Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^^What he said

Anjow posted:

Once upon a time someone mentioned to me that incredibly purified water is used in some industrial or scientific processes and that to touch this water would be harmful, because it would suck nutrients from the skin via osmosis.

Is there any truth to this? I have looked up purified water on wikipedia but it only talks about the harmful effects of drinking it - not touching it.

And also I imagine with the amount of bacteria, etc on your skin, any purified water applied wouldn't really stay purified for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

kalonji posted:

Can anyone tell me about a good over the counter medication for sinus colds/head colds. I used to use sudafed but thanks to the tweakers that doesn't work anymore.

E: :canada:

Pseudoephedrine isn't the worst, but it's not amazing. Personally I've found taking loratadine every day helps to eventually stop the frequency of my sinus headaches.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Does a program exist that levels the audio in a group of audio files? I burn a lot of mp3 CDs, and I'm really loving sick of having all the songs peak at around the same volume level, except a few obscenely louder ones and several really quiet ones.

Is there such a thing as a program that will level the audio of a bunch of files at once? I don't want to have to open each one individually in a sound editing program and have to do it by hand if I don't have to.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Travakian posted:

This guy: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

This is the best and you are the best. Thank you!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is there a website where former employees can go and review old employers for people looking for jobs?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Sooo I have braces and a palate expander and I forgot to tell my great aunt. Why does this matter? Because my great aunt sends me a totally sweet tin of Popcorn Factory popcorn every Halloween-ish :cry: It arrived today.

So what I'm asking is, what's the deal with braces & popcorn? I know I'm not supposed to eat it, but is it a crunching thing or something more insidious? Because I can totally chew carefully or just suck on it I guess.

I think it's the little flat sharp bits of kernel that get wedged into your teeth. I imagine those pose a problem with braces.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Broke my pelvis and both my feet a little less than a month ago. They've given me these boots to keep my tendon flexed so I don't get drop foot, and they're uncomfortable but better than the alternative.

Since returning home from the hospital, I was able to sleep alright, even though i did have to wake up to roll over. Now, I can't sleep. It's horrible.

I thought it was the boots, so I got permission from my PT to sleep without them as long as I promised to flex extra much and always wear the boots during the day. While removing the boots has helped, I still am barely pulling in 5 hours a night, and it's all broken up into one-or-two-hour chunks. It's horrible.

Last night I awoke absolutely drenched in sweat. I was using an electric blanket (gotta stay with my parents for now, their house is goddamn freezing) and the tempurature felt totally comfortable, I had no idea why I sweat so much. Soaked my pjs, sheets, pillow, had to wake my parents up for a towel so I didn't freeze when my skin touched the air.

This isn't normal for me. Normally I can sleep pretty well. First I figured it's just my body healing, getting back to normal, not being all drugged. But this all started right as I stopped using the prescription meds the doctor gave me, Norco. I've been on the meds since the 7th or 8th of last month, and just stopped using them a few days ago.

...Am I going through withrdawal, or am I just unable to sleep due to the fact that I am unable to burn much energy during the day? At night I'm fidgety, restless, unable to get comfortable, unable to find a good temperature, and always waking up miserable and unable to fall asleep again for hours.

I guess my question is, am I going through withdrawal? If not, are there any remedies for night sweats for people not going through any hormonal imbalances? I'm at my wit's end, I can't keep this up for very long.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Your doctor should've reduced your dose gradually instead of stopping you cold turkey. Ask him WTF.

Will do. I have about five or six pills left. He had me taking two every four hours...should I maybe take one every six hours or something to try to ease down or should i not bother now i've already quit? I don't wanna be an addict :(

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yes. Norco is Hydrocodone and withdrawal is no fun. Give it a week and you should be fine.

Well at least I'm not wrecked for life, but this will probably be the longest week ever. I've never had withdrawal before and I gotta say, it sucks about a million dicks.

dokmo posted:

:hfive: sup pelvis breaking buddy

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about getting through this.

I don't have PMs, do you maybe have an AIM? Mine's my username.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

stubblyhead posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you guys go about breaking your pelvis?

