Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Free LogMeIn.com and dropbox helps me work from home and get files from home when I'm at work. Not sure what you're asking. Dropbox is free anyway, so what's the risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

kapalama posted:

There are always clever ways of using new tools. People talk about DropBox as if it is a new sort of tool, so I'd like people who use it in clever ways to make me clever too.

Another thing is to set up a folder within dropbox that uTorrent automatically loads torrents from. You can upload torrents to this folder from anywhere and your home computer will automatically start downloads.

Dropbox also tracks versions and deletions (free version for a limited amount of time). You can kind of cheat the system if you have to by uploading and deleting files. I have 3.5 gbs free now, so I don't need to anymore, but I had to twice when I started out to transfer a database from home to work (zipped it into two files) at home before I had logmein, uploaded and deleted one, uploaded the other. Downloaded the second at work, deleted it, restored and downloaded the first).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Why are file cabinets so expensive?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a userscript or Chrome extension that would automatically load the story source if a Gawker post was clicked on? In other words, I click on a Kotaku post in my reader with a blurb that says "From Maximum PC" or "Via Valve's Development Blog", with both of those being links to the source, and the extension automatically clicks those to load the source?

Not sure that made sense, or, if it did, if it is possible.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

fishmech posted:

That is probably possible but would probably be a bit complicated. It would have to load the Gawker/Kotaku/etc post first to find the article to go to, but you might be able to get something that does it out of the folks in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898 or http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2946571

Thanks, I had forgotten about the tiny app thread. I'll post back here if anything comes of it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ridonkulous posted:

What's the name of a psychological phenomenon where after hearing something we hear it more often in common use.
Say I explained The Nothern Lights are also called Aurora Borialis, and in the next week or so you hear Aurora Borialis a couple of time.

I've actually been sitting on this question because I could not think of how to ask it and Micronium's use of "psychological phenomenon" works great.

Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is bandied about in this thread every ten pages or so, but Synchronicity and Recency Effect also apply.

My question: Is there a way in iTunes to make a smart playlist based on the number of songs by the artist (or other windows-compatible media player with exportable playlists)?

I have quite a few songs that are the only songs in my library by that artist, either due to them being from movie soundtracks, misspellings or random grabs from free offers via iTunes, amazon, the artist website, whatever. Being able to search "[Artist Match Count] [is less than] [3]" would be a boon.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ridonkulous posted:

ask here they know a lot about smartplay lists

Thanks. Kept searching myself and found Magic Nodes for mediamonkey. It's basically the best "smart playlist" thing I've ever seen. "Artist with 5 or fewer songs" was one of the demo nodes. Exported an m3u and imported back into itunes.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Power of Pecota posted:

Okay, this is a really dumb question. For my 20th century lit class, one little thing we had to do for the next class was to find what two obscure allusions were in a quote (it's from The Sun Also Rises and like ten seconds of googling turns up that it refers to Portrait of a Lady and The Jew of Malta).

Before online search engines, how would somebody find what something like that alludes to? Would you have to just find a book analyzing The Sun Also Rises and hope they address that?

You could go to a library (!) and look at an edition that was annotated or had pages half-filled with footnotes breaking down every sentence or pour through these giant rear end books that were dictionaries of allusions/symbolism/etc. If you think typing the right Google Search term is hard, try finding with the one, exact phrase a literary historian 50 years ago thought was appropriate in densely-packed pages of 6 pt. font.

I have a couple of these because they're great to flip through; turn to "Knot" read a paragraph on the Gordian knot, on the origin of "stomach in knots", on the importance of knots to sailors.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 6, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Power of Pecota posted:

Thanks, an annotated edition makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Just to clarify I wouldn't say that googling the right term is hard at all, like I said it took about ten seconds to get both, I just realized that I had no idea what to do if I couldn't use the internet to find it. Also, I had no idea dictionaries of symbolism existed, those sound absurd.

Googling isn't an issue when it comes to exact quotes for popular works, but if you're trying to find something more obscure, especially when the allusion is layered or cloaked in metaphor (especially mixed metaphor) it can get pretty fiddly.

Imagine if you had to do a critical analysis of a peer's paper and they had made a witty--but also incredibly dense--allusion to both Noah's Ark in the great flood and the Falklands War via Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Does anyone know where I could get the astronaut pic in this image:

My wife found it here:
http://www.jenniferdelonge.com/styleguide/?func=styleguide&var1=&var2=&var3=&var4=&var5=&var6=&var7=&var8=

but it's not in their store.

Tried cropping it and searching tineye, and then searching "pink astronaut print" "pop art astronaut", but no luck.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Are there other sports/games like golf that have a non-infinite "top" score that has never been reached?

