portland thread for a minute (hours) there.

chachu fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 3, 2010

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

wheres my arm posted:

Cheesecake factory has an ok one. For a franchise, I mean.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Is there an adjective or name that describes a person who likes things to be simple or simplified?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Is there an adjective or name that describes a person who likes things to be simple or simplified?

Minimalist.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Is there a way to block mail from a certain address? I'm talking about real SNAIL mail here, not email. An ex keeps sending letters and cards in the mail. As much as I've pleaded with him to stop, I still receive the occasional birthday card or "Hey what's up girl" letter... which my fiance is not too happy about.

Can I just go to the post office and tell them to block his address and mark it "return to sender"? I've searched relentlessly on Google for the answer to this, with no avail.

(don't say get a restraining order, because I live in a different country, I'm not in jeopardy and I only receive a letter once every couple months usually)

Even if there was, he could just stop putting his return address on the letters and then they wouldn't be blocked, would they? It wouldn't work very well.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

wheres my arm posted:

Bennigan's!

Ok, it's not necessarily "good", but not bad for a franchise. Plus, you can have beer with it. :cheers:

My question is, is there a technical term for medical laser technician?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Simpleton :)

Seriously, though. Spartan is a good one, depending on what exactly you're trying to convey. It means "simple, frugal, austere."

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 3, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Is there a way to block mail from a certain address? I'm talking about real SNAIL mail here, not email. An ex keeps sending letters and cards in the mail. As much as I've pleaded with him to stop, I still receive the occasional birthday card or "Hey what's up girl" letter... which my fiance is not too happy about.

Can I just go to the post office and tell them to block his address and mark it "return to sender"? I've searched relentlessly on Google for the answer to this, with no avail.

(don't say get a restraining order, because I live in a different country, I'm not in jeopardy and I only receive a letter once every couple months usually)

Considering there's no way to block it, realistically, have you tried asking him to donate to a charity on your behalf when he wants to send you stuff. I mean yeah it sounds crazy but whatever.

As others have said - even if you could block his address, he can just use a different or no return address at all. He could even drive to different nearby post offices to mail stuff instead of his town's.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Kobalt posted:

Bennigan's!

Garfield's has an even better monte cristo. No more garfield's where I live though.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
When there is a sudden altitude loss on a commercial plane (like for a second or two) do the stewardesses hit the ceiling? What do they do? Are they trained to respond a certain way?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nous_ posted:

When there is a sudden altitude loss on a commercial plane (like for a second or two) do the stewardesses hit the ceiling? What do they do? Are they trained to respond a certain way?

The plane doesn't instantly go into freefall, it's more like an express elevator going down. The stewardesses would only hit the ceiling if the plane were thrust down faster than gravity could pull it, which weather generally can't do.

I'm sure they are trained for walking around in a turbulent cabin.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
How do I avoid having YouTube immediately remove my video for copyright content when I see that there are many other uploaders who have the same content up but not removed for a long time?

How do some uploaders on youtube have some picture (usually something sexually provocative) in the thumbnail for the video, but that image or scene is nowhere to be found in the video?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Dudebro posted:

How do some uploaders on youtube have some picture (usually something sexually provocative) in the thumbnail for the video, but that image or scene is nowhere to be found in the video?

They insert into one frame a still image of their choosing. They pick the frame that youtube automatically selects for thumbnailing.

EDIT: Looks like it changed. Now you have to be a partner?

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 3, 2010

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Does being at or below sea level affect performance of network cat5e or cat6 cabling?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cuddly Coach posted:

Does being at or below sea level affect performance of network cat5e or cat6 cabling?

No, it's a purely electrical signal If you're too far below sea level, the increased air pressure will constrict the tubes and internet flow will be reduced. If you're too far above sea level, you have to use reinforced tubes or some of the pressurized internet will leak out.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Dudebro posted:

How do I avoid having YouTube immediately remove my video for copyright content when I see that there are many other uploaders who have the same content up but not removed for a long time?

Don't upload copyrighted material and it won't get removed.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Wyatt posted:

Don't upload copyrighted material and it won't get removed.

Search for random music video on youtube. Results: One official video, dozens of others. Upload that same video, immediately removed.

I don't care about ad sharing or whatever. I just wanted to upload something not just for the sake of uploading it.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Dudebro posted:

I had a video that was removed for copyright violations since I had used a commerical song in it. Then, like 8 months later, it was put back on. But now there's a link below the video to buy the song on iTunes.

I'm pretty sure YouTube has an 'auto-block' filter that blocks known commerical content and then notifies the copyright holder. They can then decide if they want to allow the content (with the iTunes advert, or whatever..)

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dudebro posted:

Search for random music video on youtube. Results: One official video, dozens of others. Upload that same video, immediately removed.

I don't care about ad sharing or whatever. I just wanted to upload something not just for the sake of uploading it.
If it's already on Youtube and not taken down, you can save yourself the trouble and link to that instead of uploading your copy only to see it removed.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
How do I use an a cheapass analog multimeter to measure voltage?

