Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I just got contacts for the first time in my life now that I'm pushing thirty. Seem to work well, but I'm plagued by the feeling of something in my eye. I realize that there is now a hunk of plastic resting on the surface of my eye, but is this something you get used to over time? If you've worn contacts for a long time, does it ever get to the point that it feels completely normal to have them in?

Also, any protips from any nice goons would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It's pretty much what you would expect, homogenized food across their chain is important so a lot of things are packaged and stuff but the stuff that needs to be fresh is cooked by cooks to order. Mcdonalds has assembly workers, Fridays has cooks (line cooks), and other restaurants have chefs.

I had always heard that the only things cooked fresh at Chili's were the steaks. I dunno though, the only things I have seen "cooked" with my own eyes were the potato soup and the fajitas. Potato soup was reconstituted powder and the fajitas came in a single-portion plastic bag.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone got a recommendation for a beginner bicycle to be used mainly for exercise and a few trips around town per week? Hopefully a hybrid or equivalent in case I want to take it down some of the easier trails around here, and one that won't break the bank. All the bikes I test feel okay, but there's no real way to test the durability and long-term comfort. I was kinda looking at either a Giant Sedona or a Fuji Crosstown 4.0, any problems with those?

I would ask in the bicycle megathread, but long story short they're not very helpful over there for regular folks.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wyatt posted:

Between those two, I would go with the Sedona. Bikes like the Crosstown, with that step-through frame, are heavy. You'll wish you'd bought something lighter the first time you hit a hill. As for whether either of those is a good buy, that really depends on how much you think you'll use it. They're entry level bikes with low-end parts. They'll get the job done, so long as you aren't putting serious miles on them.

kapalama posted:

Maintenance, Adjustment, and Fit are an order of magnitude more important than brand with a bicycle, so brand does not really matter. Buy what your local shop sells.

Thanks guys! My local bike shop (only the one, it's a small town) sells mostly Giant, Trek, and Jamis with smattering of others thrown in. I would absolutely love to go with their recommendations, but the owner/manager is usually the only one in there and he is incredibly dismissive when you're looking at entry-level bikes. He is insistent that I will not be happy with anything below around $1500, and is kinda "take your pick they're all the same" when I gravitate toward the sub-$500 bikes. Hell, the whole mess is even more confusing when the goddamn K-Mart special (Schwinn Midmoor) is the Consumer Reports best buy.

I would like to use the local bike shop, since they give six months free tune-ups and limited repairs. When I go to the bike shop again, is there anything I should be looking for when I take the things for a ride? They all seem to feel okay to me, I guess since I'm so inexperienced. Anything that I will probably overlook that I will be thankful for later?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there such a thing as a super-light twitter client that just sits in the system tray? Closest I can find is Digsby, which was bloated and borderline spyware last time I installed it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally bought a bike from the local bike store, and the large caps at the top of the front shocks are differing colors; the one on the left is silver and flat while the one on the right is raised and black. Is this normal from the factory? The thing was supposed to be brand new.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kapalama posted:

Lower range front forks on bikes usually have one adjustable shock, and one non-adjustable one, so they look different.

Ha, should have known, thanks. Man, I know I shouldn't get caught up in materialism but it stings to spend what feels like a lot of money on something and it's still low-end. :(

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

unclemuscles posted:

Do companies really pay for Blood Plasma? If so has anyone done this in Southern CA, and where? Also how do they do it? I understand they take your blood but I want to know how they separate blood from plasma and return it to you.

A lot of places buy plasma, but they don't really pay much. Back in college I used to get $25 per visit with some occasional promotion bonuses thrown in and I could do it twice per week. It's been a while, and I seem to remember hearing that the payments have actually gone down on average. I'm not in California though, so your mileage may vary.

The process is simple; they stick a big needle in the crook of your arm and suck out a bunch of blood. The blood goes to a machine that spins it in a centrifuge to separate the plasma from the blood, and then the machine pumps the (cold) blood back into your body. This process repeats four or five times and then you're done and free to partake of free cookies and punch. Whole process takes about an hour after your first visit, which will take about four including a medical exam.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the actual term for top-down learning? I mean taking a large completed project and deconstructing it to learn how the elements work together, like taking an engine apart to see how it works. The opposite would be learning elementary concepts and slowly learning to put them together.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's the name of the semi-solid foam found in cases for expensive equipment and guns? The kind that has the shape of the object cut out in it so it rests in the case securely without moving.

Also, where would I find this stuff and how would I cut out a shape neatly? I want to make a few of these type of cases for some equipment.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tostito posted:

I've been trying to get with this super hot girl all semester to no avail. We're friends, but I don't see anything happening really, unless I'm oblivious. Last night I hooked up with a cute friend of hers. Hot girl will most likely find out about this very soon. Have I just blown my chances of getting with the hot girl?

