Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Danger Mahoney posted:

So I just got contacts for the first time in my life now that I'm pushing thirty. Seem to work well, but I'm plagued by the feeling of something in my eye. I realize that there is now a hunk of plastic resting on the surface of my eye, but is this something you get used to over time? If you've worn contacts for a long time, does it ever get to the point that it feels completely normal to have them in?

Also, any protips from any nice goons would be greatly appreciated.

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to having them in, then it was completely natural. I had much more trouble learning how to jam my fingers into my eyes to get the contacts in and out than I did learning to live with them once they were in. My only tip is don't eat spicy food with your fingers at night. No matter how well you wash your hands, you won't be able to get all the hot sauce off your fingertips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

kalonji posted:

Can anyone tell me about a good over the counter medication for sinus colds/head colds. I used to use sudafed but thanks to the tweakers that doesn't work anymore.

E: :canada:

I think there are two main OTC sinus medications: pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine. Depending on where you live Sudafed may or may not contain pseudoephedrine (if it doesn't, it has phenylephrine), so look at the label. Go to your Shoppers or whatever and buy the generic versions.

Like a previous poster, I have had some success by using antihistamines, I think there are three main types available OTC: chlorpheniramine, loratadine, and diphenhydramine. Again, these are sold as generics, so save your money.

Cold and flu meds mostly have a mix of the above. For example, the previously mentioned Theraflu has chlorpheniramine and pseudoephedrine (along with acetaminophen [AKA tylenol] and dextromethorphan [a cough suppressant]). You can buy the mix, although it's probably cheaper to buy the individual drugs and mix them yourself.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

What's a free program for Windows 7 that will allow me to capture audio streamed from internet radio sites other than Audacity?

I use Screamer Radio.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Raimundus posted:

Why haven't we adopted a standard name for the 00's decade? I've heard people call it the "millennials", the "two-thousands"... but those sound retarded or else don't make any sense.

Personally, I've been saying "noughties" since I first heard the word, even though "nought" is strictly a British English word. Somebody in another thread just ordered me not to use it. Why, and what the gently caress else am I going to call it?

If history is any guide, the standard name will become "the first decade", which has the advantage of not just being perfectly descriptive, but also not sounding loving retarded.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

gwar3k1 posted:

Why did America become so litigious and is there any chance that people will ever chill the gently caress out and not sue each other for the slightest of things?

I don't think it has to do with chilling out or questions of national character. It has to do with incentives. The simple answer is that there are fewer disincentives for people in the USA to sue. Most Western countries have a "loser pays" system where the losers pays for the court costs and lawyers fees for both parties. This tends to put a brake on the more frivolous lawsuits. In the USA, people pay only for their own lawyers.

Note that no one thinks there is a right or wrong way to set up a system. Loser pays systems are stacked against poorer people suing the rich -- a losing case for them would be disastrous in a way that it wouldn't be in a USA-style system. It's a balance.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

Broke my pelvis and both my feet a little less than a month ago.

:hfive: sup pelvis breaking buddy

quote:

I guess my question is, am I going through withdrawal? If not, are there any remedies for night sweats for people not going through any hormonal imbalances? I'm at my wit's end, I can't keep this up for very long.

I slept without the boot. It felt really uncomfortable to have my foot just dangling, so I propped my foot upright with some pillows at the foot of my bed. I slept like this for six months. It wasn't comfortable, but it was the best I could do.

To answer your larger question, my body was seriously hosed up for a long time. The circulation in my body was erratic, which meant sometimes I was cold and sometimes sweating hot within an hour without the temperature having changed at all. To this day (6 years after) my left leg is always much colder than the right.

I didn't take any meds, so I can't answer that part of your story, but as far as I know it is perfectly normal for your temperature to swing wildly. There might not be anything you can do about it, I don't know since I didn't ask the doctor.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about getting through this.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

I don't have PMs, do you maybe have an AIM? Mine's my username.

