Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Mastiff posted:

Okay, but if their website says it was delivered, and it's not there, then it was stolen, right? Or is there a possibility that their website would tell me it's been delivered when it hasn't?

This BS happened to us last Christmas. The package definitely didn't get stolen, but they claimed it arrived. I went through all the motions and they did jack poo poo about it for me. I hope it goes better for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

wheres my arm posted:

What's a franchise restaurant that has a good Monte Cristo sandwich?

EDIT: I am so dumb. I thought I was in the Portland thread for a minute (hours) there.

chachu fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 3, 2010

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

change my name posted:

Is there a word or technical term for eating a large meal, knowing you're full, but feeling hungrier then when you started eating? I've got it pretty bad right now, like I know I'm full but it feels like I'm starving.

I dunno a technical term for it, but you probably want to take a look at your carb intake. It's usually the culprit in situations like that.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

TShields posted:

Strangely, I know exactly what you mean, but no, it can't be- garbage went out today, can is empty except for junk mail at the moment. Unless something fell on the floor that we don't know about... but its just a hint of a smell, almost like someone sprayed too much perfume in the room a couple hours ago and it still hasn't aired out.

Edit: Okay, I let my nose reset and walked back through the scented rooms, and it kinda smells like fruit punch, or some fruity girlie alcoholic drink. Or maybe we're both having strokes at exactly the same time.

I had the same thing happen to me, and it turned out I accidentally bought scented trash bags and didn't realise it. You're probably not that dumb, but maybe that's what happened?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I can't find the legal questions thread--did it get moved somewhere else? I checked A/T and BFC.

edit: Whoops, googled and found it.

chachu fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 10, 2010

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

So I bought this picture at a garage sale today, and it's a print. There's no signature on it anywhere, but I was wondering if maybe someone recognised it? I know it's a long shot and was most likely just painted by someone totally unknown, but I figure it's worth asking:

The photograph doesn't show how bright and strange this thing is. I am so in love with how weird it is.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Fun image! It took me awhile, but a Google Image Search for art print dogs expressionism led me to Roy De Forest. This particular painting, Country Dog Gentlemen resides at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

OH MY GOSH. I never thought it could be found. Thank you! Looks like it's time to furnish my walls with every print I can get my hands on. I am so in love with these images. Thanks again.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Econosaurus posted:

First off, is it just me or is the forum periodically going down?

No, I've been getting errors all day (though it's better now than it was in the morning today).

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Does anyone know where I could get some good fingerless gloves? Not the hipster crap that doesn't actually provide any warmth. Almost all of what I'm finding is either motorcycle gloves (not very warm, too much padding) or work gloves (same issue). I need gloves that will keep my hands warm but still allow me to type. It's pretty cold and I have mediocre blood circulation. I want them to not go far up my wrist. So I pretty much want these but warm. A lot of the knitted gloves get pulls and wear out really quickly, especially if I'm wearing them often.

Use weight lifting gloves! You can get them sorta padded or sorta warm and going as high or low on your wrist as you want, with or without padding.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I could have sworn that Google Maps used to have the option where you could input multiple destinations and it would give you the most time/gas-efficient route to take to hit all those stops. Is there another site that would do this for me?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Do you mean this?

No, I mean an option after you do that where it arranges the stops in the fastest way. As it is now it just puts them however you enter them/move them around. Maybe it does it and I can't see the option.

edit: Oh! Mapquest does it. This'll work. http://new.mapquest.com/routeplanner

chachu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 24, 2010

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I always thought google maps did all of that.

Me too. I seem to remember using it to plot the quickest route through a bunch of garage sales, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the option to do it is.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Bac-Out should work.

Can't help you with the table, though.

I'm going to second Bac-Out. My kid projectile barfed half-digested chocolate ice cream all over her pillow, her room, her floor, the hallway and my bedroom carpet, and Bac-Out took it right out. It smells downright pleasant now.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I'm looking for a flight from Atlanta to PDX, and I honestly don't care how many stops there are. What's the best way to do this? It seems like the best price for the dates I'm looking is $420 but, well, that's a lot. Any tips to finding the absolute cheapest flight, a million stops or not?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Wyatt posted:

I like kayak.com, because it will actually show you prices on a calendar, so you can see the difference in prices throughout a month. That can be great if you are flexible on when you travel.

Yeah, I've been using kayak and cheaptickets, but I guess I'm just wondering if there's a site where I can say, "I wanna get from ATL to PDX 14 days round trip for less than $300 and I don't care how many stops or how many times I have to change planes."

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

In my work I come across a lot of names of people living in Australia (I'm in the US). Really frequently I'll see someone whose first and last names are the same, like "Saia Saia" etc and it's definitely not a typo. I can't think of any other examples, but I see them pretty often. I'm assuming this is standard naming practice somewhere in the Pacific, is that right? Any idea which island/country they're from?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Indonesia.

I'm in Australia and the girl at my work is for this example is called Surabati (dont want to use her real name). She doesn't have a surname but to fill out any form you NEED one (system explodes if you dont). Like anything that is input with a computer doesnt cope with no surname.

