Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there some nerd website that grades or tests the ridiculous designs of fictional (melee) weapons? I'm sure there must be, but I can't seem to find to google combination that doesn't bring up special effects tests, video game demos or similar. Some, like that Klingon sword or Riddick's Ulaks, look a little unwieldy but possibly effective, but others, like anything from a JRPG, look impossible, even with ultralight metals.

It would be awesome if there was a youtube channel that put replica weapons in the hands of actual weapons masters and had them point out flaws or strengths.

:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Dudebro posted:

How do some uploaders on youtube have some picture (usually something sexually provocative) in the thumbnail for the video, but that image or scene is nowhere to be found in the video?

They insert into one frame a still image of their choosing. They pick the frame that youtube automatically selects for thumbnailing.

EDIT: Looks like it changed. Now you have to be a partner?

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 3, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

What's a good (free) screen capture/keylogging program/wordprocessor that can play back keyboard input in real/.5x/2x/etc. time?

Something like Fuzzmail, but ideally with formatting and editing features and ability to run locally.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Very Strange Things posted:

I thought it was something I just was ... failing to grasp. (puts on sunglasses, yeah, etc.)

Q:
If I call an Irishman a Mick is that a good-natured racial slur or actually offensive? We're not good friends, just drinking buddies and he's engaged to a close friend of mine. He's not very sensitive or PC.

You will never be able to give us enough information to tell you it's okay to call someone a racial slur. I'm not saying that close friends can't push boundries and have it be cool (friends call me a mic-spic because of an Irish/Mexican heritage), but without actually knowing you or he it's impossible to give you good advice. Let alone you never know who will overhear it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

A couple years ago I found a mod for Oblivion on the forums which was basically a joke book of spells which would break your game hilariously. There was one that would summon a horse 50 feet over the target, which would then whinny and crush them. One made everyone naked. Another turned people into giants, or midgets, or sheep (even essential NPC characters). Where can I find this?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

beef express posted:

That was Hilarity.

Yesssss. Thank you.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

isoprenaline posted:

In what work did Bentham write ''the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people''?

Or was it Mill?

Can only find the quote ("greatest Happiness for the greatest Numbers") in Francis Hutcheson's An Inquiry into the Original of Our Ideas of Beauty and Virtue [1726]

http://oll.libertyfund.org/?option=com_staticxt&staticfile=show.php%3Ftitle=858&chapter=65996&layout=html

Intro says he coined the phrase. Felicific calculus rules.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 9, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Childlike Empress posted:

How do independent psychics make money? You know, the people with a neon sign out front that reads "TAROT READING / $10." I'm sure there are certain crazy customers who consult these types before every major decision, but when I'm out driving in the sticks I see at least 2-3 psychic services in each small town. I have no idea how they actually make enough to pay the mortgage. Are they selling drugs or trafficking in prostitutes on the side or something?

Disclaimer: I'm a misanthropic skeptic.

Besides other businesses, online and vanilla, psychics have a number of scams they run on people who seem to be good marks, the most common is charging the $10 for a reading and then discovering a dangerous curse that they charge $$$ to remove "because of the spiritual drain and risks involved."

Even more often they establish a rapport with a client who sees them regularly, like an analyst. Since they are great at cold reading this can actually help some people, but I still believe it to be unethical.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Tostito posted:

My roommate left boiling water in a pot with the stove on overnight. The pot is now burned on the inside and out after all of the water evaporated. Is the pot still safe to use? It is NOT a teflon coated non-stick pot...just a cheap metal pot.

You can get a cheap metal pot for $2 at Goodwill/St. Vincent's/Salvation Army/Thrift Store of Choice, not to mention any department store for $10. It is not worth risking out of laziness/thriftiness because some jerk on the internet says "sure should be fine".

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I recently saw a quote that basically said "Do what you are best at, even if you are not the best at what you do". Something about utilizing your talents. It is NOT the Franklin quote "Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?"

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Arriviste posted:

Sounds to me like it could be a Zig Ziglar quote.

I don't think that was it, but as I can't remember even part of a phrase I'm not exactly helpful.

I thought it would be a funny quote to hang in a doctor's office.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

What are the recidivism rates for forum probations/bans? Anytime I click on someone's ban history they either have none or 3 or more probations/bans. I have only seen someone with just one probation twice.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Are police firearms holstered cocked and ready to fire, with just the safety on?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Schweinhund posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say they're not cocked

I didn't think so, but I'd imagine they'd want to be as ready to fire as was safe/feasible.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

hooah posted:

I recently took a security augmentation force class, and at least for Marine MPs, pistols are loaded, with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. Shotguns have a full magazine, but no round in the chamber. Safety's still on.

Thanks. I should have asked "How many steps between holstered and firing does a police officer service weapon require?"

