Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Noni posted:

I have a similar problem. I'm looking for a white guy who is sort of a mix between between Dolph Lundgren and Paul Dano. He often plays as tough guys, and sometimes wimpy guys. I can't remember if he's an actor or musician or just someone I met once. He might have been in comedies or maybe dramas? I think he has lived in LA before. Sorry, I can't remember his face, but his eyes were definitely colored. I don't know what color, but color was definitely present. Also probably hair (specifically, it's at the top of his head). Come to think of it, he might actually be a woman so leave your options open on gender.

Please help, goons.

Kevin Durand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

How do you say the name Rohymas?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Work-related question:

Is it possible to create a savable PDF form with embedded, related dropdown menus? For example, if you select USA in the Country menu, only the US states appear in the State/Province menu (if you choose Canada, only the Canadian provinces appear, etc.).

I need to collect a lot of rather detailed info about clients from all over the world. I'd like to have a centralised, foolproof form that they would fill out instead of me having to send them a million e-mails asking for specifications, them missing the question, giving me useless info, me replying back, etc.

Our business is approximately 3 people, so do-it-yourself solutions are necessary :j:.

Google docs has a form/survey builder that will output everything to a spreadsheet for you.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Or say someone like The Question or Brian Braddock so if they pull that you can say nothing and then they won't be sure if you'll call them on bullshit or not.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Starpluck posted:

Why are 700 MB CDs limited to only 80 minutes? Why can't I add more than 80 minutes worth of music as long as its under 700 MB?

Because CDs have a fixed bitrate, so eighty minutes takes up 700mb regardless of the source quality.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

What's the etiquette in an apartment with shared wash/dry units for moving other people's clothes that are left in the units? When you have your own load in the pipeline?

I've always moved it to a sorting table or on top of the dryer, but I hate doing it. Grabbing other people's underwear makes me feel like such a creep.

gently caress 'em. They should know how long a load takes and should come get their stuff when it's done.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I'm dumb and can't work out the proper search terms to find this.

There are gifs made where it zooms, rotates slightly and the colours invert. I know there is a description of the angles and zoom % to use somewhere but all I can find are basic things about how to rotate images.

Help? I urgently need to be a douche!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

If you have a string of ciphertext made from two natural language statements (say if your base message is encoded with a passage from a book), is it possible to attack it with a letter-frequency method or is it just as secure as using a one time pad?
I just finished reading the Cryptonomicon and it suggests that Allied one time pads were cracked because the woman drawing the random letters stopped closing her eyes and subconsciously introduced a non-random element into the distribution.
I would think that even if you know the distribution of the two text segments and can assume the modulo 26 addition, there are so many potential ways to arrive at any given letter in the final cipher you could do nothing useful with it.
Help?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 29, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

hayden. posted:

What's this from?

GIS points back to Sigma-X's avatar, try asking them?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I installed unbaby.me for facebook and now I get a settings tab that pops up every time I open my browser. How can I stop it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Project1 posted:

How much, if any, Australian TV shows do New Zealanders watch? Is it like Australia where there is a good mix of US, British, and unwatchable local shows?

We get Home & Away and Neighbours, and we used to get whatever breakfast show Karl Stefanovic was in on one of the higher-numbered channels. That's about it from across the ditch that I know of.

Oh, we had that Outback Jack show a few years ago, so the odd reality show too.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Raimundus posted:

I ask again, is there still an OkCupid megathread, or is that a thing of the past?

Pretty sure it got shitcanned due to drama.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Raimundus posted:

That sucks. Is there an equivalent somewhere in the bowels of A/T or E/N, or was that too much for these forums?

I'm not particularly good with the online dating thing.

There might be some kind of advice thread, but just not a specific OKC one? See if Lushka's guide to getting dumped thread is still around and that might have something in the OP?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Is egg custard/creme Anglaise non-Newtonian?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Mescal posted:

A long time ago I read about some examples of people sending weird things through the mail. Either unusual objects or letters addressed to "John, in like the eastern part of Montana." Or otherwise minimal in how they're addressed. Can anybody link me to writeups of things like this?

Bill Bryson talks about the latter in "I'm A Stranger Here Myself" which is a collection of his articles from a newspaper. Might be a starting point.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Is it true cat's purr when they're mad?