I.E. you can theoretically get a minimum of 18 by getting 18 hole in ones, but it will probably never happen.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Two related questions and one hideously unrelated.

1. What are some good sites for quality art prints from current artists? I've bookmarked inPRNT, Society6, Gallery Nucleus and, of course I peruse SAMart for art religiously (I've bought 4 or 5 pieces there).

Despite finding and buying two Jasinski prints on deviantArt, wading through all the crap can be a chore. And yes, I have very little blank space on my walls.

2. Is there a thread somewhere here to suggest artists based on other artists you like?

Unrelated:

3. When interviewing someone they seem to legitimately like, or appear to be real friends with, talk show hosts will sometimes derail into personal anecdotes or questions that, while interesting, make it seem like they only see the guest every other year during an on-air interview. Is this an act, or are, say, Jon Stewart and Paul Rudd both so busy they really only see each other for 15 minutes every couple years? I can only think that what free time they have (as more mature celebrities who don't party constantly) is spent with family as far from cameras as possible.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

change my name posted:

Allposters has a lot of variety and the framing options aren't bad. It might seem a little expensive but they run deals almost every day (last week was 30% off everything, this week it's 20)

I'll probably grab some Hopper or Schiele from them, but I'm talking more about new/current artist discovery. My tastes are to broad (unrefined I guess you could say) to stick to a blog etc. that's just modern, expressionist, cartoon, etc.

http://blog.drawn.ca/ is another I follow, but doesn't always lead to "you can buy this and clutter your walls more you hoarder".

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Elijya posted:

I'd actually be very interested in seeing your walls if you have any pictures. I just got done with a big project myself yesterday where I spent hours on a ladder hanging 15 pieces I'm very excited about.

Might start an art recommendation thread in CC if I can okay it with the mods there. Maybe. After a year with an average of 1.08 posts per day I'm up to 1.09 and that's just too much.

I'll take some pictures and PM you (Most are prints, although I do want to buy more original works once I get a house).

Or you could make a "post your art walls" thread.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Mortley posted:

I read about high quality, not-for-credit online university courses on this blog, I think. It wasn't a university's web site, but rather a business that was geared toward selling non-credit online classes, I think accumulated from various universities. I've tried searching that and Google and not had any luck. Does anybody know what I might be thinking of?

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/

(also known as "The Teaching Company")

They are pretty awesome. I did Machiavelli in Context, very interesting. Top professors/experts in their field lecturing.

Mentioned in this post:
http://www.theweinerworks.com/?p=147

Also check out iTunes U; they have courses from MIT and others that are pretty good.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jeffrey Colon posted:

My girlfriend is looking to make prints of her sketches and paintings so she can give them to friends/ is considering selling them. What is the best and most cost effective way of scanning and printing them? Quality is also a pretty big deal because she doesn't want to end up selling grainy or blurry prints.

I've bought stuff from http://www.inprnt.com/ before. As a customer the quality and packaging were excellent. Maybe she can check them out? She would have to pass the muster though.

http://www.inprnt.com/faq/#submit_work

Flickr also has print options I think, and there's also zazzle and cafepress.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Good Citizen posted:

I'm just worried that their Super Soaker might outrange mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated/dp/B000071NUS

Don't forget to turn it off in the morning.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bojanglesworth posted:

I need to make a emailed newsletter of sorts. Basically something I can send out to all of my subscribers each month or so. Does anyone have a recommendation on the smoothest way to do this?

Depends on how many and if it's text or html.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bojanglesworth posted:

HTML and hundreds, eventually into the thousands.

You will have to sign up for a mass/newsletter emailing service or you will get blacklisted as a spammer by various ISPs. This will cost money, but there are a variety of packages and companies out there depending on the purpose.

Is this a personal/entertainment/blog sort of thing, or part of your business? For profit or non? Marketing materials, information for subscribers, etc. etc.

And you will want reliable webhosting for the images, especially to see who actually opens the email but doesn't click through.

This may not be a "small" question.

FWIW, my office uses Informz, but I have no idea how much our contract cost.

http://www.informz.com/

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What is that square in the upper right corner of this website and why have I been seeing it everywhere lately?

http://www.meltcomics.com/blog/

QR Code. You can take a picture of it with a smart phone and it will take you to a website, or show you a picture, or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code

Like a CueCat, but actually popular.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Small decorating question: Hanging a series of prints in my office above my desk. The drop-ceiling is not level; over the 10' on that wall it has a 1" difference in height. Due to an above the desk cabinet thing, I have to hang them ~8" from the ceiling.

