Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The other day I was outside on my back porch, and noticed a large-ish ant going around and around in a circle about an inch in diameter. Other than the world's smallest donut, what was he doing?

Edit: circle was about an inch, ant was maybe 4-5mm long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Looking for a free messageboard hosting service, like proboards, which meets the following criteria:

- allows admins to merge threads
- has decentish support
- has an 'ignore user' function
- does not put those contextual ads all over the text (where a random word is highlighted with a link to a Google ad or somesuch)

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted and I hope this is not a complete fantasy. :) Alternately, if one were to put up a messageboard on one's own hosting, which bboard package does all (or most) of this?

Edited to add: Infolinks! That's the fucker we don't want!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The Geoff: Rent a cleaner for the rug and soft furnishings (assuming the couch cushion covers can't be taken off and carefully washed). In Canada at least, many supermarkets will have the cleaners available for rental near the front of the store. I'm not sure about the table though. Condolences on living in a reeking mess.

Fake edit: you could also go to a pet store and look for a product designed to get rid of biological-based stains and messes.

Real edit: to make it clear(er) what I was referring to.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mathemagician posted:

How do I get rid of armpit sweat stains? I've tried nearly every method I could find via google, including alcohol wipes, bleach, dish soap, laundry detergent, and pet stain remover. Will Bac-Out work? Or do I need to go to a dry cleaners or something?

What kind of fabric is it?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Try a skin cream with alpha-hydroxy acids in it; it will speed up skin-cell renewal.

Question: how long does it take for an estate to be settled in Canada? My mother died a few months ago (dad died years before). Her house was already sold because she had to go to a care facility about six years ago, and there's no other large property to dispose of like a car. My older sister is the executor and she's as trustworthy as the dawn, so no problem there, and the will does not have to go through probate or anything. I feel a bit guilty being impatient but to be brutally honest, I need the money. :( In August we were told that the money from her RIF could be released, but now the government/bank/whoever needs to chew the taxes out first.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Let's say my friend's cell number is (613)555-1234. I know that if I send an email to 6135551234@vmobile.ca, it will appear on her Virgin Mobile phone as a text message. If I wanted to send an email to someone's Rogers phone as a message, what would I put after the @? Would it be 6135556789@rogers.com?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yes, they're in Canada. Thanks to both of you for your replies. :)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Orzo posted:

If I am filling some tube socks with gravel, and the gravel is a little bit wet (it came like that in the bag), and then I wrap the socks with duct tape (making some makeshift weights), will they get all moldy and nasty?

Small/stupid question: can you not let the gravel dry out a little first? Spread it out onto a newspaper or a towel?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Re: driving situation -- you can probably at least hire the driving teacher's car for the actual test. Often the teachers know where the examiners will take you (in case there's a tricky intersection or a hill to park on, for instance) and passing the test will probably help your confidence a lot. I can't help you with the driving anxiety, unfortunately, as I'm in a similar situation myself. :(

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Where's the bra megathread gone? Has it been archived?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's in W&W now.

Thank you. :)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

They've probably got some sort of traffic shaping in place so that torrents receive a lower priority over types of network activity.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Seriously, just relax and try to figure out what you're good at and which courses you most enjoy. You'll find yourself gravitating towards something sooner or later; don't sweat it. It'll be OK. :)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Can an xBox play region 0 PAL DVDs? We're in Canada.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Elijya posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole purpose of a DVD being region 0 is that any player can play them, so I would confidently guess the answer is yes. The region coding is just to prevent international film piracy, and region zero essentially means there's no anti-piracy coding on the disc.

Thanks very much for your reply. :) Now, what about the whole PAL/NTSC/bein' in Canada thing? Does that matter? The DVD is PAL format.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

(sorry, I think this got lost) We use the bf's xBox as our DVD player; will it be able to play PAL DVDs? We're in Canada.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks for that; reripping might be an option. Forgot to mention it's a 360. (I never touch the thing and was going to embarrass myself by saying 'it's white')

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I do remember, and I'm pretty sure it was goon-made too.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I had surgery and needed an IV hooked up to me for 5 days. Im on my last day. Instead of staying in the hospital, in Canada we have organizations that will bring a nurse to your home once a day to change the bag, clean your dressings and make sure everything is ok.

