Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

escape artist posted:

Two questions:

Also, what's the best audio program to use if the only two things that matter are:
it's easy to make a playlist, and easy to balance/equalize the audio of the songs, so that you can go away from the playlist, rather than having to constantly adjust the volume.

iTunes has some sound quality issues, and Windows Media Player plays them with wildly different volumes

Search "Replay Gain" on Wikipedia. Scan and tag your music with their Replay Gain values. Wikipedia has a list of scanners and players. I use Winamp for both (recently acquired by a new company who will hopefully keep it alive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I understand if Thursday has passed then the remaining day, Friday, would be no surprise, but if it's Wednesday then there are still two remaining days: Thursday and Friday. I don't see how Friday is eliminated until Thursday has passed.

Thanks for your help, I just haven't had this click yet :(

As the Wikipedia article explains, it has a lot do with how you define "surprised".

If the judge meant: "I will pick a day this week when you will be hanged, I will not tell you what day I pick, and you will not be told until you are brought from your cell." Then, that is perfectly valid, and it could be any day of the week. If it turns out that the judge picked Friday, then on Thursday afternoon, the prisoner will see it coming, but that doesn't violate what the judge meant.

The prisoner in the paradox takes it as : "I will pick a day this week when you will be hanged, I will not tell you what day I pick, and you will be unable to deduce the day of the hanging until the moment you are brought from your cell." Then the prisoner "knows" that it can't be Friday, as he would be able to deduce it by Thursday afternoon which would violate what the (prisoner thinks) the judge said. When Friday is eliminated, then Thursday becomes the last possible day, but by being the last possible day, then he would be able to deduce a Thursday hanging on Wednesday afternoon. This logic carries on through every day of the week. The prisoner then concludes that he can never be hanged, as that would violate what the (prisoner thinks) the judge said. By deciding that no day of the week could be a surprise, he has decided that he will never be hanged, which makes any day of the week a surprise (as the Wednesday hanging turns out to be in the paradox).

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

Me and My girlfriend were poking around past my dads property and stumbled on a herd of cows. Probably 30-50 of them. They noticed us pretty straight away and kept an eye on us as we approached. There were quite a few calfs and the bigger cows seemed to push them to the back but it was hard to tell if they were curious or aggressive.. We were pretty leery about getting super close because there were so many, but I'd never heard of anyone being trampled by spooked or protective cows. Is there any real danger in approaching them? Or étiquette?

As someone who grew up on a beef farm (~20 head), cattle generally don't pose much of a threat (although, they are very large and can do a lot of damage without trying). When I'd go out in the pasture most of the cattle would move away if I came close, so I wouldn't have been able to pet them easily if I wanted (unlike dairy cows that are used to human contact).

However, I've had a steer or two chase me, and we had one cow that was skittish and would stay away from people most of the year, but would be really defensive/aggressive when she had her calf and would go after people.

Most of the times when they go 'crazy', it's when they are in a small space and being singled out for something (shots, castration, de-horning). Even then most act fine, but I've seen some jump over and through fences, over doors and through windows. They can do a lot of damage once they start moving that large mass; it is amazing that they are kept in most the time by a single strand of electric fence.

As other people said, you shouldn't mess with other people's livestock without talking with the owner first (out of common courtesy and your own safety).

Edit: And the rule that I've always been told is to never trust a bull. So, don't go trying to pet the cattle if there is a bull with them.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 9, 2014

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
I heard this second-hand, but at my old job there was a guy who worked remote and had had poor performance and slow responsiveness for about a year. He then stopped doing any work all together. It turned out he had started a job at a different company, but never put in a notice that he was leaving. It took his (former) manager six months to get HR to "fire" him and stop sending him paychecks.

Someone who had been a manager explained that the HR process for poor performance took about a year of paper work, performance reviews, and meetings to finally bring about D-Day. On Decision Day, the employee was sent home and told to think about whether or not they wanted to keep working there. They could just decide to come back the next day and it started the whole one-year timer all over.

The company was non-union. A bad HR process, is a bad HR process.