Should they follow the line of the ceiling or be true-level? Either way the will clash with the line of the cabinet or the ceiling, respectively. I'm leaning towards "true-level".

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm thinking about paying for something to the tune of about $1000-3000 that I was initially going to have to pay for in cash right off the bat, out of pocket, anyway. However, there is the option of putting it on a credit card...

With that being said, if I intend to put something on a card and still pay it off instantly pretty much like I'd intended to do, is there a good credit card that would let me earn usable 'points' based on purchases that would make it worth my while to apply for it?

I love my Amazon Chase card.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Barometer posted:

I didn't see anyone answer you, so my opinion is yes, go with true level.

Thanks.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

1) Is there a good <$100 solar usb charger? I know that solar tech is still somewhat limited in efficacy, but the best rated usb solar chargers on Amazon still only charge their internal batteries 50%.

2) I do not understand why you cannot leave it in the sun 2, or even 3, times as long and get it up to 100%. Can someone explain this in relatively simple terms?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Golbez posted:

I currently have an American Express with a credit limit of $2000, with $1400 on it. I intend to pay it off in the next few weeks and use it to fund a big trip. But suddenly I'm a little frightened that, just as I pay it off, they could cancel it, for whatever reason; being annoyed I paid it off, maybe, who knows. And then, I'd have nothing - the money I would have spent on the trip has disappeared. So I'm wondering if I should forego putting anything more into it for now, or if this is an entirely unfounded and irrational fear.

Secondly, that card has been hovering around its $2000 limit for about six months (but not over, at least not in the last six months), and this is the first time I've been able to drop it down under $1500. What are the odds of me being able to get a credit limit increase? :v:

I don't know about the odds, but it's bad for your credit score to utilize more than 50% of a credit line. It's bad to even go over 30% I think. They will not cancel your card for paying it off. They may cancel your card if you have no balance and don't use it for a year.

Go to http://creditkarma.com and check it out. It's a good service.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

FogHelmut posted:

What was that old Windows95 game where you basically rode around in an arena on a jet engine and shot grappling hooks at the other players to destroy them?

Rocket Jockey. Best loving soundtrack (Dick Dale!).

Golbez posted:

I'm just a little freaked since once they punished me for paying it off - I had a $2000 credit limit that I had let sit at ~$2200 for months, then finally got a new gig and paid it all off at once - at which time they promptly dropped my credit limit to $1000. No point in dropping it when I'm still above it, right?

But that was over 4 years ago. I've been over a handful of times in the last could of years but only momentarily.

My credit score is already probably really bad, so I'm not really concerned about anything making it worse at this point.

They lowered your credit limit because you went over, not because you paid it off. And you should always be working on making your credit score better; bad marks last much longer than good ones.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Golbez posted:

Yes, they lowered my limit because I was over for a while; however, they waited until I paid it off to actually lower it.

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted which part was a question.

Basically speaking, if you can pay more off your balance off and still have some safety net money, you should. There is no benefit to carrying a balance on a credit card unless you cannot afford to pay it off. Either pay $1,000 now, all at once, or pay $1,200 over several months. You will never make as much in interest with that money in a savings account as you will lose in interest owed to the CC company.

I got in pretty bad debt in college, then some more when we moved to the DC area and had to pay for stuff before I got a job. I finally got tired of it, made a budget and paid off ~$15,000 over two years, as well as paying off my wife's car a year early.

My credit score is now 740ish. While we put groceries and online purchases on a credit card to get reward points, we pay it off monthly (and the limit is $10,000, so I don't approach a bad limit:utilization ratio). The only debt we have left are government student loans, which are basically the only kind of debt that's good to have (for establishing a credit history; age of accounts is a big factor in your credit score).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

How are font licenses enforced? If a company buys a license for 1 person, how do they stop that company from just putting it on everyone's computers?

Also, how does the license work?

I was thinking of purchasing Azuro Office (specifically the italic version) to put on my hacked Kindle, but can I put it on my wife's as well? Would she be a "user" in this case (no editing) or a "customer" (covered by my license)? Can I make a banner out of the font (an image, not a woff file) for my blog no one reads?

I understand the basics of the moral reasoning (people should be paid for their work and art) but I do not understand the logistics. I can buy an mp3 once for me and my wife and play it at parties without having to pay another "license" fee, but I couldn't play it on a podcast (I think?).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

haveblue posted:

They don't, really. Software licenses that aren't enforced by central authentication servers are more or less solely enforced by random spot checks by industry watchdogs like the BSA. I don't know who's responsible for fonts but they have no way to know you put it on the hacked Kindle or that you didn't pay for the copy you used on your blog unless someone rats you out.

