Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Tons of Asian people in the city here (Canada) use umbrellas or those poker-type hats with the huge brims on them. My Asian buddy said they just don't like being exposed to sun. Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Return to sender a couple of times. If he persists and it's actually annoying, contact your police station and ask if they can contact his and ask him to stop. Or just contact his local police department directly.

Tell them that you're sure it's harmless, but it's annoying receiving mail from him when you don't want it and he's not listening to you.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Alderdash posted:

Do you have a doormat? Both years I worked there, I was told by my drivers that if an apartment has a doormat, it is acceptable to leave the package there instead of the office (because its easier to conceal the package--especially if its a small item like a book). I'd take that with a gain of salt though as it always sounded to me like a stupid rule for UPS corporate to implement.

And then you accidentally roll your ankle on your doormat, crushing your iPad in the process :)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Isn't the easy answer just naming the "tens" however we named 1910-1919? This must have come up at some point, I personally have no idea.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the mail forwarding services for getting stuff from America.

I want to buy something from Amazon and they won't post it to Australia. MyUS.com seems popular but shipping seems really expensive.

Make a SAMart thread? Im sure someone wouldnt mind dong this for a small fee, or maybe you can send them stuff from your country, like Tim Tam's!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I had surgery and needed an IV hooked up to me for 5 days. Im on my last day. Instead of staying in the hospital, in Canada we have organizations that will bring a nurse to your home once a day to change the bag, clean your dressings and make sure everything is ok.

Second day in, and my IV ran out. Called once an hour starting at 8PM to let them know. The operators said they cant get a hold of the nurse and will keep trying. 3AM rolls around and a nurse finally calls me and tells me she cant make it out, but will tell me how to change my IV myself, along with programming the machine that hangs around my neck.

I stayed very calm and nice through this because its late and I wanted to sleep. I called the next day and complained, letting them know what happened. The nurse didn't know the names of some of the buttons on the machine while I was on he phone with her, and didn't know how to lock the machine so I wouldn't roll on it while sleeping and gently caress with it. I was also the one to figure out how to start the IV - she said just to press the start button (which did nothing) and when she was trying to think of how to actually do it, I already held down the Start button which did work. She said "oh yeah! Hold it down, so sorry!"

They even admitted to being wrong, and come Monday they will launch an investigation into this. I have no problem confronting people when they do wrong, and do not let people push me around, and I want some justice out of this. I told them I am not a nurse or doctor and shouldn't be in charge of doing these things when I'm sick and under painkillers, and regardless of that, the nurse --never showed up--

While I am not money hungry, and am more doing this to set them straight, but wondering if this could lead to any compensation on my part. Imagine I was an elderly man who couldn't read the tiny loving font on the machine, or just someone who wasn't techy in general?

I think I can seek legal aid in this - you guys think its worth it?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
It's Acclaim Health, whom I think used to be called the VON. Not sure. I did find the law megathread after and posted there, thanks.

Like I said, I don't care if i cant cash out, but rather want to make sure I complain to the right person in order to be heard and not have someone else go through what I did in the future.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

change my name posted:

What's the best way to get a free acoustic guitar? I really want to learn how to play but I have absolutely no room in my budget.

If you live around the GTA in Ontario, I'll give you one of mine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Travakian posted:

Would it be possible that I take you up on this offer? :]

Heh, literally 10 min too late. Someone emailed me for it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

BonHair posted:

Does anyone know of an easy way to remap a button on my keyboard to something else? Specifically, I would like my capslock button to produce a 'ə'. I am using Windows 7 if that helps, and I am willing to download whatever spyware you can find!

Well, typing "how to remap caps lock" in Google brings you shitloads of answers.

Here's the link to the results after I pressed "enter" in Google:
http://www.google.com/search?source...488cb887e893d25

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe it's because Canadians are so drat polite, but I thank every person and tell em to "have a good one" at the end of basically anything. Doesn't hurt to be polite dude.

Have a good one!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

chachu posted:

My mom has MetroPCS for her phone service. Now, her husband died in July, but his voice is still the greeting on her cell phone voicemail. She has to change her voicemail message, but she really wants to record the one she has (or keep it stored to put back on, later) so she can listen to it later, since it's one of the only recordings of her husband's voice that she has. She talked to the MetroPCS guys, but they were unsure if there was any way to record or save a greeting off of voicemail. Does anyone know a way?

Put the phone on speakerphone, then use a tape recorder/microphone plugged into a computer, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

I know the hive mind of SA says paypal sux, but is it really such a problem dealing with them?

All my ebay stuff (and other forum stuff) has been absolutely painless, and I only use paypal.

Paypal always favors the buyer over the seller. The guy can simply say it never arrived and get his money back. Try filing a complaint afterwards and get back to me in 29 years.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe it was a prank

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

silversiren posted:

I just got a new iPod for Christmas that requires iTunes 9.0 or higher. I haven't updated iTunes since probably.. 2008 or so, because the last time I updated it, I lost every single one of my songs. I want to use this new iPod but how can I be sure I'm not going to lose all of my songs when I update iTunes?

I updated iTunes yesterday on 2 computers and absolutely nothing was changed. I don't know why people are crying that everything will break?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Zegnar posted:

I am going to a 21st birthday party over a 3 day weekend, plan was black tie / white tie every day but the host has now declared that one day will be an 'Tim Burton themed costume party'. None of my friends like Tim Burton, it is bizarre and arbitrary.

What the hell do I wear? I am a blond man so that rules out most of his emo characters. I still need to look smart so nothing ridiculous. Budget is not a problem, but I do already have 3 metres of electroluminescent wire I'd like to use somehow. I am taking a flight to get there with no checked luggage, so nothing that won't go through security.

50 people going so there will be a lot of Ed Woods and Jack Skeletons, I need to get a little more creative.

Edit: Is there somewhere more appropriate to post this?

You could always just dress up in the "theme" of Tim Burton. You know, kinda kooky-goth.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

silversiren posted:

Where can I find a shirt that says "WORLDS GREETEST TEECHOR"? I saw a guy at work wearing one today but I was busy with customers and he was on his way out. I'd love to get one for my boyfriend, who is a TA.

Buy a white t shirt and a pack of iron-on transfers. Print the text out, iron it on, and be ghetto loving fabulous.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Where would I find a thread on Canadian Armed Forces? Friend is thinking about joining and this place always has great information plus I can ask specific questions.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have money in my PayPal account but don't want to wait the 5-7 days for it to be deposited in my bank account. What's a faster way to get the money? Looking for it today.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

Your options are pretty much nil, I'm afraid, so far as I know, unless you already have a PayPal card.

No PayPal card. drat. Was hoping I could transfer the cash to Western Union then go pick it up in person...this is horrible.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

It takes about half that amount of time if that makes you feel better. You don't have any friends with a PayPal debit card that you could transfer the money to?

No. I'm even willing to pay someone cash to just take this Paypal and send me a WU. Like, I have $100 in my PayPal, I'd be happy only receiving $85-90 through WU and give the remainder to the person.

I really hate how fast it is to put money into PayPal, but how slow it is to take it out. I don't even see a PayPal debit card here, maybe it's only US.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Where do you live?

Ontario, Canada

e: Do you know of a place that would accept PayPal and then send out WU same day?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

What you're looking for is a currency exchanger. Note that what you're asking for is against Paypal's acceptable use policy Under prohibited activities,

"(f), are associated with the following Money Service Business activities: the sale of traveler’s checks or money orders, currency exchanges or check cashing"

Paypal interprets this as forbidding exactly what you want to do, so it is unlikely you will find a serious exchanger that will wire you money for paypal. The fraud rates on paypal are VERY high. You might be able to find an individual willing to do this for you. Assuming someone doesn't volunteer in this thread, it would be totally acceptable to make a post in SA-Mart.
Looking at the rules it seems I can't make a thread asking :(

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

John Redcorn posted:

I just got a check from my homeowners insurance for hail damage and I'm wanting to cash it or get a cashiers check in the same amount today but I don't have funds to cover it in my checking account and check is from citibank who have no offices here.

I do have the funds in a capital one account but, gently caress, they're another place with no offices here. Transferring from capone to my boa checking would be slower than just depositing the insurance check at boa and letting it clear.

I have 401ks at schwab and fidelity with enough, they have offices here, can they cash a check without having to do any kind of loan or paperwork++ crap?

Not wanting to do anything that will be hard or impact me in any way. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do this?

Reason for needing it today is roofer guy just had an opening and wants to start on mine asap and he's a friend of a friend so I'd like to try to do him right if it doesn't take a whole lot of effort on my part. He can't take the check I have already signed over to him for some reason.
Go to a cheque cashing place?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

I don't know what a T-shirt tan is-- do you mean like a farmer's tan, where your arms are tan but if you take off your shirt the rest is pale?

Anyway, I would do a search in your city for salons that spray tan. Using a tanning bed is going to be damaging to your skin just like regular tanning is, and since you burn easily as is, it seems like you'd be asking for trouble, know what I mean? But some spray tans are really nice looking, just do your homework to find what one will work best.
Spray tans are not a "base" tan though. It's just color being sprayed on you. Don't spray tan and not put sunscreen on, for instance.

But yeah, if you just want the color to make it look like you got sun, spray tans look good. Just don't get loving "jungle black" or any other color that's going to make you look orange/african American.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I need to send someone who is in china a pdf file that about 140mb

Can anyone recommend a free file hosting site that can be accessed in china? I already tried my normal ones like mediafire and filedeposit, but he cant access them through the great firewall
Dropbox?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

dropbox was unable to be accessed, does anyone know another site i can try that works in china?
Host it on a free website service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tarepanda posted:

What's a decent credit card for someone who just wants to build their (crappy) credit rating? I haven't lived in America for half a decade and still have student loans, which would make it hard for me...

If you cant get a credit card, you can pay the bank $500 and they will in turn give you a $500 card, for instance. My buddy did this to build his credit.