Maybe. There's no telling, everybody's different. She may be put off, or she may be intrigued by your pursuing other options, or she may be a Romanian spy. That's why "do girls do this do girls do that" questions are a little silly; the answer is always "maybe, depends on the person".

My own question: I was watching through Curb Your Enthusiasm, and came across the part where one character ends up giving another character a kidney. This got me curious as to how insurance handles a situation like that. Obviously the kidney recipient will have his surgery covered by his insurance, but would the donor have his kidney extraction covered by his insurance or maybe the donor's? It seems like the donor's insurance would view the surgery as elective and non-necessary, and it would be a real stretch for the recipient's insurance to cover the donor.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how to get a Mumble server up and running on a VPS running CentOS 5.5? I have the rest of my servers running through Webmin, if there's a way to administer it through that.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, bear with me on this one... If a guy was to very slowly swallow a very long piece of unbroken twine, suppressing his gag reflex the entire time, could he end up with one end of the string coming out of his butt and the other still sticking out of his mouth?

I've wondered this since childhood after seeing a cat with string hanging out of its balloon knot.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to organize my music collection and something annoying keeps happening. When I try to move a folder, Windows tell me that it can't complete the operation because the file or folder is open in another program. I don't have any other programs open, and Lockhunter (a file unlocking program) says that explorer.exe is is the culprit. I assume this is some sort of folder preview or file indexing thing, but it gets really annoying when trying to move a bunch of folders having to unlock every single one.

Is there a way to disable whatever is causing explorer to chokehold my files?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting really tired of my Google searches turning up a slew of useless content aggregation sites (articlebase, ezinemark, associated content, etc) instead of what I'm looking for. Is there a Firefox plugin or somesuch that can eliminate these from the search results? Failing that, is there a decent search engine that doesn't suffer fromt his problem?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really like using Google Maps' streetview thing, but for some strange reason my block of the neighborhood doesn't exist as far as Google is concerned. It doesn't even show up. Just looking at the map would give the impression that my neighborhood just ends and another one starts up four houses down. This is a pretty recent development, too; I distinctly remember looking at my house when the streetview stuff was just starting up.

What could possibly have caused this? Do I have a secret agent neighbor or something?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elijya posted:

Nonsense. Home is a place to lounge around in your boxers and feel comfortable.

Counterpoint: Flannel PJs and slippers are ten times as comfortable and are only wearable in cold temps.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend a "practice" investment account that will closely emulate the real thing, like keeping track of dividend payments and such?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to exercise my forearms a little while sitting around. I have one of those goofy v-shaped grippers that squeaks incessantly and I can do like eight thousand reps on the thing. Great for a nervous tic, but I know it's not doing me any good.

Can anyone recommend anything worthwhile?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys. I'm really looking for something I can do throughout the day at my desk while being an otherwise sit-down worker, so the wrist rollers are kind of out.

What about those Captains of Crush grip trainers? It's kind of along the lines of what I have, but they look a lot more sturdy and offer way more resistance.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elijya posted:

Would an area rug do anything to help a cold room stay warmer? Even if it helps insulate the floor and keeps my feet one or two degrees warmer, that's at least something. Would it do that, or would it be totally ineffective?

Wooly house shoes would be far cheaper and you would notice way more of a difference. Plus the good ones are super comfortable!

If you don't want to do shoes, there are a bunch of cheap ways to keep your house warmer. Like stubblyhead just said, getting rid of drafts will make a large difference, so grab some indoor caulk and get to work on your windows. Also check around your doors for gaps and resulting drafts; if you find any then you can replace the weather stripping and your threshold/sweep if needed. The whole shebang should cost less than thirty bucks, take just one afternoon to do, and save you a bunch of bucks throughout the year.

If you're in a super cold area you could always put heat sealing on your windows, but odds are if you live in an area that needs it then you already put it up in November.

Anyway, long story short an area rug is not gonna do much. Getting rid of drafts and a cheap oil heater would be your best bet. If you're super lazy, a sweater and some house shoes always work.

For my own question: Is there a way to get Firefox to make room for images when initially rendering a page? I always get annoyed when I'm checking new posts in image-heavy threads here on SA because the page keeps getting bumped up every time a picture loads, which interrupts whatever I was reading.

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 19, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

epsilon-6 posted:

This should be pretty funny to ask here, as it's an entirely serious question, despite the absurdity inherent in it.

You can live in a really nice beach house (where you can see dolphins from the back yard) literally walking distance from Oprah's house. loving beautiful area.

But.