I don't have an AIM account, you can email me at candy.gorilla which is a gmail account.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you guys go about breaking your pelvis?

car crash

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tostito posted:

I have been told that being in good shape and being good looking increases your chances of getting a job/holding a job/advancing the ladder immeasurably. From the perspective of someone who is actually out in the real working world, do you find that this is true?

I've worked with successful fat slobs and unsuccessful buff jocks. My anecdotes won't add anything to the conversation, but I can tell you that this is a matter of some debate in the social sciences. For example, this study shows that "obesity exerts a large, statistically significant and negative impact on employment for both males and females" in the UK, but this study from 9 other european countries found "weak evidence that obese workers are more likely to be unemployed or tend to be more segregated in self-employment jobs than their non-obese counterparts... our reported estimates also indicate it is extremely difficult to detect statistically significant associations between obesity and wages.... the associations tend to be different for men and women..." So who knows.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Elijya posted:

From an evolutionary perspective, what is the purpose of males being generally hairier than females, specifically in regards to facial hair? In other words, what purpose does a beard serve bilogically?

It is notoriously difficult to establish answers to "why" questions like this. But it probably has to do with sexual selection: it is a physical marker selected for by females.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

kapalama posted:

Is there a term for the 'orchestral plucked string sound' TV shows have lately been using as a Laugh Track of sorts?

I don't know about the laugh track part, but plucked string technique is called pizzacato:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7Hxrbf5nw

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Is there a good website for soccer data/statistics?

I know there is a wealth of information for baseball (sabermetrics) but how about for soccer?

What I am specifically looking for is info on penalty kicks - really detailed info like foot used, type of shot, which way the keep dove, colors of jerseys etc etc.

I am in grad school and want to do a categorical data analysis project on soccer penalties.

Not sure if there is a better thread for this in TRP... but figured I'd ask here first.

I am reasonably sure I haven't seen this data online anywhere, but it has been the subject of any number of papers, so I suggest googling some of those papers (eg) and contacting the authors.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Killbox posted:

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

Wikipedia has an excellent article summarizing presidential rankings over time. He is typically regarded as a borderline top ten president. He was a charismatic guy, but politically was a typical liberal of the day. Johnson's presidency following his assassination suggests that Kennedy possibly would not be as well-regarded today had he had to deal with the social rifts created by the Vietnam mess.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Ariza posted:

What is that little book called that is supposed to be one of the most useful books to own? I think it is green or blue and has common measurements for construction, metric-imperial conversions, etc. I first read about it somewhere here on the forums but searching for it on Google hasn't worked out for me today yet. Thanks!

Are you thinking of Pocket Ref by Thomas Glover?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

SouvlakiPlaystation posted:

I recently acquired a 550mb avi movie file, which was split up in to 6 smaller avi files that all have names like "ronnie.home.movie.avi.001" then named the same way through 6, etc. This being the case I thought all I had to do was remove the numbers at the end to make them playable and that would be that...but after doing so i'm told by Windows Media Player that I'm missing a codec. I've downloaded a few codec packs, but haven't had any luck. Can anyone recommend a good player that would do the trick?

Also I plan on eventually burning this to DVD. Is there a way to combine the files in to one?

hjsplit.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

tendrilsfor20 posted:

What is the musical term for when two singers are singing at different tempos at the same time?

Not the "Row, Row, Row your boat" thing where they start at different times, but more like this.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a name for that. At least I've never heard of one.

BTW the row row row your boat thing is called singing in the round.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

baquerd posted:

For stabbing victims in general, no particular region or time period, are there any data on mortality rate versus number of stab wounds?

I can't really find anything on google scholar, the overwhelming interest in the literature concerns the mortality of the area of the wound, not necessarily the number of wounds. I don't have access to these papers but the abstracts suggest that they may have something related to what you're after.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

A drat FOG posted:

One of the tuning pegs on my guitar is loose/broken and will only tune down, not up. As an intermediate player with little to no guitar repair knowledge, is this something I can trust myself to fix with some online tutorial or should I just take it to a shop?

