Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm looking for the name for a type of music.

It's kind of like a saloon/burlesque/silent movie happy piano sounding type of music.

It sounds kind of like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ

Anyone know what I should be googling?

Ragtime or Dixieland jazz. Look into Scott Joplin and similar artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcznaE2BDz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWsKGhPi5I

Binowru fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm looking for the name for a type of music.

It's kind of like a saloon/burlesque/silent movie happy piano sounding type of music.

It sounds kind of like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ

Anyone know what I should be googling?

Parlour Music. Adding 1930's to your search term isn't going to hurt.

Where can I get a brown suit with blue pinstripes, like David Tennant's Doctor in the UK? It's for a Halloween costume and so far the only reasonably priced one is discontinued. I've seen the two replica ones for $200 and $500+ dollars, but don't want to spend that much on an import.

It doesn't have to be a replica, so long as its close enough. Any ideas?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gwar3k1 posted:

Parlour Music. Adding 1930's to your search term isn't going to hurt.

Where can I get a brown suit with blue pinstripes, like David Tennant's Doctor in the UK? It's for a Halloween costume and so far the only reasonably priced one is discontinued. I've seen the two replica ones for $200 and $500+ dollars, but don't want to spend that much on an import.

It doesn't have to be a replica, so long as its close enough. Any ideas?

Call up a tailor? I'm sure any given tailor will have that style of fabric and if they don't they'll certainly be able to get some to make a suit by Halloween.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Call up a tailor? I'm sure any given tailor will have that style of fabric and if they don't they'll certainly be able to get some to make a suit by Halloween.

Yes I am sure a tailored suit will cost much less than $200.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

stubblyhead posted:

Yes I am sure a tailored suit will cost much less than $200.

Tailored suit doesn't have to mean a nice suit. I went to a local tailor one year to get a gaudy purple Joker from Batman type suit for Halloween and he whipped one up for me for about $40.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

JasonV posted:

In several States (Alabama, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York that I can find for sure.) when you get your driver's license you're giving implied consent for a FSB. Most of those states can suspend your license for refusal or give you a fine. Of course, the officer needs some sort of reason to give one, although 'He looked drunk to me.' is probably good enough for a court.

I don't want to turn this into a huge derail, but I think you are confusing a Field Sobriety Test with a Blood Alcohol Content test. I did a cursory search on a couple of those states and saw nothing to imply a person is giving implied consent for a (entirely subjective) FSB with the penalty of administrative suspension for refusal.

I say this because even if you have only had 1 beer it does you no good 99.99% of of the time to volunteer for an FSB, most of the time the officer has already made the arrest decision and is just gathering up evidence to use against you, and in some states "failing" the FSB can be used as proof of your "impairment" for a DWI charge even though you are under the limit.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

fishmech posted:

Tailored suit doesn't have to mean a nice suit. I went to a local tailor one year to get a gaudy purple Joker from Batman type suit for Halloween and he whipped one up for me for about $40.

I'll give it a go but I doubt I'd get anything as cheap as that!

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
My wife and I have been wracking our brains about a TV show we used to watch. From what we can remember, it was a reality TV show that probably aired around the 1990s/2000. It was on one of two channels we got here at the same time, so we are thinking ABC or CBS. It followed 3 couples who were given a house that they had to completely redecorate. They had to makeover one room a week and it had to be the same for all of them (e.g. one week they all had to do the dining room). There was a young newlywed couple who bought a puppy and everyone got annoyed because people thought they were just doing it for votes.

I know that is not much to go on, but this lack of information is probably why we can't find anything in google. If anyone can help, that would be great. Thanks.

cassis
Oct 18, 2008

Yuncemil posted:

My wife and I have been wracking our brains about a TV show we used to watch. From what we can remember, it was a reality TV show that probably aired around the 1990s/2000. It was on one of two channels we got here at the same time, so we are thinking ABC or CBS. It followed 3 couples who were given a house that they had to completely redecorate. They had to makeover one room a week and it had to be the same for all of them (e.g. one week they all had to do the dining room). There was a young newlywed couple who bought a puppy and everyone got annoyed because people thought they were just doing it for votes.

I know that is not much to go on, but this lack of information is probably why we can't find anything in google. If anyone can help, that would be great. Thanks.

Was it The Block? I watched both the Aussie & US versions on HGTV in Canada, but damned if I can't find a thing about the US version on the google.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The other day I was outside on my back porch, and noticed a large-ish ant going around and around in a circle about an inch in diameter. Other than the world's smallest donut, what was he doing?

Edit: circle was about an inch, ant was maybe 4-5mm long.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Does anyone post from a blackberry smartphone? I try to make a post but when I press 'post' I get an error message saying my post is 0 characters long and to stop spamming.