Fell really, really hard down a very tall, very steep flight of stairs onto concrete. My own ignorant clumsiness, and I've paid for it and paid for it, with pain and soon with all my money and more :(

edit: cracked it in half, actually. Doctor said usually my kind of pelvic fracture is for car or motorcycle accidents, and if the force that broke it had been applied to, say, my ribcage or head, I wouldn't have survived :v:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

flesy posted:

hey dude you're withdrawing from opiates, you need to talk to your doc about getting off of those safely ok

<-- see; burnouts tag

Is riding it out not safe? The doctor is an hour away, I cannot drive, and my mother is a very very bootstraps kind of person.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Gobbeldygook posted:

The only recreational drugs where withdrawal has a chance of killing you are alcohol and benzos (ie xanax, valium, etc). Opiate withdrawal blows, but it's not actually going to kill you.

edit: For more information and possibly more specific advice, check out the withdrawal megathread.

Thank you very much.

edit: Thank everyone for your replies!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well you're assuming none of those law students have ever torrented themselves, and also that every single one of them would want to fight for the same side. I dunno, with 10 being most retarded, 6 or 7?

Edit: and that's not really "world ending" like the 2012 catastrophe is supposed to be, it'll only affect countries who have the technology to steal, and the laws against said stealing.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I want to download this. I want it so bad, but when I click the download link, I get an error message. The site says:

the site posted:

If you get an error message while trying to download the file, please diable any web-anonymizer software that blocks referral headers, some internet security software may also disable the referral header.

But I do not know what this means. Is there something in firefox that is blocking my ability to download it? I use standard firefox with the pop-up blocker add-on. Disabling my popup blocker does not fix it.

What do I do to allow me to download this thing?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Schweinhund posted:

mirrored for u
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7vmsl6

Thank you so, so much! You are a prince among posters.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I have a friend who is wanting to put on a play in Springfield, Illinois. Apparently the theater scene there is very limited, not many venues, etc. He's running into issues and is considering possibly renting and putting together a venue of his own.

Are there any websites or resources I can recommend to him to help walk him through the process of putting together an independent show/possibly opening a small venue? My google skills are failing me in my search.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Any idea where I can find a nice, cushioned, and supportive pair of tennis shoes on the cheap? Preferably something solid and simple and that comes in plain black (I may have to wear these to a work place that ordinarily does not allow tennis shoes).

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A giant THANK YOU to the goons who had information about good shoes - I appreciate it.

I use lithium hosting for my small-time website...that's goon-run, isn't it? I can't find the lithium hosting thread. Is it still around?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Forums related question:
How are people bolding words and changing the size of words in their post?

To bold words you just put the letter "b" in brackets before the bolded phrase and "/b" in brackets after the bolded phrase. Not sure about the size changes though.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

Quick banking question, if I open a business account and my business name is super offensive would they put it on my debit card? Example, "Pussy Pics, LLC"

Yeah they just probably wouldn't talk openly about your business by that name in front of other customers. I don't know if all banks are the same but at the bank where I worked, if you ordered a business debit card, your business name came first and your actual name goes under that, automatically. That's just how it's done, regardless of name.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
What's the best data recovery program I can get for not too much money?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

BorderPatrol posted:

What's the problem with your disk and what kind of data are you looking to recover?
What OS are you trying to recover from? What media are you using (Harddrive, DVD, Memory card?)
Some more info would help us get the proper program for you to use.

Damaged partition? TestDisk
Deleted a couple files? PhotoRec or Recuva.

Note: All these tools should not be installed to or run from the disk you're trying to get data from.

My laptop is over six years old now and it fucks up every so often - windows XP. Unfortunately it stopped booting up last week and repairing it didn't work so I had to just re-install Windows. It being a 6-year-old laptop, I didn't have a lot of important info on it, but there are a handful of files I'm sorry to lose, and was wondering if it's possible to restore files on a wiped pc. If it's not possible that's ok, just grasping at straws.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Maynardr6 posted:

There's a program that reasonably easy to use called getdataback ntfs. It does a scan and then you can restore the stuff it finds. For the best chances of success, don't download anything or do anything that would write to the drive as the files you're looking for will be in the free space and will be written over. Download an iso of hirens boodcd on a seperate computer, burn it, and you'll find it in a folder called "wintools" or something like that. If you need any more help, let me know. Again, don't even use the laptop as just using it, things will be being written.

EDIT: oh yea, and don't restore to the disk either. restore to flash drive. Photorec was metioned. It is also on the hirens cd if you boot to the cd, but it's dos based and a little less intuitive, but it's very good at restoring known file types like pictures. It's very good though, and if you have trouble with getdataback, try it.

Thanks! That's really awesome! I won't be able to try it til I can actually get to my other computer later this month...til then my laptop's all I have so I guess I'll just have to risk using it. Again, I didn't keep anything deadly important on here, so if I lose something it won't be the end of the world. Thanks again for your help!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Soal_Fish posted:

browser things

Hey, I just wanted to say, gently caress yes pimpzilla.

