Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Female coworker is leaving DC for Colorado via a moving road trip with her mother.

What's a good gift idea to keep her sane in the car? She's an intelligent, mid-20's professional and this is not to be construed as a romantic gift. Barring that, I'll just get her a "Farewell" card and maybe a gas gift card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Spermando posted:

Anyone know what accent this is? Some people say it's the Virginia Piedmont dialect, but it sounds nothing like it.

Transatlantic?

http://abagond.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/transatlantic-accent/

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Lester B. Pearson posted:

That didn't sound anything like the accent in the clip he posted to. I also doubt someone with a transatlantic accent would say 'I reckon' since the link you posted says "The accent comes from American boarding schools in New England where students were taught to speak English in more of an RP or high-class British way." and the one in the video was southern of some kind.
:ohdear:

Yup, I was totally wrong. I'd been listening to a lot of Transatlantic lately (I want this accent) and didn't watch the whole clip before I had a pseudoBaader-Meinhof gut reaction.

(After listening to a dozen Discworld audiobooks in a row at a temp job years ago I started thinking in the same accent as the reader for a bit.)

I think I asked this before with no result, but is there a website that just does a quick rundown of cross-platform video games on each major platform? Just a simple PS3, 360, PC(min/max settings) table with screenshots, DLC/mods, release dates, etc? I got Portal 2 on PS3 for the free PC copy, purchase many games on 360 for very slightly better graphics, and would really like an idea of what system I should get older games on or a good guess on what I should preorder other games for.

There are a few PS3/360 screenshot/video sites out there, but I'd like a one-stop shop.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

stubblyhead posted:

I started a new job recently where I work remotely full time. For the last few weeks I've been working from home and coffee shops, but I don't want to do that permanently. Before I started I scoped out a local co-working space where I could rent space for a small fee every month and have somewhere to work, some secure storage, printing, kitchen, bathroom etc. The company that runs the place is going through some changes though and they may not continue offering the service. I've seen some ads on CL for office space to rent, but it's all out of my price range. There are some other coworking locations in the area, but part of the reason I took this job was so I wouldn't have to commute anymore. Does anyone have any ideas of where I could look? What do other remote workers typically do?

Might get a better answer if you ask in the Your City Sucks subforum for whatever thread applies to you.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Florida Betty posted:

How far do FM signals travel?

I use an FM radio transmitter to listen to my iPod in the car (yeah, I know there are better options out there but I just haven't gotten around to it). This morning the blank radio station I usually set my radio on wasn't blank, but was instead a radio station from 150 miles away (straight distance, not driving distance). What's up with this?

Lots of factors affect FM signal strength; transmitter power, power and "nearness" of other signals close to that band, topography, weather, etc., but if this is the first time this has happened in that location it might have been a lucky bit of cloud cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_and_FM_DX#Sporadic_E_propagation_.28E-skip.29

Otherwise, you can look up the station here to see if buildings or natural features funnel the signal an unusual way.

http://radio-locator.com/

Edit: In inaccurate layman terms, signals travel both in a "line of sight" way and by reflection. Clouds and atmospheric conditions can reflect the signals surprising distances sometimes, or limit them immensely.

Edit 2: If you are really curious, I work at a broadcaster's association and can ask one of our engineers, but this type of thing, while not common, is not exactly uncommon either. They could have also gotten an FM translator, which is just a signal repeater that increases their broadcast range while staying in line with FCC regulations. These require their own license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_relay_station#Radio_2

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 2, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Some months ago (April-June) I found a service that could email you based on various news or other triggers. I set it up to send messages to my phone when it was raining in DC so I'd remember to grab my umbrella (live 20 miles out).

This is the one of the messages:

Problem is that it sends an email anytime there is a weather update with the word rain in it. Also, I've forgotten the service and for some reason it doesn't have any unsubscribe or other link in the email.

Does anyone know what service this is, or should I just filter "It's Light/Heavy Rain! Get Umbrella." emails to my trash?