Either that or they're psychopathic. Could go either way.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Can you make Chrome shortcuts check for and switch to the existing session rather than create a new window under Windows 8?

Basically, I'm after a start-menu shortcut that behaves like the pinned taskbar button. I don't use Win8 myself but I had to do some emergency malware adjustments after someone decided to run this fun exe that came with a font they wanted, and they're now pissy at me because I broke Chrome.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Base Emitter posted:

He was a fixture in fan imaginations even before Return of the Jedi and if I remember correctly nerds weren't happy that he was killed off so easily in the third movie.

In the Expanded Universe stuff he crawled out of the sarlacc (the only person ever to do so, yay him!) and became some kind of supreme ruler of the Mandalorians, and led them through the war with extra-dimensional force-immune wrinklemonsters. Not a reason for why be was so cool to start with, but he certainly got a lot of attention and development outside the films.

And then Disney bought the franchise and are looking at more movies and whoops none of that happened now - your shelf of nerdbooks are just fanfic now.

I am ashamed that I know this because I don't even like Star Wars.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just an FYI: the books were already "least canon" according to Lucasfilm for the past like 20 years, which basically meant that a movie or even video game officially approved by Lucasfilm could override anything in any of the books at any time. Disney just reiterated the previous Lucasfilm position that if any more official movies came out, poo poo that happens in them could override the books at any time.

You have restored a modicum of self respect but severely diminished the schadenfreude of the situation.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm having a huge brain malfunction to the point Google can't even help me. What is it called when you book a flight through one airline but you fly in a different airline's plane? For example, I bought a flight through Westjet to an international destination, but the plane was Air Transat, because Westjet doesn't own planes big enough to fly to that destination, but they have an agreement to borrow Transat's plane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeshare_agreement ?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

I fart wicked bad whenever I eat pasta. And the cat likes to crawl on my rear end and sleep (I lie down to use the computer) so I usually end up blasting that furry bastard with a cubic metre of methane and sulphur dioxide right in the face and generally being the worst alarm clock in the world.

The question is, should I also get a dog?

How do I enjoy pasta without basically turning into a Bile Demon?

How much fibre are you getting generally? Suddenly increasing your intake can do that because your inside bits aren't used to dealing with it.

Also, get a a dog.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Could be that, could be intolerance, could be something else.

Try to bump your dietary fibre intake up on non-pasta days (if you get psyllium husks you can poop without needing to wipe) and see if that helps.

Asafoetida is often added to bean dishes and is apocryphally meant to reduce gas production but I don't know if/how that works, or if you could find it in Korea.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

I got a letter today from the Iowa Department of Revenue saying I owe them money because I didn't report the refund I got in 2012 as part of my 2012 income. Line 27 on the Iowa 1040.

I have nothing useful to add, but just want to clarify. Are they pinging you for this now because you were overtaxed in 2011, and were issued with a refund of this overpaid tax in the following tax year which the IRS says they didn't know about?

e: I'm not from your country, so if this is some weird inter-agency thing I guess I get that.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 18, 2014

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah, I got a federal refund in 2012 based on being overtaxed in 2011. The state of Iowa says I didn't report that as income in the year 2012. Which is true, I didn't.

Right. We only have a nation-wide tax agency here (NZ), and any refunds aren't counted as income because it's returning money they took rather than money they're giving you. I still think it's weird, but at least it's not as pants-on-head moronic as I first thought.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Does anyone else notice waves of bitter shitposting spread through the forums on occasion? Over the last few days it seems like every second thread I've read has had some sort of pissant dickwaving over really stupid stuff.
It'll go on for a few days, drop off and then cycle back into one thread a few weeks later before spreading out across the wider forum.

This isn't some meta commentary on the above, but that's certainly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I need to do a fresh install of Windows. Where can I find a list of drivers I should download ahead of time to make things easier?

Big priority is your network card/mobo chipset, because most other stuff should work well enough but without those ones you may not be able to get online to find more.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I have a list of filenames and paths in various locations across a server. Is there a way I can create a batch file or something that will copy all of them into one location?