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a way to search Amazon by book dimensions? (For crafty purposes; gadget cases, booksafes, invisible bookshelves, etc.)

Edit: I know I can type exact dimensions and search via Google, but I kind of want "fuzzy" dimensions. For example: ~6.5 x ~5 x ~ .5 inches.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 19, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sanford posted:

My girlfriend really wants one of these Stainless Steel Sharpies but there are no European stockists for them. The only site I can find that will ship to the UK charges $90 for doing so. Is there a service (on these forums or elsewhere) where I could get someone to buy and ship one for me, then just Paypal them their costs + a bit extra for their trouble?

Normally SAMart.

I'll do it. PM me and I'll figure out the real cost of shipping, no extra charges.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

^^^Distraction due to multitasking, which people are much worse at then they think.

Why do so many people vocalize when sneezing, particularly women*? Is this an American thing only? I see no reason to engage the vocal chords when sneezing; it makes the sneezing louder and more obnoxious, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of activity one would want to draw attention to.

*Probably chauvinistic confirmation bias, but I dated a series of girls that seemed to think that they should make some ridiculous squeak noise when sneezing. A female coworker hells out in a high pitch voice when sneezing and it sounds painful. Thankfully, my wife just sneezes normally.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Mister Roboto posted:

What's the term for arguments that use absurd logic?

For example: Cutting off your toes is a 100% cure for toenail infections. However, that's a ridiculous extreme, even if it is technically true.

I know there's a specific word for it, but I just can't find it. Absurd logic doesn't fit. Extremism doesn't fit. Illogical extreme doesn't fit.

Anyone know the term for that sort of logic?

Reductio ad absurdum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

It's my favorite way to argue about trivialities with friends.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Wagonburner posted:

My 6 year old loves mspaint and we have about $50 more to spend on her for christmas.

I'm thinking about a drawing tablet, I had an atari one when I was a kid and it was great but I don't know anything about modern ones. All I've seen online are pressure sensitive and mostly expensive, we won't need that for mspaint.

How does it work anyway? You just use it as the mouse? Use the pen to select another mspaint tool or click file/save?

I saw a couple for 40-50 on newegg (genius brand) but wasn't sure they'd do what we wanted. plus the pen needs batteries and that kinda sucks.

Would there be something any type of stick/stylus/retracted ballpoint would work with? Any suggestions?

The $50 genius one was pressure sensitive which makes me think something that isn't (like my old atari one) would be even cheaper if I knew what to search for.

PM me your address and I'll mail this to you if you want. No box, but free, works and the drivers are online.

Click here for the full 484x648 image.

I'm the loving SA questions Christmas elf.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a way to globally change the tenses in a document from Future to Past easily? My wife is in a grad class and they made all of the students change the first draft of their documents to future tense because their projects weren't done yet. Now that the projects are done, their making them change back to past tense.

She can't just revert because there were edits made in the interim.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thanks. I was pretty sure the answer was no, since English is a tricky bitch, but hope springs eternal. Now to fetch her a glass of wine and a sympathetic hug. Only ~50 pages to go...

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a tumblr blog or something that just lists the body/kill counts of fictional characters? I'm curious to see the ridiculous >1,000 kills Sam Fisher has gotten in all the games if all enemies are taken out (excepting those that spawn indefinitely or would cause a mission or objective failure). Or Dexter Morgan.

"If I don't stop them, thousands will die." (Proceeds to kill thousands in an effort to stop "them".)

If not, there may be another website I can set up and promptly abandon.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

It was Cat Schwartz from TechTV.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Does anyone know of an article, scientific or otherwise, that explains why people become so fanatical and angrily defensive of an item or platform (e.g. iPhone/Android, 360/PS3/Wii, Windows/MacOS/Linux)? Is it some kind of ancient "band together as a tribe" thing? Is it the same thing that makes people rabid sports fans (which I also do not understand)?

The eReader thread is becoming broken with Kindle/Nook/iPad fighting and all I want to do is talk about how cool it is to live in a vaguely 80s cyberpunk future where I can slip a library into my pocket and every normal thing gets prepended with an "e".

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I found some decently interesting articles here and here. Google "consumer fanaticism" for more.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

How do you cite, APA style, a direct quotation or popular quotation

"I would like to recapture that freshness of vision which is characteristic of extreme youth when all the world is new to it."
-Henri Matisse

From here: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henri_matisse.html

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm assuming this is something that I can't easily remedy after the fact? (external/USB HDD, mapped drives, etc)

E: I'm only asking because I found an great deal with 4gb + kinect and other stuff, of course it's not such a great deal if I'm boned on space in a month

This is your best option if you or someone you know is slightly tech savvy:

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/xbox-360-guides/3152-xbox-360-how-hack-250gb-sata-drive-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html

A LOT cheaper. Just make sure you don't go crazy and buy a huge drive, the max the 360 will currently recognize is 250gb.

