Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Some suggestions for the first post:

General Movie Questions Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2871728

Identify a book for me thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

Identify a movie for me thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

onesickvdub posted:

Ismt there a way to make it a normal, old school PDF? Where every page is essentially a picture??

Pdfs are almost never just picture of the page. They can be, but they rarely are.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Changing the oil is super easy. I'm not a car person (I don't even own one), but I've done it. However, once you factor in the cost of the filter & oil, you end up spending about $20... the same price you'd be charged at a shop.

This is so very true. Add to that the fact that you have to pay to properly dispose of used motor (or commit a felony by illegally dumping it) and there is no reason to ever change your oil yourself.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dudebro posted:

How do I avoid having YouTube immediately remove my video for copyright content when I see that there are many other uploaders who have the same content up but not removed for a long time?

YouTube like the other high profile upload places store hashes of uploaded content. If your upload has been removed for cause when someone else uploaded it, then any time you upload something that matches a blacklisted hash, it will be automatically removed.

Shorten it by a 1/2 second and the hash will not longer match, and then it will require an actual DMCA claim to be removed, rather than being automatically rejected.

(this is true for Rapidshare, megaupload etc.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anjow posted:

Say I've got a diver's bottle that is empty. I weight it and it's 10kg to the nearest mg. I then get it filled up to 300 bar with high pressure air and weight it again. Would it weigh more or the same?

You got the answer, but here's something to think about that will make the answer make sense:

Why do Helium balloons rise in the sky? Because the air (helium) in them is less dense than the air outside. An 'empty' scuba tank has normal air in it. When you fill it with high pressure air, then then the air inside the tank is much much denser than the air outside so it would sink if it were not for the floor. SO it is heavier.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Akuma posted:

That's loving retarded. It's like somebody read about the Observer Effect and didn't understand it. It's like asking if a tree falls in the woods and no-one's around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, because the waves of sound are still flying out from the loving tree that's falling over.

You are misunderstanding the depth of the quantum mechanical ideas.

It's not that the measurement effects things. It is that things are specifically not determined/unspecified until they are measured.

The world is undetermined until measured, as in just what Morgan Freeman said: unspecified until measured. Nothing can be said about something without measurement. (And then another different problem happens because measurement affects reality. But uncertainty is a whole 'nother can of worms.)

Read more about the double slit experiments. There is nothing that makes 'sense' about the double slit experiment. It just is, period. Things actually are undetermined. The particle goes through both slits and interferes with itself, which makes no sense.

But then again quantum effects are completely unrelated to the world of people size objects so we don't experience them.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

Note that in quantum mechanics, "observation" and "measurement" are satisfied by merely having inanimate atoms bump into whatever is in question. You don't need someone actually going out and trying to observe/measure to have the "observation" effects occur.

Not quite correct. The two slit in a perfect example of needing an actual measurement. Prior to the measurement on the backscreen, the particle travels through both slits (which of course in nonsensical in the non quantum world).

The two slits do not measure (because they do not locate) however so they do not determine.

It does actually need an measuring observer to collapse the wave function.

A particle to particle interaction is a measurement because it determines location and momentum.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

On Sunday September 26, a person I know needs to get something notarized. They will be staying at a hotel just down the street from New York City's Jacob Javits Convention Center.

Does anyone from the New York area know about where the nearest notary is located, or any other sort of help ful info? A call to the hotel's front desk got me absolutely nowhere since the front desk person kept suggesting banks and other places that will obviously be closed on Sunday. They suggested that my person could just ask at the front desk when they arrive, but the phone call suggests that the front desk will be less than helpful.

Does anyone local have any ideas?

Is there a freeform concierge service that operates in the NYC area that makes stuff like this happen for business travelers?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Foodahn posted:

Pretty much any UPS store or Mailboxes ETC or FedEx location or anything like that will have a notary on staff. If you call them beforehand I'm sure they could help you out. If not, a simple 'Notary in NYC' google search will do fine. There are probably 10,000 notaries in NYC, shouldn't be a problem at all.

This should be true, but since there is no time search for one once there, the hope is that someone from NYC who knows the area will say 'this here is nearby' and open. Notary are always avaialable during weekday business hours at business hotels, but generally not avaialable on Sunday or nights etc. This is probably the case for most other locations. I also have no idea what's close to what.

