Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

...but for changing oil all you really need is a jack (or some method of ramp or something to help you get under your car)...

I'm pretty sure you want to keep the car flat so the oil drains properly. If your car is lowered enough that you can't squeeze under, you just have to take it to a shop unless you know someone with a lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I have some action figures that I got from my brother when he was going through a simplification phase. I want to sell them on ebay or SA mart or something, but I have no idea what the gently caress they are. What would be the best subforum to ask in? I think they might be anime action figures, but it's hard to tell.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Is there a word for falsely attributing something to someone famouser than its actual author in order for it to seem more important than it actually is. Examples would be the "wear sunscreen" monologue thing falsely attributed to Kurt Vonnegut in the nineties, the "11 rules of life" attributed to Bill Gates, and all kinds of quotes attributed to either Oscar Wilde or Benjamin Franklin.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

A Violence Gang posted:

"misattribute" unless there's some reason you're avoiding it.

I'm wondering if there's a specific term for intentional misattribution, I guess.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
My cat peed on a chair and I sprinkled vinnegar on the chair to get rid of the cat pee smell, but now my apartment smells like vinnegar. Is there something I can use to neutralize the vinnegar? I Febreezed it to bejeezus and back and it still smells.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I know the dimensions of mattresses and box springs are basically standardized in terms of the width and length, but what about height? If I build something with the current height of my mattress and box spring in mind, will I possibly be screwed later if I get a different mattress?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
How do I figure out what generation a Kindle is?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Is there a way to stop Internet Explorer from notifying me that I'm about to view a page that contains secure and unsecure items? I'm on a work computer that can only connect to one website where we check our corporate email. It gets old having to agree to display secure and unsecure items every single time I want to check my email.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks, guys. That totally worked. Is there a way to get Internet Explorer to not care that the name of a security certificate doesn't match the name of the site?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Okay. Thanks. We can only access one domain on this computer, so I'm not that worried about security. Just convenience.

Edit: Chinese Tony Danza, have you considered soaking them in epoxy resin?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I moved into an apartment with my ex-girlfriend. We broke up, she moved out, and I continued to live there for about six months. The refund check I got for the damage deposit has both of our names on it. I don't want to involve her in the process of cashing it because I need the money now and she's going to dick me around and make me wait for days or weeks, and that's if she hasn't moved out of state like she was planning the last time I talked to her. My credit union wouldn't let me deposit the check because her name isn't on my checking account.

Am I going to be able to cash this check by myself? It's drawn on Keybank, if it matters.

And for what it's worth, I paid the whole deposit with my own money, including non-refundable pet deposits for her animals, and repaired damage that she did to the apartment through carelessness, so I have no moral obligation to split the refund with her.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Rollersnake posted:

What's the best internet service option in the US for someone who's starting a job that will require her to relocate (possibly to a different state) every three months? Girlfriend's mother asked me to solve this problem for her, but it isn't something I ever thought about.

I think most cell phone companies have 3G or 4G wireless internet service at this point. That would probably be your best bet. Or have her ask other people who work where she's working what they do.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

The Geoff posted:

A mate of mine vomited over part of my couch and over the carpet at a party last night. Someone said you have to wash it off with vinegar :negative:

Now my couch, carpet, cushions and coffee table reek of vinegar AND vomit. How do you get rid of the smell?? Also, some vinegar slopped on the (laminated wood) coffee table and it's stained parts of the table a whitish colour. Can I reverse this?

I did the same thing, but for cat pee. I wound up with a chair that reeked of vinegar and stunk up my whole apartment. I actually asked about it a page or two back and got no response. What worked for me was liberal amounts of febreeze and baking soda.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Companies pay the temp agency to send you out to work for them. So you get paid by the agency and the agency gets paid by the company you're working for. I think a lot of places have some kind of clause that if the company wants to hire you directly after you've temped for them, they have to pay the agency a bunch of money. It sucks because the amount they're paying for your work is way higher than the amount you're actually getting paid.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm pretty sure you don't interview for the positions a temp agency sends you to. That's the advantage of hiring a temporary worker. If the company was going to go through the whole process of screening applicants and everything, they would just do it themselves and pay the $9/hour, rather than pay $12-15 an hour or whatever for $9 an hour worth of work.

