Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Once upon a time someone mentioned to me that incredibly purified water is used in some industrial or scientific processes and that to touch this water would be harmful, because it would suck nutrients from the skin via osmosis.

Is there any truth to this? I have looked up purified water on wikipedia but it only talks about the harmful effects of drinking it - not touching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Say I've got a diver's bottle that is empty. I weight it and it's 10kg to the nearest mg. I then get it filled up to 300 bar with high pressure air and weight it again. Would it weigh more or the same?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If one is made to feel like they are less like a man, then they are emasculated. Is there a similar term for someone who has been belittled in such a way that they feel less like an adult and more like a child? A term like feeling belittled, but specific to age.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

haveblue posted:

Infantilized?

Excellent, this is just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

How do you pronounce DDoS?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's what I assumed, but you never know with these computing terms that you just read for years and years and come up with your own pronunciations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Has anyone else noticed youtube changing your settings back to show annotations again and again? I have, many times, turned off the 'show annotations' setting in my preferences yet it keeps getting turned back on after a while.

Also, is there a way to always make it use the larger player? That's another setting it seems to remember for a few days then magically forget.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

FLX posted:

Is there still an alcoholic beverages thread, like where people talk about Whisky, Wine, etc?

There are several, have a look in GWS - they should be in the first couple of pages I reckon.

Edit: All 3 on the first page right now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

stubblyhead posted:

Yes, that is infuriating to me as well. It also refuses to leave me logged in no matter how many times I say to do it. I asked about this myself a while back and got no good answer, so if you find a way please post it.

Now this is stupid. They aren't even consistent in their inconsistency - the people who have posted have said they too have experienced the things I said, but I have not experienced this one. Unless it's a cookie problem on your end.

Edit: Here's another question. It's probably a very ignorant question, but that ignorance will not be dispelled unless I ask it:

I know there's a stereotype of children of incest having deformities like eyes way too close together and so on. How true is this?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 22, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Both very good answers, thanks. And yes, the stereotypes I had in mind were either from films like that, cartoons, or the Habsburg lip.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There's a term I'm thinking of that means non-verbal communication, meaning conveyed through body language. It's not kinesics, gesticulation or gestures and I think it refers specifically to the notion of language that isn't spoken. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Anjow posted:

There's a term I'm thinking of that means non-verbal communication, meaning conveyed through body language. It's not kinesics, gesticulation or gestures and I think it refers specifically to the notion of language that isn't spoken. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Whilst continuing my search for an answer, I found out that the word I was after was paralinguistics.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not sure if this is the best thread in which to ask this, feel free to direct me to another.

I use Thunderbird 3.1 on OS X. One guy keeps sending me stupid chain emails that he also sends to others. Does anyone know how I'd create a filter that will match messages that a) are from him and b) are to multiple people (I don't think it's using the CC field). Part a) is easy, not sure how to accomplish part b). I tried matching when the to field contains a comma, but this didn't work.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This may be a bit of an ignorant question.

I'm taking an evening class and I think the tutor is a Muslim. He has an iPhone 4 and every session, at 18:30, it plays what sounds like some Arabic man speaking/singing. The tutor then says "excuse me a moment" and stands quietly until it finishes, whereupon he continues the lesson. Now, the sound is too long for a text alert and if it was a call I assume he'd cancel it or have the phone on silent. This combined with the praying 5 times a day makes me wonder is this some way of fulfilling that requirement?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Very likely he is making a compromise in observing a moment of silence instead of the traditional evening prayer in order to not disrupt his class too much.

This is what I was thinking, but didn't know enough about the religion to know if this would be done. Thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know where I can find information or footage related to the making of the UK comedy series Peep Show? I've looked on google and youtube but just find unrelated things. I'd be interested to see how the scenes were done with views from each actor's perspective.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I'm in the UK and buying something from the US, what is the threshold under which I won't have to pay any import duty or VAT? I seem to remember it being something like £50. Basically what is the amount I can go up to without having to pay any sort of customs charges. The item in question is a laser pointer. Not that mega death ray one though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Akuma posted:

Customs duty kicks in at £135, but VAT is £18 (or £40 if marked as a gift.)

Pah, so with something that's $80 I imagine there'll be the VAT of £8.75 and the stupid 'processing charge' of £8 on top of that? That's poo poo. But thanks for the info.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 11, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Disharmony posted:

Serial killer question: who's the bald, Gandhi-looking guy on the intro of this video? I was able to identify all of the guys mugshots except for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3O8vZCdQI

The one behind bars is Andrei Chikatilo, if that's who you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikatilo

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm using XP SP3 and FF is my default browser. I've got some Microsoft training stuff that I've been given and it needs to be run in IE. I can accomplish this either by opening IE and opening the file, or doing Start > Run > iexplore.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Learning\6245\CompanionContent\default.htm".

Is there a way I can make a shortcut that does this? When I try to make a shortcut to that same path it says it's invalid. When I try to make a shortcut including the fully qualified path of iexplore.exe it also says it's invalid. Any ideas?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Learning\6245\CompanionContent\default.htm"

The above line as the shortcut should work as long as the paths and filenames are right.

That did it, thanks. I was putting one set of quotes around all of it - not one around the command and one around the parameter.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There's what I think is a sort of food that I have heard mentioned on several American TV shows. The problem is I've only heard it in an American accent so I don't know how it would be spelled so that I could look it up. Please could someone tell me the correct spelling of the thing that is phonetically spelled "blahb jahmens"?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't remember what shows, and the only context I remember was "try the blahb jahmens".

