Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

M. Tenebra posted:

I recently moved a couple files to a usb stick, forgetting to back them up on my computer. I now try to use the usb stick and I either can't see the files, or I can see the files but can neither view nor copy them to my computer.

Is there a program to fix the drive or recover the data?

IME USB problems are usually related to insufficient power. Try different ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Long Wang posted:

Someone told me that WD-40 shouldn't be used as a lubricant on metal because it's water based and will eventually cause rusting. Is this true?

Don't trust the person who told you that because they are hilariously mistaken. It makes about as much sense as saying the reason people get electrocuted when wet is because electricity is made of water.

DELETED posted:

It shouldn't be used to lubricate things because it attracts a lot of dirt and debris, and doesn't really work out well in the long term.

If this is true for wd-40, then it is 100 times true for grease, which is the usual other option.

WD-40 is great for freeing bolts other slightly rusty bits.

Anything that can get rusty needs grease in the ideal, but unsealed grease makes for short life span for moving metal parts because the grease traps hard bits of rock and whatnot and then acts like an abrasive.

WD-40 is a reasonable alternative, because it does not attract dirt compared to the alternative (grease), and because it is quick and easy. But if you can spray it with wd-40 it is open to the elements and thus it will rust. In other words, things that get rusty, get rusty. And there is little that can be done to stop it in many cases. WD-40 is much better than nothing, but it will need to be applied many times. And compared to grease it is much better for exposed moving parts. If they are non-moving parts marine grease is great for preventing corrosion, but incredibly messy.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

How does graphite tend to fare in these situations? All I really know is that my dad had a tube of the stuff he kept around the house when I was little, and used it to lubricate the door hinges when they'd stick or squeak.

Yeah, graphite and solid wax are great. Especially in things like locks where both grease and WD-40 will muck things up to the point of non-functioning. But they are both pretty useless for rusted stuff.

Brass bits don't really rust*, so there's no need for WD-40 or grease. Plus graphite is specifically good for locks which need lubricants with no shear strength (mostly solid lubricants).

Using WD-40 or grease on non rusting parts is pointless at best, and destructive at worst.

(But I live in violently corrosive environments (atomized salt water), so everything rusts or corrodes. Titanium is my friend.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

What is it that causes some tissues to be much more prone to cancer than others, aside from obvious carcinogen exposure? Perhaps better-phrased, breast and prostate cancer have enormous prevalence compared to, say, kidney cancer. Why is that?

There is some evidence that at least for breast cancer, there is some correlation to impact injuries. Boobies stick out, thus they get bumped because there is not enough muscle/bone tissue there for fully developed proprioreception, they say.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I acccidentally upgraded my itunes to iTUnes 10, and the arrows that used to link me to various things (itunes store, my own library) have disappeared.

Does anyone know how to make them reappear?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

You didn't say what OS you are using.

Mac instructions:
http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/17753/Arrow-behavior-in-iTunes-10.0.1

You are a god among men/women/children. Search was getting me nowhere.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a website that does nothing but list what music plays in what particular epside of a TV show?

I am finally watching CSI (1st season) and there is a bunch of incidental music that I would love to figure out.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

SpiDeR posted:

I make "pretty" chainmaile and linked chain bracelets/etc out of silver. I currently hand cut my jump rings by hand with a jeweler's saw. I know that various places offer to sell me jump rings but I tend to use larger than what they offer or weird square/triangle wire not offered. I was looking for a reliable way to cut the these 14ga & 16ga semi-precious metal rings via a not-handsaw process.

Tried a dremel but haven't found a blade that got as thin as I need nor built a jig that keeps things stable. Suggestions?

Just a tip: there is a metalwork megathread at SA:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

Maybe there's tomething useful there.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

As mentioned I am catching up on the first season of CSI. In one episode, the comment is made that some child of a rich family should have a cell phone with the line:

"A rich family like that, the kid should have a cellphone right?"

Are there any kids without cellphones now? Have things changed that much in ten years?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

"Chicken Skin" is a Hawaii term for goosebumps. Do non-Hawaii Englihs speakers use the term Chicken SKin?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

baquerd posted:

Every prescription medicine I've ever seen says that if you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible or skip it, and never to take a double dose. Is anyone aware of medications that are indicated to double up?

MOst SSRIs are in a weird palce with respect to this. Skipping a dose can cause life changing side effects in a small number of people.

Also Birth control.

(Not a doctor)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Alright I'm guessing you already talked to a few doctors and none of them could give you answer so they told you to ask some goons. Right?

Doctors, almost without exception, ignore unpublished side effects of drugs to protect their professional liability. Espcieally when those side effects happen after stopping taking the drug.

