Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

marshmallard posted:

No. When two people walk towards each other in Britain, both do this unbelievably awkward hop from left foot to right foot to left foot or vice versa, ducking and weaving to try and figure out which way to go. During this exchange both will make 'oh' 'er' 'um' noises, and then both will apologise. It's stupendously awkward and painful to endure, especially for the participants.

I wish that was satire but it's entirely true, it happens all the time.

We do this in the DC area too. Most of the time its so ridiculous that it is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

Driver License/DMV question!

I'm going to school in Colorado (originally from Massachusetts) and I just turned 21 last week. My Mass driver license expired on my birthday and I want to get an over 21 DL in Colorado. I talked to someone on the phone at the DMV about doing so and he said I need either a bank statement or utility bill, well I don't have any bank statements being sent to my new address as we recently moved in and our utility bills are covered by the landlord. The guy at the DMV said to that I could get a rent receipt book and have a roommate fill it out to make it look like I paid him for the rent. I don't really understand how to fill out the receipt in a way that the registry will accept as proof of residency..

This is what the rent receipt book I bought looks like

Uh, that sounds like fraud to me. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

I'm a pc tech and something I've wondered about : how is it that some people's mouses or certain keys on their keyboard can go from a textured/matte plastic surface to a slick shiny glass like surface through use?

Skin is not harder than plastic so how does it get polished up like that? I just got a mouse back today that's been in use maybe 1.5 years at most, the buttons and whole back half palm-area are shiny and smooth like glass.

It's never happened to me and I have an original MS optical mouse I've been using for 10+ years on one of my pcs, it just gets dirty.

My work laptop has many shiny keys, especially the space bar. Most likely because I used to eat chick-fil-a while I was working and the spicy chicken oil helped along the process.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

FCKGW posted:

A goon in SA-Mart will make some cards for you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3348573

I had that guy make me a few different designs of cards and they turned out awesome!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

VERY Stupid question

a couple lights in my apartment burnt out
and I do not know how to change them

I can find no screws anywhere on this one. It's glued to the bathroom ceiling, and the glass panel is larger than its recess.

This one is more normal but does not seem to want to unscrew.

How do I do this.

I can hardly tell what I am looking at in either photo, but the second one looks like a light I have in my house, to take it off I gently push up and turn counter clockwise. Your results may vary.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've had a broken CFL bulb on my floor in my unventilated bedroom like less than 3 feet from where I sleep for a good 5 weeks. Am I going to die?

Probably not right away, but eventually.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I just logged into my Chase Finance account to pay my car loan and there is a payment that says "Pri Payment" for $946, which is several times what my monthly payment is, it also says that $946 went to the principle and $0 went to interest.

I didn't make a $946 payment, anyone know what pri payment means?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

tarepanda posted:

pri payment means principal payment, which means you put your payment toward decreasing the actual amount owed, which will reduce the amount of interest in the future, but didn't pay off interest accrued so far.

That makes sense. I never made a $946 payment however, so any idea where that would have came from? Also, how do you make a principal payment as opposed to a normal payment?

Edit: Looks like I am retarded and I paid my payment twice this month without realizing it. That still doesn't add up to $946 but I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 30, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Can anyone help me identify the photo on the right. A creative director is trying to pass both of these off as original works, and the one on the left is definitely Dali so I figure the one on the right has to be a copy too:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

While the one on the left is probably inspired by/derivative of/ Dali, I wouldn't call it a copy. Then again, I'm not an art type, so maybe you're using a more restrictive definition of original than I'm used to.

Wrong painting;

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Why does my credit card company keep sending me cheques? What reason would I have to use cheques from a CC company? Do people actually utilize them? They must because I get at least one envelope with some cheques in it every few months.

Cash advances basically. You could write a check for say, your mortgage. Then you pay the cash advance APR, which is probably ludicrous.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Quick backstory, I work for a $300m/year company with between 150-200 employees. The company is owned by one man and he is generally level headed but sometimes (often) he takes his personal life into work and makes everyones life a living hell basically until he feels better.

A series of small issues have been going on at our warehouse for as long as I have worked here (just over a year) and yesterday I got a phone call from the owner at about 8pm. He proceeded to literally yell at me for the better part of thirty minutes, not even giving me a chance to defend myself or even get a word in. For the majority of the "conversation" he just belittled me with comments like "You think I couldn't replace you with a high school kid for $12 an hour" and other bullshit like that, obviously stated to do nothing more than make me feel like my contributions to the company are essentially worthless. His comment that really got to me and the reason for this post is when he said, "You seriously need medication and therapy."

This is completely out of line, correct? Regardless if I need those things, which I currently do both, it isn't his place or even his right to tell me. Our HR department is one lady, whom he has been friends with for nearly two decades and I know anything I say to her will not only get back to him within minutes, but also to everyone else in corporate. Do I just let it go and deal with his bi-weekly freakouts or is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again?

Sorry for the long post.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Sadly (for me,) it seems that everything you guys said is correct. We have an attorney that works full time for us so me hiring my own attorney for any reason will be essentially the same as me throwing my money (and my job) in the garbage.

I suppose its time to find a new job. Lucky for me my company is very well known in my area and most people already know about the questionable business practices of the company and the owner.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Rest assured, any time someone tells you something like this (the less shitheaded phrasing is something like "you should be grateful you have this job at all in this economy") they are loving you in the rear end as hard as they possibly can. Not only is it time to find a new job (also stop answering calls from work after hours unless you have some kind of on-call responsibility), but you'll probably find a much better paying one.

Yeah, I can see that. I do make $60k a year so I am 99% sure that he was saying that just to get under my skin because he knows I take pride in the quality of my work, and my job in general. My current mission is to just find another job and resign before he fires me just because he is having a bad day or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Is there a thread that deals with traffic violations or automobile accidents? Somewhere I can ask an attorney or an Armchair Attorney a few questions?