A google search gets mobile notaries, but for whatever reason, this person wants to go to a location to get it done rather than have them come to her.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Fun image! It took me awhile, but a Google Image Search for art print dogs expressionism led me to Roy De Forest. This particular painting, Country Dog Gentlemen resides at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

As it often the case with images, it's Tin Eye's first search hit, done with the picture the guy posted directly, too:

http://www.tineye.com/search/e16f18635e111dfbad483211128a15e47d999a47/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Bodhi Tea posted:

After washing a few shirts of mine and then letting them air-dry, they smell strongly of detergent. I usually use the dryer and never noticed such a smell.
Is this normal for air-drying clothing?

Yes IME. In japan everything smells of detergent of the clothes (In Japan everything is air dryed.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

Wired features a different package in each issue and prints an image of the package along with giving the sender some prize. I don't have an issue handy, but it's in the print version only and they don't mention anything about it on their website or online version.

NOt that I have a link, but I read all about it online (Having not bought/read any magazines in years, I know it was online.)

It was when I was trying to fugure out how to send bicycle tires that I read about it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a beginner bicycle to be used mainly for exercise and a few trips around town per week? Hopefully a hybrid or equivalent in case I want to take it down some of the easier trails around here, and one that won't break the bank. All the bikes I test feel okay, but there's no real way to test the durability and long-term comfort. I was kinda looking at either a Giant Sedona or a Fuji Crosstown 4.0, any problems with those?

I would ask in the bicycle megathread, but long story short they're not very helpful over there for regular folks.

Here's my general take on bicycles: You can buy a $100 bike at Walmart that you can ride. It will not be put together right (sometimes hilariously/dangerously so), and no one there can fix it. You will be paying someone at an actual bike shop to fix it if you actually use it.

You can buy a $200.00 bike at a bike shop that is assembled correctly, and comes with a 30 day tuneup (bikes need this because lots of things on bikes like all the cabling can really only be stretched by use, and need adjusting once they are broken in).

As to which bike, just buy whatever the local bike shop recommends. Let your body tell you how it feels and then add that to whatever they are saying. You will need a shop to do the adjustments/maintenance, so just buy what the local shop sells. The shop is the only place that has any real concentration of local riders, and local conditions will affect more about which bike is good than anything else.

Maintenance, Adjustment, and Fit are an order of magnitude more important than brand with a bicycle, so brand does not really matter. Buy what your local shop sells.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

change my name posted:

What's the point of cruisers anyways? They're big, heavy, ugly and slow.

They are also comfortable, and bulletproof, and extremely practical. There is a reason they are called beach cruisers. Other bikes fall apart in harsh weather. cruisers with no cabling and a much heavier chain will run for decades without manintenance, even in salt water environment.

Crusier are extremely practical. Big tires mean no pinch flats. And it's very easy to hang five bags of groceries from the handlebars. Never met a cruiser that did not have a built into the frame kickstand. Bikes without kickstand are just toys, like snow skis.

People who use bikes as toys, and people who use bikes as tools are rarely going to agree on bikes. It's like a Lambourghini versus a Sentra. Which one will lose parts driving over a speed bump, and which one do people who don't even want to have tothink about having a car will drive?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 16, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

change my name posted:

Are kickstands not usually found on "real" bikes? When I got mine the guy at the shop put one on.

Point is put on, means can fall off or get loose. Cruiser have the built into the frame kind which are way way more durable.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Fists Up posted:

From the last page but basically from when I bought my bike the more expensive bikes wont have them because they are not too stable. If that $5000 falls over from the kick stand then it can cost money whereas using a proper stand/hanger which wont budge or lieing it on the ground won't do any damage.

Plus they get in the way when mountain biking sometimes

These are very good points.

In general the more 'practical' the bike, though, the less falling over would hurt it in any way shape or form though.

The best kickstands I have seen are the Japanese one that are not the lean type at all. They cannot be used on bikes with deraillers (though they can be used with internal hub gearing)
http://themaninjapan.net/archives/bicycle

Of course, Japanese kickstand have to be stable because the cargo that is in them is often babies:
http://bikehugger.com/2008/11/from-japan-tradition-and-techn.html
In addition, Japanese bikes often use front fork stabilizers that lock the front wheel from turning when parked which makes installing de-installing the babies (or other heavy cargo) even more painless. I had one of these front babyloader bikes (with no baby) just for the combination of fork lock and weight distribution that made heavy loads no problem. (they use a smaller front wheel and high rise handlebars to put the weight below the center of gravity of the bike in motion.

There are attachable kickstands that faintly approximate the two sidedness, but no good single focus links so I will just put the name: SKS Pletscher Double Kickstand

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

Sidewalk biking is rarely illegal outside of cities, and usually much less dangerous than street biking outside cities.