I remember that it was extremely easy to set up (just put in "to" and "From" email addresses, pick a premade trigger or make one, customize message). I've searched my email for those months for "verify", "log in" or "Sign Up" but found nothing.

My email address has been posted multiple times on this site so I'm not worried about that. "Products of an Idle Mind" is my website and I probably picked that as a company name, and don't have a wordpress plugin that can explain this behavior.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sizzlechest posted:

I'm looking for an abstract art piece to fit a long wall. I'm looking for something 36" high and 60" wide. It doesn't need to be continuous. For example, something like this:

What's the best places to look for stuff like this? A friend told me eBay has stuff for cheap.

I got the Zeppelin series earlier this year to cover a narrow space in my work office. Site's worth checking out at least.

http://www.inprnt.com/gallery/valerodoval/

And I really want this:

http://www.jamesjean.com/product/CBEE6F

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 18, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I was thinking something stupid and got stuck on a question.

If a circle spread out from a point on the surface of the earth by increasing it's radius 1 foot every second, how long would it take to completely cover the earth?

For simplicity, pretend the earth is a perfect sphere whose diameter is determined by the current sea level at 45* latitude if you like, but if you know the actual surface area (water level also being the surface I guess), then that's even better.

I know this sounds like a weird homework problem, but I'm a 30 year old office worker who day dreams a lot.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you're making the earth a sphere, it would just be
((circumference of earth in feet) / 2) seconds

According to wolfram alpha, then 2 years 1 month 11 hours 4 minutes 50 seconds, which isn't nearly as long as I thought it would be.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's effectively the time it would take if you were traveling from one pole to another at the rate of 1 foot/second.

Now I feel stupid (yay right thread). Why'd I make it more complicated than necessary?

Thanks for the help.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there some (easy) trick to taking a photo of a room and not having every picture on the wall look crooked when they aren't? I think I understand why it happens, I just want a simple, non-photoshop (if possible) way to fix it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

baquerd posted:

Can you post an example?

Seems to happen if you are not quite facing the picture directly.

This corkboard on my office wall has been leveled perfectly:

But a foot to the right and it gets all wonky:

I get that the "vanishing point/horizon" whatever has shifted, but it doesn't seem that off to my eyeballs.

This guy has the same promblem:

KennyG posted:

NUMERÄR, BEACH

(I promise the picture is not crooked and that it's an optic thing with the angles of the photo)

Also, I'm absolutely loving my 20 square feet of desktop. Although now I think I need bigger monitors.

I am fully prepared to accept that I am a crazy person though.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

Are you using a tripod or your hand? Getting the lens perfectly level is a lot harder than it looks.

Those are just example iphone shots, but I used the grid to line it up with the door frame. In the quoted photo the frame looks skewed in relation to the desktop; the should be parallel no matter the tilt of the camera.

Here's another example, with my phone resting on my level desk across from the level frame.

See how the left side looks perpendicular to the ground but the right side is off? It's like it's between 2 and 3-point perspective somehow.

Top down view of the relative positions, red is camera green is frame:

Side view of relative heights:

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 17, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

A while back I saw a post on either Kelly's Cool Tools, Lifehacker or similar about what amounted to professional film-industry blu tak. The post mentioned that they used it to hang heavy paintings and decorations in historic or rented properties where nails and permanent marks were a no-no.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or what this product is called? I remember that it was fairly expensive but VERY useful.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I have personally used this to hang paintings on film sets:

http://www.filmtools.com/joststclbual.html

remember, our stuff isn't permanent though, so if you intend to leave it up for a long time this isn't your solution.

That's the stuff! Thanks.

It's for hanging stuff on my office door which is plain painted, non-metallic metal.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I don't know what this non-metallic metal you speak of is, but again, it's not a permanent solution. You will at some point arrive to your office in the morning to find all your stuff on the floor. We use it because it leaves no residue or marks and is generally reliable over the course of a film shoot, which is generally less than a week if it's on location.