Edit: Actually it may have been GOB in Arrested Development, but I don't really know.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 21, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Could it be this Indian dessert, Gulab jamun?

Sounds like it could be it, yes. Thanks. When it's said quickly it might be hard to pick up the initial consonant.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

RaoulDuke12 posted:

It was probably from Flight of the Conchords. Dave says it at the party he's having.

That was it. Though I'm sure I've heard it on at least one more. Looks like my thinking it was GOB was way off the mark.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ignorant question about genetics follows.

If there are two men who are identical twins and they both bone the same woman and she gives birth, can some manner of DNA test determine which one is the father?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Identical twins have the exact same DNA, but with different phenotypes. Thus, no, a simple DNA test can't determine who is who. Because of the phenotypes, they have different fingerprints and slightly different features. This does not help you when finding out who yo babby daddy be though.

Interesting. Again, not knowing much about these things, does this mean that there is any way at all of determining paternity? I just mentioned DNA because it was the first thing that springs to mind, the link posted and the complexity of that case suggests that there may not be.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is youtube hosed up for anyone else today? For me none of the dynamic things work - clicking on my username does nothing, when it should expand the account menu. Clicking on the expand player button does nothing, when it should be making it bigger and moving the right-hand column down.

I've tried disabling noscript and greasmonkey.

Another question:

Are any non-prescription sleep medications effective? Or are they all snake oil.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 4, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Orzo posted:

Have you tried diphenhydramine aka benadryl aka tylenol pm (which has acetaminophen too)? It knocks some people right out.

I haven't, I don't think. I'm in the UK so I'll look for something with it in. However I have tried many so-called drowsy antihistamines that have not made me drowsy at all, don't know if this is one of them.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I'm about to eat something I know will be tasty, as I am bringing it up to my mouth my mouth aches, particularly the back of my cheeks. Does this happen with others and is it salivation or something?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

wigtrade.cc posted:

Can the network at my dorm throttle .torrent files?

not the actual torrent but the 25k file that links you to the seeders. because trying to download one of those takes forever while bigger files on other websites load no problem

Yes, as far as I'm aware this is quite possible. That's why some site/tracker packages give the option to download the .torrent file as a .txt file which can then have the extension changed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This is a very stupid question and I am certainly not asking it because I want to do it.

What would happen if you snorted something like sesame seeds? Something that has a bit of mass to it and won't be dissolving. Would it get stuck in the nasal cavity? How would it get out? Through the nose or mouth?

I was toasting some sesame seeds and sneezed, which made me think of this question.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kapalama posted:

Anyone know how to make WIkipedia remember that I have given them money twice already so they quit showing me the "Cult of Personality" ego picture of that guy?

Have you had a look for a Greasemonkey script for it? I'm sure one exists because I don't see anything like that. I have one called Wikipedia Ad Remover.

My question:

Why does cold water with detergent never form as good a lather as hot water? Or am I imagining this?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Are there any diseases that only affect Caucasians? Or at least diseases where incidence in non-Caucasians is very low indeed?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Elijya posted:

Can you just walk in and out of some trials as an observer? I know some are closed proceedings, but also that many are open to the public. My dad is testifying in a lawsuit this afternoon and I thought I might go watch, but I can't get ahold of him.

I did just this at an English magistrate's court. I felt awkward at the time, but no one objected or gave me any funny looks. I was just curious.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Manslaughter posted:

I know very little about nuclear bombs and whatnot but playing Civ today got me thinking about a pretty scary question.

"Little Boy" was the atomic bomb that the US dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. It had the explosive power of 13k-18k tons of TNT. Assuming 65 years of development, how big of a boom would come from the most powerful bomb that could be made? Would it be possible to make an explosion so large that it throws off the Earth's orbit? How about nuking the moon so hard it crashes into the Earth?

Edit: and is there a good book I can read about some crazy guy that wants to do this?

This page has some data on what's been done so far, if that's of any help. To be honest, when I found it I wasn't that impressed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tell me about hair going grey. I read this:

Wikipedia posted:

The change in hair color occurs when melanin ceases to be produced in the hair root and new hairs grow in without pigment.

But I just found a hair of mine where there was 4 inches of dark brown at the root end and 12 inches of grey/clear/whatever at the other end. If grey hairs are formed when pigment stops being produced at the root, what the gently caress was this? It had a different texture too - the root end felt like normal hair, the tip end felt like old fishing line - thick, wrinkled and weird.

I have quite a few normal greys around my temples and they're nothing like this one I just found. They just feel like normal hair but grey or white.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a name for what happens when you are doing one thing but talking about another and accidentally include parts of what you're doing in the conversation?

Example: I was talking to my girlfriend about not taking a certain medicine whilst making a cheese toastie, I ended up warning her about not taking Gruyère unless she really needed to.

I'm aware of Freudian slips, but I didn't know if this was the same thing because I've only ever heard of a Freudian slip being when someone unwittingly voices their unconscious desires. As far as I'm aware I wasn't subconsciously trying to keep her away from my food. So does this bleed-over of thoughts fall under the definition of Freudian slip? Or is there another name for it?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'd also try rubbing alcohol, since it's useful for just about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know of a page that details the processes by which an ordinary film (like Titanic) would be converted to 3D (as James Cameron said is being done)? I've looked on Wikipedia and googled a bit but not found anything specific about the method.

And here's a really obscure question:

In The Bill, the UK TV series, I was sure that Mark Kermode played a baddie who Rod Skase was involved with, but I can't find anything supporting my memory. Does anyone know anything?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2010