Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
So my fiance and I came home after work to find our house smelling, well... fruity, for lack of a better word. It smells like fruity candy or something, but we can't figure out why. It didn't smell like that when we left for work earlier in the day.. Its going to sound weird, but is there anything "bad" that could cause a fruity/sweet smell, like some sort of mold or something? Its kinda getting to me, and the rooms its affecting still have the scent of whatever it is when we walk into them hours after first noticing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Strangely, I know exactly what you mean, but no, it can't be- garbage went out today, can is empty except for junk mail at the moment. Unless something fell on the floor that we don't know about... but its just a hint of a smell, almost like someone sprayed too much perfume in the room a couple hours ago and it still hasn't aired out.

Edit: Okay, I let my nose reset and walked back through the scented rooms, and it kinda smells like fruit punch, or some fruity girlie alcoholic drink. Or maybe we're both having strokes at exactly the same time.

TShields fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 9, 2010

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Wow, can't believe I'm even doing this... but this is a really rough sketch of the house, with the smell sites highlighted in pink.

The only other thing I can figure is that we just bought some Bounty pet hair rollers that have a Febreeze scent to them, and theres one stationed in the living room, but if you sniff those they smell like dryer sheets, not fruit.

Edit: Wow, that came out tiny. Waffleimages is down, never used Tinypic before.

Oh well, working left to right-
Kitchen, Living Room
Dining Room, Bathroom
Bedroom, another Bathroom
Computer Room (where I am now)

Alright, its bed time. If its still there in the morning, I'll make sure to update!

Edit again: Oh, and theres no fruit in the house.. We got home yesterday from a 4 day vacation, so we haven't restocked very well. The smell was not here when we got home yesterday, it just started when she got home from dinner with a friend around 9, I noticed it when I got home around 10

TShields fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 9, 2010

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Purple Rain Man posted:

I ordered a book from a seller on Amazon Marketplace, and when the package came, it appeared to have been torn in shipping, exposing the book (particularly the jacket) to quite a bit of wear and tear. It was ordered from an individual THROUGH Amazon, not from Amazon directly, and the package was not insured (to my knowledge). Is there anything I can do about this?

Amazon sellers have generally been pretty understanding when I've had issues. I can think of an instance where something was shipped as far as their end was concerned but never made it to me, regardless of what tracking said. One e-mail and they refunded every penny. Sucks that I didn't get the product I ordered, but they didn't hassle me or anything. It doesn't hurt to try!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

This doesn't even belong here, but I can't think of where else to ask..

Let's say someone went out of their way to do you a favor but didn't totally finish what they set out do to, but they think they did everything. Do you let them know that they didn't finish?

I'm in a weird situation- and I think I know the answer, but I'm not entirely sure. My mom, who can't work because of a heart condition, essentially married a very well-off guy who works for a pharmaceutical company. So her main tasks are house work, absorbing every skewed fact Fox News can spout at her all day every day, and.. well, that's about it. She's a house wife now. But she has money. My fiance and I gave her our credit cards to keep in her lock box so we wouldn't use them except in emergencies. We kinda got into trouble with them and we're just paying off the balance as much as we can. We visit once a week in their gigantic house and sit down for dinner and watch some TV shows on their huge wall-mounted 57 inch TV that we enjoy as a group, and my mom pulled me into a room and got a little teary and said how much she appreciated me coming to visit and how much she loved my fiance and yadda yadda.. anyway, her big secret was that she "paid off" my credit card, but not to tell my fiance because she couldn't do hers too. That's.. loving amazing! I was ecstatic. Well, I looked at my balance, and she paid of *MOST* of my credit card, but there is still $300 to go- $300 even, she paid it off to the penny except for $300. Not that big a deal, really! But I would feel like the world's biggest rear end in a top hat if I actually let her know that. What do I do? Let her know, or let it go and finish the rest off myself?

My other fear is that they somehow botched the payment and she meant to pay off everything and they hosed up somewhere, so should I ask how much she thinks she paid?

TShields fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 4, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Edit: nevermind, finally found a non-lovely YouTube tutorial!

TShields fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 28, 2013

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

How early is too early to mow your yard on a weekend? I really want to get out there but I've only lived here a couple months and I don't want to piss off neighbors.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'd say before 9 is pretty mean. Before 10 is still a little grumbly.

I waited until 9 and had nobody throwing rocks at me. I only had about 45 minutes of mowing to do, and by the time I was done, my across the street neighbor had started up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

How on-the-ball are most banks when it comes to tracking unusual card activity? I only ask because I -never- travel. I haven't left the state in at least 4 years, maybe longer. But next week, I'm going to be heading a few states away to be in a friend's wedding, and with that comes a lot of expenses that are really beyond the norm for me. I'm just afraid my bank will freak out and lock my card and I won't be able to pay for the bachelor party all of a sudden. Should I call them and give them a heads-up or anything? I don't know how this works when they see that a guy who primarily eats at sub shops and burger joints is suddenly buying a $70 steak and pulling stacks of cash out of ATMs.

Edit: vvvv Thanks, folks below- I'll call them before I leave!

TShields fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 21, 2013