Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

If I mix 1 L water at 20° C with 1 L water at 40°, do I get 2 L water at 30°, or is it somehow more complicated than that? How about 500 mL 20° with 1 L 40° - would I get 35° water? Or would it take 1.5 L of 40°?

I feel like high-school chemistry prepared me for this, but all I remember is PV=nRT, and I don't remember how I'm supposed to use 'n' in this situation.

You don't use n in this situation, because PV=nRT is the ideal gas law, and you're working with liquids. I could have answered the rest of your question a long time ago, but I'm afraid I have long since forgotten most of the thermodynamics I learned in college.

e: This implies that you are correct.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm not sure if this is widespread, but in Massachusetts at least, I believe any place that sells motor oil has to take it back for disposal. So you just funnel the old stuff into old bottles and bring it back to Autozone or where ever you bought it.

This is true in Washington also. They have a big self service bin in the back of the parking lot for your old stuff. poo poo, we even have free hazmat service at the dump for antifreeze and the like.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is is possible on Facebook to have status updates and pictures and poo poo visible to all your friends, but only certain people are allowed to add comments?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

:science:

I am pretty sure you have it right, but I have never seen an analog multimeter with only one scale like that. Do you have a known power source other than that battery, like a DC power supply that you could confirm with?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Call up a tailor? I'm sure any given tailor will have that style of fabric and if they don't they'll certainly be able to get some to make a suit by Halloween.

Yes I am sure a tailored suit will cost much less than $200.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

here is something that i think is so simple, but the math escapes me.

given 2 choices, which is the better one.

1) doing something that has a 1% chance to win 5 times

or

2) doing something that has a 5% chance to win ONE time

For the 5x above, each chance is 'reset', so its not like you are drawing tickets and lowering the total number each time. Each pull is exactly a 1% chance.

maths tells me they should be equal, but doesn't the fact you are doing one multiple times factor in?

I haven't thought about probability in a good ten years, so this is probably completely wrong, but here goes.

It depends a little bit on what happens if you win in the first scenario. Are you allowed to continue trying for the remaining times? If not, then the second situation is preferable. You have a straight 5% chance of winning. In the first scenario, it's easier to calculate your chances of losing five times and subtract from one, which will give you the chance of winning at least once. That works out to (1-.99^5), or about 4.9%.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the prize is $1000 and there is no entry fee. Your expected value (EV) in scenario two is 1000*.05, or $50. In scenario one, the EV is (1000*.01*5), which yields the same value, so if you are allowed to keep playing after a win, then in the long run there is no advantage either way.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TShields posted:

Strangely, I know exactly what you mean, but no, it can't be- garbage went out today, can is empty except for junk mail at the moment. Unless something fell on the floor that we don't know about... but its just a hint of a smell, almost like someone sprayed too much perfume in the room a couple hours ago and it still hasn't aired out.

Edit: Okay, I let my nose reset and walked back through the scented rooms, and it kinda smells like fruit punch, or some fruity girlie alcoholic drink. Or maybe we're both having strokes at exactly the same time.

What rooms have the smell?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MissFortune posted:

Waffleimages is down. What's a good alternative (read: reliable) image hosting site for forum posting?

Tinypic seems to work ok for me.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

Why is Greece (the country) called "Greece" in English? Looking at Google Maps, it looks like the local name for it is "Eλλάς", which (I think) would be pronounced "ellas" or "hellas", which isn't even close to "Greece." Where'd out name for it come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Greeks

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

Say I've got a diver's bottle that is empty. I weight it and it's 10kg to the nearest mg. I then get it filled up to 300 bar with high pressure air and weight it again. Would it weigh more or the same?

It would weigh more. Empty cylinders are much lighter than full ones.

e: and I should check the next page before replying...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brigadier Sockface posted:

What is your general opinion of the University of Tennessee?

Academically, I think it's a pretty good school. A friend of mine is a chemistry professor there I think.

In terms of college football though they can eat a bag of dicks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Archyduke posted:

Does anybody know who this piece is by?

I used to know, and it's killing me. I'm pretty sure I got it off of a lit theory blog or something a few years ago, so my gut says it's from, like, early 20th century Germany? The BB kinda suggests Brecht but that didn't turn up anything on google.

Anya Triestram

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Illusive Man posted:

Any recommendations for permanent hair dyes of non-traditional colors?

My friend is going to dye theirs soon. I know hot topic carries dyes, but I don't really trust them to carry the best quality stuff.