On the other hand, they immediately fired the guy who was caught stealing sausages from the cafeteria.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

photomikey posted:

I had always heard it was when the doors closed. That's why sometimes you get to the gate 5 minutes late, the plane is still there, the jetbridge is still pushed up against the plane, the pilot is waving at you from the cockpit, but they won't let you board the plane because if they open the door again, the plane will be "delayed". So you just sit there 15 minutes and watch your plane, and then watch it get pushed away while you wait 2 hours for the next one.

Source: this has been me.

When this happened to me, they said they weren't allowed to open the door to the aircraft once it had been closed. I didn't ask them more and just assumed it was an FAA regulation, but maybe it was only to meet their metric.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Aren't most mice these days mostly ambidextrous, with handedness set in software?

They have both. Mice with special features (e.g. curved or extra buttons by the thumb) are handed, but there are plenty of ambidextrous basic mice.

I've been using Logitech Desktop MK120 Mouse and keyboard Combo for over two years with my left hand. The mouse plus keyboard was $15.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where is Buffy the Vampire Slayer available without paying for it individually?

All of the seasons are up on Netflix.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

In MPC-HC, is there a way to boost the volume of videos that are badly mastered and too quiet?

Phone-posting so I can't verify the specifics, but in Settings under Audio there should be a check box for "Normalization" or something like that.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What's the best thread here to ask in if I had a question about working in industrial electric motor winding?

You can try https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435068&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I need software to clip video files.

I have been using Avidemux recently. It can trim videos without re-encoding, which is nice.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That worked, but I got this error

And now if I try to open the file in Sony Vegas it has no video track, and if I try to open it in Adobe Premier it has no audio track :psyduck:

I didn't have that problem when I used Handbrake.

I have been using Avidemux for this. Open in the program, change the output container, and hit save. It saves it in the new container without transcoding (you can also select new video and audio formats, if you do want to transcode).

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

spog posted:

Someone may correct me, but I am fairly sure that you couldn't get the full podcast functionality of podcasts on the first couple of generations of non-ipod mp3 players

You could download the podcast using RSS on your PC, but not as part of the mp3 players software and even if you did get it on your, say, Sony music player, it wouldn't support resume or marking read.

Wikipedia posted:

"Podcast" is a portmanteau, invented by BBC journalist Ben Hammersley in 2004, of the words "pod" — from iPod, a popular brand of portable media player produced by Apple Inc.— and "broadcast". Despite the etymology, the content can be accessed using any computer or similar device that can play media files. Use of the term "podcast" predated Apple's addition of formal support for podcasting to the iPod, or to Apple's iTunes software.

Other names for podcasting include "net cast", intended as a vendor-neutral term without the loose reference to the Apple iPod. This name is used by shows from the TWiT.tvnetwork. Some sources have also suggested the backronym "portable on demand" or "POD", for similar reasons.

It's a bad name, but I imagine we're stuck with it now.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Q8ee posted:

I'm 24 years old, have been a hardcore gamer on PC since I was about 14. Long hours at the PC, and back in my WoW days (2006?) I heard so much worried talk about carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). I've never had a single issue with my wrists. So clearly long hours sat at the PC isn't enough to cause CTS. My question is: what does cause it? I've always been wary of it, and have done my best to keep straight wrists, but I'll admit I don't always do this. It's left me scratching my head, cause surely I should be most at risk for developing CTS, no?

funnily enough, writing this out has made my brain imagine phantom wrist pains lol

I happened to listen to this Freakonomics podcast episode not too long ago and it was very good:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/whatever-happened-to-the-carpal-tunnel-epidemic/

If I remember correctly, CTS affected and continues to affect people, mostly those doing repetitive manual labor. It also happened to affect a few journalists one time, and since journalists write the news, it became a big news story for a little while.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
As a data point, since I just received my lease renewal notice. I live in a place (in the US) with ~200 units owned by a company that has several places.

12 month: $1875 ($22,500 for 12 months)
6 month: $1925 ($23,100 for 12 months)
1 month: $2075 ($24,900 for 12 months)

So, over the course of a year it costs $2,400 more to do a month-to-month.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Q8ee posted:

If I'm doing a Mechanical Engineering degree in the UK, is there a way for me to specialize / transfer down the line into something more biologically focused? Biomechanical Engineering? Something that melds engineering with biology, really. Like prosthetics, cool cyborg poo poo.

