Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How do pool tables at bars know which ball is the cue ball when you scratch? I assume it has something to do with weight but I was shooting pool last night with some buddies and I got more curious than I usually am about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I believe it's a little smaller than the others. It might also weigh less.

The smaller thing makes sense. It would be like counting coins; the smaller ball falls through the hole while the other balls simple roll over it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Doc Faustus posted:

Anyone know what it is that makes water go "stale?" I'm guessing it's some sort of oxidation type process, since it happens to waterglasses left out, or water stored in a half-empty bottle, but not in new vacuum-sealed bottles.

Anyone know?

Water also tends to dissociate to H30+ and OH- over time, and that alters the taste, as well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Wouldn't this also happen in a sealed bottle?

Even bottled water that sits long enough will go bad. The presence of O2 in an open glass accelerates the process.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Considering how massively demand would increase once electric cars became widespread, I think electricity prices comparable with current gas prices would be expected. Especially if we expect recharge stations to somehow charge up a battery at the speed one can currently fill a tank. The infrastructure and maintenance of such a system, including the need to get electricity from (probably) central power stations (whether coal, hydroelectric, etc.), would cost a lot. And think about states like California, which have already experienced power shortages and rolling blackouts. America's power grid is strong, but transportation represents such an overwhelming energy need that prices would quickly rise. This isn't to say it's not a viable or sustainable option (not a debate to get into here), just that it will probably have costs comparable to current gasoline costs.

However, as we pass the peak oil mark we will probably see rising gas prices over the next couple decades, leading to a push for more electric cars.

Don't expect a lot of artificial price inflation, except that possibly caused by an OPEC-style coalition of electricity producers.

We actually have those batteries now, at least in a prototype stage. One of my professors' research team discovered a way to get a large charge in and out of a battery rather quickly.

Here's a press release if you're curious: http://braungroup.beckman.illinois.edu/ScienceDaily_Press.pdf

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Totally Negro posted:

Oh no, I love that beer though which is a funny coincidence. Maybe I just like beers with years in their name.

But this beer's name was purely just a year, no other words.

There's a new Belgium beer that is called something like 1567. Is that it?

Edit: beaten like a brunette natural child

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

A blackbody is something that only emits light; it does not reflect light. What is the object called that behaves oppositely? In other words, what object only reflects light; it does not emit light?

There's no such thing as a perfect blackbody, and something that could emit light without absorbing any would defy the first law of thermodynamics. Unless I'm not hearing your question right.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

2508084 posted:

Ask the nutrition megathread in W&W

I'm pretty positive there's a protein thread there, as well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

Yeah but I am gonna have to drive there and stuff.

Hotbox your car once you arrive, then. Obviously.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

cargo cult posted:

How would I do this, get a psychology degree? My academic history is poo poo and I have no income, assets or credit, so I can't join the rarefied atmosphere as easily as y'all.

What path is psychology set on other than being extremely expensive one on one time for privileged teenagers and bored housewives? Is psychology beneficial/available to anyone but the upper middle class? The whole thing seems like a joke but IDK why I keep posting in this thread other than to be poo poo on by people with ridiculous opportunity who are convinced their liberal arts degrees are something other than what they are.

Wow you really are an arrogant son of a bitch. How can you continue to offhandedly dismiss everything everyone is saying to you? Just because you don't believe that something that follows the scientific method, is published in journals with peer review like everything else published in journals, and actually has a rather large amount of theory backing it up is science, doesn't mean that you're right. I mean, what qualifies something as a science for you? Does it have to be something you can objectively quantify 100% of the time? If so, quantum mechanics would like to have a word with you.

EDIT: also, your classist perspective on this is totally ridiculous. I mean, privileged teenagers and bored housewives? That's a pretty major insult to anyone who has ever had a mental illness; simply saying it's something on the level of a leisure activity for rich people is incredibly offensive.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 21, 2012

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

While in the middle of the 4th book of "A Song of Ice and Fire," I decided to start watching the HBO series. Now, it's been a couple/few months since I read the first book, but I don't remember anything about a relationship between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell. Am I that forgetful, or was that scene entirely made up?

It's actually fairly obvious in the earlier books, but rather easy to gloss over. I did, as well. There are a couple threads you can go to to ask about this particular relationship, but I'm on my phone so i can't easily link them. Suffice it to say that if you read closely, you'll wonder how you missed that little detail.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If it was a state trooper you should call the state police, not local stations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

Actually, I don't think the volumes are additive because increased attractive intermolecular forces between the water mean you'd actually end up with less than the sum of your two volumes. Not sure if it's on a big enough scale to throw off your BoozeMath, but something to consider.

It's negligible.