Also, there is no noticeable benefit to buying the WD Black over the Blue.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 16, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Where can I find some pictures online of a Jian (mythical bird)? I'm sure my monolingualism is limiting my search abilities; all I can find variations of this one sentence on multiple sites:
A mythical bird supposed to have only one eye and one wing: 鶼鶼 a pair of such birds dependent on each other, inseparable, hence, represent husband and wife.

The only other things are pictures of adorable old Chinese couples, and this picture:

I'm hoping to find a picture of an old painting or illustration.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 17, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

wheres my arm posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on Etymology? I want to learn more about word origins but would rather avoid a dictionary.

The Cambridge Encyclopedias of Language and The English Language by David Crystal are good for layman linguists.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Encyclopedia-Language-David-Crystal/dp/0521736501/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...CJ7D1V1QD6H48BJ

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Now I want there to be a linguist version of "Drunk History" where a linguist flips through the book, cusses angrily at the error s/he finds and takes a shot. Repeat until fade to black (figuratively and literally). Best new youtube series ever.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is the term "Aussie" offensive when used by an American to describe something Australian ("Aussie hotels")? Or is it seen as obnoxious or an affectation? (I like using "Cheers" to close out emails and the word "wanker", but some online style guide said that they would be annoying when used by a non-British person.)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Can someone tell me what Ricky Gervais said at the Golden Globes that was that bad? I only watched bits and pieces of it but from what I saw, he didn't say anything that was out of the ordinary for a comedian host... I can't seem to find any online news that give any quotes and instead just say stuff like HIS OUTRAGEOUS performance OUTRAGED TONS OF PEOPLE -- without giving direct references.

This article has quotes and covers most of it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1347874/Golden-Globes-2011-Ricky-Gervais-makes-gay-jibe-famous-Scientologist-actors.html

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I just spent 10 minutes searching the internet to see when Kevin Smith's daughter died because I misunderstood something he said on the Nerdist podcast. Referencing when he saw a movie he said "it was when my kid was alive". I took that to mean she had passed away, but apparently he meant "after she was born".

Is this a regional turn of phrase, or would anyone else think this is a strange way to say it?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Peyote Prophet posted:

What does it mean when a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds?

Yeah, it's a stupid question, but in one of those teen magazines it said that if a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds it mean he likes you.

Forget everything you ever read in a teen magazine. There simply isn't enough information here to tell you what it means; body language can convey a lot of information, but the direction the eyes are pointing is just a fragment of it. You may as well have chosen a random word from a paragraph and asked us what the author was writing about.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Peyote Prophet posted:

But I really like this boy. He looks at me quite alot, I think he likes me. He has an ex-girlfriend, though, and I'm scared that I might get in problems with her. Nobody really likes her, including me. What should I do?

If you like him just go up and loving ask him out. Yes, it will be the scariest thing ever in the world oh my god I could just die. But it is the only way to know you terrible coward.

Seriously, I have stories of asking chicks out and failing horribly and they're hilarious. Sucked at the time, but I don't regret any of them at all.

I don't tell stories about the pretty chicks who I was afraid of, who may have liked me but I never even got up the nerve to talk to. Because that isn't funny, just depressing. Even though I'm happily married, I still very very much regret every risk I DID NOT take.

You ask him out and you have two possible outcomes:
1) He says no. You don't go out. FAILURE
2) He says yes. You go out. SUCCESS

Right now your only option is:
1) You don't ask him out. FAILURE

Or you could just wait for him to ask you out. Meanwhile I just wait for my job to give me a raise without requesting it, wait for my friends to call me without me calling them and wait for my body to magically get in shape without exercising.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I got my wife a Citizen EcoDrive. The face is a solar cell, so the battery never needs changing as long as you show it some light every three days or so. She's clumsy and while the watch looks like it has been worn, it's pretty sturdy and still looks nice. They run about $200 and can normally be gotten at that price or cheaper at Overstock.com or chronoshark.com.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Womens-Stainless-Steel-Watch/3858356/product.html

Currently $139. There are other EcoDrive models as well out there if this one doesn't suit your fancy.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Just avoid the issue and get a pot gripper.

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Country-POT-GRIPPER/dp/B000696D74

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Kitsch! posted:

Does the "C" in this image have any sort of specific typeface name or style? Trying to re-create an "N" that looks similar and looking for other examples.

http://www.ruionline.net/Images/cala_logo.gif

It's a decorated initial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial

Also look at illuminated manuscipts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminated_manuscript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

They can also be used as hamburger patties, to surprisingly good effect.