It's actually much less dangerous in any circumstances, which is why a country like Japan that use bikes as part of the actual transportation solution put the bikes on the sidewalks especially in urban areas (and make the sidewalks much bigger, don's allow right on red, etc., etc.)

The weight of a person on a bike is in the same order of magnitude as a person not on a bike. The weight of a car is roughly thirty times the weight of a person (on a bike or not).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Talibananas posted:

There isn't a rule that says that students don't have to pay the income tax.

If you were working very part-time and only made a few thousand bucks during the tax year, you would have had no tax liability. If your friend worked more or was better paid, he might have had to pay taxes, or he might have filed his tax forms even if he owed no taxes.

The usual thing separating student age people taxes is whether they are claimed on someone else's tax return. The personal exemption of a self filer is very large, while the exemption of someone claimed by somone else is not at all large.

Now that grants are considered income, that matters too.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

So I finally bought a bike from the local bike store, and the large caps at the top of the front shocks are differing colors; the one on the left is silver and flat while the one on the right is raised and black. Is this normal from the factory? The thing was supposed to be brand new.

Lower range front forks on bikes usually have one adjustable shock, and one non-adjustable one, so they look different.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anjow posted:

Has anyone else noticed youtube changing your settings back to show annotations again and again? I have, many times, turned off the 'show annotations' setting in my preferences yet it keeps getting turned back on after a while.

Also, is there a way to always make it use the larger player? That's another setting it seems to remember for a few days then magically forget.

If you ever figure this out, I would love to know the answer too, but...

(My impression, likely mistaken, is that they are working on the site so much that they themselves are breaking things. Example: they broke Flash a while back, and fixed it for the popular browsers quickly, but took a week and a half to fix it for Opera, which made it obvious that they are pretty constantly working on the code.

Google is remarkably bad at openness in their dealings, and never acknowledged that they broke Flash, or that they fixed it.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

WillieWestwood posted:

But the Wayback Machine has it archived.

From the Crowe puff piece:

quote:

Working at hyperspeed, laboring days at a petroleum company to finance his budding career as a singer and song-writer, Vedder...

from the Wikipedia article

quote:

The tape made its way into the hands of vocalist Eddie Vedder, who was working as a San Diego gas station attendant at the time.

Nice obfuscation, Cameron Crowe.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Here's my PDF question: all I want is a PDF reader that lets me do highlights (for Mac).
Any ideas?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

I do highlights all the time in Preview. Shift + Command + H.

I have heard that Preview did this before, but it has never worked for me. Does this do permanent highlighting? Does it highlight in non-OCR documents?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

I'm an ESL teacher in Korea. I have a student who lived in the US for 4 years and she says "I cut my hair at the weekend". To me that isn't what she meant and it should be "I got my hair cut". Is it an American v British difference or is she wrong?

It's funny what is legal if you are a native speaker, and what isn't if you are not. My non-native English speaking friend worked with locals in Hawaii (if you have never lived here in Hawaii, it's hard to explain just how not American English sounding the English here can get), and she ended up saying all kinds of things that I would start to correct her on, but then I would hear a local say the same thing, and when they said it it sounded fine. I ended up just correcting her timing and pronunciation only. In a few years, she ended up fooling people into thinking she was born in Hawaii, because she was an excellent mimic, and fully immersed, and I stopped confusing her with unhelpful corrections.

To me, what your person said is dead wrong, but if someone said it with a British accent, I would never think it was wrong, because the British simply don't speak the same language as Americans in some pretty interesting ways.. I frequently have no idea what is going on in certain scenese with British TV shows I watch the first time through.

Where did this person live in the US? If it was Hawaii, expect a lot more 'incorrect' English.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

I always thought prison was were the bad poo poo happened and jail was :airquote: OK :airquote: if not crowded... I worked with a guy who was in prison for a few years and I didn't bring it up to often for obvious reasons but the couple times we did talk about it, it seemed pretty bad... Never heard or asked about rape or anything, again, for obvious reasons, but it seemed like it was pretty horrible.

And he was a pretty big dude. Pretty racist too, which I always attributed to his time in prison.

Here's one important difference. Jail is often a big open cell with as many people as need to fit. Prison is a stable population with a legally defined (through case law suits brought by inmates, and their advocates) maximum population.

So you could have forty people in a jail cell, but not a prison cell.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Cultural reference question:

I am just watching Archer for the first time, and the "Waa-waa" (for lack of a better way to write it) seems to have appeared on things like 30 Rock as well. Is there a first place that appeared? And when did it appear?

