Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dokmo posted:

Where do I go to post very basic questions about operating an android tablet?

Here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411557

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I just remembered why I came here in the first place. I have an email address which is just my first and last names @gmail.com, which I've had since the early days of Gmail when you needed an invite.
Apparently, there is another dude with my name (which is strange, because both of my names are fairly uncommon and my last name has a weird spelling) and this dumb motherfucker thinks that he has my email address. He goes to Brigham Young and I get receipts for all of his assignments and poo poo emailed to me, as well as stuff from his teachers and classmates and official BYU emails that say things like "Your financial information has been updated". I've replied to a few asking if they could tell the dude to fix his email address, but I haven't gotten any responses back, possibly because Mormons are all retarded assholes. I could just blacklist everything as they come in, but there's a lot of different addresses and they come from different domains. What the hell should I do?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Pweller posted:

He's probably just been making up a believable email address for paperwork based on his name so he doesn't get spam, and is completely unaware/doesn't care that it is someone's legitimate email.

ie. nothing you can do other than to unsubscribe as they come in
or look him up on facebook and message him to use bgates@microsoft.com like the rest of us.

I think there's something else going on, because a year or so ago, I got a couple of emails from his mother. I replied and told her what the deal was, and hadn't gotten anything since up until a week or so ago when this started. So I guess he's either stupid or an rear end in a top hat.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Pweller posted:

In that case he's probably just got a really lovely email address people mess up since you already took the good one :)

billsmith was taken so he's got bill_smith, billlsmith, biIIsmith, billsmith1, etc.

I sympathize dude.

I hope this is the case. I really just want to get it fixed not only because it fills up my inbox, but he's also not getting them, and some seem fairly important. Would I be able to call someone at BYU and get it fixed?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

Another neat related gmail thing, it also ignores a + at the end of the username and anything after the +. So if you're pronabater007@gmail.com you receive mail sent to pronabater007+lolbuttz@gmail.com

I don't really know how this is useful, might come in handy if you made up a +something for a craigslist ad to help sort replies or if you sign up for website like netflix you can do pronabater007+netflix@gmail.com as your email address, then you know if you see anything come through with that as the to: you know it was netflix who gave them your address.

I don't know how well it will work for tracking spam, as this is now a well-known trick and it's easily detectable (and cleaned).
([^+]+)\+?.*(@gmail.com)

e:

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Does any of the correspondence you're getting for him have a physical address or alternate email address for him?

You could try contacting the school, but I really don't think that's going to get you anywhere.

I just called them and spoke to IT. I had them open a ticket. The ticket number was only 4 digits!

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 8, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I am looking to move from the conventional wallet to something like the Flipside or Dosh, mainly because my cards get bent and/or broken all the time and I get tired of replacing them. I don't usually carry very many bills, either, so something like the aforementioned products would be perfect.

Has anybody use either of them or something similar?

I've been using a cigarette case for years, and it's nice because it's thin and holds all my poo poo easily. My few complaints (doesn't close well, no organization, a bit too wide) seem to be solved by the Flipside and now I'm considering switching to that. I'd look at the Dosh but it wants Flash and I'm too lazy to get it working on Linux.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 14, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Golbez posted:

Air conditioning in apartment has been dead since yesterday.

That reminds me, my friend works at a place where the A/C has been broken since before the summer. They've not bothered working on it, and management says the employees aren't allowed to mention the heat in front of customers. Apparently lots of customers come in and leave because it's so loving hot inside and management still doesn't seem to find that a good reason to get their poo poo fixed. It's regularly been over 100 degrees F inside. Is this some kind of OSHA violation?

e:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

She's already put in her notice.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 19, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Local department of labor would be the people to ask. I doubt they have any specific temperatures due to wildly varying workplaces. I checked and OSHA just has recommendations.

It's a goddamn fabric store. There's no reason for it to be hot. I guess I have an idea where to look now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would think that if a little alcohol could influence a (illegal) drug test, it wouldn't be a very effective test.

Maybe he's in Saudi Arabia.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

change my name posted:

Is there still a market for traditional calculators? I mean I know not everyone has a smartphone, but when I can just download a graphing calculator app in 2 minutes, it seems like the industry might be sort of redundant.

The only environment I can thing of is during a test where you would be allowed calculators. This morning I went into a QuikTrip and their power was out, so all the employees were at the counter using battery-powered calculators.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

brylcreem posted:

I've been watching Seven Days recently, and I've been thinking.

Isn't the fact that people still die in terrorist attacks and disasters, proof that time travel doesn't exist? The bombing and shooting in Norway, mass death tolls in tsunamis, 9/11 and so on.

I mean, even if we assume the government wants to keep it secret (like in Seven Days), shouldn't we see a much lower incident of attacks or at least lower death tolls?

It's not exactly a QED-proof, but either time travel doesn't exist, or the people of the future are jerks.

An easy way to dismiss that would be a rule like
"You can't travel back before the mechanism to travel backwards time was invented."

