Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assumed that the Android Auto system needs consistent data connections, not just power. That said, I was able to mount the phone as a drive on my PC and copy files off of it, which verifies that the data connection on the phone is fine. So now I dunno what's going on. Maybe it is the car. Which would suck, because the car's a 2022 model and definitely shouldn't be breaking yet.

test the car with a friend or or family member's known-good phone too

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I mostly want it for being able to get the navigation map on the car's display, so I can see what my next turn is and how many intersections away it is. The sound-only navigation works but sometimes leads to me getting blindsided by a turn, or taking the wrong path out of a five-way intersection or something.

for this though you could just get a phone mount and use the regular phone screen for your navigation
they make ones that suction cup to your windshield or clip on to the air vents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dumb question: I heard somewhere that caffeine helps with a runny nose because it makes blood vessels and mucous membranes constrict. It seems to do this for me.

I had a bit of a search now, but I can't actually find anything that corroborates that. Is it just placebo?

If not, do people build up a tolerance to that effect, the same way they build up tolerance to the wakefulness effects?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

Dumb question: I heard somewhere that caffeine helps with a runny nose because it makes blood vessels and mucous membranes constrict. It seems to do this for me.

I had a bit of a search now, but I can't actually find anything that corroborates that. Is it just placebo?

If not, do people build up a tolerance to that effect, the same way they build up tolerance to the wakefulness effects?

caffeine is a well-known vasoconstrictor. For example, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3003984/. It can even have an effect on anaphylactic shock (in rats).

The second question is a bit more complicated. I'm posting this so someone else with more knowledge can school me a bit since I'm trying to get better at reading studies. From the first link above, I think the vasoconstriction mechanism is caused by

quote:

In vascular smooth muscle cells its effect is predominantly a competitive inhibition of phosphodiesterase, producing an accumulation of cAMP and vasodilation. In addition, it blocks the adenosine receptors present in the vascular tissue to produce vasoconstriction.

people with asthma do apparently develop a tolerance to the same compounds that interact with vasodilation from caffeine, so it sounds like a solid maybe.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I agree completely, and I really wish phone OSes didn't depend so much on the hardware manufacturer. In the PC world, you can keep an old computer up to date long after its manufacturer has forgotten it exists, and I hope phones someday get there too.

Fairphone is making pretty good progress on this.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

tuyop posted:

caffeine is a well-known vasoconstrictor. For example, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3003984/. It can even have an effect on anaphylactic shock (in rats).

The second question is a bit more complicated. I'm posting this so someone else with more knowledge can school me a bit since I'm trying to get better at reading studies. From the first link above, I think the vasoconstriction mechanism is caused by

people with asthma do apparently develop a tolerance to the same compounds that interact with vasodilation from caffeine, so it sounds like a solid maybe.

Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any ideas where in the US I would be able to find a small number of paper grocery bags? Stores around here don't seem to have them as an option when checking out, and I don't need 50, which is the smallest number I can find to buy from online.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hooah posted:

Any ideas where in the US I would be able to find a small number of paper grocery bags? Stores around here don't seem to have them as an option when checking out, and I don't need 50, which is the smallest number I can find to buy from online.

Is there an Aldi grocery store anywhere near you? They have paper bags at the checkouts for a few cents each.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
When you see lead singers of bands wearing leather jackets and things of that nature on stage, are they just suffering through the heat for style or is it actually cooler up there somehow? Sometimes they're super sweaty but not always.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
it's hot as gently caress on stage, they got AC and maybe fans and airflow or whatever but the lights are super hot and they're usually just dealing with it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a perfume/cologne/fragrance thread?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there a perfume/cologne/fragrance thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387386&pagenumber=150&perpage=40

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

greazeball posted:

Can someone summarize them for me? I cannot get their site to work at all, which doesn’t seem to be a good sign.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

CrazySalamander posted:

Can someone summarize them for me? I cannot get their site to work at all, which doesn’t seem to be a good sign.

User replaceable parts for your phone and a long support life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For the life of me I can't remember what the name of those hinges that automatically like, slow down right before they close are called. I want to get some small ones so I can lay my Detolf glass cabinets on their sides and still be able to open the glass doors without the possibility of accidentally letting go of the door and it slamming down and possibly breaking the glass. Anyone know?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Captain Invictus posted:

For the life of me I can't remember what the name of those hinges that automatically like, slow down right before they close are called. I want to get some small ones so I can lay my Detolf glass cabinets on their sides and still be able to open the glass doors without the possibility of accidentally letting go of the door and it slamming down and possibly breaking the glass. Anyone know?
"Soft close" is what I see for hinges and toilet seats and whatever

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
why do I keep seeing wrist braces and compression gloves with copper in them? what does the copper do. is wrapping myself in a metal actually beneficial or is this an offshoot of crystal healing

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

YggiDee posted:

why do I keep seeing wrist braces and compression gloves with copper in them? what does the copper do. is wrapping myself in a metal actually beneficial or is this an offshoot of crystal healing

It doesn't do anything related to healing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

greazeball posted:

If only its performance and battery life were better than a Samsung Galaxy from 10 years ago...