How permanent? I think Manic Panic is pretty good stuff.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

I gotta keep this quick hopefully it's enough if not I'll elaborate later, but what is the deal with taxes and being a student? My friend and I have gotten in an argument about paying taxes recently; last year I didn't have to pay any taxes (with a job and as a college student) and when I asked my dad he said something about new legislation by Obama and left it at that. At the time I just said whatever, but now my friend is saying he payed taxes last year and I was trying to tell him he shouldn't be (other then social and medicare or whatever) and we got in this argument, so can anyone provide more insight, actual laws or something?

Did you not file your taxes, or did you just not owe anything after filing (i.e. got a full refund of your withholding)?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

Has anyone else noticed youtube changing your settings back to show annotations again and again? I have, many times, turned off the 'show annotations' setting in my preferences yet it keeps getting turned back on after a while.

Also, is there a way to always make it use the larger player? That's another setting it seems to remember for a few days then magically forget.

Yes, that is infuriating to me as well. It also refuses to leave me logged in no matter how many times I say to do it. I asked about this myself a while back and got no good answer, so if you find a way please post it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

I know there's a stereotype of children of incest having deformities like eyes way too close together and so on. How true is this?

Uncle Cecil addressed this recently.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2621/are-there-inbred-families-in-the-ozarks-appalachians-like-in-em-deliverance

e: And by recently I mean five years ago. I happened to read the article a few days ago though for some reason, though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MissFortune posted:

I feel really moronic asking this, but I'm writing a thank you note at the end of a long day.

Is the phrase "After the conversation with Kevin and yourself, I felt even more enthusiastic about the position." grammatically correct, particularly the "Kevin and yourself" usage?

It just looks really awkward for some reason.

I don't think it's grammatically correct, and it sounds very awkward at any rate. I would write "you and Kevin" personally.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kalonji posted:

Can anyone tell me about a good over the counter medication for sinus colds/head colds. I used to use sudafed but thanks to the tweakers that doesn't work anymore.

E: :canada:

My OTC of choice is Theraflu. I bought a shitton of it a while back because it was on sale or something, and I seem to recall that that the formulation had changed when I eventually needed to buy more. It still works well for me though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

Bad stuff about CFLs: big time toxic waste when they do finally die.

As little as 1mg of mercury per bulb is not "big time toxic waste." True, you should not throw them in the trash, but Home Depot for example will take old bulb off your hands for no charge.

Find a CFL recycler near you: http://earth911.com/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brigadier Sockface posted:

There're these cooking videos on youtube.

First one is of a really nasty fat girl making the most disgusting thing - I think it's pasta salad and she uses a whole tub of mayonnaise and tons of sugar.

The other is a series of videos by some guy who lives in a terrible disgusting filthy house and he is cooking omelettes or something with nasty utensils.

Does anyone remember any of these videos and could you give me the links? Much appreciated!

I know what you mean with the first one, but I don't know her name or anything. I think she took them off youtube, but there are some copies from other people available I think. The other is a fellow named Masaokis, who is an alcoholic. There is a thread about him.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm looking to get a cheapish pair of headphones (~$50) for listening to music at work (desk job) because my current pair is literally falling apart. I'm thinking skullcandy, since I really like the quality/price of their ink'd earbuds. Anyone who knows what they're talking about have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? I'm open to other brands, I just don't know what I'm looking for, and I see that skullcandy has a couple of models which fit nicely in my price range.

Let's Talk About Headphones III: A new forum, whynot?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's the name of the speech impediment that Homestar Runner has?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

alan negative posted:

I have a question about looking for jobs on craigslist. I've emailed about 10 different people concerning job positions they're offering, using the provided link (like job-randomlettersandnumbers@craigslist.org) and not one person has answered. I need a job really badly and this is irritating. Is it my approach, or are they just not getting the emails?

I've gotten a fair number of responses from job listings on craigslist, and a few jobs as well. Assuming they have their poo poo set up right, they're getting your emails. You might try is applying through the company's website (if they say who they are in the ad) instead of via craigslist; recruiting sites will generally give at least an application confirmation email. Also, maybe the problem is that your resume isn't very good? There's a resume writing thread that may be useful to you.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2000929

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

Can anyone tell me how to get into plumbing? How do I get a trainee plumbing license for an apprenticeship? Will I need to find a trade school to start first? Can anyone recommend one in the Seattle area? I've tried google, but I can't seem to find specific answers to these questions.