Second day in, and my IV ran out. Called once an hour starting at 8PM to let them know. The operators said they cant get a hold of the nurse and will keep trying. 3AM rolls around and a nurse finally calls me and tells me she cant make it out, but will tell me how to change my IV myself, along with programming the machine that hangs around my neck.

I stayed very calm and nice through this because its late and I wanted to sleep. I called the next day and complained, letting them know what happened. The nurse didn't know the names of some of the buttons on the machine while I was on he phone with her, and didn't know how to lock the machine so I wouldn't roll on it while sleeping and gently caress with it. I was also the one to figure out how to start the IV - she said just to press the start button (which did nothing) and when she was trying to think of how to actually do it, I already held down the Start button which did work. She said "oh yeah! Hold it down, so sorry!"

They even admitted to being wrong, and come Monday they will launch an investigation into this. I have no problem confronting people when they do wrong, and do not let people push me around, and I want some justice out of this. I told them I am not a nurse or doctor and shouldn't be in charge of doing these things when I'm sick and under painkillers, and regardless of that, the nurse --never showed up--

While I am not money hungry, and am more doing this to set them straight, but wondering if this could lead to any compensation on my part. Imagine I was an elderly man who couldn't read the tiny loving font on the machine, or just someone who wasn't techy in general?

I think I can seek legal aid in this - you guys think its worth it?

I'm not a lawyer, but I know there's a megathread and you might want to ask there. You may have to be able to prove actual damages or malpractice, such as suffering adverse effects from not receiving the medication (or whatever was in the IV) that you needed. I would definitely report it to the head office of the VON (if that's who was providing the service) or the College of Nurses of Ontario, which is their professional governing body. Remember, Canada isn't like the US in terms of suing for damages either.

Edited to add: I hope it wasn't the VON. :ohdear: They were absolutely awesome after my dad was in a car accident and needed dressings changed daily at home.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

They might wonder what you were doing with yourself for a few months, if you weren't also working.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Friend sent me an Xbox question and I'm stumped:

quote:

We're having some problems here. It started off OK when we were with O2, then about 7 months or so ago, we set up with Virgin Cable. We had it connected through the wireless router, but the connection was dreadful, the lag so vast that games were unplayable. I then bought a long ethernet cable which went out of son's bedroom window, and through a vent to the living room where the router is located. This improved things up until about a month ago. Being kicked out of a game for poor connection is a regular occurence; about 10 times an evening. So, thinking that the outside cable might be weathered and perhaps suffering some pinch damage from having the window closed on it, I bought a new cable (15m) and routed it through the floorboards/ceiling. This again improved things for a few days, but it's back to being useless again.
I've been in the router and opened up all the recommended ports, I've set the NAT to relaxed mode, and I've even toyed with the MTU settings (currently 1500) to no avail.
I regularly do broadband speed tests which tell me we're getting almost 10MB download speeds and almost 1MB upload with ping times of around 35ms.
WTF is up with it?

He has this issue regardless of whether the other computers in the house are being used, so it's not a matter of something else eating all the bandwidth. Any ideas?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Soak a washcloth in hot water and press it to the pimple; if you keep doing that, it will eventually force a head to appear so you can pop it. Nuclear option: a dermatologist can inject something into it, but you probably couldn't get that done in time.

Edit: slather it in benzoyl peroxide cream as well (like Oxy). Do be aware that b.p. bleaches textiles, so put it on at night and use an old pillowcase.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 19, 2010

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks gwar3k1; I will pass that on.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yes, you can; I do it all the time. Gimme a minute.

(edit) OK, I know I asked about it earlier in this thread, so I had to search my own posts to find you this link: http://www.email-unlimited.com/stuff/send-email-to-phone.htm

Not listed on that site: messages to Virgin Mobile Canada are 10digitphonenumber@vmobile.ca

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 1, 2011

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

It's not just old people who talk about diseases all the time; women over about age 45 seem to relish discussing their medical issues and those of their immediate family. Or maybe that's just my coworkers. :smithicide:

Re: Listerine -- I have also seen/heard it touted as a cure for horses with itchy tails; you wash the dock (the bony part of the tail) with it.

