Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm pretty sure I'm finally dealing with a deadbeat seller on eBay. The auction ended and I sent payment on August 22, and there was an estimated shipping time of 3-8 business days. He hasn't responded to any of my messages about this. The guy had 100% positive feedback as of then, but now negative feedback's coming in with people saying the same stuff.

This was only for a handheld vacuum cleaner that cost me $10, but I want my money back.

Looking for a guide on the subject, I found this: http://reviews.ebay.com/WIN-YOUR-CLAIM-AGAINST-DEAD-BEAT-SELLERS_W0QQugidZ10000000001863725

Guide posted:

* By using PayPal, you have an automatic dispute channel. Their are two different services and the one they advertise has a fee that is fairly high and unless your buying $100+ items, it exceeds the cost of the original price. The one I use has No Fee, and I file my version of the complaint and the seller has X days to respond. Often they do not respond and I automatically win. This results in a refund from their PayPal account or opens the door to my bank credit card dispute department.

Does anyone know what channel this guy's talking about? It sounds like a good idea here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

How would one go about getting a ticket to a Borders book signing online? I saw a sign advertising Amy Sedaris' on November 13th yesterday, and the website just gives details, no purchase option I can find. I'd rather not spend another few hours on the L just to pick up a ticket tomorrow.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

marshmallard posted:

Do you definitely need a ticket? I don't know about America but in England you just turn up on the day and queue.

On her website it mentions it's a ticketed event and two of the other appearances on the tour are already sold out.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is there some way to sort all of your favorites on stumbleupon by most views or something other than the default "reverse order they were added"? I know you can sort by individual category, but I don't know how to do anything else.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there some way to sort all of your favorites on stumbleupon by most views or something other than the default "reverse order they were added"? I know you can sort by individual category, but I don't know how to do anything else.

Anybody?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Okay, this is a really dumb question. For my 20th century lit class, one little thing we had to do for the next class was to find what two obscure allusions were in a quote (it's from The Sun Also Rises and like ten seconds of googling turns up that it refers to Portrait of a Lady and The Jew of Malta).

Before online search engines, how would somebody find what something like that alludes to? Would you have to just find a book analyzing The Sun Also Rises and hope they address that?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

You could go to a library (!) and look at an edition that was annotated or had pages half-filled with footnotes breaking down every sentence or pour through these giant rear end books that were dictionaries of allusions/symbolism/etc. If you think typing the right Google Search term is hard, try finding with the one, exact phrase a literary historian 50 years ago thought was appropriate in densely-packed pages of 6 pt. font.

I have a couple of these because they're great to flip through; turn to "Knot" read a paragraph on the Gordian knot, on the origin of "stomach in knots", on the importance of knots to sailors.

Thanks, an annotated edition makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Just to clarify I wouldn't say that googling the right term is hard at all, like I said it took about ten seconds to get both, I just realized that I had no idea what to do if I couldn't use the internet to find it. Also, I had no idea dictionaries of symbolism existed, those sound absurd.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is there a technical term for a bias where someone rates the first thing they see too strongly (like if I went to a theater and saw Arthur, Hanna, and Meek's Cutoff back to back to back. If I gave Arthur an eight on a scale of ten directly after seeing it, but then thought the other movies were far better after seeing them, realizing I should have ranked Arthur as a 6)

I feel like this definitely exists, and I'm drawing a blank.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is there any service like ProQuest that would carry 1960s-era articles from the Miami Herald? The Herald has a database on their site, but it only covers 1982-present and the 1910s-20s in the historical part.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Xandu posted:

That means they likely aren't archived online. Try a library, especially from the Miami area. If it's really important, there's likely a paper or microfiche archive somewhere.

The Miami library thing would be helpful, but I'm living in Illinois at the moment, haha. I was hoping for some kind of online source, but I've found scans of some of the specific articles I was looking for on websites connected with what I'm looking into. Thanks for the answers, though!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I ordered a couple of books on Amazon Prime on the 16th with free two-day shipping. One still hasn't arrived here, no problem. The tracking on the other one says that it was signed for at the door on the 20th. I didn't sign for anything and there's nothing in my apartment's mailbox.

Who do I contact about this?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

There's like a one word name for a kind of super-Catholic religious retreat that features a lot of group activities and secret letters from parents - I want to say it's like one word with four syllables starting with an S or an N.

I had to go on one at my super religious high school (in Kansas) and I thought it was a local thing until hearing a coworker talking about the same thing years later that she went to in Illinois - their program used the normal name for it, ours was just billed as a spiritual retreat or something. This came up in a conversation earlier today and I can't think of the name whatsoever.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

That's absolutely it and I was off-base with that last part re: the four syllables/n or s. Thanks!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I did this at my Illinois catholic school, could fill an ask thread with poo poo about it. It was messed up, even by catholic standards.

Even if it's just a PM to me or something, I'd love to hear it. I was talking about how insane it was to someone earlier today who was raised mainly in a protestant setting and I think I had a pretty mild one.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm on vacation in Maine and want to bring back a bunch of little blueberry jelly jars on my flight back (and don't have any bags I'm going to check) - for the TSA's purposes, those are liquids and have to be in the quart ziploc bag of liquids when I'm going through security, right?

(I'm usually in Chicago where you can't sell airplane bottles of liquor and I wanted to bring some back, but probably RIP that idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Some cursory googling says that bringing an empty flask is fine via TSA rules - in order to be as unobtrusive as possible, is it best to put it in my carry-on or personal bag? I feel like the former means they have to deal with it directly and the latter looks like I'm trying to hide it and I don't know which of those is worse.