Try in the plumbing thread. The OP is from Spokane if I'm not mistaken, and may know of particulars in Washington state that would be helpful.

kapalama posted:

"Chicken Skin" is a Hawaii term for goosebumps. Do non-Hawaii Englihs speakers use the term Chicken SKin?

Never heard this expression before. I've always heard them called goosebumps or occasionally goosepimples, though I think that may be a mostly british expression.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SausageMahoney posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of this movie, I've seen it a few time on Comedy Central when I was younger, but basically its about these teenagers who were obsessed with this "Feed Bag" thing that they sold at 7-11 and Circle K type places, and they were stopping the sale of them, so they were all trying to get the last few by breaking into the stores...any ideas?

Try here, they are really good at this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2617448

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If you don't mind me asking, how did you guys go about breaking your pelvis?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Orzo posted:

The top bar on google (the one with web, images, etc) is no longer loading for me. It's really annoying. I'm using the latest Firefox, have recently reinstalled it to try to fix it (it didn't fix it), I haven't changed any settings, I haven't disabled any scripts. What's going on?

Are you getting redirected to the https version of the site? That doesn't have the top menu on it. There was an article on Lifehacker I think a week or two ago talking about a Firefox extension that will automatically redirect you to the encrypted versions of various sites (Google, facebook, Amazon, etc) where available. Did you happen to install something like that?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

even if it wasn't fully extended and wasn't blinking

Sounds like you didn't actually do anything wrong, then?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

He didn't honk and wave angrily for no reason. And apparently, when the amber lights on top of the bus start flashing, that's also required stopping. And, in the end, if he did take down my plate, it's my word against the word of a school bus driver, and we all know who wins that one. But, y'all have convinced me to calm down and wait and see what happens, if anything. It was probably just the annoyance of the moment at myself.

Actually no, see page 19: http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/dlmanual/dlmanual.pdf

"When you meet an oncoming school bus displaying flashing amber lights, you must slow down to no more than 20 mph and be prepared to stop."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Thanks! However...

Guilty. :(

Ah, I thought you were traveling in the opposite direction of the bus. I would suggest going into hiding now before They find you.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pr0phecy posted:

What's that word when someone tries very hard to sound smart, mostly by using words he found in a thesaurus. The only word I can think of on top of my head is obfuscation but that's not it. there's a better word.

Pretentious and highfalutin come to mind.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zegnar posted:

Sorry, the it's your birthday thing predates 50 Cent by a long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvNDimHIfws

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How long does it take a letter and or small package to be delivered from the US to a soldier in Iraq?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the posted:

Before computers, how did they measure things?

I mean, like, let's say you wanted to cut a piece of wood to the length of a foot.

You take out a ruler and mark off a foot.

But how did the manufacturer of the ruler know that he was making something that was a foot long? How was he so exact? What did he measure against?

And if he used something, how was that thing created to be exactly a foot? Who knew they had exactly a foot?

By using things like these. Also, what do computers have to do with it?

e: There may or may not be a standard foot. But there is a standard meter, and an inch is defined as 2.54 cm, so there you go.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

How long does it take a letter and or small package to be delivered from the US to a soldier in Iraq?

Anyone?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It is winter here, and I have an old house. I get a lot of condensation on the inside of my windows, to the point that it starts dripping down the walls and poo poo. I'm worried about mold happening or causing electrical problems, so is there anything I can do to prevent/reduce this, short of installing double-pane windows?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

Some people use dehumidifiers for this. There are also systems that essentially use a fancy Cling-Wrap to turn windows into faux dual pane windows if you want to skip the expensive dual pane windows. For another cheaper alternative that has other benefits, storm window can help.

Yeah, we have a dehumidifier, but it just can't keep up with the condensation. I thought about the film stuff too, but I wasn't sure if that would help any.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

I've not managed to find information on wikipedia, could anyone tell me what it is that causes tiger striping in wood? Like this:

Obviously this particular example is just a loving lovely bit of wood in the first place, but I've seen the effect on other bits that aren't as fantastic overall.

There is a woodworking megathread in DIY, there are some very knowledgeable people there that can probably answer this.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Who buys broken laptops? Those fetch high prizes regularly and I just sold an old Vostro 1400 for 180$. I can't believe these could somehow turn a profit for the buyer.

Can I ask where you sold it? I have an old laptop with a dead display that's just sitting collecting dust. Wouldn't mind picking up a little extra cash with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the posted:

How do I dispose of/recycle/whatever an aluminum Lian-Li computer case?

In many parts of the US Goodwill is equipped to appropriately handle electronics and the like for disposal if it's not fit for sale.