Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm looking for the name for a type of music.

It's kind of like a saloon/burlesque/silent movie happy piano sounding type of music.

It sounds kind of like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ

Anyone know what I should be googling?

Ragtime or Dixieland jazz. Look into Scott Joplin and similar artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcznaE2BDz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWsKGhPi5I

Binowru fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Are there any legal hoops to jump through if a band wants to put a cover song on their CD? Like, does Led Zeppelin get a cut of the profits for every band that's recorded a version of "Whole Lotta Love"?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Thanks for the great info, guys.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

the posted:

I don't.

I guess what I'm talking about is this:

1. Click on your profile picture. It should take you to your gallery of all of your profile pictures.

2. Click on one of the pictures in that gallery.

3. There used to be an option, when viewing that picture, to "Make profile picture." I don't see that anymore with this new image viewing interface they have.

What new image interface do you mean? Like how all pictures in an album are displayed as thumbnails on one page, instead of being separated into multiple pages with like 20 pics per page? I have that too, but I still see the "Make profile picture" option when I click an individual pic. :confused:

edit: VVVVV Weird. Nope, don't have that yet.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 8, 2010

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

helsabot posted:

What's the difference between buying something 'fulfilled by amazon', but sold by a third party, and buying something from amazon.com? Would the order come from the same place regardless of the seller you choose?

The main difference I care about is that items sold "fulfilled by Amazon" don't usually get free shipping on orders over $25.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Weltlich posted:

A forums catchphrase related question:

When did the "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD" catchphrase come into use? Was there a specific thread that got it running, or was it just one of those things that people were saying one day with no real genesis?

It came from a Helldump thread about a goon named Kuuenbu, who shouted the catchphrase while DJing GBS-FM. You can hear the whole thing on YouTube, with the phrase in question being uttered around 2:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Is there a verb in the English language that means "to make something exciting"?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

nimh posted:

If you get banned do you lose your platinum access too? (if you renew)

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you lose everything, including your avatar if you bought one. I believe the only thing you get to keep is Archives access.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Say someone gets convicted of some crime and are ordered to pay $1 million.

If they then go and kill themselves after the conviction is it correct that their estate would still be liable to pay that sum (if that is possible)?

They could just declare bankruptcy instead of killing themselves, or I suppose their estate could too.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

My 6 year old loves mspaint and we have about $50 more to spend on her for christmas.

I'm thinking about a drawing tablet, I had an atari one when I was a kid and it was great but I don't know anything about modern ones. All I've seen online are pressure sensitive and mostly expensive, we won't need that for mspaint.

How does it work anyway? You just use it as the mouse? Use the pen to select another mspaint tool or click file/save?

I saw a couple for 40-50 on newegg (genius brand) but wasn't sure they'd do what we wanted. plus the pen needs batteries and that kinda sucks.

Would there be something any type of stick/stylus/retracted ballpoint would work with? Any suggestions?

The $50 genius one was pressure sensitive which makes me think something that isn't (like my old atari one) would be even cheaper if I knew what to search for.

Do you have a Nintendo Wii? If so there's a game called uDraw Studio that uses a special drawing tablet: http://www.amazon.com/uDraw-Studio-Game-Tablet-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ZTTCBQ

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I spilled some soda on my keyboard and now a few keys don't work. Can I fix it without taking it in for repair?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Loopyface posted:

Have you taken the keys off and cleaned it yet?

Forgot to mention its a Macbook Pro. Not sure I could without breaking something.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Binowru posted:

I spilled some soda on my keyboard and now a few keys don't work. Can I fix it without taking it in for repair?

For the record: No, I can't. :(

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Eyeball posted:

Did you try rubbing alcohol, Binowru?

Even if I were to try that, I broke the little plastic clips on the underside of the keys when I removed them, so I can't put them back on. I've already bought a USB keyboard, so this should be enough of a fix until I buy my next computer. Thanks anyway for the advice.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

AhhYes posted:

Has anyone else received a "pop-up" ad on the forums today? I had one and it was the first time that's ever happened here. It slid down the screen and asked if I'd like to take a survey.

I politely declined.

I hope this isn't going to become even remotely standard.

No it isn't. You should let them know in the Questions, Comments and Suggestions forum

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

There was a website full of stupid jokes that used to get linked from here, written by someone from SA. I want to say it featured a lot of IRC logs, and other similarly geeky humor. It seems like it was always linked in tell me a nerd joke threads.