I think you guys are talking about another kind of agency.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

drat Bananas posted:

Cool, I googled information about them and I'll definitely switch to them when I'm living in a place long enough for their lifespan, but I'm only here through December. I guess I could take the expensive-ish things with me when I leave but that seems like a dick move to my landlord since when I moved in all bulbs were included.

Take the bulbs you have now and put them in a box and put it in a cabinet in your kitchen or bathroom. Then just swap them back when you move out.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
My laptop has been trying to install updates for over 24 hours. The screen just says, "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 3 of 16." That's not an example. It has literally been working on the third out of sixteen updates for more than a day. Is this normal? What should I do about it if it's not normal? Why is it installing 16 loving updates at once? I shut it down pretty much every couple of days at least, so it's not like I just haven't updated it in months.

I tried google, but I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff, so I didn't really know what to ask or how to interpret the answers I found. Same reason I'm asking in this thread and not in a more appropriate subforum.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Do those paper toilet seat covers actually do anything from a disease-transmission perspective, or are they just there to make us feel better?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Creepy Crawlers sounds like what you're talking about, but I don't think they were candy. They kind of looked like gummy candy, though, as I recall.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Elijya posted:

I assume by Shreks you mean ogres from the Shrek movies? In a world where they exist, Ogres would have to be related to humans genetically. There's just too many obvious anatomical similarities, so they would also be primates. But just like you couldn't impregnate another species of ape, you could not impregnate an ogre. The physical dissimilarities point to enough genetic drift that our DNA would not pair properly.

I don't think this is correct. In the world where Shrek-type ogres exist, there are also donkey/dragon hybrids and I don't think we can reasonably assume that dragons and donkeys are genetically similar at all. So I think ogre/human hybrids are not out of the question.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Did you try rubbing alcohol, Binowru?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Elijya posted:

What stadiums are these? How can they possibly sell tickets for a game even a few years from now, let alone 20?

Green Bay Packers.

I guess it's not impossible to get tickets, but it's pretty hard.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Does it look like human poo poo or dog poo poo or what?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

baquerd posted:

There aren't any such gasses, you were also given something else in addition to the nitrous or you were in fact knocked out.

People react differently to different drugs. Nitrous can make people act pretty goofy.

Anyway, OMG, you can buy one of those little dental mirrors at any drug store. They should be in the section with toothbrushes and other dental junk. You should buy one of those and just look and see what's going on. If it's a wisdom tooth coming in, it's not that big of a deal. If it's a broken tooth, it could potentially be a big deal.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Lil' Wayne is Weezie, Chris Brown is Breezie. It's just a thing. It doesn't mean anything.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

baquerd posted:

Nitrous does not cause black outs unless you are depriving the person of oxygen. They probably gave him some benzos and he doesn't even remember because well, benzos.

It may not cause honest-to-God blackouts, but I've had experiences with nitrous that I think would be reasonable to describe as blackouts. I was not unconscious, but afterward, I had really patchy memory of what I experienced while I was affected. I've blacked out on alcohol plenty of times and that's pretty much how I would describe a blackout.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Basically, all alcohol is going to smell like alcohol. Everything except vodka is going to smell like other stuff, too. The alcohol smell doesn't really last that long, but the other smells stick around longer. Just don't spill any on yourself and you'll be fine.

The breath mints or gum or whatever isn't so much to mask the smell of the alcohol as it is to cover up the drunk breath, which doesn't really smell like alcohol. It just smells like really, really bad breath.

Edit: What Kapalama said is true, too. Most of the alcoholics I know who drink at work and get away with it don't drink very much at work. You just want to keep the tiniest buzz on. Of course, if you drink much more than that, it's going to be your behavior that gives you away. Stumbling, slurring, saying inappropriate things, and loving up at your job.

Eyeball fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 18, 2010

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Try to make it to lunchtime without a drink if you can. Depending on your job, people will tend to be more likely to shrug off a "has a drink or two at lunch" type of alcoholic than a "drinks in the car on the way to work" type of alcoholic.