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

spog posted:

Great Scott!

You have to take a picture of the time machine with you. If it fades away then you need to fix poo poo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Yeah, all good points. I'm on my phone, so can't multi-quote.

Of course, there's also the possibility that time travelers are intervening regularly, but only in small ways, like making sure important people in the future (politicians, scientists, etc), aren't at the scenes of disasters or attacks, by causing flat tires or something :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure that the only way to "travel time" would be to invent a device that records everything and allows something to be inserted into a perfect universe simulator based on data collected. Which would also make it impossible to go back before the point of invention.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Is there a problem with using sticky notes on your actual desk or just keeping papers with this info where it would be for your eyes only?

Then he wouldn't be able to copy/paste.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

she said something about her sister saying if it was a green (it was) and not dead branch its considered an act of god no negligence on our part and he pays for the whole fence.

This is correct, you don't owe him anything. The direction that the fence faces doesn't matter, it's just most people choose to have the nice side facing them, unless it borders a street. This would be a good time to replace the fence. Maybe he takes care of getting the old one torn down and you can build a new one on your side of the property line. If that much of your tree was damaged it will probably die and then it will be your responsibility to get it taken down.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

If it makes you feel any better, 'ax' is listed as the primary spelling in the couple of online dictionaries I checked, with axe as an alternate. I see that axe is shown as a misspelled word in Chrome also. I prefer axe personally, and I feel like it is used more often as well.

At hardware stores I see it as "ax" and in games I see it as "axe" so I've always thought that an "ax" is a tool and an "axe" is a weapon.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

I get poo poo for another guy with the same name as me all the time. Usually dating site and online registration poo poo though. I really don't know what his deal is; I've never been able to figure out what his actual email address is.

I had this problem a while ago. Some dude with the same name as me used my email for his BYU account. I was getting emails from his professors and student loan crap. I replied to some of the emails being sent by humans to try to get them to contact the guy, but drat, some people are just stupid. I eventually contacted BYU's computer services department and they made the guy set up a correct email address.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Xandu posted:

Both are possible, I've had a couple fedex packages before that were "delivered" hours before they actually arrived. If it's not there by the end of the day, call or email amazon, I've never had a problem with them resending a lost package for free.

Back when DHL was still around we had this happen all the time. They get penalized if overnight shipments don't arrive at a certain time, and drivers would forge signatures so this didn't happen. When they actually delivered the package, drivers would tell the customer that no signature was necessary.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Monarch posted:

I think I might be going nuts. Is there a song, possible by a 60s or 70s rock band, that starts very similarly to the Venture's The Wanderer? I've re-listened to the start a good fifty times now but I can't tell why it sounds so familiar to me. I feel like I listened to the song a lot when I was younger, but I only recently started listening to Ventures songs.

Paint it, Black?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Why haven't the "Cardholder Services" assholes been shut down? I got two calls from those dicks today. Whatever kind of "business" they're doing is just to scam idiots. These guys have been operating for years and it's ridiculous that they haven't been stopped. I'm sure they're breaking a number of laws, certainly one being whichever pertains to the do not call registry thing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

How quickly can DNS change?
When I ping mail.global.frontbridge.com, I get different addresses, and even different subnets in the span of 30 seconds. It's a Microsoft-hosted mail server and I think they're doing this for some kind of load balancing, but we get failures for one of the IPs. How in the hell do they do that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Also if you have an issue like that you can just add a working one to your hosts file:

We can't do this because it's doing a direct MX lookup instead of a DNS lookup so it happens on the outside. We redirected it in our router.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

If you're making the earth a sphere, it would just be
((circumference of earth in feet) / 2) seconds

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

According to wolfram alpha, then 2 years 1 month 11 hours 4 minutes 50 seconds, which isn't nearly as long as I thought it would be.

That's effectively the time it would take if you were traveling from one pole to another at the rate of 1 foot/second. If you want to know how long it would take for a growing circle on a 2d plane to have the same area as the surface area of the earth, it would be much smaller:
surface area of the earth = pi r^2
r = sqr(surface area of the earth / pi)
r is the radius of the circle, which would give you the seconds.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

My last pack of checks I bought was 10+ years ago and it lasted me through 4 moves having the wrong address, I'm out now.

I'm looking at the BOA website and I've found where to order but I can't find anything that shows how much it costs. I can probably find out this going into a branch but I'm wondering if there's maybe a cheaper website or something to have checks printed, anyone?

When I ran out (similar situation), I just went to the branch and asked for more checks. They mailed them to me and it didn't cost me anything. I don't use BOA, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Besesoth posted:

b) getting instruments that BOA is under absolutely no obligation to honor.

Are you sure about this? I work with a guy that used to work at a bank and the only thing that makes a check is the stuff printed on it. You should be able to use a rock (he said this has happened) as long as you get everything on there. Someone at the bank then puts this information onto a replacement slip so that they can process it normally.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Many banks do accept "foreign" "checks" as a matter of course - I believe the canonical example is a cow - but no bank is required to, and that's my point. If you're comfortable using an instrument that your bank is under no obligation to honor, even knowing that they'll probably honor it, hey, your call.