I got my first auto-range digital meter at like age 10 in true nerd fashion but last week some emergency continuity-testing far away from home came up and prompted me to go buy the cheapest thing at walmart. I figured the resistance/continuity part out ok, now it's on my desk and I'm playing around with it.

I think I have it figured out, tell me if I'm right.

The only scale for dc voltage goes 0-250 with 5v hashes. it has a 2.5, 10, 50, 250 and 500vdc ranges on the selector.

If I put it in the 2.5vdc range and put the leads onto an aa cell it reads 155vdc.

Soo...since the range, 2.5 is a hundredth of the scale's max 250 and 155 / 100 is what an AA has, is that it? divide by 100 when using the 2.5vdc range?

divide by 25 when using the 10vdc range, divide by 5 when using the 50vdc etc etc.?

Multiply x 2 when using the 500vdc?

I'm pretty sure this has to be it but I've googled for like "how to use analog multimeter" and everything I've seen expects my meter face to have a separate scale for each range, I just have the one 0-250 one.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 3, 2010

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

:science:

I am pretty sure you have it right, but I have never seen an analog multimeter with only one scale like that. Do you have a known power source other than that battery, like a DC power supply that you could confirm with?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

stubblyhead posted:

I am pretty sure you have it right, but I have never seen an analog multimeter with only one scale like that. Do you have a known power source other than that battery, like a DC power supply that you could confirm with?

no bench ps type thing but I have computers. I'll try in a sec. I did just plug it into a 120vac outlet using the 500vac range. AC uses the same 0-250 scale on the meter and it read about 60vac so I think I'm right about *2 when using the 500v ac/dc ranges I guess.

edit: yup. using 50vdc range plugging into the 5vdc side of a molex connector it reads 25vdc and plugging into the 12vdc part of the molex it reads 60 so I guess: reading(range/250)=ELECTRIC VOLTS!

edit again: somewhat related and this reminded me, I have 2 digital meters at home, one of them (from home depot, bright yellow with a rubber cover, looks like a complete ripoff of a fluke) it has ranges on it for ac and dc voltage. Why are there selectable ranges on a digital meter? What's the point of that? my other digital simply has ac volts and dc volts selections.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 3, 2010

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I have a lamp that only takes 40w max bulbs. If i got a energy efficient bulb that used like 11w but is equivalent to 60w would that work or not?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

I have a lamp that only takes 40w max bulbs. If i got a energy efficient bulb that used like 11w but is equivalent to 60w would that work or not?

Yes and you'll be fine. The wattage rating is because of heat for the most part. CFL bulbs do not produce even 1/2 as much heat (hence the power savings). Never use a higher wattage regular bulb. They only put the like wattage on the cfl so you have an idea of the brightness and to tout the energy savings.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

nous_ posted:

Anyone with questions about air travel should pick up Patrick Smith's Ask The Pilot. It's extremely informative. His answer to your question would likely include this: "In the mind's eye of a rider in coach, the plane is plummeting, like a ship toppling over the crests of giant swells. In realty, vertical displacement is infrequently more than about fifty feet, and the plane will not be snatch away and stomped to the ground... [T]he amount of jostling it takes to slam a person against a wall or ceiling is not the sort of stuff even veteran flyers have encountered."

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is probably a dumb question, but is there such a thing as a ceiling fan with built in stabilization to keep it from wobbling around when on high?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

change my name posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but is there such a thing as a ceiling fan with built in stabilization to keep it from wobbling around when on high?

You just need to balance it.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...647&marketID=48

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

Does anyone here have a MiFi/ know someone who does (more specifically, the Virgin Mobile MiFi)? I love the idea of being some kind of cyberpunk nerd

I have one, on the $40 a month prepaid unlimited plan, it works great!

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

change my name posted:

As mentioned, balancing is key.

Also, some people mount the damned thing to the electrical box rather than, you know, something sturdy.

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I have a new social security card coming into my new address. But at the social security office, i forgot to specify the apartment number. I'm freaking out, what do I do?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

alan negative posted:

I have a new social security card coming into my new address. But at the social security office, i forgot to specify the apartment number. I'm freaking out, what do I do?

Is your name on your mailbox?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My guess is it'll likely either get put in with mail to a general office if your apartment complex has one, and your landlord or whoever would just give it to you or that if your postman's astute he could notice and put it in with your stuff. Especially if, like above said, your name is on the box.

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Is your name on your mailbox?

It is not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

alan negative posted:

Inform your landlord.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

alan negative posted:

It is not.

Along with the landlord informing, know that most postmen/women know their route enough to put things in the right place. Varies wildly but even if it is mis-delivered it's not like it is a cashiers check. A social security number/card is not a super secret kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

alan negative posted:

Go down to your mailboxes and make sure your name is visible on yours.