Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Which is the better sounding sentence?

1) The Task Force currently has 25 parolees that have been involved with the program since March.

2) Since March, twenty-five parolees have been involved with the Task Force program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I've been trying to get with this super hot girl all semester to no avail. We're friends, but I don't see anything happening really, unless I'm oblivious. Last night I hooked up with a cute friend of hers. Hot girl will most likely find out about this very soon. Have I just blown my chances of getting with the hot girl?

VVV haha. o well. her loss, really.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 8, 2010

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
My roommate left boiling water in a pot with the stove on overnight. The pot is now burned on the inside and out after all of the water evaporated. Is the pot still safe to use? It is NOT a teflon coated non-stick pot...just a cheap metal pot.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Is an XML or HTML certification good to have on a resume, in general?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I got a fortune cookie message that says "All generalities are false". But wouldn't that statement be a generality itself? I'm not sure how to interpret this fortune.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That fortune cookie is loving with you. I hope you taught it a lesson.

I have my own theory that fortune cookies are always vague enough to apply to whatever is currently going on with my life. For example, I was saying how I hated the rave scene and all the drugs, then I get this fortune, telling me not to generalize so much. I say gently caress that, I still hate the rave scene.

My housemate, who is a very Italian Long Island kid, got the "Made in the USA" fortune once, which is hilariously true...he is certainly a product of the United States. Borderline Jersey Shore, even, although not nearly as douchey. My theory stands.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I have been told that being in good shape and being good looking increases your chances of getting a job/holding a job/advancing the ladder immeasurably. From the perspective of someone who is actually out in the real working world, do you find that this is true?

e: I would assume this is doubly true for women.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 10, 2010

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
All I thought about when I saw Selkies on the last page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UZd_DKs2Q

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I have Rosetta Stone French. Should I skip French 101 (which does not count towards my gen ed), opting instead to complete Rosetta Stone before going into 102 like a pro? I'm inquiring because I believe 101 will be a giant waste of my time if I can just skip to 102 with a solid Stoned up background.

The only reason I would take 101 would be to solidify my skills. Basically I'm asking if anyone has experience using rosetta stone. I know very little french.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
My buddies and I decided a few nights ago that 2012's end of the world will come in the form of mass debt slavery. Illegal online actions such as torrent downloading are easily being tracked directly to your name. Things like Facebook make this only more evident. The stronger your online presence, the easier it will be to sue you for infringements. There are currently a hundred billion people in law school right now. They need something to do. There will be a mass, mass lawsuit, suing hundreds of millions of people and everyone will be hit hard. Everyone will fall into debt, creating a permanent underclass.

Simultaneously, in a Brave New World sort of thing, the surging population coupled with the massive and ever-growing popularity of electronic dance music will create a world where the people are enslaved to the music they take soma to and are obsessed with.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would like to ask SA how retarded this theory is.

e: Yes, there will be collaboration. There is the assumption that there will be some massive breakthrough in law enforcement technology, allowing for practically automatic judicial action through the use of some program that can track your entire online presence and automatically fine you for infractions. This will come when your identity is completely linked to your online identity--they are essentially the same thing.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 14, 2010

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Something to do with keeping their minds healthy. Morpheus said in the first movie that the machines attempted some sort of virtual utopia for the first matrix program, but it failed and crops of people were lost. Conflict and suffering needed to exist for the mind and body to grow, or something.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Way, way too much.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Taking a year off from school to room-and-board volunteer abroad overseas: good or bad idea?

Taking a year off *after* my degree to volunteer abroad: good, bad, or better idea?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I got a Boss Distortion pedal, Boss harmonist/octave phaseshifters and a Crybaby wah. What is the best order to hook them up from my guitar to my amp?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
The domain I want is parked under DreamHost. Is there a way to buy this out? It's a .com. Would it be easier just to buy the .net domain, (which is available) or should I go for the .com?

