Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

Forgive me for this question, but I couldn't find a general dating megathread.

Is there a 'rule of conduct' on asking out a cashier? Is it ok to just flat-out ask her out for a cup of coffee or should I leave her a note? I think I could easily ask her out without coming over as creepy.

Btw, I am a regular customer. While we chat very briefly when I'm there, I have no reason to believe she is into me, but I would love to chat with her for >30 sec over a warm beverage.

Thanks goons.

This comes up on pretty much a weekly basis in E/N Bullshit. If you want all the ins and outs, go dig up one of those threads. Bottom line, just ask her out (with your facehole, not a note) and if she says yes, settle the details, but if she says anything other than yes, drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Just take her to an Asian or African restaurant and imply that she's racist if she has a problem with how the food is prepared. Or just take her to a vegetarian restaurant.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Angora posted:

I just got my graduate school diploma and want to get it professionally framed.

How much is that going to run me?

Unless it's an engineering degree, you can't afford it.
:goonsay:

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Dissociation.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
If I thumbs-down a song on Pandora, does it interpret that as "I don't like that song" or as "that isn't what I want from this station"?

I like Sympathy for the Devil, but the Rolling Stones don't really go with the 70's/80's punk/ska station I'm trying to listen to.

Eyeball fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 29, 2011

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

RaoulDuke12 posted:

How about this one?

What can I do:

1. at night
2. that doesn't involve eating or drinking
3. with a significant other of the opposite sex

Aside from movie/play/TV/concert/bowling/sexing, I can't think of anything. Especially that can be done last minute.

What's wrong with bowling, TV, movies, plays, and sexing?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Encryptic, just call or stop by your local Nissan dealership and ask them about it. They should be able to tell you which locks, if any, require a special key, and which you can open with a regular key.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm the kind of person that doesn't listen to an album more than 3-4 times...

I was not aware that there was a kind of person like that. But there's still all kinds of stuff to do. Golf (regular or putt-putt), hiking, strip clubs, going to see live music, dancing classes, art classes, classes on anything you both have a mutual interest in, shooting, or just driving around aimlessly. Also, you can get drunk and/or high, either just to party, or in combination with any other activity on that list except driving around. People will say you shouldn't get hosed up and play with guns, but Hunter S. Thompson would say go for it. You like Hunter S. Thompson, right? He wouldn't steer you wrong.

Or check out sites like groupon.com and livingsocial.com. You can get half-price coupons to do things it never would have occurred to you to do, or to go to restaurants you never would have gone to.

Raoul Duke would get hosed up and drive around and shoot at poo poo that may or may not actually be there. I don't advocate driving under the influence, though, and you don't really need to leave your yard or apartment or whatever to get drunk and shoot guns.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I was just curious if there was some other big thing people do at night socially. In the 50's, I guess it would've been sitting in your car at a diner and loving around with your friends or going to a drag race in the aqueduct. The equivalent of that.

People go to clubs or bars and they listen to music and drink and/or take drugs and possibly dance. Seriously, how do you not know about this?

Or if you do a lot of poo poo during the day, you just stay in and unwind.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

marshmallard posted:

I'd like an MP3 player that:

- Doesn't look like a fake iPod
- Allows me to just drag and drop music onto it like a Flash drive
- Has a screen (doesn't have to be big enough for videos)
- Comes in colours (ideally)

Does this exist? I've looked all over the place :(

I think that's just called a cell phone now.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
How do you pronounce the word, serif? I usually pronounce it like sheriff, but I can imagine several other possible pronunciations. It's not something that comes up in conversation a lot for me, but it's about to.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Cookie Kwan posted:

Would it be bad etiquette to ask the girl next to me at work not to play her Christian music next to me or would I sound like an ogre? I have no problems with people playing music next to me, but I do have a problem with it when it is Hillsong. Makes me uncomfortable.

In terms of manners, she shouldn't be playing music loud enough for others to hear without making sure it doesn't bother them. It seems like the real question is whether she would be offended if you ask her to turn her music off, which ultimately has nothing to do with etiquette. We can't answer that.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

John Redcorn posted:

Selling copper data/telcom cable? ethics and poo poo, keeping job not going to jail.