As for my question, a friend of mine used my cast iron skillet a few months ago while I was away from my apartment and didn't clean it. I return home to find it rusting in spots. :( What do I do?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

i am not zach posted:

When someone dies how do banks figure this out and what do they do with any funds in the account if nobody claims it?

Banks figure it out when their next of kin brings some ID and a death certificate. If any account is left inactive long enough (the time varies from bank to bank) the accounts are closed but I'm not sure what happens to money left in the account. Possibly a cashier's check is cut and mailed to the account holder.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

very posted:

I noticed that a tip that I wrote onto the receipt for dinner last weekend didn't get charged. I feel like a jerk but I didn't do anything wrong except not have cash. I did pay 60 bucks in cork fees. Are those treated like tips? That would make me feel better.

Is it still pending? Sometimes the tip won't show up until after the charge has come out. Otherwise you might call and mention it? I don't know about the cork fees thing.

MY QUESION: I want to get a flat screen tv. What feature do I need to look for that will prevent DVDs from looking like they're going in fast motion? I don't know how else to describe it, but older videos look like poo poo on some flat screens and I don't want that.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A dude hit my car earlier this week. He was uninsured and I don't have full coverage. My car runs, but it's old/lovely so the damage is worth about as much as the car.

He's saying he's gonna pay me the money my mechanic estimated. That's terribly unlikely because this guy's a flake, but if he does, am I legally obligated to spend the money on my car? I was hospitalized/temporarily crippled for a few months and the medical bills feel more pressing than what largely amounts to cosmetic damage on my old car.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Wagonburner, OneEightHundred, Bojanglesworth, Ridonkulous: thank you for the replies!

The medical issues came before the car wreck it just a minor skid-and-bump in a slick parking lot - so he's got no responsibility there.

I just didn't want him to pay me, get indignant when he sees me still driving a my car with a busted front, and cause me some legal trouble over it.

All I have on my car is liability, and I don't even know what that means except they probably won't help much since he's uninsured, but in the next year my mom's upgrading her car and I get hers and I'd like to try to wait it out and pay the hospital instead.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

A Typical Goon posted:

If I've lost all the keys to my car, what are my options? So far I've heard go to the dealer or go to a locksmith and get them to make me a new key. However, I can't find anything about the costs. Anyone been in this situation and know about it?

Depends on the car. My car's an old POS that nobody makes anymore. Getting a new key made from the dealer cost me $10. If you have a fancier car/key set, it's going to cost you more, but a standard old key shouldn't break the bank.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I need to move files from a MAC onto an external hard drive that has been used with windows computers (and will be used with windows in the future)

I plug the hd into the mac, and it says its read-only. How can i move these files onto the drive without:

1. deleting any of the info on the drive
2. making it unusable for windows

any help is appreciated!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

haveblue posted:

Number 1 might be a little tricky, but I'm guessing this is because the disk is formatted NTFS. If you format it as FAT32 it will be readable and writable on both Mac and Windows.

CaptainViolence posted:

My understanding of the situation (which I've dealt with before) is thus, though somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

If none of the files are bigger than about 4 gigs, you could put them on a drive formatted to FAT32, but that's the only file system I know of that both Mac and Windows reads and writes to without an outside program (i.e. MacDrive for Windows that lets you use the Mac HFS+ file system). All the thumb drives I've ever used were FAT32, but if you want to use that one drive specifically, you either have to find a program for Mac that allows you to write to NTFS, or create a FAT32 partition on that drive.

Thank you both for the help! Ultimately some harder Googling got me the answer in the form of some useful freeware.

For anyone else with this issue, the programs MacFUSE and NTFS-3g were all I needed to get the issue sorted.

Thanks again for the speedy replies, hope all this helps someone in the future.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Refrain?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Would this work with the Samsung Evergreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-AAET503CBEBSTD-Handset-cable-mini-phone/dp/B0012GWTQE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I know it's not listed in the product description, but I can't find any product anywhere that DOES list the evergreen and it can't be that the evergreen has some special jack that no other samsung phone has in the universe.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I used to work at a bank. With my job there, I was given a bank account for my direct deposit.