Carry on with your stoichiometric booze calculations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I say "jiff." like peanut butter

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm generally loving terrible at waking up in the morning to an alarm. I want to try some sort of "gently caress you, you have to get up you lazy sack of poo poo" alarm clock, but I don't know where to start. I'm afraid that with most of them, I'll do the mundane task of getting up and picking up this thing rolling around my room, turn it off, and go back to sleep. am I a lost cause already?

Any recommendations on an alarm clock that will get me up and alert pretty quickly would be great.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

zachol posted:

When I absolutely have to get up, I leave a loud alarm on in the bathroom. Once I'm there it's usually just easier to take a shower, and once I'm showering then I'm not going back to sleep.

Unfortunately I live in a house with 2 other people on the floor I live on, so that's not really practical. I'm going to have to look at amazon for something, I think.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

smartphone + Sleep Cycle. I was just like you until I found this way to have the alarm go off at the right time within my natural sleep cycle. Haven't had trouble getting up and feeling awesome in years since. If you don't have/want a smartphone you can buy dedicated hardware that does the same thing.

Is there an Android version of this app? There are a million like it on the marketplace, and I don't want to buy one that doesn't come recommended.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
i tried going to the link just for the hell of it. it loaded in a very bizarre way, with the tab title changing very quickly but nothing showing up on the page. I'd say it's a scam, and i'm almost 100% confident in that.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

What's the best way to compensate someone for using their bathroom as the gastrointestinal equivalent of the Hiroshima bombing?

if it was someone I'm friends with, I'd say sorry, open the window, and not think about it again. I mean, if you plugged up their toilet you should plunge it, otherwise I wouldn't think there needs to be any compensation.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

What if the recipient is a business?

What kind of business are we talking here? My local chinese place, or someone's office, or what?

EDIT: i am not an expert on poop etiquette, just want to get that out there

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Coffee shop. Near where I live, but I don't go there usually.

Also:

Past tense.

forget about it entirely. it will be way worse if you go in and are like, "hey there barista, i brought you these spiced almonds because i took a megashit in your toilet last week. have a nice day!"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gravity Pike posted:

The butane in the lighter is under pressure - butane is gas at 1 atm, and liquid under pressure. Holding the button down opens a valve, and pressure in the lighter forces liquid up through the tube. As soon as it exits the valve, it becomes a gas, and catches on fire. I'd guess they do it this way so you get a larger volume of butane gas through a smaller hole.

More like they do it this way so they can cram more butane into each small lighter, extending its life. If it was unpressurized gas in the lighter, it'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I put some gold bond in my armpits after deodorant. That seems to help with that problem.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Flagrant Abuse posted:

What exactly is required for an extremely viscous liquid like pitch to not be considered just an amorphous solid like toothpaste, and vice-versa?

Viscosity is how much a liquid resists flowing. Toothpaste would technically be considered a somewhat viscous liquid, while pitch is less viscous. You would be very surprised by how viscous some materials can be, much more so than toothpaste.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
A couple questions:

Does anyone have experience either interning or working full time with Gerdau Ameristeel? I ask because I have an on-site interview in a couple weeks, and I use recreational drugs. Should I expect a drug test during this portion, or not until after?

Also, I'm trying to sell a Coca-Cola vending machine. It is in really good condition, and the refrigerant still works. I'm not positive if the electronics are still in working condition, though. I'm currently asking $500 for it on Craigslist; is that a reasonable price for a used, working vending machine?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It depends. Some models of vending machine are highly desirable and run up huge prices. Some aren't and people will practically give them to you to haul them away.

There are some pictures here if you think that might help identify its value. I really have no idea and I can't find much via google that lists actual prices.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm now trying to identify my vending machine. It's a Vendo machine with a coke logo on the front, and the safety manual I found inside of it is from 1986. I was able to find the serial number location, but the only numbers I could decipher were these from the serial number part: 040914. There are some pictures here. Can anyone help me figure out what model this is, so I can get a user's manual and figure out how to work the electronics? I'm obviously going to get more money selling it with those in working order than without.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
it could be natural gas. there's usually a small pipe off the main one designed to catch dust and such, but i'm not a plumber so take that for what you will. just a guess.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Huntersoninski posted:

What's the best way to cool my bedroom without window units/vents? I have central air but it SUCKS and my apartment complex does not allow window units, and it's going to be a very hot summer.

There are a lot of fans that cool by loading them up with water and turning them on but I'm wondering if anyone here has a recommendation.

If you're willing to do this every day, or just when it's really hot out, you could put a large pan filled with ice water in front of a fan and run the fan blowing into your room. That would pretty effectively cool it, but you'd have to replace the water all the goddamned time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

What would happen if you lined up a row of dominoes, but each domino was progressively infinitesimally larger than the last one? So you start with a regular sized domino, then say 1,000,000 dominoes later you end up with one the size of a door? And then you push the first domino, would it end up knocking over the door-sized one?