(I have not had a TV in forever, so a lot of cultural references have passed me by.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Harms posted:

I just got a new laptop and I'm looking for a good antivirus software. Preferably something that's lightweight, minimally invasive and good for gaming (i.e. doesn't pop up a million windows all the time, or randomly start scanning and slow my system to a crawl). Had some bad experiences with programs like that in the past. Also something free or reasonably cheap would be great, although I don't mind spending more for something that's worth it.

Isn't this a job for Microsoft's own MSE? (Is it still free?)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Kobalt posted:

Also, do your damndest to not fail interviews. If you fail a couple times, the temp agency starts to "forget" about you and considers you unhirable.

Beacuse I don't know anything about temp agencies, I am not sure what to ask, but can you explain that?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eyeball posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't interview for the positions a temp agency sends you to. That's the advantage of hiring a temporary worker. If the company was going to go through the whole process of screening applicants and everything, they would just do it themselves and pay the $9/hour, rather than pay $12-15 an hour or whatever for $9 an hour worth of work.

I think you guys are talking about another kind of agency.

I guess this is what I am thinking. An employment agency would send you for interviews, a temp agancy would send pre-screened workers stright for work.

I know nothing about either but I guess that's why temp agency and interview don't work in my head.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I am watching a bunch of historical documentaries for school, and this is just jumping out at me.

Why do all these period pieces make every character speak with a 'Received Pronunciation' English accent, when they are in Germany, France, etc.? (Or for that matter even when they are British?)

Is this all just part of the 'Americans think smart people speak with a British accent' thing? Are all the actors in documentaries actually British?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 1, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is the word 'capping' for grabbing sports broadcast for later posting with torrents an abbreviation for 'capturing'?

(Thanks).

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 1, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

melaneyelia posted:

No, it's today. I'm thinking of a treasure hunt or something, but i don't have any treasures.

No woman (Assuming you are a woman) can ever understand just how silly this statement sounds to male ears.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Binowru posted:

Are there any legal hoops to jump through if a band wants to put a cover song on their CD? Like, does Led Zeppelin get a cut of the profits for every band that's recorded a version of "Whole Lotta Love"?

One specific interesting case is that the Beastie Boys did a version of 'I'm Down' that they wanted to put on record, but Michael Jackson (who owned the rights) would not allow them to release it as a record. (though he could not stop them from performing it live if they had wanted to).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My apartment has carpet, not too deep but not berber either. I have an area rug that is in the living room. It moves around and bunches up a lot, though. Is there anything I can put under it to keep it in place? I know, "don't put carpet on carpet, idiot," but it really ties the room together.

My roommate won't let me nail it in :mad:

THere are products that designed to handle that. Go to a place that handles 'Oriental' Rugs for instance, because people do put them over already installed carpeting. Best to take pictures that give them some idea of the loft of the underlying rug, and the backing of the upper rug.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 3, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a way to have firefox open a pile of in a new window with a bunch of tabs in it?

There are a bunch of sites I don't always need but when I need them, I need all of them. They are filled with Flash and Animated Gifs, and they wear down my battery and make my lap hot when I just leave them open.

SO I would like to have a one button press to open these ten tabs.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

What browser are you using? It looks like in Chrome you can right-click on a bookmarks folder and click "Open all bookmarks." It looks like FF has something similar, "Open all in tabs". If you're using IE, er, stop it.

Thank you for pointing out something that apparently I never noticed, even though I saw it a couple hundred times.

It is built right into Firefox as you say. (Safari lets you turn it into a one click button, but a drop down in good enough.)

Thanks again.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

There's pretty much always someone in the house and we keep it between 76-79 in the summer. When it gets cold we'll open the blinds primarily, obviously :)
I don't think they're CFL (those are the curly ones right?) but I'll look into them when these burn out.

Nice stuff about CFLs: way more energy efficient, way less heat produced, last 4 or five times as long.

Bad stuff about CFLs: big time toxic waste when they do finally die.

At some point we will get to LEDs which last forever.

CFLS will save you on your A/C because they really do make less heat.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eyeball posted:

Take the bulbs you have now and put them in a box and put it in a cabinet in your kitchen or bathroom. Then just swap them back when you move out.

Seconding this. CFLs last so long that you probably want to take them with you anyway. Light bulbs rarely last the length of a lease. CFLs do.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Speaking of CFLs and landlords, has anyone else noticed that the new Futurama episodes look a lot more like The Simpsons than they used to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

Can someone tell me why the gently caress battlebots went off air? God drat.

Because they started Sean Slibury's broadcast career? But I agree. If they had outlawed wedge bots, and banned covered wheels, that would have helped.