Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Anjow posted:

Once upon a time someone mentioned to me that incredibly purified water is used in some industrial or scientific processes and that to touch this water would be harmful, because it would suck nutrients from the skin via osmosis.

Is there any truth to this? I have looked up purified water on wikipedia but it only talks about the harmful effects of drinking it - not touching it.
Drinking it is only a problem in significant quantities for extended periods of time. Osmosis also doesn't work that way; soaking your body in purified water would result in wrinkly skin a lot faster, but wouldn't result in any significant amount of stuff leaving your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Avocadoes posted:

Why is it that I have 2 orders from UPS (both ground shipping), one package was sent out from Texas, one from Illinois, which they both arrive in Central California on the same day. Should'nt the texas package arrive sooner? Both packages are sorta "stuck" in their location, so it seems, because theres been no updates since.
Illinois is not very far east of Texas. Assuming they were shipped from eastern Texas (which is where all of the interesting cities are), it's something like 1700 miles vs. 2000 miles.

Avocadoes posted:

Are they waiting till the last minute of the estimated delivery time or something? Cynical, but, are they just keeping the packages there just so I can be irked enough to order speedier shipping?
They're prioritizing packages due sooner. They aren't intentionally delaying it; they're filling their maximum shipping capacity with other packages. If there happens to be space on a trunk going in the right direction before when it absolutely has to be shipped it'll get tossed on that trunk.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

...google solved the traveling salesman problem?
Traveling salesman is trivial to bruteforce for small values of N, and there's exponential solutions for it that are practical for up to 100 or so cities.