Question! How can you fix a split zipper, and prevent it from happening again? The other night I had to pull my winter coat off over my head. :(

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I live in Ontario. Do I have any legal recourse against an obnoxious, harassing neighbour in the same building? (house) The landlord knows about the issue but won't do anything, though he's on our side. If it matters, my boyfriend and I have lived here a lot longer than the neighbour.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks and no, I don't live in Toronto. Guess we just have to hope the landlord either grows a pair, or she moves out.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why do some stores like Canadian Tire make you push through a turnstile to enter? Is it a way of counting how many people come in?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Dudebro posted:

Maybe that's normal for Canada. Mine has been like that for 15 years. Makes a lot more sense. It's like having every kids put up their chair instead of the janitor doing each one. I'm not sure how package conflicts work but it shouldn't happen too often. Every dozen or so houses should share at least two package compartments.

It seems to be the norm in new subdivisions in Canada, though I haven't heard of them converting mailboxes on existing streets, where they've got one mailbox per household/apartment.

Aside: I've always found the British custom of having a letter slot in the door kind of bizarre; here that would be drafty as hell and frozen over several months of the year.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

nesbit37 posted:

Are there any specific retail websites that are good for buying foreign language, specifically French, language books? I don't mean books on how to learn a language, but a site that sells things like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones in French as well as just general books that may exist only in French.

Amazon US usually doesn't have much, and when it does its usually way overpriced. You can't of course just order from other country's Amazon sites. Places like abebooks are ok, but selection is spotty and some times its a crapshoot on price.

There's also Chapters/Indigo, which is Canadian: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/?__lang=fr-CA&LangType=3084

Shipping rates (in English): http://help.indigo.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/28/

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Other than being forums famous...my take on it would be that it's still two people, two identities, etc.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

hecho en mexico posted:

does anyone know the best way to get ink out of a shirt? someone left a pen in their pocket when they put their poo poo in the dryer and i got ink all over my favorite t-shirt. it's like day-glo yellow, so i'm not sure if bleach is going to work or whatever.

Hairspray often works for regular pen ink, but if the shirt has already gone through the dryer it might be too baked in. Can't hurt to try, though. Spray the poo poo out of the ink with the hairspray, let sit a few minutes, then wash as normal.

(edited because I fail at the reading comprehension)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Captain Novolin posted:

Every Halloween I'd get these candies, they were black (or very dark brown), and came in orange and black wrappers with witches and black cats and whatnot on them. They were like a toffee, but hard as hell (kids would literally chip teeth on them) and I want to say they were black licorice flavoured. It's hard to remember the exact flavour because they tasted like like complete poo poo and I've been trying to block it out of my mind for decades. Does anyone know what these were called?

I don't know but I can still feel my fillings loosen; those things were actively dangerous.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I just had a job interview today (office-type job), and one of the questions I was asked was "What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something which you knew was very much against company policy?" I refrained from the obvious goony answer of "joining in if it looks like fun" :black101: and replied that I would talk to them to see if they were aware of what they were doing, and then notify a manager if they persisted. Question: was that a decent answer? What are they looking for when they ask that?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

One problem with newspaper comics is that the readership seems to be made up largely of very vocal old people who will scream blue murder if the ancient uninteresting crap like Family Circus or Marmaduke gets booted in favour of something fresher. If you haven't been following them already, you would probably enjoy the hell out of the comic strip megathreads in the BSS subforum.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

wildfire1 posted:

I'm trying to find a page that I saw ages ago that detailed ancient rome poetry, specifically 'rap battle' style things where each poet would insult the other. My google-fu is failing me, so hopefully someone could find me something to prove to my friend I didn't just make it up!

There's a fantastic history megathread in GBS; I'd look through it or ask in the thread; there are some classicists hanging out in there.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why is cat piss so much more pungent than the urine of other animals? I can smell the neighbour's apartment. :gonk:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Your neighbor probably just doesn't ever clean his/her litter box and lets the cat piss all over the apartment as a result of having a full litter box.

You definitely should not be able to smell animal urine through a wall.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening; she's kind of a pig at the best of times. I was wondering, though, what is it about feline metabolism or whatever that makes their urine smell so much worse than that of other species.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thank you, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

When you're sore and achy and have a bath with Epsom salts added to the water, how the salts actually help sore muscles? Or do you just think they do?