Given that remarkably vague description, anyone want to tell me what it was?

http://www.bash.org/ ?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

When did you (whoever wants to answer who is not a marijuana smoker) first become aware of 4:20 as a codeword for smoking marijuana?

I first noticed it about 7 years ago.

Freshman year of high school, 1999. Someone had scratched "420" into a desk and the teacher gave us a lecture about it. I had no idea what it was at the time and found the whole thing very amusing.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Cornflake posted:

I think my reading comprehension is failing me and I need someone to explain something to me.

I'm reading this article which says that Governor Jerry Brown of California is going to raise taxes, but in the second paragraph it says that hes just going to extend the already existing taxes. How is this a raise? This is the article in question: http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_17056188?nclick_check=1 second paragraph.

I could be wrong but here's how I read it: If Brown had not been elected, those taxes would have expired. But because Brown is extending them, California taxpayers have to accept paying higher taxes under Brown than they would have otherwise paid.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

OnFire posted:

Okay I just booted up my account again after a sojourn from SA forums.

My question is what happened to BYOB?

Welcome back. BYOB, LF and YCS can now all be found in the Retarded Forum for Assholes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=251

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

I have a few boxes full of magazines from around the early 2000's sitting in my closet. Most of them are Rolling Stone, along with some car magazines. I haven't gone through them in years, so I don't exactly know what's there.

Is there even a market for magazines of this vintage? Like, Rolling Stone's with interviews with Limp Bizkit and poo poo.

I'm planning on going looking through all of these soon, and I really don't want to hang on to them anymore.

I don't know if you can get any money for it, but a public library may be interested in them.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

dokmo posted:

You want this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1840176

I like imgur.com

Do most goons not use Waffle Images anymore? If not, why not?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Simpsons is definitely one of my picks for the best TV shows ever made, but just last night I was thinking and realized that I haven't seen about half of the episodes, which is to say, seasons 13 to...whatever they are up to now? 23? No one I know has either, family, friends and so on, all kinda drifted away from watching it regularly at about the same time I did.

What is the second half of the Simpsons like?

Watch The Simpsons Movie. I think it's safe to say whatever your opinion of it is will be your opinion of the current Simpsons eps.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

You might want to try asking in the Science, Academics and Philosophy forum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=162

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

wigtrade.cc posted:

Hey does anyone remember those patterns on the back of cereal boxes that usually just looked like a lot of random noise until you put on these special glasses which would reveal the hidden words?

Yep. I don't know the name for it, but one of my favorite board games, Outburst, uses the same thing.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

roads posted:

Related kinda, what about those old cereal box image things where it looked like a pattern of something (like a bunch of dolphins jumping or some random bs) but if you dilate your eyes or look at it somehow it looks like something else? They didn't require glasses

I never was able to figure those things out and I'd like to redeem myself :(

I believe those are commonly called "Magic Eye" images. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_f8ayQQx4I

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I don't know any of the lyrics (otherwise I could just use Google) - what's the song that plays in Silence of the Lambs in the scene with the transvestite serial killer (he kept women in a pit until they lost enough weight, than killed them and used their loose skin for clothing).

"Goodbye Horses" by Q Lazzarus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNFCimKlpoQ

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

The Peyote Prophet posted:

Is there any christian anime?

I do not mean christian CARTOONS I mean anime. I have a weakness for anime but my mom said its evil :/ But if I can find a christian one she will let me watch it?

The only one I know of is Superbook but that is intended for a very young audience. I would try convincing your mom that Neon Genesis Evangelion is a Christian allegory, which wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

redreader posted:

My question is about USA and 'freedom of speech'. As far as I can tell, the only difference between USA and other first world countries is that some speech is classified 'hate speech' in other countries, that you can say in the USA. WBC would not be legal in most first world countries. Is that the only difference? I mean, you can say you 'loving hate the queen' or whatever in the UK and I don't think it's illegal, is it?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Laws concerning hate speech outside of obscenity, defamation and incitement to riot are illegal in the United States.[36][37][38] The United States federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech.[39] Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent.[40] This strict standard prevents prosecution of many cases of incitement, including prosecution of those advocating violent opposition to the government, and those exhorting violence against racial, ethnic, or gender minorities.[41]

So basically, in the US, hate speech is legal, but defamation, obscenity and incitement to riot are not; but even then, it's up to a judge to determine if the speech in question fits one of those categories or not. There aren't any pre-determined words or groups of words that are illegal in every case.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Dudebro posted:

He's not just talking about that but also how facial structure affects your personality and life. How being born on certain day and hour affects the kind of person you are like your personality traits and weaknesses. How certain sides of your house are bad luck because of the cardinal direction it faces and this varies year by year. Palm and face reading, etc.