You're still giving away all the information needed to perform a wire transfer and suck all the money out of your account, though.

I'm not saying it's ok to use one of these companies, but I don't think you'll ever encounter a problem where your bank won't honor the check (unless you don't have the money).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Where can I get the fix for Chrome that enables me to click timgs to enlarge them on the forums? Just reinstalled windows and it's driving me nuts :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=378#post387668104

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Are you guys talking about a punch down block?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Oh. We call those cable clips.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CG4Q8wIwAA

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

I have been absolutely scouring the Internet for whatever this amazing music is in this particular Immortals spot that aired during last week's episode of South Park. If anyone can figure it out I'd love to know, it sounds like a dark electonic, NIN type band if you have knowledge in that area. Here is a link to the miserable quality video I recorded of the spot with my phone. I'm really hoping this isn't an in house work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J53UZcefI1M

EDIT: And yeah, cross-posting and searching AdTunes as well...
E. I am retarded, somehow my music started playing the same time I clicked your link.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 16, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dionaea House?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

marshmallard posted:

I'm pretty sure they're for newspapers. How would outgoing mail even stay there? Would a letter sit safely on them if there was a breeze?

Also the phrase 'drive to a public dropbox' is laughably American. Of course you wouldn't... I dunno... walk.

They're for outgoing mail. I use a clothespin to keep letters from flying away. Maybe you can walk to the dropbox if it's a block or so away, but I'm 2 miles away from the nearest one and that's an hour of my time at a brisk 4Mph, and I'm sure there are others that live much further.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

If I got a laptop with a solid state drive, would it last me a long time without deteriorating and then breaking down because there are no moving parts?

They're relatively new technology, but everything points to them being more reliable than rotating drives. I've seen a video of a guy throwing one off a 3rd floor balcony, plugging it in and it working fine. SSDs are also significantly faster in reads and writes. The only real disadvantages versus rotating drives are smaller capacities and higher cost per gigabyte. Flash memory also wears out, but any drive you can get now will have built in wear-leveling and should last long after it's obsolete (I've seen some reports saying decades of constant writes).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Our customers love paper. We needed some data from them. They had the data in a spreadsheet, they pasted it into a Word document, printed it and then mailed it to us. After it got here, we scanned it, OCRd it, corrected the OCR errors and then input the data. Our customers refuse to just email us the data. Is this a common thing, or do we just put up with way more stupid poo poo than most people?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

overseerbrian posted:

We have the same problem, especially with our larger customers. There are probably some hidden columns or formulas they don't want you to see. Especially when there are multiple clients in the same workbook; they want to make it as unlikely as possible that you be able to see other clients data.

I'm absolutely certain this is not the case and that they are just incompetent. The particular data isn't even sensitive and we have a VPN to them that could be used as well. Maybe "refuse" was the wrong word. The phrase "are not smart enough" would probably have been more accurate. Getting them to put data on a USB drive and mail it to us would be more difficult than getting Congress to agree on something. Our customer does retarded things on a regular basis that we have to fix. I was just wondering if this kind of stuff was common.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I'm guessing its more dependent on who you work with. I work at a survey research facility and our customers tend to be academics and major research institutions, so we don't have that much of an issue in terms of not being able to get them to give us data sets.

Now the state the data sets are in....

If we're lucky we'll get an rtf, which is at least has real digital data, but the data is positioned using twips so it's drat near impossible to extract automatically. Sometimes we'll get forwarded jpgs that were emailed from their scanner to them because it's easier for them to print something out and then feed it back into the same machine than it is to attach it to an email. If we're really lucky, we'll get a spreadsheet with 87 images in it and relevant data. Usually they'll put the identifier in one row, then data pertaining to it in the next X rows, followed by another identifier. I don't understand how some of these people get dressed in the morning much less use a computer. You guys are making it sound like this isn't a normal scenario.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Advice

This would be great, but it's not possible. It's impossible for us to get our customer to change anything they do, no matter how good the reason. I was just trying to see if anyone else had to deal with the same problems.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TLG James posted:

Ah well crap. All I know is in the first level you are going down through each passage way and there are timed spike walls that rush at you are super fast speeds and then back up slowly. Its like seriously a 3 meg .exe file on computers.

edit:

It's I wanna be the guy.

Thanks

Not sure how far you've gotten, but if I remember correctly, you don't have to deal with the spikes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the posted:

If i use a 12V DC output plug with a 7.5V DC powered sign, what will happen? It "works" but will it heat up or something?

So you have an AC adapter that outputs 12VDC and a device that wants 7.5VDC? It's ok to have more amps, as they are drawn and not delivered, but voltage is a difference in potential between the two conductors and that's what you're going to get. Most devices have a pretty good tolerance for these kinds of things, but that's a pretty big jump and your device might get damaged.