So she often just doubles up on her name.

I wouldn't be surprised if theres a few other south east asian countries that dont have surnames.

Thanks! This is exactly what I figured was going on. :)

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

b0nes posted:

I had a friend who recently got married. I couldn't make the wedding and I want to buy both of them a gift. I know the husband well, but the wife I don't know too much about her. I was thinking about a hers/his gift. I am getting the husband either a Gerber or Leatherman multitool, I am not sure what to get the lady. I don't like giving people "pretty" gifts, I like giving people stuff they can use.

Did they have a registry? Also, did they just move in together/buy a house when they got married or did they already live together?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

b0nes posted:

I am not sure if they had a registry, I can ask his sister. They didn't live together. He had a condo and she moved in with him after they got married.

In that case I think I'd maybe opt for a household gift, but not an appliance. I don't know what kind of people they are, but maybe a set of nice martini glasses? I would have loved to get that as a gift. Definitely check for a registry first though.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

Is there a website where former employees can go and review old employers for people looking for jobs?

http://www.jobvent.com/

And here's a Canadian one. http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

thomawesome posted:

My girlfriend bought these two mugs from an asian market, and we are wondering what the text on them says:

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

Could someone please translate? It's in Japanese, we know that much. It looks like only one word is different between the two.

The word that's different is "Grandma" versus "Grandpa". I don't speak Japanese, but the internet is suggesting that the rest says "I want you to live a long time, Grandma/Grandpa". I have 0 idea of that's accurate or not, but there you go.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

kapalama posted:

Not necessary a scam, but they definitely require the work from home people to buy materials.

Example: people who do medical billing from home make money from home, and have to pay for the materials to get started. So it's a scam, because you have to pay up front, but it's not a scam, because you can actually make money long term.

Ehhh, I'm gonna partially disagree with you on this one. Sure there are plenty of companies that have taken medical billing and turned it very, very scammy (especially the kind that advertise in cheap magazines), but it's actually a legitimate career and there are legitimate schools (which, yes, do require that you pay up front for your training). I am gonna disagree and say that paying up front doesn't make something a scam. I do medical transcription, and I paid $1600 for five months of training from an actual school. Sure, it was all online, but it was absolutely not scammy at all. I graduated and make $20+/hour working from home, so I don't think a blanketing statement like that really applies. That said, most of those stupid ads are probably either for those things where they pay you to stuff envelopes or you sell crappy crap from their warehouse on your crappy crap website or something.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

kapalama posted:

My point was that people tend to blanket label the idea that paying for materials makes it a scam, simply because you have to pay up front, when there are lots of people making a living WORKING AT HOME doing something that they had to pay up front for.

My point: Payng up front does not make it a scam, even though people tend to dismiss pay up front as such. (same as your point basically).

Oh! I totally misunderstood your point, sorry. I guess I'm just on the defensive because every time my job gets brought up, someone inevitably asks "oh, that scam thing?" when it's very much a legitimate job that pays more than any other job I could get.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

change my name posted:

Is there some kind of secret for making oatmeal in the microwave without it exploding out of the container?

My secret recipe was always to make it in a bowl, one scoop oatmeal and an equal scoop of water. Mush the oatmeal down a bit so all of the oats get wet, then add a little more water as necessary. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute--should come out perfect and fluffy. (I do 45 seconds but I have a 1300 watt microwave so adjust accordingly.)

edit: Then do yourself a favour and add a scoop of ON Rocky Road whey and two tbsp of natural peanut butter.

chachu fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 16, 2010

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

sc4rs posted:

Nominee, Runner-Up, Finalist

Consolation prize, sometimes.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe not, but all of the dealership cars I've seen are way out of my price range. Is it that unheard of to buy a first car off of Craigslist? I mean, I'm going to get it inspected and get a Carfax report on it before making a purchase.

I got my first car from a dealer, a '91 Honda Accord, for $1400 a few years ago. It could definitely be done. I definitely recommend you stick to Honda or Toyota though. I still have that '91 Accord and it's got 205k on it and going stronger than ever (with no major repairs) and my dad has an '88 Toyota Tacoma with 310k on it that he bought for $800. It still runs great (and actually far outlived his '98 Chrysler Sebring).

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I just got a Pampered Chef unglazed stone baker thing. I can bake a hamburger broccoli casserole in this, right? I assume I can, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Seems like any mention of a casserole also mentions a glazed dish instead of unglazed.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Slashie posted:

I don't really know what all goes in hamburger broccoli casserole, but I wouldn't put anything in an unglazed dish that could stain - so no tomato sauce or stuff like that.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I know the unglazed stoneware discolours a lot anyway with a lot of use so it probably wouldn't bother me. I actually found a card of recipes that came with the dish and it recommends cornbread chili pie, so I went ahead and dumped the casserole in. I mean, I can't think of a reason why it would somehow be worse than chili pie or apple cobbler.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I live in a normal sized apartment that was built in the past 2 years. Its about 25 degrees outside right now. My roommate likes to set the thermostat at 69F. Is this a normal temperature? I find myself waking up shivering when he does this. I prefer it at 70 or 71 and upping it a degree or two makes a world of difference for some reason.

