Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anjow posted:

Say I've got a diver's bottle that is empty. I weight it and it's 10kg to the nearest mg. I then get it filled up to 300 bar with high pressure air and weight it again. Would it weigh more or the same?
A 3000 PSI, 80 cu foot tank weighs about 7 pounds more when it's full.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I can't find the legal questions thread--did it get moved somewhere else? I checked A/T and BFC.

edit: Whoops, googled and found it.

chachu fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 10, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have a bluetooth dongle plugged into my pc, I've only ever used and only ever thought to use it to transfer files between the pc and phone.

I found an old bluetooth earpiece in my truck I don't use anymore (I have bt deck now) could I pair this with the pc somehow and talk to people through the new google phone call/google voice integration in gmail? Or do earpieces only work with phones? is there such thing as "pairing" on a pc? or do pcs only xfer files with bt? (earpiece is charging up now)

VVV I'm trying that, using win 7 so a few things are different, I've got it paired up now but google phone thing still comes through my speakers, but vlc plays only through the earpiece. I dunno. I'll try again tomorrow. VVV

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 10, 2010

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I don't see any reason you couldn't.

edit: actually, this link seems to indicate you are very able to do so.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

Say I've got a diver's bottle that is empty. I weight it and it's 10kg to the nearest mg. I then get it filled up to 300 bar with high pressure air and weight it again. Would it weigh more or the same?

It would weigh more. Empty cylinders are much lighter than full ones.

e: and I should check the next page before replying...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Anjow posted:

You got the answer, but here's something to think about that will make the answer make sense:

Why do Helium balloons rise in the sky? Because the air (helium) in them is less dense than the air outside. An 'empty' scuba tank has normal air in it. When you fill it with high pressure air, then then the air inside the tank is much much denser than the air outside so it would sink if it were not for the floor. SO it is heavier.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
So I was watching a show on the Science channel narrated by Morgan Freeman. It blew my loving mind, but Mr. Freeman made it somehow feel like a gentle hug.

What is the specific name for the theory that the world loses resolution when it is not being directly observed, and is there a place or thread that discusses this in layman's baby talk terms?

Because this is seriously loving with me, guys. :psyduck:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. For instance; how then do remote cameras work? And what happens to animals? Are they observers or part of the observed?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

So I was watching a show on the Science channel narrated by Morgan Freeman. It blew my loving mind, but Mr. Freeman made it somehow feel like a gentle hug.

What is the specific name for the theory that the world loses resolution when it is not being directly observed, and is there a place or thread that discusses this in layman's baby talk terms?

Because this is seriously loving with me, guys. :psyduck:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. For instance; how then do remote cameras work? And what happens to animals? Are they observers or part of the observed?

Are you talking about the Observer Effect, or something more specific in quantum mechanics? As for what "counts" as an observer, as far as I can tell, that's been vastly simplified (and, in the process, anthropomorphized) from whatever the hell is going on physically. I think the actual interpretation is closer to that a particle is in superposition relative to another particle until the first particle has a measurable (and measured?) effect on the second. I am not a quantum physicist, though, and you'll probably get much better answers over in the Science, Academics, and Philosophy form.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Gravity Pike posted:

Are you talking about the Observer Effect, or something more specific in quantum mechanics? As for what "counts" as an observer, as far as I can tell, that's been vastly simplified (and, in the process, anthropomorphized) from whatever the hell is going on physically. I think the actual interpretation is closer to that a particle is in superposition relative to another particle until the first particle has a measurable (and measured?) effect on the second. I am not a quantum physicist, though, and you'll probably get much better answers over in the Science, Academics, and Philosophy form.

Thanks! But no, I'm familiar with that, Schrodingers cat and all - The segment of the show I'm thinking of posited that the real world could be like a computer. The Sims was used as an example, wherein when something is not being used it is not fully rendered. They think that the real world could be like that, where the matter at a very subatomic level doesn't fully fuse or 'render' until we look at it.

I'll pop over to SAP and see if there's anything there! Thanks for the tip!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's loving retarded. It's like somebody read about the Observer Effect and didn't understand it. It's like asking if a tree falls in the woods and no-one's around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, because the waves of sound are still flying out from the loving tree that's falling over.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Akuma posted:

That's loving retarded. It's like somebody read about the Observer Effect and didn't understand it. It's like asking if a tree falls in the woods and no-one's around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, because the waves of sound are still flying out from the loving tree that's falling over.

