Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

his dog doesn’t have too much fluff.

Is it sick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

He can also try making the initial overhand knot (before doing the bow) in the other direction (right over left if he's doing left over right). Won't help if the only problem is looseness, but it does make a more stable knot
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/grannyknot.htm

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

tuyop posted:

Excel question here. NASA formats its dates into a fraction of the year, so like, I have a bunch of data with 1958.208 and 1968.708 as dates. I need to turn these into serial dates for excel to recognize them. How should I do that?

Is it what dokmo said, or like 70.8% of the way through 1968?
You might have some luck asking in the excel question thread.

You could split it into two columns, convert the year to the integer Excel uses to store dates (no# days since 1 Jan 1900 IIRC, hopefully should be able to just format the column of years as Text), add to that the decimal x 365 (unless its a leap year which will need exception handling) then convert the resulting number back into a date but there is almost certainly a better way

e: like this, last column is 2nd to last formatted as a date
pre:
Original	Year	Decimal	SerialYear	IsLeap	=if(E2=true,D2+((C2/1000)*366),D2+((C2/1000)*365))	
1968.708	1968	708	24838		TRUE	25097.128	16/09/1968
1958.208	1958	208	21186		FALSE	21261.92	17/03/1958
e2: technically you could also format it as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss too, if that was significant. Might want to double check that against known values before using it though.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 22, 2019

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

tuyop posted:

I was looking for that thread, thanks. And it’s like year and then thousandths of a year. So 2004 and 84.7%. I’ll ask there tomorrow.

Yeah that'll work then. I don't have Excel at home so I'll tinker with making it into one formula when I'm at work, but ask in that thread too because there is probably a more elegant solution than what I can formulate.

also 1000th of a year is like 8.75 hours, so probably don't use the time values as they've been aggressively rounded.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 22, 2019

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

tuyop posted:

I was looking for that thread, thanks. And it’s like year and then thousandths of a year. So 2004 and 84.7%. I’ll ask there tomorrow.
Try this - no promises
=IF(OR(MOD(left(a1,4),400)=0,AND(MOD(left(a1,4),4)=0,MOD(left(a1,4),100)<>0)),TEXT(DATE(left(a1,4),1,1),"0000")+((TEXT(right(a1,len(a1)-5),"000")/1000)*366), TEXT(DATE(left(a1,4),1,1),"0000")+((TEXT(right(a1,len(a1)-5),"000")/1000)*365))

pre:

=IF(OR(MOD(left(a1,4),400)=0,AND(MOD(left(a1,4),4)=0,MOD(left(a1,4),100)<>0)), - assess leap year status
if leap year -
TEXT(DATE(left(a1,4),1,1),"0000") - pull left 4 characters, convert to serial date and render as text and add to...
+((TEXT(right(a1,len(a1)-5),"000")/1000)*366), - pull all characters after the period, force to 3 digits then div/1000 to get a percentage, multiply that by days in the year
if not leap year, same but multiplied by 365 not 365
TEXT(DATE(left(a1,4),1,1),"0000")+((TEXT(right(a1,len(a1)-5),"000")/1000)*365))

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 23, 2019

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I told yall someone would have a more elegant solution

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah try here. Just terms like "recreational rabies" has been enough to get stuff ID'd in the past.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

The interview before this is pretty fun, he's talking to Jools Holland about how he thinks he's been writing these song that should make you consider things differently, being thoughtful, trying to reflect the zeitgeist and be cultural and significant, and then he comes to London and the BCC which is this bastion of culture and refinement and all they can say is "please do the song with the swears in it"

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Stravag posted:

If theres a better thread for this please tell me but why do whales and dolphins protect swimmers from sharks? Just saw the video of the humpback pushing the scientist around on its head to keep her away from a tiger shark until it got her to her boat again. Is it gently caress those guys? Or do they think were dumb land critters who are too dumb to stay on land so they help? Obviously I know we dont know for sure but solid theories?

mammal bros

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I don't know but I thought Hero Wars looked like a neat puzzle game and it's absolutely not, just a big loving grind.

I want to play the game in the ads.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Win+Up

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Lord Garmadon posted:

What is the deal with popcorn? Like, why does it happen? Nothing else turns into popcorn, I mean, or does it? I like roasted almonds and sunflower seeds.