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Copper bracelets for arthritis is a woo thing so it's probably that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I believe that the theory is something something magnets woo

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Don't know if there's a better thread for this - it's kind of AITA-adjacent but pretty low stakes. If there's a better place on the forums for this kind of thing please let me know.

So, question: I've been renting a harp for my daughter for the past 4 or 5 years. I've been paying the owner £40 a month. The time has come to return the harp. When we initially collected it we met the owner about half an hour away from our house, near where she was visiting a relative. I assume she lived somewhere roughly in the area. In the interim she has moved somewhere around 2.5 hour's drive away. She told me I can drop the harp at another relative about an hour's drive away, or she can arrange a courier for £90. I don't really have time to drop the harp off; the journey involves taking the M25, with its terrible traffic, so could actually be quite a bit longer than the 2 hours there and back, and I have work in the week and parental commitments at weekends. So it's looking like the courier, only... is it right to charge me the full amount for it? She's moved further away and not really presented me with any realistic option to drop it in person, plus it's her harp. So, just curious what people think. Like I say it's pretty low stakes; I'm just curious what most think is right here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sounds like you have a free harp until she sorts the logistics out for you.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Do you reckon that she's taking the piss a bit then?

Tempted to go back and say I'd rather meet her when she's in the area as per last time as her proposed drop-off places are too far away, or that alternatively I'd be willing to go halves on the courier, but that I don't understand why I should foot the full cost for that given she is not in a position to meet somewhere reasonable due to moving away, and I'm not aware of any established etiquette which says I should pay the full cost/bear full the inconvenience of returning her harp.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had a Samsung S20 and I used Smart Switch to back it up a few days ago. I bought a new S24 yesterday. I've now goofed up and somehow lost all my Whatsapp messages. I was regularly backing Whatsapp up to my Google Drive. Unfortunately, I initiated a backup yesterday on the new phone (minus my old messages) and now that backup seems to be the main one. Is there a way to remove this backup and revert to an older one on Google Drive?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Tempted to go back and say I'd rather meet her when she's in the area as per last time as her proposed drop-off places are too far away, or that alternatively I'd be willing to go halves on the courier, but that I don't understand why I should foot the full cost for that given she is not in a position to meet somewhere reasonable due to moving away, and I'm not aware of any established etiquette which says I should pay the full cost/bear full the inconvenience of returning her harp.

Going halves on the courier seems reasonable to me, trying to keep her harp like the other poster said seems bad. You got an instrument at a pretty cheap rate for a while and in that time she moved but didn't just ask for the harp back, which she could've. Half of the courier is basically just one extra month's rental.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes more seriously I wouldn't actually try and keep the harp, but it certainly doesn't seem fair that she can just demand you deliver it at the cost of more than two extra months' rental. The going halves is much more reasonable.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah I thought suggesting halving the courier cost was reasonable, and asking me to pay it all was unreasonable of her, but wanted a sanity check first! Naturally I wouldn't just keep the harp - it's hers, not mine, even though I probably could have bought a similar one for what it cost to rent given how long we had it. It's fairly useless to us now anyway as my daughter has progressed to a pedal harp (which we did buy, albeit used).

Thanks for the input.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Splitting the courier cost is the most friendly thing you can offer. It's not unreasonable to either do that or say you want to wait until she's in the area. But I have some other thoughts.

And I know what the answer is going to be, but what does the written agreement between the two of you say about how the harp is to be returned? What does the rental agreement say about you keeping it another month (ie it needs to be returned by the end of May, you can't drop it off until June.) Are you charged an extra month's fee?

Since I'm pretty sure you didn't sign any kind of paperwork, and there's no written agreement between the two parties, this was likely a social, friendly, handshake agreement kind of thing, and would be kind of messy and expensive to bring to court for either of you. I do know people who would not only pout and stamp their feet at the very gall of asking for half the shipping cost, but would also try and charge a rental fee for every month that the harp was not returned past the promised date. It comes down to if you think this person is the kind who would try and pull a stunt like that, and if you think it's worth ₤90 to avoid that.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

CzarChasm posted:

Splitting the courier cost is the most friendly thing you can offer. It's not unreasonable to either do that or say you want to wait until she's in the area. But I have some other thoughts.