I have a hard time believing this would be accurate for every single person although I had a personalized"life chart" and it seems somewhat accurate. this was just based on my birth date and time. But what if you induce birth?

Yes it's all bullshit. The part in bold is Astrology, which everyone knows is nonsense. Do you seriously think that if your parents had had sex a month earlier, you'd be a totally different person?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp2Zqk8vHw

vvv I was looking for some kind of "critical thinking" video to put in my post, but yours clearly blows mine out of the water. Definitely watch that, Dudebro.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 7, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of free online resources to go learn about the very basics of music theory? Like how to read sheet music and scales and all that. In particular with regard to piano if it matters.

I've used this site before and it's pretty good: https://www.musictheory.net

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some words that are the opposite of snob? Specifically, I'm looking for words that mean "won't try fancy things," not neutral words like "humble" or "down to Earth."

philistine, simpleton, luddite

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

On this: Why exactly aren't viruses considered living things? I'm a biologist and I've never even heard a good reason for this. The only thing close to a justification I've heard was that viruses don't contain a functional cell.

But why should we define life as the presence of a functional cell when viruses have working, replicating RNA? Why can't the presence of replicating nucleic acids be the definition of life?

I'm not a biologist, so take that as you will, but I thought part of it also was that viruses can't reproduce on their own -- they have to take over healthy cells.

vvvvvvv Well, all other parasites are made of cells, aren't they? :colbert: (I don't know)

Binowru fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 20, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Drimble Wedge posted:

I just had a job interview today (office-type job), and one of the questions I was asked was "What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something which you knew was very much against company policy?" I refrained from the obvious goony answer of "joining in if it looks like fun" :black101: and replied that I would talk to them to see if they were aware of what they were doing, and then notify a manager if they persisted. Question: was that a decent answer? What are they looking for when they ask that?

I've had job recruiters tell me that sometimes employers ask questions like this just to see how you answer it. They don't so much care about the actual answer you give, but they look to see if you get flustered or nervous. If you kept your cool when you answered, you probably did fine.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I got a traffic ticket in February, and I keep trying to register for online traffic school, but it keeps saying "Citation not found." My court date is coming up in early April so I'm wondering what my other options are (trying to avoid going to court as much as possible, obviously). Why the heck is the site not finding my citation? This is in Los Angeles if that matters.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Elijya posted:

Sometimes in tv and movies you hear the dialogue "You're fired." "You can't fire me. I quit!"

What, if any, are the technical differences between what happens when you're fired and when you quit? Like if you knew you were going to be fired in a short time anyway, what are the pros/cons of quitting first? Or making the above statement. I've only been let go once and only quit once but I honestly don't know the difference. I think I've heard you can collect unemployment if you're fired but not if you quit. Does quitting look better when you interview for your next job? I'm sure the accounting department uses different terminology when talking about a former employee who was "terminated", but is their separate paperwork they have to file for them? Or is it treated the same?

In California at least, you can't collect unemployment if you're fired or if you quit. You have to be laid off (i.e. your company downsizes or is otherwise forced to let you go) to collect unemployment.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Do Americans tend to have more of a selection of international cuisine than most other countries? In, say, South Korea, I can't imagine being able to as easily head over to an Italian restaurant, but here I can easily go get some Korean food or Italian food or a dozen other options. I imagine it's just as easy in a good chunk of the Western world as well, but what about the rest of the world?

A lot of this has to do with the large number of immigrants the USA has had from so many different places over the centuries.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

It looks like they took the astronaut from this image and colored it pink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Astronaut-EVA.jpg

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Is it possible to get car insurance just for the weekend for a rented car in California?

I know zipcar and enterprise do it, but they are already all booked up. Hertz doesn't offer insurance :(

I am 22 years of age and have a clean driving record.

Don't you have to be 25 to rent a car in California?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

In some old-timey restaurants or bars, you'll see a painting on the wall that'll have a streetlamp or a car in it, and there'll be a tiny lightbulb embedded in the artwork that'll actually light up the lamp or car light or whatever. What's this type of artwork/decoration called? Do they sell those online anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Binowru posted:

In some old-timey restaurants or bars, you'll see a painting on the wall that'll have a streetlamp or a car in it, and there'll be a tiny lightbulb embedded in the artwork that'll actually light up the lamp or car light or whatever. What's this type of artwork/decoration called? Do they sell those online anywhere?

Anyone?