Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Enourmo posted:

The noob way is just have a list of the numbers, an column performing that function on each number, then sum the function column.

Dunno if there's a more elegant way that works for lists of arbitrary length.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately I can't use python for this. It needs to be in excel and unfortunately some of these are going to go upwards of n=40.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dirby posted:

If the answer can be so easily checked, I would think they would just put the answer into their spreadsheet. I'm not sure why they would have to show an excel-based derivation of a numerical result not tied to data, but in a way that the "just put everything in its own cell" method somehow wouldn't suffice. Maybe it's an issue of hiding columns in excel?

Yeah it was part of an assignment where I needed to show my equations and work within the spreadsheet (not a calc / physics class); it wasn't a tremendous pain, just tedious copy/pasting the formula and modifying one number over and over again. I used wolfram alpha to double-check my work, but my spreadsheets would have been 1/4 the size if I could have summed it up into a quick formula. Oh well, thanks for all the info everyone!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest way to find past weather information, specifically snowfall? I'm curious about what the official snowfall was from the other night.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any free services to convert change into bills? My credit union is several states away and I've got probably $20-30 worth of change that I'd like to get rid of or convert to bills or even quarters if possible. This is in the US.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a lifetime on nalgene bottles? I've got a few BPA-free nalgene 32oz bottles that I've had for 4-5 years now. I only use them for water and keep them washed and cleaned regularly.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm switching over to rechargeable batteries for everything I can (AA, AAA, for game controllers, TV remotes, beard trimmer, etc, but also stuff like a camera flash). Ni-MH Panasonic Eneloops all the way down right?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
e: nm

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 5, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I need to rent a car in the short term. I was looking at enterprise (close to my house, fits my budget, don't know any other places), but can't figure out: do they charge mileage fees? It'd be all in-state driving, I'd put no more than 500 miles on it in a week and that's a very high estimate.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A couple weeks ago I bought a used car (2008 pontiac) and got all the registration taken care of. In the past 3 days, I've gotten 3 separate letters in the mail with various forms of VEHICLE ALERT NOTICE, TIME SENSITIVE re: my factory warranty. These are all bullshit scams I'm assuming?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

Yeah, you'll continue to get these as long as you have a car. They tend to come from scummy companies.

Fun!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I found 6 stamps that are valued at 44c, if I need to mail a letter and go to a USPS center will they let me pay the difference with pennies for the extra postage?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
e: nm, will revise question later

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, weird situation, I didn't return a call from my mom today and the police showed up. I opened my back door and was immediately cuffed because she apparently told them I had killed myself(she is a loving lunatic). I had absolutely no time to defend myself because when I responded with my name question as 'Yes' they immediately told me I "seemed agitated".

After we started chatting about the NCAA tournament they took the cuffs off and left, because I was literally in my apartment playing Zelda but like, that all seems very illegal. So, what the gently caress happened?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

Your mother called the police and told them she's worried you were going to hurt yourself or someone else, or that you already had hurt yourself or someone else. Literally the only way the police would come to your door like that is if she explicitly said that.

Well, that makes sense I suppose. Thank christ my downstairs neighbors weren't home because they were wandering around in the back yard and pounding on the neighbors' door and opened/searched the garage (thankfully which wasn't locked because I guess they would have had the right to kick it open).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Back in August I had to renew my lease for my apartment. I replied to the email and said yes please sign me up for a one year renewal. The woman replied saying great we'll send you some documents to sign. I never got the documents, kinda forgot about it, kept paying my rent, and 2 months later I got an eviction notice on my front door. I called, apparently they sent me an esign document but I never got it (checked my spam, nothing). They sent me another one, I signed, and they were kind enough to waive the fees. That's been my only hiccup in the 4 years my name has been on the lease here and the previous 3 I lived here with the former tenant and my credit score is above average. The property is managed through a property management group.

I know all landlords are different, but thinking forward to this coming august, is this a big flag to the point where I'm likely going to have to be looking for new housing?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jeza posted:

Not necessarily? Unless you're not telling us some other details that would imply it, such as they mentioned raising the rent or have given an indication that they don't like you as a tenant. More likely it was an honest mistake. They even waived the fees (possibly implying they realised they never sent the esign). It's a hassle for landlords to look for new tenants and such. I wouldn't expect it unless you're seriously underpaying on your rent in relation to the area, or you've done something that makes them want you to go.

Nope, the only other hiccup I had was that there was a $100 monthly increase for this lease so the following month (month 3 of the new lease) I got an automated email saying I owed $100, no late fees or anything. I went in and paid it and realized that the autopay system didn't automatically adjust the rent it was taking out, it was something I had to do manually (it had stayed the same for my previous three years so I never had a reason to adjust previously). I've only submitted maybe 5 maintenance requests and two of them were for the furnace going out during the middle of winter so I don't think I'm a pain in the rear end. They've never done an annual inspection and outside of the lease renewal process every year we barely communicate.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
yeah it would have been a total of an extra $250/month to go monthly and I knew I was going to be here for another year so it seemed silly to give away $150/month for no reason.

Anyway I just freak out about this stuff and I know it's 6 months away but I figured I'd ask now just to see how bad of a fuckup that was, because I really don't want to have to move.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh that's another question, where can I find out how many days notice they have to give me if they decide they don't want to let me stay for another year? 12 month lease in Colorado, I'm assuming it's somewhere between 30 and 90.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SIHappiness posted:

Google "Colorado tenants rights" or some variation. Nearly every state has some FAQs online that are published by a local non-profit, law school that operates a landlord/tenant program, etc.

thanks, from what i can find, since the renewal said a 12 month lease it's 90 days so that's good at least.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
wow sorry for unleashing landlord chat. I just wanted to know what my odds are of them not renewing my lease because of a fuckup on their end even though I've paid on time for almost 5 straight years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Q8ee posted:

you're gonna be fine, dude. I don't even know why they would try and screw you over due to a fuckup on their end, especially if you've been a tenant in good standing for 5 years.

I worry about stuff :kiddo: I've actually been here for 8, the first three I was roommates with the guy who had it before me. I like it and all of a sudden the other day had a panic attack about having to move.