It is very easy and straightforward to change tuning pegs. Go for it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

JimTheSarcastic posted:

How do I do the following in Excel 2007?

I want to do conditional formatting for two columns: When the value of one cell in Column A equals the value of a cell in the same row in Column B, then I want both cells in that row (but not the whole column) to be grayed out.

I know how to do the formatting part. I just need the formula to establish the condition.

Or you can highlight the top two cells, Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula to determine which cells to format, then put "=A2=B2" in the formula field. Then copy those cells and highlight the entire range, Paste Special > Format.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Thank you! Another question, is there an easy way to convert from FLAC to mp3? I tried to do it thru this dumb winamp tutorial and I can't figure it out.

If you just have a few small files you can use http://media.io/ to convert them online. Your media manager should have a way to do it internally, though, or there should be a plugin for it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Does anyone remember which goon was the keyboardist for Tokyo Police Club (Graham Wright)?

I think it was BlackSheepBoy.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Not that I can find. Don't know if he changed his handle or not.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

I'd like to see where and how many times a word's been mentioned in a single, multi-page thread. Without SA search or anything, how would I go about that? Using Google?

e.g. I want to see how often someone says 'welp' itt http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753

If you can't work with perl, the easiest way for you to do it without any programming is to 1) paste all the text from the thread into a text editor, and 2) search-and-replace for welp, which should return something like "welp has been replaced 31 times". As for 1), you can go through all 31 pages, and copy/paste the text into Word, then hit CTL+H, type in the welp you want to find and enter welp as its replacement, then hit Replace All.

Copy/pasting 31 pages is a pain in the rear end -- I have an app that downloads entire threads and merges all the pages into a single file, I have no idea where I got it from. I have it installed as "SA single thread read SinglePT_win32", but I can't find the installation files anywhere. Anyone have a lead on this?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

JayBulworth posted:

Alright, I recently broke my toilet seat so I need a new one. The problem is that the holes on my toilet that you screw the hinges in are 7.5 inches apart instead of the American standard of 5 inches apart. Can someone point me to a place where I can by toilet seats that have hinges like this? Other than the hinge issue, the toilet will accommodate any rounded seat.

I'm willing to buy online at this point by the way as I have looked everywhere in my city.

The keywords you need to search for is "bolt distance" or "hinge distance". Also try searching for Case toilet models. They seem to have a 7 inch bolt distance standard. I found a couple of 7 inch seats with that. For example, the first hit for "case 1000 seat is this, which has a list of seats, all of which "with chrome hinges, 7" center-to-center".

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

I just came across this Jeopardy! clue:

Group of 4 letters that sounds different within words for done, exhaustive, hack, idea, branch & coarse.

The answer is: o-u-g-h

How the gently caress does this make sense?

through, thorough, dunno, thought, bough, & tough

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

the posted:

Is there a term in music production when they sing the last refrain/verse in a higher octave? I think I got all of the terms right, but for examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzrRAs8fdc#t=1m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nPf7w7pDI#t=3m10s

Modulation, not transposition, is the term. Or colloquially "key change". Octave is not the right term for the amount of modulation -- the first song modulates up one semitone, the second song goes up two semitones. Octave = 12 semitones.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

the posted:

That's pretty interesting.

Any idea on around when that started or became popular in music?

I don't know too much about the history of music. Key changes are very common in modern western popular music, I have to assume popular music in the past has used it as well. I can easily imagine opera's using key changes. The purpose of the key changes is to 1) signal a section break or change in the song, and 2) to provide a "lift" in energy. This seems ideally suited to the dramatic purposes of say opera, I'd be surprised if composers didn't explore the dramatic possiblities. Here is an article about key changes in modern popular music, written for musicians but not requiring any kind of theory background.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Econosaurus posted:

Whats a good place to host images off of somethingawful? I saw a thread somewhere but I can't find it.