I don't have an answer, but the Engineer thread might:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3209369&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Grifter posted:

I have a bunch of old DVDs. I want to turn them into video files that I can stream over my wifi. I've got the streaming part set up, but I don't know much about ripping DVDs. I want to turn them into not huge files (1-2 gigs). What's a good program for doing that that doesn't have a billion settings? I don't know which knobs to twiddle.

DVDFab is free (or rather the pay for version has all the features, but if you just want to copy a DVD to your hard drive, that part is available in the free version) and copies the DVD to your computer (5-9 GB).

Handbrake is free and can convert the copied DVD file to a compressed video file (0.5 - 1.2 GB).

The default video settings in Handbrake are fine. If you want to include subtitles in the video file, it is a few more steps, but nothing complicated.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Is it possible to clip the beginning and end of footage that's been recorded and already encoded in x264 without re-encoding it? I use OBS to keep a 15 minute buffer to capture at any time, similar to PS4 share and others, but usually I'm only interested in the last few minutes.

Right now I just use Handbrake, which works, but it re-encodes it in the process which I think is costing me some text readability.

(OBS gives me a choice of mp4, mkv and flv for the containers. Dunno if container is a factor or if it's down to codec.)

I have used Avidemux to trim videos in the past. Not sure if it will support your specific codec, but worth a try. Make sure to only trim it by going to key frames (for whatever reason it doesn't like if I use something other than a key frame for a trim point.)

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

I was on a flight a couple days ago and from the air I noticed several long, straight strips of cleared land that cut across the fields and forests.

They didn’t have roads or anything else built in them that I could see - just perfectly straight strips of grass. What were they?

Could be right of ways for powerlines (if you were too high up to distinguish them) or underground pipelines.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Why is goat meat sold with the bones still in? Like, if I buy any other kind of meat diced it's just meat, but goat is always a pain because it's full of random chunks of bone. I'd assume this was just a quirk of a particular butcher but it seems to be sold that way everywhere I've seen it - including cooked in restaurants.

I don't have an answer, but finding tiny, sharp bones in Indian dishes with goat meat more than once taught me not to eat goat meat dishes.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Memento posted:

Every now and then, my phone (Google Nexus 5X) will be bluetooth'd into my car stereo and the volume will just drop suddenly. Trying to turn the volume back up will produce a warning message with the text "Are you sure you want to turn the volume up, you may damage your ears if using headphones?" with a choice of yes or no. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does this. Is there a way I can turn that off?

I don't have a solution for you, but my Motorola Droid Turbo would do the same thing. I remember years ago having an MP3 player that had a volume limit with a warning on startup and it had to do with regulations in the EU market. Not sure if the phone thing is the same.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
I had had an issue with condensation on the inside of my windshield a few winters ago. I think it was the snow my shoes were bringing into the car. The internet told my to enable the A/C while running the heater. That pulled out the excesses moisture after a few drives. Now I turn the A/C on in the winter if I start seeing any condensation and it takes care of it right away.

No idea why the OPs car is doing it to such an extant and to just one side window.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

hooah posted:

Are there any of those tension-rod shower caddies that won't rust after a couple years?

I've been using this one for 2.5 years with no issues.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

Those guys by definition ran against the president, that's why they were the vice president. Every president/vice president pair that lasted two terms in that time had the vice president running against the incumbent president and losing the second time as well.

The 12th amendment abolished the "highest vote loser becomes vice president" method by the time the 1804 election happened. So Adams lost to Washington twice, Jefferson lost to Adams twice, and Aaron Burr's potential reelection as VP didn't happen because of the 1804 rule change.

It is crazy to think about having President Donald Trump with Vice President Hillary Clinton.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

credburn posted:

I have an old laptop that I want to format and give to a buddy whose only income is a monthly disability check. It has a legitimate copy of Windows 7 on it, but I can't find the restore disc and I don't think I'm going to. Is there a way to tell Windows to format the entire hard drive and make it like brand new without having to use it?

I've used Advanced Tokens Manager several in the past when reformatting a PC with a legitimate version of Windows, but without the restore disc. It backups up the specific activation key for that PC, then when you reformat and install windows (download the correct Windows version ISO), run the program again to activate that PC.