And I know what the answer is going to be, but what does the written agreement between the two of you say about how the harp is to be returned? What does the rental agreement say about you keeping it another month (ie it needs to be returned by the end of May, you can't drop it off until June.) Are you charged an extra month's fee?

Since I'm pretty sure you didn't sign any kind of paperwork, and there's no written agreement between the two parties, this was likely a social, friendly, handshake agreement kind of thing, and would be kind of messy and expensive to bring to court for either of you. I do know people who would not only pout and stamp their feet at the very gall of asking for half the shipping cost, but would also try and charge a rental fee for every month that the harp was not returned past the promised date. It comes down to if you think this person is the kind who would try and pull a stunt like that, and if you think it's worth ₤90 to avoid that.

I did sign something, though I had forgotten about it until your post (thank you); I just checked and the Ts and Cs do not mention anything about the logistics of returning it, other than it has to be in acceptable condition. Also I am reminded that I paid a £100 deposit which I'll get back when she receives the harp, which makes it a bit more awkward.

edit: Ah poo poo, her cover email mentions me being responsible for returning it to her in Woking (the hour's drive place where her relative lives). Not a signed contract or anything but neither did I contest it. Think I'll just pay the full courier cost.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 29, 2024

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I did sign something, though I had forgotten about it until your post (thank you); I just checked and the Ts and Cs do not mention anything about the logistics of returning it, other than it has to be in acceptable condition. Also I am reminded that I paid a £100 deposit which I'll get back when she receives the harp, which makes it a bit more awkward.

edit: Ah poo poo, her cover email mentions me being responsible for returning it to her in Woking (the hour's drive place where her relative lives). Not a signed contract or anything but neither did I contest it. Think I'll just pay the full courier cost.

Yeah, unfortunately, with some kind of signed agreement, and at least an uncontested email bringing up the return conditions, I think you might just be out the full courier fee.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, I've no real issues with that, given the email. Before I found and re-read it I wasn't sure what the fair thing would be, but given the email's quite clear, I've no intention of arguing it at all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wait it's just out in Woking? Can't you take the train? I know a harp isn't small but you're only on a smaller one, right?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Let's all stop harping on them, they found their solution.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, stop stringing it along.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Paladinus posted:

If only its performance and battery life were better than a Samsung Galaxy from 10 years ago...

:rolleyes:

Made-up hyperbole aside, Fairphones were never meant to compete with flagship phones and yeah, the people who want the absolute latest and greatest phone aren't going to be interested in them. There are cheaper phones with better specs but these are not built to last and will need replacing after a couple of years. I've had a Fairphone 4 for 2 years now and it's been just fine. My only real complaint was that the camera software wasn't as quick and didn't do as much of that cool instant post-processing stuff as my old Galaxy. But they did a major update of the camera software recently (a little bit after they launched the Fairphone 5) and it's a decent camera now.

The longevity of the devices and the accountability in the supply chain are the main selling points and it's a solid mid-tier phone that can do whatever somebody needs a phone to do. They also sell some Fairphones pre-installed with e/os (and offer support for converting your Android device) for people who want to run Android without any Google snooping. I'm going to try and hang on for the Fairphone 6 or 7 before I get a new one. If anything goes wrong with the one I've got, I can just pop off the back and easily replace the screen ($80), camera ($60), usb port ($20), speaker ($35) or battery ($30) to get me there.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CrazySalamander posted:

Yeah, stop stringing it along.

I think the OP of this question is a lyre. :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Serviceability and longevity is cool but the thing costs $800 usd which is still a lot more than anyone needs to pay for a smartphone unless you're a "tech enthusiast" who buys things more for their flagshippiness (or fashionableness) than their practicality. And those people are already not interested in it because it's not fashionable or flagshippy enough.
If I just want a black rectangle to run apps and browse the internet I could get a refurbished pixel 6a for like $170 and then buy a whole new phone whenever anything breaks (or when it hits end of life for security updates in 2027), and it would still be half the price.

It seems to me that at that price point the cost-savings from being able to repair your own phone are nonexistent so the main benefit is the ecological appeal of producing less consumer electronics waste. Which yeah is a valid thing to appeal to!

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 30, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

where does the pejorative "dogwater" come from? don't dogs drink tapwater like the rest of us?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's a minced oath for "dogshit" when people don't wanna say poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

where does the pejorative "dogwater" come from? don't dogs drink tapwater like the rest of us?

dogwater: Compound of dog +‎ water. According to Know Your Meme, the video game sense was popularized by Fortnite streamer Zachology in December 2020 as a euphemism for dogshit (“rubbish, bad”).