Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is about those cards you get from coffee shops, or bagel shops or sandwich shops where they punch a hole, specifically Noah's Bagels. Its pretty easy to stamp these yourself right? What keeps people from doing it besides "honesty"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Nothing.

A lot of "honor" systems work. +1 for the human race.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Reason posted:

This is about those cards you get from coffee shops, or bagel shops or sandwich shops where they punch a hole, specifically Noah's Bagels. Its pretty easy to stamp these yourself right? What keeps people from doing it besides "honesty"?

Some rely on honesty, but others use a specialized punch, like a star shape or something, to make it harder to copy at home.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

haveblue posted:

Go down to your mailboxes and make sure your name is visible on yours.

At my old place, there were two mailboxes for two "units" in the house. I never had to put "apt 1" or "bottom floor" on my mail; I just taped a 3x5" notecard with my name on it over my mailbox, and I got all of the mail addressed to me.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Whats a good place to buy a lightbulb online

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

At my old place, there were two mailboxes for two "units" in the house. I never had to put "apt 1" or "bottom floor" on my mail; I just taped a 3x5" notecard with my name on it over my mailbox, and I got all of the mail addressed to me.

As a former mailgoon: Put both your name and apartment number and whatever else might be relevant, such as the name of you business on the mailbox. Don't put excessive amounts of seals being clubbed on it please, I will hate you forever for it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Econosaurus posted:

Whats a good place to buy a lightbulb online

could you be more specific there's a lot of different kinds of light bulbs.

I mean, unless you're looking for something specific, amazon.com is probably a decent choice. Anywhere really.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I've found some old motorcycle boots I want to ebay, but have no idea what size they are. Along the top of the boot in white writing there is A 302 8 7 27 - but there's no other indication of which of these is the sizes. These are Ashmans boots if that helps - is there any way I can find out what boots I have here?

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

RaoulDuke12 posted:

could you be more specific there's a lot of different kinds of light bulbs.

I mean, unless you're looking for something specific, amazon.com is probably a decent choice. Anywhere really.

For a desk lamp, type A17 bulb. I cant seem to find it in any stores :(

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I have some action figures that I got from my brother when he was going through a simplification phase. I want to sell them on ebay or SA mart or something, but I have no idea what the gently caress they are. What would be the best subforum to ask in? I think they might be anime action figures, but it's hard to tell.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=3237955&source=GoogleBase

I find your light bulb woes amusing.

HopefullyWild
Feb 4, 2010

by Ozma
Why is the SA store down and when is it due to be back up? I want to upgrade my account and enjoy it while I can.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HopefullyWild posted:

Why is the SA store down and when is it due to be back up? I want to upgrade my account and enjoy it while I can.

secure.somethingawful.com broke during the last forums maintainance and has no ETA until it's fixed.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Econosaurus posted:

I see them at Pavilion's/Vons stores and at Home Depot.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dudebro posted:

How do I avoid having YouTube immediately remove my video for copyright content when I see that there are many other uploaders who have the same content up but not removed for a long time?

YouTube like the other high profile upload places store hashes of uploaded content. If your upload has been removed for cause when someone else uploaded it, then any time you upload something that matches a blacklisted hash, it will be automatically removed.

Shorten it by a 1/2 second and the hash will not longer match, and then it will require an actual DMCA claim to be removed, rather than being automatically rejected.

(this is true for Rapidshare, megaupload etc.)

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

When I am on Skype, I often get messaged by young Algerian men (even when I'm in invisible mode). I don't mind talking to strangers, but I'm just curious as to why they're almost always Algerian. Is everyone on Skype Algerian? Does this happen to other people or only me?

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Florida Betty posted:

When I am on Skype, I often get messaged by young Algerian men (even when I'm in invisible mode). I don't mind talking to strangers, but I'm just curious as to why they're almost always Algerian. Is everyone on Skype Algerian? Does this happen to other people or only me?

My girlfriend got a ton of Algerian men messaging her on Skype about a year ago before she set it to not allow messages from strangers - we surmised that it had something to do with them finding her profile picture attractive, but now my curiosity is piqued as well.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

sc4rs posted:

My girlfriend got a ton of Algerian men messaging her on Skype about a year ago before she set it to not allow messages from strangers - we surmised that it had something to do with them finding her profile picture attractive, but now my curiosity is piqued as well.