You are misunderstanding the depth of the quantum mechanical ideas.

It's not that the measurement effects things. It is that things are specifically not determined/unspecified until they are measured.

The world is undetermined until measured, as in just what Morgan Freeman said: unspecified until measured. Nothing can be said about something without measurement. (And then another different problem happens because measurement affects reality. But uncertainty is a whole 'nother can of worms.)

Read more about the double slit experiments. There is nothing that makes 'sense' about the double slit experiment. It just is, period. Things actually are undetermined. The particle goes through both slits and interferes with itself, which makes no sense.

But then again quantum effects are completely unrelated to the world of people size objects so we don't experience them.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

They think that the real world could be like that, where the matter at a very subatomic level doesn't fully fuse or 'render' until we look at it.

We as in humans? What if a fly looks at it? does it render then?

I can quit looking at the table behind me with no flies on it and then look back and see a fly on it sometimes so I'd say he saw it without me having to look, so a fly can render things by looking at them.

So how insignificant do you have to be for your look to not matter? What isn't looked at by at least something? If there's a mountain and within 10 miles no one is looking at it except a fly who's 10 miles away are there still trees on it? You couldn't see a tree from 10 miles away but they are part of the mountain as a whole.

It blew my loving mind, but Mr. Freeman made it somehow feel like a gentle hug.

morgan freeman can make anything sound good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwox_cAt04

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Note that in quantum mechanics, "observation" and "measurement" are satisfied by merely having inanimate atoms bump into whatever is in question. You don't need someone actually going out and trying to observe/measure to have the "observation" effects occur.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

Note that in quantum mechanics, "observation" and "measurement" are satisfied by merely having inanimate atoms bump into whatever is in question. You don't need someone actually going out and trying to observe/measure to have the "observation" effects occur.

Not quite correct. The two slit in a perfect example of needing an actual measurement. Prior to the measurement on the backscreen, the particle travels through both slits (which of course in nonsensical in the non quantum world).

The two slits do not measure (because they do not locate) however so they do not determine.

It does actually need an measuring observer to collapse the wave function.

A particle to particle interaction is a measurement because it determines location and momentum.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Not quite correct. The two slit in a perfect example of needing an actual measurement. Prior to the measurement on the backscreen, the particle travels through both slits (which of course in nonsensical in the non quantum world).

The two slits do not measure (because they do not locate) however so they do not determine.

It does actually need an measuring observer to collapse the wave function.

A particle to particle interaction is a measurement because it determines location and momentum.

I don't think you understand, the same stuff still happens if noone's around looking at it. It is essentially impossible for any even to go unobserved by quantum mechanics standards. If there's no human standing there, the atoms of the slit and back wall themselves are the "observer".

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Do questions about the very fundamental essence of the Universe, reality itself, and the theoretical laws that govern it belong in a "Stupid/Small Questions Megathread"?

Why do jeweler's (or watch) screwdrivers have that free spinning thing on their butt?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Very Strange Things posted:

Do questions about the very fundamental essence of the Universe, reality itself, and the theoretical laws that govern it belong in a "Stupid/Small Questions Megathread"?

Why do jeweler's (or watch) screwdrivers have that free spinning thing on their butt?

You have it backwards- you hold the butt steady while you spin the shaft to drive the screw. It makes it easier to exert a steady force in exactly the right direction while it rotates.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

You have it backwards- you hold the butt steady while you spin the shaft to drive the screw. It makes it easier to exert a steady force in exactly the right direction while it rotates.

I thought it was something I just was ... failing to grasp. (puts on sunglasses, yeah, etc.)

Q:
If I call an Irishman a Mick is that a good-natured racial slur or actually offensive? We're not good friends, just drinking buddies and he's engaged to a close friend of mine. He's not very sensitive or PC.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I thought it was something I just was ... failing to grasp. (puts on sunglasses, yeah, etc.)

Q:
If I call an Irishman a Mick is that a good-natured racial slur or actually offensive? We're not good friends, just drinking buddies and he's engaged to a close friend of mine. He's not very sensitive or PC.