If you are supposed to get rid of it, and they didn't tell you specifically how to get rid of it, then get rid of it however you feel like. You could tell whoever gave you the task that it would cost X dollars for the recycling company to come pick it up, but you are going to save them money by taking care of it yourself. It's called taking initiative.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What's the name of the of weird censorship rules on American media in like the thirties or the fifties or whatever? It was similar to the Comics Code, if I'm remembering it correctly.

VVV That's the one. Thank you, pylb.

Eyeball fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 15, 2011

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I'm not trying to stop him, I'm wondering if any of you have any advice or experience that I can give that will make sure he doesn't end up sutured to some dude's rear end in a top hat and that he has a good time.

If he's not a complete idiot, he will be fine. That whole region is pretty civilized these days.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, why can't you use rit dye for your hair? I know nothing about rit dye except that it makes my clothes pretty. While dyeing something, that thought crossed my mind. So I'm kind of curious. "It's a different chemical you moron" is kinda obvious and I'd imagine if it took it'd be permanent, right? No?

So if you want blue hair, why can't you set up a bucket full of blue rit dye and flop your hair in it for ten minutes?

What makes you think you can't dye your hair with Rit? I'm pretty sure that's what people used to dye their hair non-natural colors before dyes specifically marketed as hair dye in those colors became widely available.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Bloody Mayhem posted:

My Blackberry got stolen last night. Luckily I had an insurance with my carrier, though I'll still have to pay the 150$ deductible (:canada:). The problem is I don't have a landline and I live alone, so I'm virtually unreachable until I get my new phone next Thursday.

So, I've looked around and seen that online texting is possible, but I was wondering if goons knew of any trustworthy sites that would work with Bell Canada. Is that kind of messaging two-way?

If you know anybody who can't use facebook and email from their phone, what are they going to tell you? Their theories about Lost?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
That infographic looks like an advertisement for something called a "cdbaby."

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

xcdude24 posted:

I recently lost my mail key, and since there's no spare for it, they're going to have to call in a locksmith. Does anyone have a general idea as to how much this will cost?

Depending on how your mailboxes are set up, you might be able to get the lock off and take it in to a locksmith, in which case, it won't be very expensive. But if they have to come to you, that usually costs a lot more.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Pootie, that kind of question is probably suited for its own thread, since you're looking for responses from multiple people about a fairly general topic.

I went from living in a huge house with a bunch of dudes to living in a one-bedroom with a girl for a couple of years, and just today I got a note slipped under my door that the lease on my studio is coming to an end. To answer your questions, yeah pretty much, shelves, and this is why this is suitable for its own thread. Really, the only major lifestyle difference that I've noticed is that I'm way less cool with having a drunk friend crash on the couch. Also, if you're a messy person, it will be harder to keep clean and you can't just throw everything in your bedroom to make your living room suitable for company on short notice. I was pretty reluctant to even look at studios, but now I think if I move somewhere else, I will stick with studios unless I find a screamin' deal on a one-bedroom. I don't know how many studios you've seen, but check some out. There are a lot of different types of floor plans. I've seen a lot of studios that do sort of have bedrooms, just nothing that can be legally considered a bedroom.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What's that deal with automobile racing and milk?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

b0nes posted:

Only thing is that it sucks balls, but it is better than nothing I guess. if you were in Japan you could get 100mb up/100mb down service pretty cheap.

If he can't afford to put a satellite into orbit, he probably is looking for an island that is cheaper to purchase than Japan.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Gravity Pike posted:

I live in Seattle, if it makes a difference at all.

The last time I was looking for a dentist, I just looked up dentists on google and picked based on location. I wound up with some guy in the building next to the Bartell Drug store on 5th and Olive. I can't remember the name of the dentist, but they were awesome and so were the people at the dental surgeon next door. I've heard good things about Pike Place Market Dental, too.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Costco isn't like Walmart where they basically force manufacturers to reduce their quality in order to meet a price point. They have a lot of generic stuff, but their name brand stuff is legitimate. I'm sure that once it opens, you will have an opportunity to browse their inventory.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

change my name posted:

a floating bit

Probably, but maybe not. It depends on what you actually mean by "a floating bit."

