Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The risk/reward calculations for alcohol and weed are a lot better than for tobacco if they were banned. Basically, going to a black market to get cigarettes will not be worth it for the majority of smokers, because the high is not that good. Obviously illegal import from neighbouring countries would be easier than smuggling weed, but I'm still not sure the criminal networks would have enough incentive to keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

They're most commonly known as 'idiots'

That's a very large demographic though

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The yoga to conspiracy probably starts with thinking that getting your body in peak yoga condition is the answer to health problems. From there, it's a small step to reject (some) Western medicine (especially since big pharma makes it easy), and now you're already doing your own research on Google and rejecting accepted explanations. 95% of yoga doesn't go this way though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't think anyone mentioned peer pressure in relation to drug use, but surely that's also relevant in some cases. Say, if you're in a biker gang or a kitchen or the 80s, everyone else is probably doing coke and they're offering you some, so are you gonna be a nerd and refuse or do a line like everyone else?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I was once working on improving a process that was intended to fill a container almost air free with a liquid. We improved it to reduce the air volume by orders of magnitude.

Then someone picked up the prototype from the bench, and the change in temperature made it explode. The air bubble was buffering it previously

This sounds like a marketing refocusing problem though. Sure, the storage and transportation is difficult, but imagine putting out a six pack which explodes at parties

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Or cut plus pink nail polish?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Not really related to foreign aid, but I did work for a few years at the Danish Agency of Finance or whatever it's called in English, where we basically managed the state's money, especially as they related to IT systems. The long and short is that yes, basically the state has one (1) big bank account at the national bank with all the money in it. Then there's a weird deal with a normal bank which basically handles all outgoing transactions on one hand and then withdraws or deposits the balance every night at the national bank account. So yeah, in theory the Danish state can just do a wire transfer (through the intermediary bank for reasons that are not related to this being highly profitable for the bank at all) to whoever. All the internal balances and budgets between agencies and ministries and so forth are essentially managed elsewhere in a few IT systems, not unlike departments of large corporations. Also some of those systems are really fun, like the national payroll system which is just one system that essentially pays out very large amounts of money every month.

We did also have the literal state coffer over in the ministry, which is an actual box where you can store gold coins. It's empty though, and has been for ages. Also one time when it was in use, a guy managed to take the box and run off to Sweden with it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wash bucket posted:

There are cheaper Chinese ones on Amazon they're just of questionable quality. It's a product category aimed at hobbyist nerds these days since most people just buy computer speakers with built in amps.

Also, because everyone has moved on to various powered speakers, chances are you can get a super cheap good quality amp used, especially if you don't mind a large footprint. You just need to make sure it has aux in

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

two fish posted:

I'm looking to try out a podcast after basically ignoring the format for my entire life. From what I understand it's basically like a pre-recorded radio show, right?

Something about history would be nice, I'm just looking for anything very informative and well researched. Any suggestions?

I started listening to podcasts while my kid needed long walks in the stroller to fall asleep, so I'm kinda new in the game too. But to answer the first part of your question, a podcast is whatever audio someone decides to put in a series and distribute the way podcasts are distributed. Currently, I have a literal current events radio show that I listen to while commuting (as opposed to when it airs) and a (leftist) newspaper with a host talking to the journalists about their articles (both in Danish). During my paternity i binged Apocrypals, two comic book nerds talking about bible, with one of them doing his research pretty well and explaining the context and the other being a listener insert to ask stupid questions basically. When I have time, I also listen to Saga Thing, which is two medieval literature experts drinking beer and reading through the Icelandic sagas. Both of those are pretty good, and while not exactly history themed, they have a lot of history stuff in them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

What are the Danish shows? I’d love a half-decent news podcast

Radio Information is the newspaper one and currently my favourite. It's not at all neutral, but it feels pretty well researched. The other one is Orientering på P1. The quality is not what it was, but it's literally half decent, and best when they manage to interview someone who knows the issue at hand properly. They do "accidentally" get some strong opinions from guests occasionally, good and bad alike.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

fwiw all of the physical standards are deprecated and are now based on natural constants

They still have the physical things though. I also seem to remember that they made a few versions of the kilogram, all of which have slightly different weights because making a metal ball with an exact and constant weight is hard.

Anyway, Denmark has an official spelling and comma policy, which public institutions are obligated to follow and everyone is expected to. But we as a nation also enjoy licking their boot.

And Iceland has an agency that's in charge of preventing loanwords by inventing Icelandic alternatives, and they're quite successful at it too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You could probably stick it in PYF or Ask/Tell (or CSPAM) as they're just general purpose forums?

Also, podcast guy, I just remembered we have a whole subforum for that stuff, here's a thread

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jimmychoo posted:

would anyone be interested in an Ask thread from me, a rare bookseller for many years? maybe i could help out some goons. tho i would need images of every book if people wanted to ask about specific ones they own

:justpost:

And also be sure to plug the thread in the book barn

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

alnilam posted:

That's exactly the point though? You would use it when a phrase is normally understood to be figurative, such that everyone would assume it to be figurative, and you want to indicate that in this case you mean its rare literal meaning, like you've actually fallen into a bin of persimmons and can barely breathe and you need help.

If you're actually drowning in persimmons, you should probably skip some context about the fruit and just scream "help" and hope people could figure out.

It's not unique to "literally" either, a ton of words that have a specific literal meaning are used to enhance metaphorically. I don't even know how you'd weigh words for example. It's a large part of why language is amazing, you can use it in entirely new ways and still be understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kedo posted:

Totally unrelated: is there a tool I can use to analyze my spending and sort things into categories and whatnot that isn't Mint.com and doesn't share all of my personal data with some faceless corporation that will use it for their own nefarious purposes?

My online banking does this. But also, is there any reason you are not using excel or similar? You'd have to do a bit of manual work, but it works pretty well.

Also, spend less on candles.