I don't have a profile picture up (at least not one that shows me). It does say I'm female, but liking females is not exclusive to Algerians.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
What kind of bug is this? Please don't tell me it's a Roach or I will cry.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/f9/f9f8f6d47d0f5f40f1fab48557f9d2f3e4cdc991.jpg

I'm posting this from my cell if it breaks the tables I'm sorry.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's definitely orthopteran. The two protusions (cerci) coming out both side of the rear end tell me it's just a cricket of sorts, while the central long one (ovipositor) tell me it's female.

Repost it in this thread and someone will identify it for you surely!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 6, 2010

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

It's definitely orthopteran. The two protusions (cerci) coming out both side of the rear end tell me it's just a cricket of sorts, while the central long one (ovipositor) tell me it's female.

Repost it in this thread and someone will identify it for you surely!

Oh thank God. We have oodles of crickets guess I've just never seen a chick cricket. Thanks for the quick reply!

One more question! How can I get rid of them. I'd prefer a cat safe method. They just kinda creep me out.

Dandy Cat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 6, 2010

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
What's the name of the french dish where they take a small bird, poke out it's eyes and feed it constantly and then drown it in scotch? You're supposed to eat it with a cloth over your face to hide the sin.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

King Carnivore posted:

What's the name of the french dish where they take a small bird, poke out it's eyes and feed it constantly and then drown it in scotch? You're supposed to eat it with a cloth over your face to hide the sin.

You're probably thinking of the Ortolan Bunting.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
I'm looking into getting a smaller-sized HDTV (somewhere around 32 inches) for my room, mainly for use with an Xbox 360, but I may look into getting a cable box in my room as well.

I was wondering, what's the difference between LCD and plasma? Which would be better to buy? And what do the HD numbers and letters mean? (for example, 720p and 1080i)

Thanks. :)

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Purple Rain Man posted:

I'm looking into getting a smaller-sized HDTV (somewhere around 32 inches) for my room, mainly for use with an Xbox 360, but I may look into getting a cable box in my room as well.

I was wondering, what's the difference between LCD and plasma? Which would be better to buy? And what do the HD numbers and letters mean? (for example, 720p and 1080i)

Thanks. :)

You want to be in the HDTV Megathread in A/V Arena.

Basically:
Numbers = number of horizontal lines of the native resolution: 480, 720, 1080.
The more you have the higher the resolution and therefore sharper images. Most Xbox games are produced with 720 in mind - look at your game cases to find this out.

Letter = the way of displaying those lines: i = interlaced, p = progressive
Interlaced means half the horizontal lines of the image are displayed followed by the other half and the speed at which they do this makes up one image when viewed by the human eye. I believe Interlaced has been the American standard since forever. PAL systems have always used progressive signals which refresh the frame line by line but always show a full frame.

1080p is probably going to be sold to you as the full-HD solution as it gives you the maximum resolution and the better signal output method.

A lot of TVs that are 720p can output in 1080i, so take that as you will.

LCD and Plasma are the technologies behind the screen display. Plasma allows more natural blacks (higher contrast ratio) and typically fade faster than LCDs (we're talking ~6-8 years full time use compared to ~10-12 though). Plasma doesn't refresh as quickly as LCD though, so if you watch a lot of sport, you may end up seeing ghosting of players (haven't seen a plasma in a few years, so I don't know if this is still much of an issue). Plasmas use more energy and get a lot hotter than LCDs.

Pick LCD and you'll be happy.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

gwar3k1 posted:

:words:

Thank you very much! I'll go check out that megathread. :)

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Tell me about getting pulled over.

I have been driving by myself since I was 14, and I am 27 now. Got pulled over for the first time ever.

So Friday night around 9 PM I got pulled over for going through an intersection with a green right turn arrow. The officer said I needed to come to a complete stop before turning right, and I said I didn't because there was a separate green turn arrow, and it was green. He said he could see over the top of my car that it was red. He questioned me for about five minutes, gave me a sobriety test, and then went back to his car. He said he "checked his video" and that the light was "barely green", and that he wasn't going to issue me a ticket for it. He acted like he was doing me such a huge favor... I would hope he wouldn't write me a ticket for going through a green light.

1. Did he have a legal reason to pull me over, or did he just see five people in a car on a Friday night and want to check us out?

2. How much questioning do I have to endure? I remained respectful and answered his questions, but he asked where specifically I came from, what I ate, what I drank, where I was headed, who was in the car with me (wife, brother in law, brother in law's girlfriend, and sister in law), how long we spent at the restaurant, and stuff like that.