I no longer work there. I had a coworker bullying me and harassing customers every day, and no matter who I asked to help me with it up the chain of command, nothing was done, so I left. On my way out, I e-mailed the regional manager (who I'd talked about this issue with before) and said, I'm leaving because this is a hostile work environment, it's not about the bank, I liked working here, I'm sorry to go. I said nothing bad about the bank or let on that I had any intention of messing anything up in regards to my account.

Now, I can't loving pay any bills with echecks or phone checks. They're all being rejected. The money is there, and these are hospital bills. I think my bank has disabled my ability to do this since my employment was terminated. Is this legal? They've no grounds - I've always been responsible with my account. I've only overdrafted it once EVER, last year, in an emergency (hospital bills), well under my "acceptable overdraft" limit, and it was paid back with my next direct deposit never to go under again.

What the gently caress spiteful bullshit is this. They've got Telechecks rejecting my payments. What can I do about this? Is there some kind of legal hell I can raise or am I just going to have to leave this bank? I'm so angry right now I can't stand it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Loopyface posted:

What did the bank say when you called them?

I just figured it out last night. They're open today, but no managers work Sundays, so I get to stew over this. I tried paying for a cheap Amazon thing with an echeck, same result: rejected because of a warning in Telecheck. And naturally Telecheck doesn't seem to have the option to talk to a real person and none of the automatic options apply to my issue.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Could someone tell me about Ally bank? It sound super but I'm a little wary of an online only bank.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Gravity Pike posted:

My Visa credit card doesn't work at my local grocery store (QFC), but works elsewhere. My Visa debt card, through the same bank, does work at the QFC. I noticed this maybe a week ago. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'd say it's an error in the system of QFC. Obviously it's not a Visa issue and it's not an issue with your card. Their systems may not be able to read that particular card for some reason.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

spixxor posted:

Also-I experienced my first episode of sleep paralysis last night, and it was loving terrifying. Is there anything in particular that causes it and can I do anything to lessen the chances of it happening again because gently caress that poo poo.

Try not to sleep on your back. I've heard that sleeping on your back encourages weird sleep poo poo to happen.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yes but they generally charge like $5 unless you can sweet talk the teller.

Do not try to sweet talk the teller. That is so loving obnoxious. I've had hundreds of douche bags come up like they were the most special loving case in the world with a sob story a mile long for why I shouldn't adhere to bank policy just for them. It didn't work and it shouldn't work. Please don't hassle people just doing their job because you don't have a bank.

Just pay the $5. Some places charge a certain amount per $100, some a flat fee. You may get them to waive the fee if you agree to open an account with them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, because I am going to pay a fee just so some whiny baby doesn't cry about their job later. First off, it isn't your money so who the gently caress cares, second the fee is bullshit to begin with. Not to mention that saying, 'do you mind waiving the fee for me?' is all it takes, its not like I am showing up with a dozen roses.

Right, but the teller doesn't control the bank. The teller can get in trouble, however, for waiving every fee for every oh so polite customer who comes to the counter. Not every bank charges for this kind of thing. As for those that do: just open up a bank account of your own somewhere and you can have all the free checks cashed you want! Simple!

Besesoth posted:

I continue to be flatly astonished that a bank charging a non-customer a fee for cashing a check drawn on that bank doesn't violate some kind of usury law.

"Free Checking!" (because we're going to charge the people you write checks to fees instead!)

Not every bank does that. The banks who do may have huge account goals to meet or something. If you open an account with them, they'll deposit that check with no fee. It sucks, but so do account goals.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yeah, from my experience, all bank fees are pretty much bullshit. They make their profits from actually holding the money, and everything besides that is just unnecessary milking. The big customers don't have to pay a cent for services, you can count on that.

You're right, most of the fees are gigantic bullshit and it's a shame. I'm just saying it doesn't mean you should hassle a teller to make your day easier. As a teller, I'd love to waive more fees but I need a source of income.

I don't get why people just don't open their own bank accounts somewhere so they don't have to worry about originating banks and bullshit like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have several bank accounts at two different banks. The point of cashing a check on the bank it was written on is so you can either have cash, or in my case can deposit cash into my own bank. I have direct deposit for both of my jobs so the only case where I am going into a different bank to cash a check is when it is for freelance work.

Your bank won't let you cash checks there :confused: That sucks!

Also: fishmech has it right on the money (ha).

A QUESTION: I'm looking for some decent yoga instructional videos. There are so many tons of them out there: which one would be good for a beginner looking to get into yoga? My parents swear by the P90X yoga and have offered to lend it to me, but I'm not terribly flexible due to an injury and P90X seems to be all about kicking your rear end all the time.