You want this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1840176

I like imgur.com

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

wigtrade.cc posted:

I am curious if there is a service that gives you wakeup calls because even with 3 alarms, and an online alarmclock winning the fight against my subconscious turning my alarm off and going back to sleep is going to ruin me.

I'm not sure why a wakeup call would be any more effective than the alarm on your phone, but anyway. I found these free services:

http://www.wakeupdialer.com/
http://www.mysnoozester.com/
http://www.antsers.org/

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Pull your upper eyelid over your lower lid and hold it there till your eye starts to tear up. As seen on a Superfriends PSA in the seventies.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

I live in Ontario. Do I have any legal recourse against an obnoxious, harassing neighbour in the same building? (house) The landlord knows about the issue but won't do anything, though he's on our side. If it matters, my boyfriend and I have lived here a lot longer than the neighbour.

I don't know, but I can point you to http://www.torontotenants.org/ if you live in Toronto. There are some other resources being discussed in this thread: http://www.settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3192

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Jeffrey Colon posted:

If anyone can help me find either of these two threads I will be very grateful.

First one was a joke thread where some guy had a really stupid and long winded joke and the punchline was "Welcome to the Republican Party!". I know it became somewhat popular after that, but I'm looking for the original thread specifically because some of the responses to that post were incredible.

This?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of any long interview-type videos on youtube talking about anything? Just as long as its comprehensive english and a controlled environment. I need some practice material for my court reporting thingamajig. I already listen to podcasts and fora.tv, but it's good to have more sources to draw from.

I was watching some of the Conversations with History series last week, longform interviews with host Harry Kreisler. eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBZJWyGh1EI

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

What does "The Jump" mean in blogging? As far as I can tell it means absolutely nothing and it looks kind of retarded to see content broken with a single sentence saying "More after the jump!" or "Hit the jump to see the rest."

If you get blog updates through an RSS feed, sometimes the update would contain only the first graf or so and you'd need to click through to get the content after the jump. Also some rss readers only show a small preview of a blog post. So after the jump becomes a way of saying "there's more to this post after this".

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I've come down with a bit of a cold. Naturally, nasal congestion came with it. I have pseudophedrine which helps me breathe through the day, but it WIRES me so I can't really take any before bed.

Is there a non-prescription decongestant that won't do this so I can not suffocate while sleeping?

If you are in North America I think the only OTC decongestants available, at least in pill form, are pseudophedrine and phenylephrine.

edit: other decongenstants:
I think ephedrine is available OTC in canada.
Levomethamphetamine is used in Vicks Vapor Inhaler.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 22, 2011

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

Why do some stores like Canadian Tire make you push through a turnstile to enter? Is it a way of counting how many people come in?

I think it's for the same reason that they use turnstiles in subways: to allow people to enter in that area but not leave.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Maybe that's normal for Canada.

No.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

What would happen if someone hijacked my google account? It's not likely to happen (I have a decent password, only I have access to my laptops, I never log into google from another computer), but would I be totally hosed if it did?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

back2newbelf posted:

Would someone please be so kind and explain NHL play by play files to me?
I promise I'll have some cool statistics to show up for it later.
I'm talking about play by play files like http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/PL020003.HTM

The hockey threads are very active, you should probably ask there:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393440

I had a look at the pbp and it looks like you may not be able to accurately track puck possession. For example:

CAR wins the FACeoff and has possession. Seven seconds later there is a HIT. Five seconds later MTL player BOUILLON takes a shot. At some point CAR lost the puck to MTL, but it doesn't show up in the pbp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

I need help with Microsoft Excel!

I have to make 3 line graphs, which I did. It's temperature over time stuff. However, I'm supposed to compare these 3 graphs and the time spent recording the temperature for the 3 trials are different. Is there a way to extend the horizontal axes of the shorter graphs to match that of the longest graph? As it is now each graph's horizontal axis stops where the data stops, but I need it to keep going to achieve a visual representation!
Much obliged folks.

I'm not entirely sure if I understand your problem, but right click the x axis and change the values in Axis Options: Minimum and Maximum: