Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I was going to start a thread about this, but (luckily) I re-read the rules and as far as I can tell I would be the only person to benefit from the answer, and it probably wouldn't make much of a thread, so here goes!

Is there any way to figure out what the music playing on this site is?
http://web.archive.org/web/20011217000142/http://tsbolton.com/bertramslair/
I'm fairly certain it isn't from the game (Redneck Rampage, I played it years ago but I don't recall hearing this tune), and I don't see it credited anywhere.

I had to find an archived page of the site, as it is no more. I started out by writing to the old owner's (TSBolton) friend, Jon Hunt, at his Redneck Rampage site (Redneck Rampage home-made levels, etc.);
http://www.jonhunt.com/redneck/

Apparently, Mr. Bolton has dropped out of contact and his email account died with the site. Mr. Hunt was nice enough to write me back after I asked him if he could ask T.S.. He also told me about the wayback machine for searching, which is how I found the link up there. So, at least I can listen to the loop again.

Searching youtube, I found around eight tracks of music that must have come from a CD about the game, but again, not the music that's playing on the site. I'm at a loss as to how to find out what it is, and by whom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Pogo the Clown posted:

Here's the link to the music file itself, if that helps at all:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051218020303/tsbolton.com/bertramslair/Banjo3.wav

I've got nothing else though, sorry. I did the obvious google search for "banjo3.wav" but none of the results were the same clip.

Thanks for trying. For now I'll just content myself with the archived site, maybe TSBolton will reappear one day.

Wagonburner I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the "Bottle Drunk" thing is more that hard liquor comes in bottles, like Whiskey and Vodka. Like; "He drank an entire bottle" is how drunk he was.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

The Geoff posted:

Also, some vinegar slopped on the (laminated wood) coffee table and it's stained parts of the table a whitish colour. Can I reverse this?

Check hardware stores/ craft stores or Wal Mart kinds of places for furniture markers. Usually you can find sets of them or them being sold separately. Get one that matches the color and basically you just "color" over the stained parts then let it dry and buff with a cloth. If you can't find any of them, get some colored markers and try to match the color as best you can. The furniture ones are really just industrial strength permanent markers anyway, so there's not a whole lot of difference between them.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Many years ago, a good friend of mine was going off to Prison and we had a nice send off for him. I gave him a "Get out of Jail, Free" card from Monopoly, and he's kept it in his wallet ever since, haha.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

On that topic I'll ask again: Anyone know the deal with the forums gift certificate or buying others upgrades avatars?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the deal" with them...I assume you just click on whichever and input your credit card number, and the email address of where the cert. is going? If you are buying someone else an avatar or what have you, it's the same deal only you would input the username and upload the image/write the text.
I imagine it's pretty straightforward, though I've never done it (yet, muhaha!).

I was gifted this account, and it came by email, if that helps. If someone didn't know the email was coming, they might have it in their junk mail.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Yea, that's exactly what I am talking about. Where do I go do that now? It used to be a link up there ^^^.

I'm still seeing them at the top of the page, "purchase Account" or "avatar", etc..

Edit, also at the very, very top is a "buy forums stuff" grey bar that has all the options in it. :)

Barometer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 29, 2010

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

There used to be links for Gift Cert, Others Avatar, etc.

There's something about gift certs coming soon,("We hope to have gift certificates available soon. Thank you for your patience!") so maybe that stuff hasn't been added back, yet. You're right, though, those options don't seem to be there anymore.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Rankine Over Gash posted:

My girlfriends' housemate has come back to the flat a bit giddy. He's found a large amount of money in notes on the pavement (three figures) and is rather excited. However, without wanting to piss off any Karma Gods, we've all agreed he should notify the local police that he has found it. Am I correct in assuming there's a set time for it to be claimed before it becomes finders keepers? Any help or experience in this matter would be appreciated.

We're in the UK, so answers might be different internationally.

He should just keep it. There's no "bad Karma" involved in random chance like that, it isn't as if he stole it. If anything, the Universe has obviously just tossed that stuff into his lap..."Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

If it were a wallet, or on the steps to someone's house, then it might be a different story.

Edit; I say this because once I found over a hundred bucks in an envelope and yeah, I spent that money (gave some away as well). :)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Alright, bear with me on this one... If a guy was to very slowly swallow a very long piece of unbroken twine, suppressing his gag reflex the entire time, could he end up with one end of the string coming out of his butt and the other still sticking out of his mouth?

I've wondered this since childhood after seeing a cat with string hanging out of its balloon knot.

Yes. It's done with cloth as a cleansing ritual by some people. Slooooooowly swallowing a very long bit of cloth. I think it's also coated in something, like oil?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Uggh now I'm curious any sources.

gently caress you Danger Mahoney for making me ask that

Haha, well of course! I'm sure you just have a *ahem* passing interest in it.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/44/can-yogas-swallow-a-cloth-and-have-it-come-out-the-urk-other-end

I remember seeing a show about it many years ago, but searching youtube didn't get me anywhere, and I don't suggest using the tag "swallow" on there.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

membranoid posted:

Where can I find baggy jeans, I'm tired of this skinny jean bullshit, even when I buy a waist that's too large for me the loving legs feel like I'm wearing loving non stretchy spandex. loving hipsters.

Switch over to slacks. They are way more comfortable and baggy. :)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

Where can I go to find loose action figures, old and new?

I'm sort of a toy collector, but I don't give a gently caress about something being mint in the box etc... I just like the toys to sit on my desk and I'll put them into poses and what not at my discretion. I actually want to PLAY with these things, and yet Ebay is filled with action figures that have never been loved, which makes them 10 times more valuable.

I don't know where you live, but flea markets and yard sales are the best places. Cheap, as well.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

elbow posted:

I'm not killing birds because they are making GBS threads on my balcony, but nice suggestion anyway!

I don't know if it works for all birds, but many people buy plastic or ceramic Owls and set them up as a deterrent. The offending birds see the "predator" and stay away, ala scarecrows.

Edit; Pinwheel, I assume.
VVVVVVVV

Barometer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 22, 2010

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Well, obviously he wasn't being a dick about it because he clearly stated he wanted him to have his question answered, before suicide.:colbert:

I really just wanted to post about making a Oil drum/barrel into a fireplace; you should poke a few air holes along the bottom, an inch or two off the ground. It's also a good idea to toss a cinder block or two in there to keep the fire aloft a little bit and help air flow.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

That's odd...I've always said "Yo-hannis-burg". Not that I have had much reason to say it aloud, but that's how I pronounced it. Well, did, before that guy in the video schooled me. :ohdear:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

marshmallard posted:

Oh. Clearly I misunderstood the whole thing.

The picture was much funnier when I thought it was a crazy cat :(

Well, really it's a play on the Mech name, so it is both a "Mad Cat" as well as a mad cat. :)

TremendousMajestic posted:

I'm trying to buy someone a gift card online. Ideally, it'd be like a same as cash Visa card or similar, but many of those sites seem to require actually physically sending it to the person. I don't know their home address and I'd rather not ask them, as i want it to be a surprise. Is there anywhere I can buy a gift card that they can redeem and claim using their email or a login that gets emailed to them or something like that?

I just did this very thing yesterday, on Amazon. A gift card that's an email. The only problem I could see would be if the recipient didn't know it was coming and it went into the junk mail.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

CowGuy posted:

How do I get this green cord to the other end of my ceiling?

If you haven't already gotten a bunch of answers, you can lightly coil the cord and throw it. I'm assuming that's a drop ceiling I'm looking at, so you will likely repeat this process a couple times. You can also use a ball of twine/string and lob that to the other end, tie it off to your cord and then pull it over there.

Once, when running phone lines, we used a toy bow and arrow to shoot some string across a similar expanse. :)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Golbez posted:

I have a nascent ear infection coming on that I've been trying to stave off. I've been popping sugar-free cough drops like tic-tacs the last two days, mostly for comfort but also to cut down on coughing. I went through a whole bag of 25 in one day. Could having this much mentholyptus (and whatever else) in my system potentially be bad?

I doubt it, but honestly I don't know the answer to that question. The bag would have some sort of warning if there were a chance of O.D., I'd assume.

What I wanted to say was I think you should get some sudafed (or similar stuff) and use that, not cough drops.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Golbez posted:

I did, and have been using it today, but yesterday I was stuck on the road and all I could find was closed pharmacies.

Right on. A few years ago I had a stopped up feeling ear that I just ignored for a week or two and it ended up bursting my ear drum. :(
The Doc told me I was prone to ear infections and should use sudafed when there was an issue, so I thought I should pass it along. Bursting ear drums are not a pleasant feeling. :)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Speaking of Best Buy, anyone ever work in one? I wonder if they train the staff to treat everyone like a criminal or if it's just me? I've been to ours maybe four times and every time I get followed around and asked repeatedly if I need help.
"Well, these dvds are in aphabetical order, so no...I don't need help with the alphabet, thanks".
Doesn't help that the music is uncomfortably loud, either. I really avoid the place like the plague.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

BorderPatrol posted:

Asking someone if they need help does not not mean they think you're stealing.

Perhaps they, ya know, might want to help you find something.

I'm guessing you've never worked a retail store before.

And I'm guessing you don't read entire posts before responding.

I've worked retail, and there's a difference between offering to help someone and (as I wrote) being followed around and asked repeatedly. Actually, I've had a number of jobs waiting on the public, even the one I'm at now, and I've never followed people around a store.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

It just seems odd to me. Cameras all over the place, anything you try to pocket will set off the alarms, there's someone standing at the door 24/7 and still they gotta follow you around. I figured it had to be training, since I don't think I look like I'm going to steal stuff but they watch me like hawks.

Also, with my "working in retail" cred, :lol: I can usually spot a thief. I've even given one the "I'm watching you" look and whattya know, he decided to leave. :) I've never worked a job with commissions, though.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Labes For Days posted:

I can't believe you guys think that's worth a month. Even his other ones weren't worth the week-long probes he was given.

Why do you care? Is he in danger of beating your record of bans or something?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Elijya posted:

What are the little twirly things called?

And, on a similar note, what do you call those little spikey things that're about that size of a golfball and what tree do they drop from?

Sugargum trees, I bet.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Elijya posted:

This? No, definitely not :/

No, the ones I am thinking of look like you described;
http://danielleanthonyphotography.blogspot.com/2008/06/sugar-gum-tree-balls.html

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Pogo the Clown posted:

Close, Sweetgum, or more specifically American Sweetgum.

Yeah, interesting that the blog also had it wrong, haha. Our neighbor has one and those drat balls are everywhere. Also, according to that map, they have migrated quite a bit north since that was made.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

A couple DMs I have known used clear plastic sheets, with the grid drawn on with sharpies. I don't know where you can buy that stuff, but they had very large ones that rolled up for easy storage/transportation.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

The Aphasian posted:

Small decorating question: Hanging a series of prints in my office above my desk. The drop-ceiling is not level; over the 10' on that wall it has a 1" difference in height. Due to an above the desk cabinet thing, I have to hang them ~8" from the ceiling.

Should they follow the line of the ceiling or be true-level? Either way the will clash with the line of the cabinet or the ceiling, respectively. I'm leaning towards "true-level".

I didn't see anyone answer you, so my opinion is yes, go with true level.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

haveblue posted:

What's the best thread here to ask for recommendations for a beard trimmer?

(Or if anyone wants to answer that here, they can do that too...)

I just bought a Norelco "all in one" set last weekend and so far I am happy with it. I never shave down to the skin however, just trim everything down. It has a removable top for the other various functions.

It was under twenty bucks at Target.

http://norelcog370.com/norelco-g370-images-pictures.htm

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Teeter posted:

Man I feel so stupid for asking this, but here goes...

Apparently I look like Edward Norton.

Honestly, he's big enough that they would already have a double or three lined up. I would imagine he has at least one regular double on call. I understand you are thinking "younger him" but even that would probably be something his agent has already looked into. You could ask in the CineD subforums, as there are a fair amount of people in the biz there, who would know much more about this than I.

I'm not an expert on these matters in the least, but in order to get onto film, I am pretty sure you have to be a member of the Actors Guild (I am almost certain of this if the role involves speaking) and probably some other things as well. I don't think it's as easy as "Hey this person looks like that Actor so much we'll hire them".

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to try, assuming you really are a dead ringer for him. I kinda doubt it, if you can't see it yourself though. I wouldn't try to emulate any of his roles, you would need to look enough like him outside of that to be considered, in my opinion. I mean, you either look like/resemble him or not. :)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Teeter posted:

Only problem is I don't know how or where.

e: This seems even more retarded when I type it out, eesh. I think my point of view is that if people love him then someone exactly like him would be liked as well, except not as a lead role but more for "Average Looking Guy in Background A" type of deal.

Well, I am pretty sure you will hear all the horror stories from those in the know over in CineD, but I also think those who are in the business are going to have the best insights as well. Personally, I don't think it's retarded to hope or try. Why not?

Youtube is one really good way these days to reach a huge audience. Especially if you do look a lot like him, that might be a good idea, combined with something funny and flavor of the week, showing up all over, and maybe something would happen. Who knows. :)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Pweller posted:

What is up with microwaves continuing to run once their timer has run out? Are they still 'microwaving', or is it only the fan running for 2-3 seconds to cool components down for a moment or something?

Ours has done that for a long time, but the amount of time it continues to go after 0 has gotten longer. I think it's a symptom that the machine is dying, myself. I just haven't gotten around to buying a new one, yet.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Thanks. I don't suppose anybody with PMs could call him to this thread? :shobon: I'm not sure how else to find him.

Just ask in the general chat thread,
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388873

There are a number of regulars who are in the business and could probably answer your question.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

ZorbaTHut posted:

Ridiculously specific question:

Take a look at this page. Look at the skeletal framework thing barely visible behind the "Grapple Buggy" sign. That's a collapsible wall, sturdy enough to hang a TV on. I was there when they tore the thing down (that's actually me on the right, in the red shirt) and it compacted down to an extremely small size. It was totally awesome.

I need one, and I can't figure out what they're called. Tried e-mailing Mommy's Best Games and they had no idea. I know it wasn't related to PAX.

Anyone know where I can get one of those things?

You already have one good answer, but I thought I would add that I searched "Exhibition Wall Systems" and saw some similar items with that wireframe look and collapsible.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Rollersnake posted:

What was up with the "songs about cameras" trend around 1980 among new wave bands and progressive rock bands trying to be new wave? I mean I know there was a general tendency toward futurism and critique of commercialism and the impact of images, but is there anything more to it then that, or some more specific impetus I've overlooked? Why so many songs by so many bands specifically about cameras and photography, in the span of a couple years?

Yes - Into the Lens (I Am a Camera)
Gentle Giant - I Am a Camera
Rush - The Camera Eye
Mi-Sex - Camera Kazi
Renaissance - Camera Camera
Duran Duran - Girls on Film
Gary Numan - Films, Photograph
Depeche Mode - Photographic

And so on.

Well, I don't really know for sure but video was still pretty new and MTV showing up made it so music and visuals were being meshed as never before. I don't remember there being any huge Camera fetish going on, but MTV definitly changed the way music was/is presented.

"Video killed the Radio Star" was the first video played on MTV, sorta prophetic. Nobody has made a "Internet Killed the TV" song yet, have they? Someone needs to get on that.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Rollersnake posted:

This was still about a year before MTV debuted. I know music videos were an emerging artform, but I dunno if that explains it either.

Really the whole thing seems to have started in the late 70's and then moved into the 80's.

I'm just speaking as a person who lived through the 80s, and I don't remember any specific thing that lead to the whole video/camera fetish thing (or the drat pastels). All I know is you are right, cameras and lenses did play a pretty big part in the media (across the board, really). Maybe because we were all acutely aware that we were coming up on 1984. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

I check and usually send personal email every day I work (no internet at home). I also check facebook every couple days, but I prefer email, really.