3. On what grounds can he issue a sobriety test? I was coming from a steakhouse, told him I hadn't had anything to drink other than Diet Coke. It isn't like I was coming from a bar. It was embarrassing to see people slow down and look as he makes me follow his pen all over without moving my head.

4. He didn't issue a ticket, and I don't remember his name. Should I bother complaining about this situation?

I just feel like I was being bullied for no reason. He didn't appear to be much older than I was, and he was treating me like I was some kind of teenager up to no good. I have a nice car, was dressed up since we were out to dinner, and feel like I went out of my way to appease him. I don't want to be tased or anything, but should I have stood up for myself some more?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sieg posted:

1. Did he have a legal reason to pull me over, or did he just see five people in a car on a Friday night and want to check us out?
Bingo. You got drunk checked and he sounds like he was a little butthurt to find out you were sober. Whether it was a legal stop? Hard to say, probably wouldn't have stood under scrutiny from a good lawyer unless you were actually drunk.

Sieg posted:

2. How much questioning do I have to endure? I remained respectful and answered his questions, but he asked where specifically I came from, what I ate, what I drank, where I was headed, who was in the car with me (wife, brother in law, brother in law's girlfriend, and sister in law), how long we spent at the restaurant, and stuff like that.
You did the right thing. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure but at some point after he told you (on video) that the light was green (which he already knew) you could probably have gotten away with a "Am I free to go officer?" Legally he can question you for a "reasonable" amount of time. What that means is up to a judge.

Sieg posted:

3. On what grounds can he issue a sobriety test?
Pretty much if you're stopped he can sobriety test you. If your state is like most refusal is an automatic suspension of your license.

Sieg posted:

4. He didn't issue a ticket, and I don't remember his name. Should I bother complaining about this situation?
Complain if you want, but he probably didn't do anything wrong other than being kind of a cock about the whole thing.

Sieg posted:

I have a nice car, was dressed up since we were out to dinner
He accosted me! A white male in a polo shirt driving a Lexus! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!

Sieg posted:

I don't want to be tased or anything, but should I have stood up for myself some more?
Meh, not really. The best revenge is putting on your smuggest smug face and telling him to have a good night.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
Is there a WhatPulse thread somewhere on SA? I see there is a group "SomethingAwfulGoons" on WP that is password-protected, but I can't seem to find a WP thread with the password anywhere. No, I do not have forums search.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Eyeball posted:

I have some action figures that I got from my brother when he was going through a simplification phase. I want to sell them on ebay or SA mart or something, but I have no idea what the gently caress they are. What would be the best subforum to ask in? I think they might be anime action figures, but it's hard to tell.

You could maybe try the BSS Action Figure Thread. Obviously, it's probably focused on comic book action figures, but they might have some information.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Sieg posted:

(from what you have said, and throughout my replies) No, and yes.

Sieg posted:

It's a touchy subject, but in your situation that you were not drinking/drunk and within the law as far as you know you most likely saved yourself a lot of grief by waiving your right to remain silent/lawyer. As to legally how much? Zero. You tell the officer you don't wish to answer question without a lawyer and he should stop at that time. Of course a cop acting like this will go to endless lengths to show you who is boss if you exercise your rights but there you have it.

Sieg posted:

3. On what grounds can he issue a sobriety test? I was coming from a steakhouse, told him I hadn't had anything to drink other than Diet Coke. It isn't like I was coming from a bar. It was embarrassing to see people slow down and look as he makes me follow his pen all over without moving my head.

Like above pretty much any but unlike above in most places an FSB is completely voluntary no matter what boogyman charges or whatever the officer tells you about. Check your state/local statutes but I don't know of one that issues automatic suspension in your case for refusal.

Sieg posted:

Not really. It would probably just work against you for the most part.

Sieg posted:

I just feel like I was being bullied for no reason. He didn't appear to be much older than I was, and he was treating me like I was some kind of teenager up to no good. I have a nice car, was dressed up since we were out to dinner, and feel like I went out of my way to appease him. I don't want to be tased or anything, but should I have stood up for myself some more?

I won't hypothesize about the reasons you probably have already thought about yourself but: You were. Just be glad it didn't turn south by you "having an attitude".

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
In the television show "House," Dr. Lisa Cuddy treats patients in the free clinic even though she's the Dean of Medicine. Do Deans actually do this, or is this just in this show as a plot device so that House can pop in and interrupt her?

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Like above pretty much any but unlike above in most places an FSB is completely voluntary no matter what boogyman charges or whatever the officer tells you about. Check your state/local statutes but I don't know of one that issues automatic suspension in your case for refusal.