My brain says no, but my heart, my stupid stupid heart says it would.

Well if they're infinitesmally larger then you would never see an increase in size. Set theory :science:

But in the spirit of your question, yes, the giant one would get knocked down, as has been said.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Redkist posted:

What cool music festivals are there in the U.S. this summer? I may be going and would love to attend one. Interested in any genre; doesn't matter where in the U.S.

Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago is looking really good this year. Much cheaper than lollapalooza, but a really hipster crowd with tons of "indie" bands. Also they have soy ice cream which is incredible, along with a market with records, posters, etc.

It's near a pretty shady part of town, but the grounds are right off the elevated train you've probably heard of in Chicago. Not far from a pretty good bar scene in wicker park, either.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

Is there any alternatives for high-speed internet than Clearwire* or Comcast (Chicago area)?

*This is what I'm currently using.

Nope, you're hosed pretty much. At&t might offer uverse but it's pitifully slow, unless you can get fiber optic. Comcast had pretty good speed, but it's often slower than advertised, albeit not by much. Their customer service is atrocious, however, and the pricing is obscene.

Full disclosure: I use Comcast in champaign, but I grew up in chicagoland. Have Comcast back at home, too. I've had quite a few terrible experiences with them, though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if it's possible to install steam games on 2 different hard drives? I have skyrim on my ssd and would like to install deus ex: human revolutions onto another hdd I have, but I can't find a way to do it without moving all my games to the other hdd.

If I've just been baited into believing that games run better off of ssd's and it actually doesn't matter, let me know, as that makes my question kind of pointless.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

This depends on the game. SSDs tend to have faster read rates than hard disks, but most games nowadays are programmed to take advantage of the nature of hard disks and are actually either hindered or not at all affected by being installed on a solid state drive. It's probably not worth the trouble.

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Oops, looks like I was wrong about an SSD being disadvantageous for some games :blush:. It's still true that games are optimized for hard disks and installing them on an SSD will not provide a noticeable difference, though.

Use a SSD for your OS and other software that takes some time to start up, not games.

I'll do a test with skyrim and see if the change is noticeable with it on a hard disk compared to an ssd. it will be purely anecdotal and will provide no real information on this issue, but i will do it anyway.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Paper Diamonds posted:

My roommate keeps turning the thermostat to 76-78 even though its summer time. He says that it only turns on when its colder than that so on sunny days we can leave it at 78 and since its warmer outside the furnace won't come on. I ALWAYS was told to keep the temp at 65-68ish when you're out of the house/sleeping because it saves money. He claims I don't understand how a thermostat works; which I don't, but I do think it saves money my way. Which one of us is right?

your roommate is a lazy idiot. if it gets down to anything below 76 at night (in your house/apartment, it most likely does) then the heat is going to kick on, making your place warmer and wasting power. you're likely sleeping, and even if you're not, you probably don't like it to be in the high 70's when you do. tell your roommate to simply turn the heat on when its cold, and off when it's not. it'll save you the headache of having a discussion on the operation of a thermostat, as well as some money and possibly discomfort.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dudebro posted:

I've noticed that loading maps in an FPS game is noticeably faster. It seems worth it to me if you're only playing a few games at any one time. Any more games installed at once and you'll probably want a mechanical HDD because of the price of higher capacity SSDs.

That's the truth. 60 GB doesn't go very far with a windows install and a few other things.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

Hey. So my vision is sub-optimal, but still good enough that I am perfectly cool not wearing glasses. My question is, am I actually damaging my vision further by choosing not to wear glasses (better phrasing: which damages my vision more, wearing them or not)? Also, am I damaging my vision if I read particularly small text?

Some studies have shown that higher amounts of reading as a child contributes to higher myopia rates. You could be damaging your eyes; it really depends on how old you are and how much you're straining yourself.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pagan posted:

How does dimensional lumber and homebuilding work in countries that use the metric system? In the US, we have 2x4's, (which aren't 2 inches by 4 inches but whatever) and plywood sheets come in 4 foot by 8 foot sections (which re exactly 4' x 8')

So, how big is a 2x4 in Germany, or a sheet of plywood?

2 inches is reasonably close to 5 cm (within 2%) so they probably just refer to them as 5x10s or something like that.

not a european, though, that's just me doing basic conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm driving through Chicago tomorrow (Saturday) probably around 2-3pm on I90 & I94 eastbound. How lovely is traffic going to be?

it's a saturday. you'll be fine, especially because there's not much going on in the city.