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Thauros posted:

My rear end in a top hat cat chewed through the power adaptor for my Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive.

Can you show us a picture of the damage? It looks like you want something that puts out 12 volts DC at 2 amps. I could be wrong about the numbers, but the bottom line is you need something that will put out the correct amount of volts and amps and will connect to your drive. The first part is pretty trivial, but the second part can be tricky, depending on what you're working with. Can you show us a picture of the part that plugs into the drive? Worst comes to worst, you could get an adapter that puts out the right amount of juice and splice the old connector onto it.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What Dr. 0050 is talking about is called a secured credit card.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
My cell phone keeps just completely powering off on it's own. I want to try to google it out myself, but I don't even know how to describe that problem in a way that will return anything useful.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks. That seems to be working better than what I was trying before.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
It's an Epic. But I don't really want to use this thread for tech support for my phone. It does seem to be a fairly common problem.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Really? Did they upgrade Google Goggles significantly in the past couple of months? When I was loving around with it, it wouldn't even give me any hits on the logo for the multinational corporation I work for.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Just say it's not going to be possible this time and if they are going to need you on one of your off days in the future, you'll need a little bit more advanced notice.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by Will Cuppy is a pretty fun read. It's pretty much just about Europe from what I recall, though.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Newf posted:

Can I use a straightening iron to iron my clothes?

I could see this maybe working for a tie, maybe, but it would be such a huge pain in the rear end for anything else. The amount of time it would take, even half-assing it would be loving ridiculous and a proper iron is not expensive at all.

If you don't have an ironing board, that's pretty easy to work around, but there's not much you can substitute for an iron. If you have a cast-iron skillet or something, you might could use that. Just make sure the bottom of it is super clean, and it's still going to be pretty time consuming..

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Tostito posted:

Blogger or Wordpress? Which do you prefer and why? Seems to be hotly debated.

I think anything that's "hotly debated" is well beyond the scope of this thread.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Aggro posted:

I just don't want my skin to rub n the back of the drat shoe.

If they're nice shoes, I'd take them to a shoe repair place and have a professional fix it.

Or wear thicker socks.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I used to do customer service for a place that did business this way. I reversed charges all the time for people who just admitted that they hosed up and asked me politely to help them out. YMMV.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

blaarghh posted:

Why do my t-shirts/vests/tank tops twist in the wash? I buy them brand new and after one wash the side seams have moved around so one is at the front and another at the back, making the top look weird and lopsided when I wear it. Does anyone else get this, and is there a way of preventing it from happening or reversing it?

What dryer setting do you dry them on? Cotton shrinks, and I guess it can happen unevenly. It seems weird that it's happening to all your t-shirts, though. Can you post a picture of exactly what you're talking about? Is it possible that your body is somehow lopsided? I find that when I'm wearing jeans, the left leg twists to the point where the inseam is resting above the tongue of my sneakers, but the right leg is exactly how it is supposed to be. It seriously happens with every single pair of jeans that I own, but not with any other kind of pants. I have been forced to accept the fact that the fault lies not with the trousers, but with myself.

And I have a clothing-related question of my own. I wear a button-up shirt with a tie and slacks to work, but my job involves a fairly constant level of physical activity that most people wearing business attire don't really have to deal with. My shirt comes untucked constantly. Is there any solution to this that doesn't involve me shoving my hands down my pants every ten minutes?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm not really ready to go the suspenders route, although I have considered it. I don't think that my shirts are too short. They don't come completely untucked. But after a short time, it gets to a point where it's just kind of sloppy looking.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks, Hooah. Are those stirrups for your feet on the bottom end? That seems like it would be really weird to wear, but I might be able to modify it into something useful. Do you know what they're called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
How much should I expect to pay to have a watch battery replaced?