Rice does (in rice krispies or genmaicha), as can most other grains - they just tend to be mostly used in cereals or health foods.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Let's say you have a civilization whose economy is based entirely on barter and trade (goods and services) and now you want to go to using money.

How do you go about that? It seems like it would be a nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFRN-Fd-Qc

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ulex minor posted:

It's killing me I can't remember this but...what's that video where someone reproduced a very strange video of some guy doing cowboy...swing dancing? Or just some kind of cowboy dancing where it was sort of electro music and it would fade in and out of them doing this bizarre dance? I think they originally did it for a toxx?

Phone posting so the thumbnails won't, but it was part of a variety of voluntary mod challenges in e/n (I think?)
Original : https://youtu.be/AGi6lpib-rU
Remake : https://youtu.be/Eb_IQA9Zbow

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ulex minor posted:

Is there some sort of website or app where you can input a list of things and then it will present you two of the options asking you to pick which is better until it's sorted the whole list from best to worst?

I guess what I'm thinking of would be identical to those, I don't know what the right word is, bracket style tournaments like that gamefaq thing where they voted Undertale best game and it could be done manually like that, just wondering if there was some automated version or even better where you could continue to add new things to the list.

http://www.allourideas.org/questions/new does this for you.
It's apparently a very complicated issue because humans are bad at doing this ranking themselves. It's also the same type of system used in ranking chess players.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I've been lucky enough to travel lots in my life. On account of that I have lots of mixed up bits of languages that have become kind of an internal patois over the decades.

Where did I get the word (pronounced) coh+mee+say? I feel like it attaches to a word that sounds like koo+roo.

I can't attach it to a memory, continent or language or offer any context..

I feel it means "bring it too me". Probably not right.

And it's definitely not Spanish comida or French Comme ci.

Come Stai is Italian for how are you?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

DCP 1610-W is similarly cheap but you can also scan the thing you had to print and sign.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I have a floor lamp designed to take G9 bulbs. It has a single switch, a leading-edge* dimmer that rotates smoothly (non-stepped) from off through dimmed to max brightness.

If I buy a non-dimmable LED bulb for it, can I expect it to be OK as long as I turn it on and immediately crank it to full, or will passing through the dimming stages gently caress it up? If not, will it go bang or will it just reduce the life of the bulb?

* I think - I got it from a family member, it looks/feels cheap and buzzes when dimmed.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

My grandmother passed recently and left me her house. I don't plan on moving in but it'll take some time before I'm able to do anything with it and it's far enough away that it's not convenient for me to go there frequently to pick up the mail so I thought I would use the USPS mail forwarding option to forward her mail to my current address so I can still keep on top of the utilities that are still on and any other stuff I may need to (I tried to add her electric account to my online account which is the same company but can't because it requires a text code to be sent to the associated phone number to verify the account but she didn't have a cellphone, even when alive in her later years, so it's a landline, and its also already disconnected). My concern is there's a small identification verification fee with the mail forwarding application, and my issue isn't with the fee itself but the fact that I am not in fact my grandma and when they attempt to do the verification they will realize this. Best case scenario, they deny it and I am out $1.10 but worst case scenario they deny it and I get in legal trouble for identity theft or something? Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I worried over nothing?

Talk to the lawyer/executor handling her estate, because they probably want the mail coming to them so they can help wind up any accounts she may have had open. If that is you, just visit/call USPS, because they'll likely have a process for that already - you'd probably need a copy of her death certificate.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Coming into some money shortly, and wondering how to most effectively use it to pay down my mortgage.

Our mortgage is split into three chunks which each come up for renewal every three years - one renews each year. I'm trying to work out if it's better to completely blow away one of them as a single payment and put the regular payments from that into the others, or pay off a third of each one. In each case I'd be keeping the net fortnightly payment the same and just reallocating (if necessary) when any particular loan gets paid off.

Is there a calculator or something that I can tinker with for this? At the moment the bank is paying more in interest on savings than we're being charged interest on one of the loans so I'd probably just stick any payment for that one in savings until that's no longer the case.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

tuyop posted:

Some flat earthers argue that Star Trek is actually about submarines so that’s why. It’s a secret code about the nature of the universe.

What about Seaquest: DSV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

It's also hygroscopic, so likes to pull additional moisture from the atmosphere