I meant non-magnetic. I am a moron.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Embarrassingly, I have no idea how to properly use the intersection to get onto the street where I live.

Here it is:

The four-lane divided road is very busy; my street and the subdivision across the way are less so, but during rush hour and the afternoon have a very steady stream of traffic (the southern most road has a school, and the turn lane (yellow car) to enter it goes back a quarter mile for parents picking kids up to get in).

The issue I, and every other driver using it, seems to have is that no one knows which side to be on when they are turning left. Normally you drive on the right side of the road in the states, but intersection is also used buy the divided highway to make u-turns to go back and access driveways and roads that don't have an intersection; that normally means you hug the left side to go the other way.

For instance, if all of my mspaint cars want to turn left in relation to where they are, the instincts of the perpendicular drivers conflict considerably. The intersection's deceleration tapers are wide enough that this normally isn't dangerous, but people do end up getting angry when they block each other physically or just their line of sight. It's even worse because my side street isn't perfectly across from the subdivision, an effect that is exaggerated by the slight hill there you can't see from the satellite photo, so it even makes sense to stay left when turning left from these side streets, since then you just drive straight and turn, instead of going right to go left.

Can some civic planner or cop or something tell me where I'm supposed to be when making turns (always to the right or always left)? I know this won't help any other driver, but at least I won't be the one at fault out of ignorance if something does happen.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 23, 2012

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thanks, I'll put this over there as well.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Can someone help me find an article I read a few years ago? It was about this small town where all the teens dressed like 1950s or 1960s teens, drove classic cars and hung out at a diner. I think it was located in the middle of nowhere USA (not sure about that last part; could have been Russia).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I don't think so. I remember it mentioned an entire town of teens/young adults dressing in that style, not necessarily a subculture across America. Those pictures are neat though, so thank you.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I carpool with a coworker that lives 5 minutes from me to a job that's 1 to 1.5 hours each way. We use her car (my wife and I have one car, she uses it to drive to work) and she drives in the morning, I drive 2/3s of the time at night. I have enough seniority at work that I get a parking spot in the building whenever someone is sick, on vacation, etc., but not everyday (3/5 of the time), and am able to give her the parking space even when I telework once a week; parking at a nearby public garage is otherwise $15 a day. I give her $20 in gas money on weeks we don't have a spot.
When I don't ride with her because she is out, I ride a commuter bus that takes about 2 hrs each way and costs $8.50 roundtrip.
Riding with her I save about $116 a month (four commuting days in a four-week month + $20) and she saves about $200 ($180 in parking, $20 for the "no free parking" portion), but it's still her car that's getting the mileage. I don't know how to calculate accurately the cost in gas (
I think this is a fair trade, but I'm not sure if I should be giving her more cash on parkingspotless days, or supplementing with cash on days we park in-building for free. Any opinions?
Edit: I probably add about $15 in gas costs a month since I only live about 1.5 miles away.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

photomikey posted:

There is no mathematical formula to get to what you're looking for.

The goal here is for both you and her to feel fairly compensated. Ask her about it, and if she says you're fine, and you feel fine, then you're golden.

My third party view of the situation is you could probably throw her a few extra bucks each week. The number I'd be looking to get to is 50%, so half of parking and half of gas.

The IRS number ($0.555/mi) is a sham and not needed for this equation.

Trastion posted:

I believe the US federal amount that an employer has to pay if you use your car for company purposes is somewhere around $.53/mile. You could go by that as it is supposed to pay for the gas and help with wear and tear.

Otherwise if you like this person and want to continue to have these rides when necessary you could just give her a portion of your savings. If you are saving $116/month you could give her another $30-40/month and still be saving a lot. Even at $40 you are still saving $75.

Don't just look at the gas cost, her time, wear and tear on the vehicle and your time (not having to take public transport) should all be a factor too.

Edit: Looks like it is actually 57.5 cents a mile now.

Thanks, I'm a cheap bastard, but I'm self-aware enough to know it and ask for outside views. I'll up it to ~$50 a month.