Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Florida Betty posted:

When I am on Skype, I often get messaged by young Algerian men (even when I'm in invisible mode). I don't mind talking to strangers, but I'm just curious as to why they're almost always Algerian. Is everyone on Skype Algerian? Does this happen to other people or only me?

My girlfriend got a ton of Algerian men messaging her on Skype about a year ago before she set it to not allow messages from strangers - we surmised that it had something to do with them finding her profile picture attractive, but now my curiosity is piqued as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

2. There's a commercial for a chrysler minivan that plays all the time. It's a bunch of dudes in a minivan driving across sand dunes. One of the guys is wearing some african militia warlord type uniform. Everyone's in silence until someone asks the nav-system to take them to the emergency room.

Someone else asks: "who's going to the emergency room?"
African warlord guy answers in african accent: "We ALL are."

I don't get it. Is there something to get? a movie reference or something? It's a cool commercial I think but maybe it'd be cooler if I understood it more.

edit: maybe I was asleep and commercials suddenly got really honest and the point is "buy a chrysler and your steering rack, brakes, poo poo, something important will fail in a life-threatening/maiming type way so you might as well be on the way to the ER".

If I remember correctly it's not emergency room but rather emergency route. Essentially the idea is that there's some top secret mission going on, they've been compromised, and they need to go a different way.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

MissFortune posted:

Thanks, guys/gals, all good points. Maybe I just needed some reassurance.

Unfortunately, I do not have an email. But, I've decided I will be giving a call by the end of the day.

How did you sign up for the forums without an email account? :raise:

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

Loopyface posted:

He doesn't have the address of the person he's trying to contact. Context clues.

He is probably a she with a name like Missfortune. Context clues.

also I'm an idiot

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

Eyeball posted:

I moved into an apartment with my ex-girlfriend. We broke up, she moved out, and I continued to live there for about six months. The refund check I got for the damage deposit has both of our names on it. I don't want to involve her in the process of cashing it because I need the money now and she's going to dick me around and make me wait for days or weeks, and that's if she hasn't moved out of state like she was planning the last time I talked to her. My credit union wouldn't let me deposit the check because her name isn't on my checking account.

Am I going to be able to cash this check by myself? It's drawn on Keybank, if it matters.

And for what it's worth, I paid the whole deposit with my own money, including non-refundable pet deposits for her animals, and repaired damage that she did to the apartment through carelessness, so I have no moral obligation to split the refund with her.

If it says the magic word "or" between your names, then you'll be able to cash it yourself. If it doesn't, you're poo poo out of luck - no reputable bank will allow you to cash or deposit it unless both names have been signed on the back.

P.S. Forgery is a felony regardless of the dollar amount, don't even think about it.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

My own question: I was watching through Curb Your Enthusiasm, and came across the part where one character ends up giving another character a kidney. This got me curious as to how insurance handles a situation like that. Obviously the kidney recipient will have his surgery covered by his insurance, but would the donor have his kidney extraction covered by his insurance or maybe the donor's? It seems like the donor's insurance would view the surgery as elective and non-necessary, and it would be a real stretch for the recipient's insurance to cover the donor.

Interesting question, I'd love to hear the real answer as my best guess (hospitals are desperate enough for kidney donations that they foot the bill for the related procedures themselves?) has its own related issues.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

DELETED posted:

"Honorable Mention" is pretty common. There are a few other terms I can't seem to remember this morning.

Nominee, Runner-Up, Finalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

change my name posted:

Is it generally considered poor form to not have read a book that your professor has written, especially when it relates to the class you're taking? I feel like that's something they'd probably draw from a lot.

My take - If it's not on the class list, I wouldn't expect you to read it. If you have read it, it would make me like you more.

You'd probably get a lot of information about why the professor thinks things are important/what they're focused on as well - I like doing it for classes that I take so I know what slant my professors have. This goes sevenfold for subjects that are controversial where having a strong opinion really colors the way that you listen to them speak.

tl:dr - If you aren't too busy to read it, you'll get a lot out of it, but if you don't feel like it, it's not going to affect you negatively.