(I've got a somewhat useable method using Excel to create an HTML document that has them all in iFrames, but it displays some files in the frame and prompts others for download)

e: nvm I actually read the page I found properly

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 25, 2015

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

muike posted:

"really far away dude with an AK is actually a really close dude with a giant AK"

I don't think that is how that works.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Leal posted:

Do we have a thread somewhere talking about China and Russia's masterplan to completely destroy the USD overnight that spams my news feed everyday?

Like... the plot of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

I remembered a cartoon series with shorts that would run for approximately a minute, something like 'The amazing world of Mr Werks' or something.

It would start like so:
"Say, Bobby, do you know how X works?"
"Why sure, Mr Werks! *Detailed description*"
"Wrong, Bobby!"
"Wha-? But I thought-"
"*Convoluted yet humourous false description*"

It would conclude with "We have this thanks to Y, Z and good old American know-how!"

Such false descriptions would be things like 'You tug a tea bag to start a million tiny mowers hidden inside them' and 'Tires move because there are a ton of micro speedboats resting in the water inside them (Which is why you see so many discarded tires with water in) and 'Straws are prehistoric cave creatures that adapted themselves to human use.'

Google isn't helping at all. What's the series called?

I remember these. I was thinking KaBlam!, but I checked the wikipedia page and couldn't see a mention.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

There a song by Chicago called If You leave Me Now. The opening sounds very much like an old TV theme song. It's just that first horn part, maybe the strings, once the singing starts it's completely different. But the horn part is virtually identical by my memory. It's a show from the late 70s or early 80s I think. I keep thinking it was a medical drama but I'm not sure.

photomikey posted:

Heard the song, totally know what you're talking about, figured a quick google search would solve it... no, I'm stumped, but I know it was the theme for a 70's TV show. Thanks for ruining my night, I'll never sleep now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Q3orQhEcA

??

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Methanar posted:

How can I buy drugs

Buy LEGO or Tide detergent.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I work with a lot of people all over the world, and I've noticed a trend with people in India, China, Japan, and countries like that where they'll have their name on their ID, but will (before I even try to use their name,) ask to be called a nickname. It's always a person named like Zhuang Chao who wants to be called "Peter." Is that for my benefit? Is it a coincidence that it's always a biblical name? Do they use these names in everyday life, or only with people who they feel can't pronounce their real name? Does it make them feel "other-ised?" I would ask, but I don't want to get fired for asking personal questions, so I'll lob it up here.

I would imagine hearing people mangle your name day in and day out would get a little tiresome.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Is there a go-to "teach yourself SQL" book anyone can recommend? My boss is a fuckwit (he's also leaving, so yay) and I need to learn this stuff so I can run the software he's just purchased.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

How long should it be between someone "fixing it" and the new SSL certificate for a website being used instead of the old?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Immediately. SSL connections have to be negotiated at the beginning of every session; there's no propagation delay like there is with DNS.

If your SSL certificate was "fixed" by them booting up a new server, with a new IP and the new cert, and then pointing the existing DNS record at the new server, it could take up to a few hours for the DNS changes to propagate.

Nope, replacing an expired one on a live client-facing site. My boss is just a fuckwit and I suspect he has been emailed the new one to apply it, but thinks the whole thing is done through GoDaddy's control panel despite him having to do this a mere 3 weeks ago when another client-facing site started throwing our customers massive security warnings because he hadn't renewed stuff.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

So is that website the chive short for archive, or is it the onion kind of chive?

The CHIVE name was born from combining the two cities in which the brothers lived: Leo was in Chicago (CHI) and John was in Venice Beach (VE).
http://thechive.com/2011/07/28/how-thechive-got-its-name-4-photos/

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Acrobat 8 Professional is available for free* but you need to do a bit of work to get a proper DLL extracted to install it. It's also a bit old but works well enough for my needs.

I've never had that much luck modifying PDFs after they were created - I generally make stuff in Word, the newer versions of which can save directly to PDF without issue. If anything needs changing, i change it in Word and re-save as PDF.

* free meaning multiple legit looking websites says it's free, but I'm uncertain where Adobe stands on the matter. May or may not be :filez:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Do contracts for series regulars on TV shows have stuff about maintaining an active presence on twitter/instagram? Is there a certain point at which it tends to kick in (be it number of appearances, billing order, whatever)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I think you know why.