Alternately, since you are apparently not a full-blown alcoholic yet, maybe it would be better to talk to some kind of professional about what is bothering you. It's not as romantic as developing a drinking problem, and depending on the problem, maybe drinking it away is better than talking about it, but it's something to consider.

And don't forget to drink a lot of water. If you don't, you're going to feel like poo poo. Once people start to catch on that you're an alcoholic (and they will, regardless of how well you think you're hiding it) they will still tend to mind their own business, but calling in sick because you're hung over makes it everyone's business, and when people know you have a drinking problem, every time you call in will be attributed to a hangover.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I've noticed that the consistency of that pre-vomit saliva tends to be a little slimier than regular saliva, which has lead me to a few hypotheses that I can't really test. My favorite one is that it is supposed to coat your mouth and throat to partially protect them from the damage done by stomach acid.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

BigPoopMayor posted:

Tell me the name of the 2d Platformer game for PC that you played as a ball, and would have to change into different balls to solve different puzzles; glass, hard rubber, bouncy rubber etc. I may be completely wrong but I remember the name being something like "The Long Journey"

Ballance?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
At US/Canada border crossings, do they ever check to see if you have proof of insurance?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm on a first-name basis with about a dozen people who's primary occupation is doing whatever they have to do to get some crack. On my way home from work tonight, I noticed that the first of about six entryways I pass that usually have homeless people camped out in them was unoccupied. I have, in my life, encountered at least a hundred sites that showed clear evidence of being used as a campsite for homeless people. I have encountered these sites in industrial areas, business/shopping areas, suburban areas, and everywhere in between.

I have not only never seen a burning oil drum fire in the city, but I have never seen an oil drum that looked like it had been used as a burning oil drum fire or was going to be used as a burning oil drum fire.

Maybe my city just doesn't have that many unattended oil drums, though. Or maybe my city's homeless would rather spend their time on other activities besides wrangling 55-gallon drums around town.

revolther posted:

What kind of legal basis could there be prohibit something so primal to man's existence if property damage is taken out of the equation?

There are a lot of things that are "primal to man's existence" that are illegal to do on the streets. In fact, pretty much everything that could be described that way is illegal to do in public, besides eating and talking.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is there a standard format for rap lyrics?

No.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Whenever I have worn a hat with any kind of brim, it always blows off very easily in wind or if I run (and I am not a fast runner). When I watch movies, I see people do all kinds of crazy poo poo with hats on, but that's movies. But cowboy hats are strongly associated with riding horses, which are much, much faster than I am.

How do cowboys keep their hats on?

(I know some cowboy-type hats have some type of chin strap, but I think most that I see don't have anything like that.)

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks, Moscow Mule. I guess I never considered the possibility that cowboys do lose their hats on occasion.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
So why are guns setting it off? I had a little pistol that set off the anti-theft things at this one Toys'R'Us. That kind of sucked.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Pogo the Clown posted:

Obviously I don't know about specific examples, but I've never known a store to have regular metal detectors. Are you sure it was the gun, and not let's say a jacket you happen to wear often? I've even seen these tags hidden inside the soles of shoes.

I can't speak for Bojanglesworth, but I definitely confirmed that it was the pistol that was setting off the alarm. That's the only time I've had one of those alarms go off on me, other than stuff that didn't get properly demagnetized right before I walked out of the store.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Pogo the Clown posted:

Sounds like you may have tried to put the gun through separately, which doesn't necessarily mean you didn't set off the towers with another item on you.

I actually handed the gun to the manager and walked through without it. No holster. It was a North American Arms mini-revolover, which is a very small gun. I would just carry it in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

kapalama posted:

Again those government desks are a bear to get home but generally worth it since they are built like tanks. And no chance of tipping.

I'm not really a deskologist, but I think if regular desks are too prone to tipping for you, then maybe desks aren't the ideal furniture for the activity you are using them for.

Question: How much of a stretch is it to call a skill learned primarily by watching youtube videos "self-taught". It's sort of like having lessons because it is videos of people literally giving you lessons. But you can't ask them questions when you don't understand something or get feedback so you know when you are doing something wrong, so it's really not the same kind of thing at all.