You HAVE to smoke methamphetamine every day, multiple times. Whether that's your thing or not. Essentially you are required to be high on meth all day. All of your bills are paid, and you obviously don't need food.

If you DON'T you are entirely homeless, penniless, and entirely without resources. You have a t-shirt and some jeans, and it's hitting around ~40F at night.

In this 'theoretical' situation, what would YOU do?

This may be a weird question for this thread, but I figured it didn't need its own thread. Although that is exactly the situation I'm in. However goons give lovely advice anyway, especially all you '04+s ;)

If this is a mystically-guaranteed thing that's gonna go on forever, I think I'd smoke me some meth. I mean if those were the absolute only two options and you were guaranteed to be forced into homelessness and would never be allowed to make a penny or accumulate any sort of resources necessary for living, I guess being a pampered meth addict would be a better choice.

However, if this was just a real-life situation it would be a much easier choice in the other direction. You could stay in a nice house for a while, at least at the whim of a presumably meth-addicted patron, but I can't see "you have to smoke meth or get the gently caress out" as being a very stable or long-term living situation. I would bet good money that the meth house choice would probably end up in homelessness anyway (at best), and at least you could start out in that situation now while you're younger and not a drug addict.

edit:

epsilon-6 posted:

This is not for the rest of your life. It would last a few months at maximum. So you could possibly find a job and save up for your own place, or become addicted to meth. This would roughly be the tossup, I suppose.

Now you're just loving around. Crushing meth addiction or part time job and an apartment? Tough decision! :thumbsup:

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 13, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the most convenient way to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with the console and a PC (with the wireless adapter) in the same room? It seems like it could only be paired with one at a time, and pressing the Xbox button on the controller turns the console on in any case.

Anyone manage to set something like this up?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how does Ebay stay in business? I haven't actually used it to buy anything in a while, and it seems like now most items (mostly electronics) I look up return a bunch of "Buy it Now" listings that are usually priced much higher than you can find on actual retail sites like Amazon. Heck, nearly all of the things I've looked up are cheaper down at Walmart or Target, especially with the outrageous shipping costs people want for the stuff.

Is there a reason for this? The only thing I can think of is that the people selling these things are all drug dealers laundering money by buying stuff at their local store, marking them up twenty bucks, then buying them from themselves with a fake account. There is no other explanation I can think of. Surely no one buys electronics at a premium while sacrificing customer service and protection.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe tablets made of an extremely durable modern synthetic material engraved with your message? Scientists would know that it couldn't possibly have been made until modern times. For extra credibility, you could encase it in clay in the past so it would dispel suspicion that it was placed there later.

If you had time to prepare before you went back in time, you could research recent archeological excavations and find one that uncovered something from your target time period. Travel back to that location and time, bury your stuff there, and hopefully it will be uncovered as planned.

Then again, maybe your presence in the past would drastically change history, so who knows.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skizzles posted:

So my questions are...
1. Are prepaid phones really more expensive, ultimately?
2. If so, what would be a decent, least expensive phone with AT&T (or Verizon) that can still have an unlimited data plan, texting, and such?
3. My mom considered putting both of us on my sister's plan with Verizon. Would all three on one plan save money, or is Verizon more expensive?

I know a couple people who use Virgin Mobile and they seem to really like it. $40 a month gets you 1200 minutes per person and unlimited text and data with no contract, or $25 bucks for the same plan with 300 minutes. You know, if you don't actually talk to people.

The downsides are that you have to buy a phone from them (unlocked phones won't work) and they're kinda crappy - $200 will get you either a Samsung Intercept, which is on the low end of Android phones, or a Blackberry Curve. They also have cheap barebones phones, but who wants those? Oh and also you're on the poo poo end of Sprint data service; it's great for talking or text, but the data throughput can get crappy at times. Virgin is a Sprint prepaid company, which means that contract customers have priority somewhere in the network's inner workings.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone else having a problem with rss feeds displaying correctly in iGoogle when they're expanded? They seem to display fine on the front page view (the one that shows the last five or so headers), but when switching to the expanded view it just displays a blank pane.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I ended up with one of those Scentsy things, and I ran out of the bricks. It seems like it would be easy to make my own scented wax to put in there, but I don't know where to start.

Can anyone help me out? I REALLY don't want to buy anything else from any more MLM-crazed housewives.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dokmo posted:

What would happen if someone hijacked my google account? It's not likely to happen (I have a decent password, only I have access to my laptops, I never log into google from another computer), but would I be totally hosed if it did?

That happened to me a few days ago. If you report it, you have to jump through a few hoops but you can change your password eventually. I had to go to a page to confirm my phone number and a robot called a few minutes later with a code I put in a text box. That was pretty much it, and I learned a valuable lesson about using simple passwords.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some words that are the opposite of snob? Specifically, I'm looking for words that mean "won't try fancy things," not neutral words like "humble" or "down to Earth."