You will never be able to give us enough information to tell you it's okay to call someone a racial slur. I'm not saying that close friends can't push boundries and have it be cool (friends call me a mic-spic because of an Irish/Mexican heritage), but without actually knowing you or he it's impossible to give you good advice. Let alone you never know who will overhear it.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Q:

Yeah, this falls into the category of "If you have to ask..."

cassis
Oct 18, 2008

Q:

As someone married to a bloody mick, I can tell you two things: If I call him that, he will laugh and call me a raping, pillaging Viking. If anyone else, including drinking buddies, would dare to call him that to his face, his Irish would be out in full force and the offender would wake up on the floor. I would err on the side of caution here.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If one is made to feel like they are less like a man, then they are emasculated. Is there a similar term for someone who has been belittled in such a way that they feel less like an adult and more like a child? A term like feeling belittled, but specific to age.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Anjow posted:

If one is made to feel like they are less like a man, then they are emasculated. Is there a similar term for someone who has been belittled in such a way that they feel less like an adult and more like a child? A term like feeling belittled, but specific to age.

Infantilized?

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
At the risk of sounding like an emo fag, I was wondering if anyone knows any good places to order clove cigarettes online from? I ordered 2 cases of Djarums from salecheapcigarettes.com and they shipped me 5 cartons of some other kind of clove. I am just kind of looking for a reliable place to order from.

Yes, I'm emo. Let's just get that out of the way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My new laptop has an Intel dual-core processor. I know what this means. However, each core is dual-threaded. What exactly does it mean for a processor to be multithreaded? I open Windows Task Manager and see four readings for processor usage. How does it compare to a true quad-core?

I've sort of always pictured it as the CPU equivalent of a RAID configuration of sorts. Is this accurate?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

My new laptop has an Intel dual-core processor. I know what this means. However, each core is dual-threaded. What exactly does it mean for a processor to be multithreaded? I open Windows Task Manager and see four readings for processor usage. How does it compare to a true quad-core?

I've sort of always pictured it as the CPU equivalent of a RAID configuration of sorts. Is this accurate?

There are two cores, which functionally means there are two CPUs. It's not quite the same (there are some differences in terms of how memory is accessed with a multi-core CPU, but it's pretty much the same).

Having multiple threads means that each core "pretends" to be two CPUs as far as the OS is concerned. CPUs have a pipeline, or a series of "steps" that any work goes through. As long as the pipeline is full of calculations to work on, everything's all good and you're using the CPU efficiently. If the pipeline isn't full of calculations for whatever reason, then you're not getting the most out of the CPU. Hence, multi-threading is a pseudo-bootleg way to try to fill the pipeline more - so long as the OS thinks it's really two CPUs, the OS will keep trying to cram stuff in and the pipeline will ideally stay more "full" than it would otherwise.

Note that for a single program that chews up the whole CPU (say, video encoding or 3D rendering), multithreading probably won't do much at all, and may even impact that performance slightly. This is where it definitely fails in comparison to a true quad-core. So long as the pipeline is full, multithreading isn't really gaining you much at all. For any sort of multi-tasking, though, it does a pretty solid job of squeezing efficiency out of your CPU.

There is such a thing as CPU "RAID" for lack of a better term - high-end servers have a system where each CPU does the same calculation and they're checked against each other to verify that everything was correct. If you're referring to striping (RAID 0), then it also isn't quite there - again, it's nowhere near the performance of additional cores.

TL;DR: you have two CPUs, and each CPU has a system that (for the most part) makes your CPU as efficient as it can be for multi-tasking.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dandy Cat posted:

At the risk of sounding like an emo fag, I was wondering if anyone knows any good places to order clove cigarettes online from? I ordered 2 cases of Djarums from salecheapcigarettes.com and they shipped me 5 cartons of some other kind of clove. I am just kind of looking for a reliable place to order from.

Yes, I'm emo. Let's just get that out of the way.
FYI:
As of September 22, 2009 the clove cigarette was no longer legal to sell or distribute in the US, and cigarettes purchased overseas are subject to seizure by U.S. Customs.

As I assume you're American, you should realize it's been illegal to get clove cigarettes for almost a year now. You need to start looking for clove cigars or clove mini-cigars.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Where can I get a miner's hard hat with a light on it, like the one found in My Bloody Valentine.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

haveblue posted:

Infantilized?

Excellent, this is just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

A while ago I was GISing MC Escher and found some work by a different artist, apparently also called Escher, poor guy. They were detailed pencil drawings, or maybe etchings, of old tomes on a shelf, and some stone ruins. Later I tried searching for this guy again and came up with nothing. Wikipedia doesn't know him either, maybe his name is spelled a little differently, I don't know.