The SSRI lawsuits (especially concerning the sudden withdrawal side effects) revealed that doctors who should have been aware of new side effects because they were being reported from literally hundreds of patients to the same doctor would simply not process the patient reports of side effects. In particular, once the patient stopped taking the SSRIs the doctor just ignored reports of side effects, because they just were not making what should have been an obvious connection.

The desire to protect themselves from liability makes it impossible for doctors to actually listen to patient reported side effects. If they acknowledge them, they admit potential liability. So congitive dissonance makes them unable to process side effects that have not already been acknowledged by the drug manunfacturer.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Raimundus posted:

I've heard "teens" used to describe the 1910's, so that'd probably work.

Agreeeing with this.

Historically decades (like all history) is referred to historically. From where we stand we use relative terms: In the next ten years etc, in this decade, in the last decade, etc.

Famous example: Kennedy did not say we would put a man on the moon in the 'sixties'; he said we would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade (even though he was referring to the sixties).

Referring to current times with historical labels just guarantees that you are using a word with an expiration date. History decides (after the fact) what the past is called. Probably the fact the 2000 was such a big deal has made people really want to agonize about it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I really like Keynote, the Mac presentation program, is there anything similar for the PC? Besides powerpoint.

I think you need to be more specific to get anywhere with that question. I have trouble explaining what the difference is between them to people.

Even though I prefer Keynote mostly, I prefer PowerPoint for for some stuff like printing out handouts.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Pucklynn posted:

I'm an American student studying Korean and I'm trying to find Korean-language e-books and I'm having absolutely zero luck. Does anyone know any good websites to buy/creatively acquire such books?

Related question: Is it possible for me to register for Korean book-selling websites? Most Korean websites require a National ID number or Foreign Registration Number, neither of which are available to me given that I live in America and have no Korean paperwork at all. I've tried emailing various websites but the responses I receive are less than helpful.

Thanks!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197163

Korean lanaguage thread here at SA.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Idran posted:

Also, the US isn't nearly as hyper-litigious as is commonly perceived. Most such frivolous lawsuits that you hear about in the news are either dismissed the instant they hit trial if not before, or they aren't really frivolous, they just get bad press due to either misinterpretation by the media and general public, or heavy media spin on the part of the defendant.

Seconding this point.

The case of the woman burned by coffee at the MacDonalds drive through is case in point.

http://bit.ly/bd3J7x

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

Probably, but nothing will give you a coronary after one bite, it doesn't work like that.

Super Size Me has made people into idiots about the effect of diet on health.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Avocadoes posted:

How in the world does vibration in cell phones and or video game controllers work? Is some sort of circular disk hitting with an outward "leg" spinning at high velocities and hitting another object?

Also vibrators dammit.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anjow posted:

Are any non-prescription sleep medications effective? Or are they all snake oil.

Benedryl (allergy medication) puts most everyone to sleep. Also efb.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

nous_ posted:

What happens if you click a "Local mom makes $4000/mo from home!" ad? Obviously it's a scam, but what do they actually try to sell you/get you to do? Presumably it's some kind of affiliate marketing thing, but they won't tell you until you give them your e-mail.

Not necessary a scam, but they definitely require the work from home people to buy materials.

Example: people who do medical billing from home make money from home, and have to pay for the materials to get started. So it's a scam, because you have to pay up front, but it's not a scam, because you can actually make money long term.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

chachu posted:

Ehhh, I'm gonna partially disagree with you on this one. Sure there are plenty of companies that have taken medical billing and turned it very, very scammy (especially the kind that advertise in cheap magazines), but it's actually a legitimate career and there are legitimate schools (which, yes, do require that you pay up front for your training). I am gonna disagree and say that paying up front doesn't make something a scam. I do medical transcription, and I paid $1600 for five months of training from an actual school. Sure, it was all online, but it was absolutely not scammy at all. I graduated and make $20+/hour working from home, so I don't think a blanketing statement like that really applies. That said, most of those stupid ads are probably either for those things where they pay you to stuff envelopes or you sell crappy crap from their warehouse on your crappy crap website or something.

My point was that people tend to blanket label the idea that paying for materials makes it a scam, simply because you have to pay up front, when there are lots of people making a living WORKING AT HOME doing something that they had to pay up front for.

My point: Payng up front does not make it a scam, even though people tend to dismiss pay up front as such. (same as your point basically).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

(I don't have a TV.) Are those UPS whiteboard ads on TV still?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Tostito posted:

I got a fortune cookie message that says "All generalities are false". But wouldn't that statement be a generality itself? I'm not sure how to interpret this fortune.

You nailed it first try: it is intentionally contradictory.

Arguing against reason/logic is another similar idea: You need reason/logic to argue. If you can use reason/logic to disprove the effectiveness of reason/logic, then what have you accomplished?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mac User Opera and Firefox

I want ESPN to not eat my CPU cycles, and slow down my whole computer. What's the 'no thought required' solution. I assume it has something to do with "flash sicking balls" but really I just know that ESPN slows my whole computer down.