In several States (Alabama, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York that I can find for sure.) when you get your driver's license you're giving implied consent for a FSB. Most of those states can suspend your license for refusal or give you a fine. Of course, the officer needs some sort of reason to give one, although 'He looked drunk to me.' is probably good enough for a court.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm pretty sure I'm finally dealing with a deadbeat seller on eBay. The auction ended and I sent payment on August 22, and there was an estimated shipping time of 3-8 business days. He hasn't responded to any of my messages about this. The guy had 100% positive feedback as of then, but now negative feedback's coming in with people saying the same stuff.

This was only for a handheld vacuum cleaner that cost me $10, but I want my money back.

Looking for a guide on the subject, I found this: http://reviews.ebay.com/WIN-YOUR-CLAIM-AGAINST-DEAD-BEAT-SELLERS_W0QQugidZ10000000001863725

Guide posted:

* By using PayPal, you have an automatic dispute channel. Their are two different services and the one they advertise has a fee that is fairly high and unless your buying $100+ items, it exceeds the cost of the original price. The one I use has No Fee, and I file my version of the complaint and the seller has X days to respond. Often they do not respond and I automatically win. This results in a refund from their PayPal account or opens the door to my bank credit card dispute department.

Does anyone know what channel this guy's talking about? It sounds like a good idea here.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Thanks for the responses. I imagine he had a holiday weekend quota, and for some reason thought I would make an easy target or something.

Hope I don't seem naive, but I had no idea cops could just question you about what you ate for dinner, who was in your car, where specifically you had been, where specifically you were driving to, how long you spent at the steakhouse, and things that hardly seem relevant to a) if I ran a red light or b) if I was drunk. It felt overly invasive considering the circumstance. It was 9 PM, not 3 AM. Seems to me that when he asked if I had anything to drink, and I answered "only Diet Coke" that would have settled that whole line of questioning.

I also thought they would have to have a valid reason for a sobriety test like smelling it on my breath, my speech being slurred, erratic driving, or something like that. I know I have deserved a ticket before and there just wasn't anyone around to catch me, but I have never been behind the wheel of a car while drunk.

I guess if I had been a dick about his questions and his FSB he could have issued the ticket anyway (even though he was wrong) and then I would have been forced to deal with him in court.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He accosted me! A white male in a polo shirt driving a Lexus! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!

This made me laugh a lot, because that is exactly the indignation I felt. Except I have a Mazda, and I was wearing a blue polo.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Sieg posted:

Hope I don't seem naive, but I had no idea cops could just question you about what you ate for dinner, who was in your car, where specifically you had been, where specifically you were driving to, how long you spent at the steakhouse, and things that hardly seem relevant to a) if I ran a red light or b) if I was drunk. It felt overly invasive considering the circumstance. It was 9 PM, not 3 AM. Seems to me that when he asked if I had anything to drink, and I answered "only Diet Coke" that would have settled that whole line of questioning.

I'd have to assume that the other questions are him tryign to find out if you're telling the truth about only drinking Diet Coke. He's looking for slurring, not focusing, confusion or other things that would be a sign that you've been drinking. He needs to keep you talking for a few minutes to figure that out, and couldn't care less about your answers.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

JasonV posted:

I'd have to assume that the other questions are him tryign to find out if you're telling the truth about only drinking Diet Coke. He's looking for slurring, not focusing, confusion or other things that would be a sign that you've been drinking. He needs to keep you talking for a few minutes to figure that out, and couldn't care less about your answers.

Then I wish he would have said "Hey, it is a holiday weekend, you have a carload of people, just want to make sure you are being safe. Would you mind if I gave you a field sobriety test?" Would have saved me five minutes of my life, and gotten him back on the road to track down someone who had actually had too much to drink. I grew up in a college town. I have been through many sobriety checkpoints, and have never been questioned to this degree.

What sign could he have possibly have discovered that made him do the FSB after the five minutes of questioning? I answered every question honestly, quickly, and didn't show any of the signs you mentioned.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sieg posted:

What sign could he have possibly have discovered that made him do the FSB after the five minutes of questioning? I answered every question honestly, quickly, and didn't show any of the signs you mentioned.

Your face, he didn't like it.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

baquerd posted:

Your face, he didn't like it.

Thank you for that insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking for the name for a type of music.

It's kind of like a saloon/burlesque/silent movie happy piano sounding type of music.

It sounds kind of like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ

Anyone know what I should be googling?