Edit: apparently sometimes it will let me anyway. Fancy that.

quote:

I'm looking into getting a smaller-sized HDTV (somewhere around 32 inches) for my room, mainly for use with an Xbox 360, but I may look into getting a cable box in my room as well.

I was wondering, what's the difference between LCD and plasma? Which would be better to buy? And what do the HD numbers and letters mean? (for example, 720p and 1080i)

Thanks.

I'm not an expert in this area but I can say that if you get a plasma it'll heat up your room better than an oven with the front open.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 7, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drimble Wedge posted:

The other day I was outside on my back porch, and noticed a large-ish ant going around and around in a circle about an inch in diameter. Other than the world's smallest donut, what was he doing?

Maybe he was circling the border of an invisible splatter of something interesting that dried there. Ants like to follow scent trails.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Recently I have been needing to give clients high res versions of full sets of photos and I am tired of driving a DVD to them, what is the best online option for storing full sets of photos that can be downloaded right from the site?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to get a hole drilled toward the bottom of a 22oz beer bottle that I'd like to use as an incense burner. What type of store should I look at to get this done?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

Maybe one of his legs was shorter than the other :rimshot:

Bojanglesworth posted:

Recently I have been needing to give clients high res versions of full sets of photos and I am tired of driving a DVD to them, what is the best online option for storing full sets of photos that can be downloaded right from the site?

Flickr Pro Account?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

BorderPatrol posted:

Flickr Pro Account?

High Res. Flickr sucks. I need to put a 15mb full size photo up for a client to download, times about two hundred per shoot.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking to get a hole drilled toward the bottom of a 22oz beer bottle that I'd like to use as an incense burner. What type of store should I look at to get this done?

Do you not own a drill? If not, find a friend with one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

High Res. Flickr sucks. I need to put a 15mb full size photo up for a client to download, times about two hundred per shoot.

Pro account has a 20mb file size limit.

Sorry, I don't know of any other places.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Try something like SkyDrive. File storage and sharing service, 25 GB of space (50 MB per file).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

What's a good (free) screen capture/keylogging program/wordprocessor that can play back keyboard input in real/.5x/2x/etc. time?

Something like Fuzzmail, but ideally with formatting and editing features and ability to run locally.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

nm

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Loopyface posted:

Do you not own a drill? If not, find a friend with one.

I don't, and I heard glass drilling requires diamond tipped drills and such. Is this something I can do with a hand drill/diamond tip bit?
edit: for less than it would cost to buy a drill/bit/equipment to keep it stable during drilling.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 8, 2010

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there a word or technical term for eating a large meal, knowing you're full, but feeling hungrier then when you started eating? I've got it pretty bad right now, like I know I'm full but it feels like I'm starving.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

change my name posted:

Is there a word or technical term for eating a large meal, knowing you're full, but feeling hungrier then when you started eating? I've got it pretty bad right now, like I know I'm full but it feels like I'm starving.

I dunno a technical term for it, but you probably want to take a look at your carb intake. It's usually the culprit in situations like that.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Anyone know how the law surrounding MP3s works in the United States? I know that the format is proprietary, but that it's permissible to encode things in MP3 format for personal use. When looking up licencing costs, it appears that you can buy a license to A) Have your software encode/decode MP3s, B) Stream MP3s, or C) Include MP3s in a game. I want to encode some personally recorded WAVs as MP3s using the LAME codec, and offer them for download from a for-profit business website. I am not making money off of the MP3s themselves; however, I think they add value to a service that I provide, which I am making money off of.

As far as I can tell, the actual patent surrounds the encoding and decoding of the MP3s - if I'm not doing that, I'm in the clear. And my business model certainly doesn't revolve around the encoding/decoding process; I'd do that once, and stick the files up for download. I'm not sure if I can use the LAME codec, though. Anyone have any idea or experience in this matter? I could put my files up in a WAV codec; however, my files end up about 15-20x larger, and this costs me both in bandwidth and degraded user experience.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't, and I heard glass drilling requires diamond tipped drills and such. Is this something I can do with a hand drill/diamond tip bit?
edit: for less than it would cost to buy a drill/bit/equipment to keep it stable during drilling.

Drilling glass causes uneven heating which will cause the glass to fracture. Also, you really don't want to breathe in glass dust. One easy solution is to get some modeling clay or silly putty and make a donut shaped ring around the place you plan to drill, then fill the center of the donut with water. The water will capture all the dust and keep the glass cool.