Hjalp.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Alderdash posted:

Does anyone have any additional advice that I can follow to prevent my impending doom from happening or am I pretty much screwed?

Don't wear makeup, smoke or chew tobacco, don't wear contact lenses, don't pick your nose. Generally, and completely, don't touch your face or head for any reason.

There are two schools of thought as to why diseaes spread more rapidly in schools than in workplaces.
1.One idea is concentration,

but equal concentrated workplaces do not spread disease in the way schools do, so:

2. It is due to kids (even colleges kids) playing with their heads all the time. Playing with their hair, propping their head on their shoulders, chewing on pencils, etc.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Arriviste posted:

In my tiny world, yes. I titled a Mylar-distorted photographic self-portrait Selkie and found myself explaining it often.

If you talk about Selkes around Hockey fans, we will assume you mean the Defensive Forward of the Year award.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

You can't start at zero and reach infinity by any arithmetic process, so there's no way to ask that question.

Only because infinity is not a destination. It's not at all clear that it is impossible to traverse an infinity; it is only clear that infinity is not a destination.

It's tautology to make the claim that infinities are not traversable; it just comes down to whether you want to claim that existence is created in time or eternal. "Now" is a destination. If the universe is eternal, then we have already traversed an eternity to get here.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

"It's your birthday, go (insert person's name), go (insert person's name)" gets used a lot in media as somethign shouted at people dancing.

Is there a particular source for this?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a "Whatever the hell happened to" website?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Also, what do computers have to do with it?

My question too.

(Computers do almost nothing not 'computerish'.)

Fun fact about standard for weights and measures: The standard Kilogram varies in weight for no known reason. The standard kilogram is one measure that is specifically defined based on a specific physical object, and that object varies in weight for no known reason.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

The standard kilogram varies in weight because it is a unit of mass and being in locations where the force of gravity changes changes the weight.

The standard kilogram might be called a measure of mass, but since that mass is always determined by measuring its weight, to make a distinction in this case is stupid. They do not do any mass measuring tests; they use only weight measuring tests.

The weight varies for reasons that are far from clear. The most important anomaly is the fact the the weight for some samples tend to vary more than the weight of others, and they do not vary consistently. And none of the primary standard samples move from their storage location, though the comparison samples do.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anyone know how to make WIkipedia remember that I have given them money twice already so they quit showing me the "Cult of Personality" ego picture of that guy?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I have a PC laptop and some external drives that I am giving away. I want to one pass zero the drives for privacy reasons

WHat's the best tool for this? AFAICT the windows XP on the laptop is virus infected so I am not sure I trust the OS to do this properly.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

a computer posted:

Why do torrent uploaders use .nfo files instead of .txt files?

Because they are not text files. Use a proper .nfo reader and you will see the diffference. >nfo readers show the ASCII art in its 'full' glory.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

jackpot posted:

I'm in a ~60 year old house, with one full bath upstairs and a half-bath downstairs. The downstairs bathroom smells - and this is the best way I can describe it - like an old dump. Like 20 minutes after someone really went to town in there, and they shut the door on it after flushing. There's a wet sewage-y smell to it that's not quite to the point of being offensive or nasty, but it's just there, and it's noticeable. And I think it's getting worse.

It's a sink and a toilet, and there's nothing rotting in the toilet tank. What could this be?

Also two more possibilities, you may have a dead animal in the walls.

Your wax ring under your toilet is probably gone, they melt away after a while.

Also:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Also makes you look super hard so that's a bonus. Try smoking a cigar while you do it.

It look even cooler if you pour alcohol and gunpowder on it then light it to cauterize your wound. And if it gets infected you just hack it off and keep on.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

What's the brand name of the once a year period birth control?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

baquerd posted:

Try typing this exact question into Google.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=this+exact+question

That did not help. It gave me hits for an IT test.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying a sentence, "I ___ (verb-ed) the cat", in English, but I want the sentence to convey the subject and object but be cut off before the verb. Kinda like how in German you can say "Ich habe die Katze ____" (or something like that) or "私はその猫を" in Japanese. Is there a way to do this?

Not that this was your question, but if you are trying to say that in Japanese you have to topic-ify "Cat", and not yourself. As you have said it, you have stressed the topic as yourself, which is not at all what you are trying to do. You are trying to introduce the subject CAT and then say an aside. You said "ME" and then said an aside.

As with most Japanese you just should not use Watashi, well, ever, if you want a rule of thumb.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Google tells me Lybrel is the first FDA approved no period pill. There are a lot of other options if you want to limit or plan for when your periods will be, though, so it might be a good idea to browse through the Birth Control Megathread a bit.

Thanks. I have no idea why I could not find that, but I could not.