Is .com better than .net?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Why is .com better than .net?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
An opportunity arose for me to hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro next year. Any good reasons why I shouldn't do this?

edit: Thanks for the advice. The main thing I'm worried about is having enough endurance. I'm in pretty good shape but I've never done anything close to 12-18 hour + hikes for 7-10 days straight with only enough sleep and food to survive.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 23, 2011

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I've been dating this girl for a while. I know that she was seeing a guy back home, but we're at school now, and she's seeing me. She tells me things aren't going well with him. I happened to stumble upon on her e-mails (forgive me, whatever), and a bunch of them are from her bf telling her how much he loves her, and trusts her, etc.

Should I continue getting laid with this chick? Or should I just call it off? I honestly feel terrible, but part of me just wants to go the Lil Wayne route on this.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know of a good browser based version of Zork? I can't seem to find any good ones on Google.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 2, 2011

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Thank you very much, although that appears to be a "mini-zork" version with abridged descriptions, locations, puzzles and stuff. This will do for now though, thanks.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
e: nevermind

Tostito fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 20, 2011

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Can someone rank the difficulty of Accounting 101, perhaps from the perspective of someone with poor math skills and who doesn't know jack poo poo about what accounting even is?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
To someone who owns a small business/any business who studied business in school: did you find that your textbook material came in handy? Did you find it worth reading and absorbing front to cover as preparation, or should it be used as more of a need-to-know reference manual, or is the text useless when compared to real world experiences? (I'm deciding whether or not I want to sell these textbooks back or keep them).

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Blogger or Wordpress? Which do you prefer and why? Seems to be hotly debated.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
May a french speaker please translate "the white shadow", and "the white tattoo"? Thank you.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know anything about all those old(current?) internet personality quizzes that teenagers take? Do marketing research companies use that information?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know if there is a way to sync a new user's website membership so the corresponding Facebook Page is automatically "Liked"?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good

gwar3k1 posted:

Just put a massive "LIKE THIS" on your homepage and hide it for users that have liked it?

Yeah I figured that would be shady as gently caress and impossible to do, just curious. We'll wind up doing something like this, thanks.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I work for a small business, and my company's e-mails keep getting automatically captured by Junk mail folders. Is there a quick fix for this?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
We're a tiny marketing and advertising firm trying to run promotions for our website development and design. We're targeting other small local businesses that may not have the best websites so one of the e-mails started with just a quick lead in on some statistics:

"Do you know how much the Internet affects your business? According to https://www.internetworldstats.com 77.3% of Americans are Internet users, with 44.3% of the United States population on Facebook. That totals to almost 144 million people. For better or for worse, the Internet has massive influence over our everyday lives and our businesses. Even small businesses are greatly affected by our digital age."

And the subject line was "Get your business moving with (our name)"

If I had to guess, maybe the spam filters see "business" and "Internet" and think it's one of those MLM spam e-mails.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
We will definitely have to make some adjustments. Thank you for your help. This particular one was unsolicited which I suppose explains mostly everything...

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know if Six Flags is still running that Coke can buy one get one ticket free thing? Or if some sort of similar discount deal is being run by Six Flags?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Anyone hear about the holistic old grandma's miracle cure of drinking a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegar every day? Anyone know about that stuff offhand?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Hypothetical: an old businessman gives you advice, telling you that you will never achieve peace of mind in your life, so get used to it. You analyze the old businessman and see that his ego and desire for material wealth are through the roof. He often gloats over past successes. Do you accept his advice as realistic, or shun him for his overt selfishness?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know if a statistic exists for the average amount of hard drive storage space actually used by people? For example, do a lot of people buy huge hard drives but only use, say, 20% of their total available space? I can't seem to find this information on Google, but I'm assuming a statistic is out there somewhere...

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
e: nvm

Tostito fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know of a website where I can view a real-time artistic rendering of the orbits of our solar system's planets around the sun?