Maybe provincial?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm making a suspended chin-up bar. I need it to be about four feet across. What should I use to make the actual bar, and where would I get the materials? It seems like it would be easy to think up a way to make a weather-proof bar with a ring at either end for attaching the chain, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cosmicjim posted:

woops. Yeah, Guess you're right. That sounds perfect. But I'd put the pipe through posts. Screw drilling the pipe.

My situation is that I have a huge wooden frame for a high swing set in my back yard (sans swings) from the previous home owners. It's tough as hell and already has hooks set in the top bar. The hooks are set through holes drilled through the top with thick-rear end washers and a huge nut on the top.

This makes the "suspended" thing a must - there are no real side posts to set a bar into, and there are already some very sturdy points from which to dangle some chain.

I guess plumbing pipe is my answer, then. How exactly does one drill through metal? Last time I put a hole in metal of any significant thickness was in metal shop in high school, and I had a vice and a drill press back then. Now all I have is a cordless drill, which most likely isn't going to put a hole in any kind of metal seeing as how it balks at every wood knot it encounters.

edit:

nesbit37 posted:

Posts will work fine, I thought you wanted to hang it with chains. If you do want to drill through the pipe its not as bad as you think it is. You just need a drill bit that is made for going through metal, which is most of them, and then you drill slowly using some oil at the contact point of the bit and the pipe. It sounds daunting, but its not that bad. I got used to it pretty fast when I had to drill through and thread a bunch of square pipe to build a vacuumform machine a few years back.

This sounds promising. What would you suggest for keeping the bar stationary while I drill? Am I going to need to go buy a vice?

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

A couple of reasons:

-Starting their telecom development later than we did, with better technology and less legacy baggage.

-geography and population distribution change the economics of large-scale broadband deployments.

-American telecoms are terrible and greedy and control their market to the point that none of them feel much pressure to improve their offerings. They are also heavily influenced by the cable TV industry to make online streaming less competitive (this is the big one)

Don't forget the massive government subsidies that have gone to telecom industries to improve our infrastructure that have been simply taken with no improvements made.

The people and the government are doing the right thing, it's the telecoms that are loving things up at this point.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drimble Wedge posted:

I just had a job interview today (office-type job), and one of the questions I was asked was "What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something which you knew was very much against company policy?" I refrained from the obvious goony answer of "joining in if it looks like fun" :black101: and replied that I would talk to them to see if they were aware of what they were doing, and then notify a manager if they persisted. Question: was that a decent answer? What are they looking for when they ask that?

I had a hiring manager ask that same question, and I gave that same answer. His immediate reply was, "We have HR to decide whether a worker gets a pass on violating company policy." He seemed a little flustered.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is probably a very silly question, but does uploading stuff hinder download speeds with DSL?

I always worked under the assumption that your provider's advertised speed was an either or thing, like 6Mb/1Mb would be 6Mb download OR 1Mb upload but not at the same time. Am I right on that, or can you download AND upload at those speeds at the same time?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Violence Gang posted:

Usually a higher fine and eventually an arrest warrant.

Yeah, the general rule is to always pay tickets no matter how unfair you think they are. They will never go away and will always escalate in consequences until you pay them.

If you don't want to pay it, the best (and only) thing you can do is schedule a time to go before a judge to ask for a reduced fine or to have it thrown out.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there some trick to making all the Gawker blogs actually work consistently after their terrible, terrible redesign? Some setting I need to enable/disable? Half the time I can't click on stories, the back button doesn't usually work, and I just have a blank frame where the stories are supposed to be way too often. I'm using Firefox 4 if that matters.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anjow posted:

What is the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero, other than marketing?

I'm aware that Coke Zero is aimed more at men, who associate the 'diet' label with females. I don't, however, know what the practical differences are (there are SOME, right?) - why didn't they just put Diet Coke in a different can, for example?

Well it tastes different. Coke Zero is apparently sweetened with both aspartame and acesulfame potassium (just wiki'd it), as opposed to just aspartame in Diet Coke. I guess that's why Zero doesn't have as much of the delicious chemical taste found in Diet Coke.

I am a diet soda junkie and I am sure my kidneys are entirely crystallized at this point. :)

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone tell me how to remove the "Bookmark this page" star in the address bar of Firefox 4? It annoys me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Does the way from 3 not work anymore?

http://studioshorts.com/blog/2010/07/firefox-removing-the-star-bookmark-this-page-button/

(back up stuff before you modify it)

That worked like gangbusters, thanks!