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are questions about emulators automatically :filez:?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
What is your general opinion of the University of Tennessee?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Barometer posted:

Is there any way to figure out what the music playing on this site is?
http://web.archive.org/web/20011217000142/http://tsbolton.com/bertramslair/
I'm fairly certain it isn't from the game (Redneck Rampage, I played it years ago but I don't recall hearing this tune), and I don't see it credited anywhere.

I had to find an archived page of the site, as it is no more. I started out by writing to the old owner's (TSBolton) friend, Jon Hunt, at his Redneck Rampage site (Redneck Rampage home-made levels, etc.);
http://www.jonhunt.com/redneck/

Here's the link to the music file itself, if that helps at all:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051218020303/tsbolton.com/bertramslair/Banjo3.wav

I've got nothing else though, sorry. I did the obvious google search for "banjo3.wav" but none of the results were the same clip.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

Is there a place I can download that crappy explosion that is clipped into every episode of Aqua Teen Hungerforce? Or one like it?

uptown
May 16, 2009
Can someone tell me how this guy is trying to scam me?

I've posted an ad on Craigslist about a ring that I am trying to sell, and he emailed me about it, but stated that he is out of the country, buying the ring for his daughter (which immediately struck me as weird because it's an engagement ring...) and so he would like to PayPal me the funds. He hasn't asked me to ship the ring or anything yet, and my PayPal email address is the email he's been communicating with me to, so I just don't understand what he's trying to accomplish by saying he will send me money and not sending the money/not recieving a product???

I'll show you guys an email he sent me, the way he writes immediately started ringing alarm bells. I know he's trying to scam me somehow, but HOW???

quote:

am OK with the price being $400 ........and i care to see more pics of it if you don't mind, just want to be more sure on what am getting my money on.......
i would have like to come to your area but am in California executing a must do project for my boss.... apparently am buying this item for my daughter who has impressed me in her studies despite the cute fact that she is outside the country studying in an unconditional environment......... so pls get back to me if you still want to sell the item and tell me how to make the payment ..... i will like to make the payment through pay pal because it can be trusted ........ and i do most of my payment online with genuine pay pal payment and if that's OK by you lets proceed and if you have another alternative you are well come .........

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

uptown posted:

Can someone tell me how this guy is trying to scam me?

I've posted an ad on Craigslist about a ring that I am trying to sell, and he emailed me about it, but stated that he is out of the country, buying the ring for his daughter (which immediately struck me as weird because it's an engagement ring...) and so he would like to PayPal me the funds. He hasn't asked me to ship the ring or anything yet, and my PayPal email address is the email he's been communicating with me to, so I just don't understand what he's trying to accomplish by saying he will send me money and not sending the money/not recieving a product???

I'll show you guys an email he sent me, the way he writes immediately started ringing alarm bells. I know he's trying to scam me somehow, but HOW???

Um, he paypals you money and then disputes it to get his money back. Or maybe he sends you a request to your email from some scam "paypal" site (http://www.kongtechnology.com/2008/07/02/fake-paypal-email-and-paypal-website/) and then he sends you the money that way.

Basically you send the ring and he has never sent you any actual money, just some fake out poo poo thru a fake website.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brigadier Sockface posted:

What is your general opinion of the University of Tennessee?

Academically, I think it's a pretty good school. A friend of mine is a chemistry professor there I think.

In terms of college football though they can eat a bag of dicks.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

hooah posted:

Are questions about emulators automatically :filez:?

For what system? If it's old it's probably cool.

2c. What about Roms/Abandonware We allow whatever is allowed on the underdogs to be posted here (within reason). We also allow anything that isn’t commercially available or easily purchased, within reason. Check with a mod before hand. However we do not allow rom sets or random torrents and anyone REQUESTING files will be punished. This is not a file forum.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Does anyone have the music to this?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Docfuture/videos/28/

The link in the description doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Econosaurus posted:

Does anyone have the music to this?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Docfuture/videos/28/

The link in the description doesn't work
Seems all the info to it has been removed, but a Wayback Machine search yielded this result: It's called Spaghetti Jazz-Funk II and here's a link to it. The 12 songs that comprise it are listed here (It's also where I found the link to the music)

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 12, 2010