About six months ago my parents gave their old (slow) laptop running Windows 7 to one of my siblings, and wanted it wiped first (mostly to speed it up). I believe this was my process and it worked smoothly:

1) Download Windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft and put on a USB stick.
2) Run Advanced Tokens Manager to backup Windows 7 license just in case (didn't need it).
3) Upgrade to Windows 10, should automatically activate since the PC has a legitimate Windows 7 license.
3) Run Advanced Tokens Manager to backup Windows 10 license just in case (didn't need it).
4) Reformat harddrive and install Windows 10, should automatically activate since Window 10 was already activated on that PC.

That produced a computer that was fast again (or at least not as terribly slow as it had been) and had a clean install of the latest version of Windows.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

In older hotels, ones from the 70s or so, sometimes there's an additional light switch in the bathroom that turns on a red light bulb that puts out a bunch of heat. What is that supposed to be for? Was turning one's bathroom into a sauna a thing in the 70s?

I don't know if I've seen red light ones, but the ones I've come across are heat lamps. The idea is that it can be nice to step out of a shower into a warm bathroom, especially if it is winter and the place is a little chilly.

The apartment I am in has a bathroom fan that is also a combo heater. Turning the fan on to help with humidity from the shower also adds some hot air.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Nighthand posted:

What's the go-to recommended weather app for Android these days?

I like DarkSky, but they just announced that Apple bought them, and Apple is killing the Android app on July 1, hence needing to look for a replacement. Which is really a shame, I liked it enough I was on the cusp of buying a subscription for it.

I used WeatherUnderground for years, but then it started giving me issues. After trying out a few, I switched to Today Weather at least a year ago. It's not perfect, but it does enough of what I want that I stopped looking around.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Grifter posted:

I am looking for a copypasta that was around SA a while ago and probably other places too. It had to do with libertarianism. Basically it was a multi-paragraph description of a person getting up, eating breakfast, going to work, then coming home and posting on the internet about how terrible government regulations are. So it would say something like "I drink milk with my breakfast, because the FDA verifies that it won't poison me" and such but for water supplies, electricity, roads, etc. It pointed at the absurdity of protesting the existence of regulations while failing to realize how much you benefit from them.

This one?

This morning I was awoken by my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the U.S. Department of Energy.

I then took a shower in the clean water provided by a municipal water utility.

After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC-regulated channels to see what the National Weather Service of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather was going to be like, using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

I watched this while eating my breakfast of U.S. Department of Agriculture-inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

At the appropriate time, as regulated by the U.S. Congress and kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the U.S. Naval Observatory, I get into my National Highway Traffic Safety Administration-approved automobile and set out to work on the roads built by the local, state, and federal Departments of Transportation, possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level determined by the Environmental Protection Agency, using legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank.

On the way out the door I deposit any mail I have to be sent out via the U.S. Postal Service and drop the kids off at the public school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work thanks to the workplace regulations imposed by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, enjoying another two meals which again do not kill me because of the USDA, I drive my NHTSA car back home on the DOT roads, to my house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and Fire Marshal's inspection, and which has not been plundered of all its valuables, thanks to the local police department.

And then I log on to the internet -- which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration -- and post on Facebook and the Fox News forums about how SOCIALISM is BAD and the government can't do anything right.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

I thought about keeping a stick of deodorant in my car in case I forgot to put it on in the morning, so I googled "will deodorant melt in a hot car?" and Yahoo Answers (or whatever) had someone pose this very question. I never found the info I was after, but about 90% of the comments were stuff like "Couldn't tell you, I've never had to use the stuff" or "I just keep some in my desk drawer at work" or "I don't know but one time some magic markers melted in my purse and ruined everything", so if people will take the time to post stuff like that to Yahoo Answers, I'm sure they'll take the time to tell San Fran Super-Mom that her cilantro ginger turkey meatballs "look delish!"

I sometimes see Amazon FAQ answers that are "I don't know" and I always thought it was odd that someone would go out of their way to post that. Then someone pointed out the Amazon probably sends out automated emails with a FAQ for to people who had purchased that product. It then made more sense to me that people were responding "I don't know" to Amazon and not to the person asking the question.

I don't know if Yahoo Answers also sends questions to active users.

Edit: beaten :arghfist:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

FCKGW posted:

They do send out those emails, I've gotten them a few times.