Thanks. I'm not trying to talk :filez:; I'm genuinely confused about whether I am legally required to buy a second license so my wife can read books in that font even if she has no access to type, design, print, etc with it. If so, I'll just find a look-a-like for free. I also don't know if the banner design would be against the license or not.

EDIT:
Looks like I can use it as I described.
"Q:Can I embed?
A: The answer usually is 'yes'."

http://help.fontshop.com/entries/227252-fontfont-end-user-license-agreement-explained

I should have delved into the help more.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 17, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thauros posted:

My rear end in a top hat cat chewed through the power adaptor for my Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive. This isn't the first time the little rear end in a top hat has destroyed a power cord, but unlike the others, this one couldn't be replaced with an aftermarket one from RadioShack. Tried searching for a replace both via Seagate and the manufacturer of the power supply without luck. Anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement?

You can't get some electrical tape or heatshrink tubing? Or maybe I'm really cheap.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Been shaving with a safety razor for years. What are the numbers on the blades for (1, 2, 3 and 4)? Is that for "four" shaveable edges?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a way to "teach" a remote using a ir transmitter connected to a Win 7 computer? The only device that I can find on amazon doesn't have updated drivers.

I have a Harmony One, but it's overly complicated for my needs. I used it to train my Marantz receiver remote and that works fine, but I don't know how I'd reprogram it if the batteries died without the Harmony One (control an XBOX 360, PS3 and LG TV which doesn't work with the code in the book).

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 8, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Torka posted:

Is there any way to give yourself hiccups deliberately?

Take a shot of hot sauce. Really hot sauce.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I have an H2 Zoom recorder and love the hell out of it. It has a 1/4" screw hole on the bottom (same as most camera tripod mounts) and I currently have it attached to a modified swivel arm desk lamp as a mic stand, which works fine, but the springs in the arm vibrate and make noise if I bump my desk.

I want to get a desktop mic stand like this: http://www.amazon.com/Stage-DS7200B-Adjustable-Microphone-Stand/dp/B0002M3OVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309442920&sr=8-1

The H2 comes with a screw in "classic" mic base that can fit mic stand clamps, but I'd rather just get a 5/8" to 1/4" thread converter so I can screw the H2 right to the stand. Unfortunately, all of the ones I can find are ~$16+ shipping for some reason. Why are they so expensive and is there somewhere I can find them cheaper?

Failing a good lead, what would be a decent price to pay someone (via SAMart) to weld a 5/8" nut to a trimmed-down 1/4" bolt? I think the 1/4" side is BSW, but the 5/8" side is UNC.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Can someone point me to a chart or graphic of a comprehensive list of polo shirt emblems and their designers/manufacturers? Every Google search I tried keeps bringing me to those "custom polo shirt logos for your small business" websites.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

brylcreem posted:

Can someone point me to the identity of a certain actress?

It seems like she acted in a film noir opposite Humphrey Bogart, but that may be totally wrong.

I have her image from a music video by Lana Del Rey, "Kinda Outta Luck". The URL is pointed to when she appears in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gg8pZYjCTM&feature=player_detailpage#t=155s

Even if you don't know the answer, you should definitely check her out!

Looks like Lauren Bacall, but it's been years since I went through my noire phase.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is calling a cheap car with lovely mods "riced out", or the person who does such a "ricer", racist?

In my experience the answer to "Is X racist?" is always yes, but the term was a sweeping generalization of Japanese cars, not people, and I don't think you can be racist against inanimate objects.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

greazeball posted:

You're stereotyping asian people and using a negative term to describe them. Imagine if someone asked you why you were wearing *black person* shoes just because they were Air Jordans. They are using your possessions to make racist stereotypes.

Makes sense. I never use the term because I'm not a car guy, but it wasn't until last week when I heard someone else use it that I went "waaait a minute". Doesn't effect my vocabulary either way, although it is distressing that its ubiquity helped it slip under my radar and confuse me the way "That's gay" did years ago, when that was just something people thoughtlessly said, whatever their feelings about gay people.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

There was a photographer a year or two ago who set up cameras on NYC street corners for a day and then used photoshop to stitch together, for example, a scene of 30 people walking by and yawning, or everyone wearing red, or all orthodox jews. Where can I find these?

Asked in request images thread, no bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Feenix posted:

Ok, what about Tequila? Anything special? Doesn't have to be the best ever, just something people don't drink much...or ever. :)

I like Corzo Anejo myself. So smooth my wife can sip it straight, no ice. And the bottle is pretty sweet too.