I know its a highly variable and opinion based question, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if 69F is a reasonable/average temperature and I'm just being a pussy.

I think my power company suggests 68° for the heater and 74° for the a/c? I do 71° and find it perfect though.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I bought my husband a BluRay player for Christmas, and it looks like it does youtube videos and some other online stuff but isn't capable of doing Netflix. I'll upgrade and get the Netflix one if it means we can cancel our cable. How good is Netflix? Would that be worth it? The only shows we care about watching new are the new episodes of Futurama and Breaking Bad--how long would we have to wait to watch the new episodes with Netflix?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

My mom has MetroPCS for her phone service. Now, her husband died in July, but his voice is still the greeting on her cell phone voicemail. She has to change her voicemail message, but she really wants to record the one she has (or keep it stored to put back on, later) so she can listen to it later, since it's one of the only recordings of her husband's voice that she has. She talked to the MetroPCS guys, but they were unsure if there was any way to record or save a greeting off of voicemail. Does anyone know a way?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've never had any dental problems in my entire life. But today my tongue was poking around the last of my teeth that actually made it above the gumline and just above the gumline there's a huge loving hole. Like, half the tooth isn't there. It doesn't really hurt or anything (although I have been getting minor headaches lately), but it's pretty drat gross. I qualify for dental insurance January 1st, so I'm wondering how this is going to go down. I've never had any dental work done. Will they pull it or what, and how much does this suck on a scale of 1 to 10?

Also, is there anything I should do about it in the meantime to keep it from getting infected or something? I know I should be getting to a dentist way before next month, but I live in America so it's either insurance or going bankrupt to fix this.

Is it just a half-impacted wisdom tooth? I can't really tell from your description. It might just finish growing in on its own. I'm 21 and my wisdom teeth are about halfway through right now. Two of them are just in the state you described--a hole in the gum where only a piece of the tooth pokes out and otherwise it feels like nothing's there.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

That might be it. I don't know jack poo poo about dentistry other than I brush my teeth and they seem to do pretty well. It's the very last molar in the upper row, and after Googling it for a bit you might be right. It could be that the wisdom tooth is pushing the tooth in question too far up, exposing the underside. If that's the case, I'm probably going to have to get the bastard removed. Oh god, I've heard so many horror stories about that poo poo.

Ehh, it sounds nasty, but it's a pretty routine surgery. I'm sure it'll be unpleasant, but probably not a horror story. I'm getting mine out once they're not impacted, and I'm just gonna look at it as a way to take some Vicodin and lay on the couch for a day. v:)v

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I can't believe I'm posting an "is this a scam" post, but here I am. I'm selling a Keys 8500 treadmill on Craigslist for $1000, and I got an email from someone that just says "Keys 8500?" It's obviously a Keys 8500, because that's what I titled the ad. So I responded and sent them a link to a picture of one, and they sent this back

quote:

Thank you for getting back with me

sorry about that, My mail had been,

I'm very intrigued in this but before I buy it We need to find out if its an identical one I'm interested in because I can't afford a second slip-up If possible check out this video here I published and let me know

/play.php?pid=dsa1e5fas5yui4op&?name=#words#_special_products-forall

If its the same one I will be there right away to pay for it
Thanks
This has to be a scam, right? I'm sure as hell not clicking that link. I just don't understand what this person would be hoping to accomplish, since they're not offering to pay Paypal. Are they just trying to get me to click that link?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks guys. That's what I'd assumed. If you mouseover the link it actually directs to http://allvidssite.org so yeah, definitely just trying to get me to click. Damnit, I wanna sell this treadmill. <:mad:>

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

I have a really tall ceiling just in my entryway, maybe 20ish to 25ish feet? It's got some cobwebs in it, and I don't really know how to get them down. No broomstick is even remotely long enough and I can't seem to chuck a dust rag up high enough to get them down. I'm thinking about either attaching the dust rag to a tennis ball or a helium balloon? Is there a better idea?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, looks like I'm gonna have to buy something in order to get it done. I was trying to avoid that, but I'm just sick of looking at these drat cobwebs. Thanks!

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

If you rig up some tennis ball or helium balloon contraption make sure you video it and share it here. The mental image made me laugh.

A friend suggested I take my potato cannon and stuff a dust rag into it, then fire it at the cobwebs and film and youtube the resulting disaster.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

Is vegetable juice like V8 actually good for you?

Ehhh, you're better suited by drinking water and eating right. Juice is pretty much just sugar and loses the main benefit of veggies by having the fibre stripped out. Eat a moderate amount of veggies of varying colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

I won't argue that drinking water and eating vegetables is the better path, but V8 does have 2g of fiber per 8 oz. serving.

Yeah, V8 is definitely a better choice than, say, orange juice or any other fruit juice. It's also delicious. I'm just saying it's not the optimal choice. Besides, if you're depending on it for your vitamin intake then I would imagine a lot of the nutrients found in the veggies that get put into V8 are lost in all the processing. Tastes great though, and definitely low in sugar for juice.