An easier solution is to take the bottle to NAPA or some other machine shop with a water cooled drill and offer them $5 to do it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is the official MSN Windows Live Messenger client still a hunk of poo poo?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Is there a word for falsely attributing something to someone famouser than its actual author in order for it to seem more important than it actually is. Examples would be the "wear sunscreen" monologue thing falsely attributed to Kurt Vonnegut in the nineties, the "11 rules of life" attributed to Bill Gates, and all kinds of quotes attributed to either Oscar Wilde or Benjamin Franklin.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
here is something that i think is so simple, but the math escapes me.

given 2 choices, which is the better one.

1) doing something that has a 1% chance to win 5 times

or

2) doing something that has a 5% chance to win ONE time

For the 5x above, each chance is 'reset', so its not like you are drawing tickets and lowering the total number each time. Each pull is exactly a 1% chance.

maths tells me they should be equal, but doesn't the fact you are doing one multiple times factor in?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roundboy posted:

or

For the 5x above, each chance is 'reset', so its not like you are drawing tickets and lowering the total number each time. Each pull is exactly a 1% chance.

maths tells me they should be equal, but doesn't the fact you are doing one multiple times factor in?

Yes, multiple trials affects the outcome here and the probability of winning the 1% one is actually lower than the 5% one: 4.9009951 by applying the appropriate binomial distribution equations. However, you have a ~0.098% chance of winning more than once.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Eyeball posted:

Is there a word for falsely attributing something to someone famouser than its actual author in order for it to seem more important than it actually is. Examples would be the "wear sunscreen" monologue thing falsely attributed to Kurt Vonnegut in the nineties, the "11 rules of life" attributed to Bill Gates, and all kinds of quotes attributed to either Oscar Wilde or Benjamin Franklin.

"misattribute" unless there's some reason you're avoiding it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I saw a sport on TV yesterday that I haven't seen before. It was somewhat like lacrosse, but instead of a net, the end of the stick had a sort of paddle that was a little canted. Also, you could pick the ball up and carry it for a while. Anyone know what this is?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

or

I haven't thought about probability in a good ten years, so this is probably completely wrong, but here goes.

It depends a little bit on what happens if you win in the first scenario. Are you allowed to continue trying for the remaining times? If not, then the second situation is preferable. You have a straight 5% chance of winning. In the first scenario, it's easier to calculate your chances of losing five times and subtract from one, which will give you the chance of winning at least once. That works out to (1-.99^5), or about 4.9%.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the prize is $1000 and there is no entry fee. Your expected value (EV) in scenario two is 1000*.05, or $50. In scenario one, the EV is (1000*.01*5), which yields the same value, so if you are allowed to keep playing after a win, then in the long run there is no advantage either way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

stubblyhead posted:

Let's say for the sake of argument that the prize is $1000 and there is no entry fee. Your expected value (EV) in scenario two is 1000*.05, or $50. In scenario one, the EV is (1000*.01*5), which yields the same value, so if you are allowed to keep playing after a win, then in the long run there is no advantage either way.

Right, the approximately 1/5000 occurrence of a double win within a series of 5 (if you want to segment it like that) balances the lower odds of winning in any particular group of 5. It effectively "steals" the unlucky group of 5's potential win.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

hooah posted:

I saw a sport on TV yesterday that I haven't seen before. It was somewhat like lacrosse, but instead of a net, the end of the stick had a sort of paddle that was a little canted. Also, you could pick the ball up and carry it for a while. Anyone know what this is?

Sounds like hurling.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
each 1% shot is its own unique event. There is no information passed to subsequent chances.

i see where the 4.9% overall is coming from, but doesn't that assume each outcome is gathered with another? is not 1-.99^1,2...5 its simply 1 each time.

it might be me wrongly assuming they *should* be tied together. so, simply put:

HAT 1
1 win, 99 no win balls

HAT 2
5 win, 95 no win balls

you can pull form hat 1 5 times(and put the non-wins back in) or pull from hat 2 once. What do you choose to do ?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roundboy posted:

you can pull form hat 1 5 times(and put the non-wins back in) or pull from hat 2 once. What do you choose to do ?

Scroll up, this is closed.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

A Violence Gang posted:

"misattribute" unless there's some reason you're avoiding it.

I'm wondering if there's a specific term for intentional misattribution, I guess.

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?

cassis posted:

Was it The Block? I watched both the Aussie & US versions on HGTV in Canada, but damned if I can't find a thing about the US version on the google.

Hmm... That doesn't sound like the one we watched. It seems like it could have been pretty obscure. I don't think it ran for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Eyeball posted:

I'm wondering if there's a specific term for intentional misattribution, I guess.

I might read "falsely attributed" with more of a connotation that it was intentional or at least negligent than "misattributed" but that's just a fuzzy sense and I wouldn't count on anyone else to read it the same way. If you want to convey that it was intentional, I would just modify "misattributed" with a word like "intentionally", "knowingly" or "deliberately".