They're very confusing for people who are not hipe with computers or know how reviews work because the body of the email is something like this:

If you're not a very savvy user, or just like helping people, you would think that the reviewer is trying to contact you, directly, for the answer so you would inclined to try and help them out or at least let them know that you don't know the answer.

Thanks, for confirming my theory. I have never received one of those e-mails, and didn't realize they were written to feel as personal and targeted.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 23, 2020

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

olives black posted:

I have a one-week gap between my current job and the next (handing in my 2 weeks today). Is it worth it to figure out how the gently caress COBRA works or is there an easier and/or cheaper option?

I am not any expert in any way, but when I talked to my old HR on the way out (over five years ago), they said that COBRA coverage was retroactive and I should just hold on to the paperwork and only fill it out and pay in if something happened in my two week gap. I made it to the coverage from my new job without incident, so I never filed.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
edit not quote :arghfist:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

NotNut posted:

what's the science fiction story where people are trapped in a bunker by a computer and no one knows what it's like outside?

Post here, the thread is pretty good with these questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&pagenumber=158&perpage=40

Also, probably not, but maybe Wool by Hugh Howey

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Can't speak for other countries but Canadian households are essentially the same as American ones in every aspect except we all have kettles and don't wear our shoes inside.

My experience has been that most households in the US don't wear their shoes inside. The exceptions that come to mind were families that immigrated to the US.

But, I've heard this description of the US before, so maybe my Midwestern experience isn't very representative. :shrug:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
It's been years since I had a programming class, so I may be way off on this. But I thought the source code was kind of the pre-compiled stuff. So it would be more human readable and have comments in it. The program or cartridge that the end-user has would be much more condensed and not easy for a person to read and figure out how to modify or exploit.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

tuyop posted:

There's a kid's movie I loved from the 80s or 90s. It's animated and has a very striking style, I want to say lots of contrast. In this movie there were a couple of small mammals who had to go on an adventure somewhere, eventually over a mountain. But the whole time they're being chased by a fox. Eventually the fox gets attacked by some large bird on a snowy mountain and it's close to the climax of the movie.

Does anyone know what movie I'm talking about?

I don't, but I would try the thread in CD

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910996

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

A good friend of mine recently became my girlfriend and she is precious to me and I love her to pieces, and she has borderline personality disorder. Is there a good thread to go talk about her and maybe get advice? Should I start my own thread in e/n?

Not quite what you were asking, but I read "I Hate You - Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality" by Jerold J. Kreisman, Hal Straus after getting out of a relatively-short relationship with someone with BPD. I knew nothing of BPD before or during the relationship and reading the book put a lot of things into perspective.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

the computers would keep running until they lost power. even with backup generators, that isn't going to take more than a few days to a week or so without humans running the power generating equipment.

That was my first thought too. Even if the power system didn't drop off immediately, any storm that came through would knock out power and there would be no restoration. Eventually the system would trip out on instability.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Is there some kind of utility I can run to monitor my internet connection quality/speed/ping/etc and just generate a report of it over the course of a day or two? My connection has been poo poo for a while and my ISP came out and was able to tell me it's not my router (because it still had issues when connected directly to the PoE) and that it seemed like it was some device on their infrastructure somewhere, but they haven't fixed it yet. I want something with more granularity and detail than just running the occasional speed test, in part because I feel like my issues aren't just speed but stability. It'll dip for a few seconds but by the time I initiate a speed test, it has picked back up, so it's hard to track.

It might not have the level of detail you're looking for, but Testmy.net automatic speed test was what I used to automatically record connection speed at set intervals to help document an intermittent ISP issue for someone.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

-I have a plug-in desk fan that turns on at the highest setting, and I immediately turn it down. I used to be able to do this pretty much immediately, but more recently I have to give it a second or two to spin up before turning it down or it will sort of sputter out and stop. What could cause that?

I don't have the answer, but about awhile ago I watched this YouTube video on why High is next to Off on fans. I don't remember the specifics anymore, but the problem that is being addressed by starting at High could be the same thing as what you are seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

Is there a thread for new phones?

Alternately what's a decent phone that's not too expensive and still has a 3.5mm jack if that even exists?

Here you go https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3026166